Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG-Starter-Package

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by DevionGames, Feb 26, 2011.

1. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

can u make a tutorial for me zerano? plsss

a blank scene and will run as same as ur project even though it will work in player that i will attach in player

what script do i attach? thats all i nid to ur answer and thats my final request what script in the player?!!

2. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

ok if you dont want to help zerano... i regret of this!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. DevionGames

DevionGames

It is not as simple as you think, there are scripts interacting with each other. So you need the scripts on the Core gameobject. I can not remember what scripts need to be attached on the player, i will look into the example prefab(currently i have a slow connection, so i can not download this kit from my ftp, next week i am at my study room and will download it...)

4. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

i hope u will upload it... thank u!

5. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

I'll me waiting for ur help zerano thank u... i appreciate it

6. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

zerano... were is ur word? :)

7. DevionGames

DevionGames

8. joevenlim143

joevenlim143

9. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok everyone just to let you know whats going on with the package.... here is what is in the works currently for the next release. We have not settled on a price yet for new purchases, its difficult due to my team being unsure of exactally how long it will take to do so we arent sure what would be a fair price for the work as of yet. We are however open to suggestions. There are more plans being made for updates past this one we at PMG simply feel that it would be premature to announce these things yet.

• Restructure of game data porting to xml and elimiating the use of enums
    • removing the models and so forth to allow users to more easily customize the game for their target genre
    • Still implimenting the Class/Profession system
    • Added more attributes to players NPC's and Items
    • Reworking the skills and spells system to make it easier to work with and change it from being hard coded
    • Adding to and Tweaking the Editors to make the entire system easier to use and the editor interface more intuitive and user friendly
    • Adding a "guild" type of system for advanced classes/professions
    • Swimming, weather systems, support for interior scenes dynamic entry points,

10. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Nice work. Keep us posted with some pics please.

11. kbrooker

kbrooker

ok after ALOT of internal discussion we decided to go with sqlite for data storage for the single player version also we will be making the client run a server behind the scenes ( think doom and most other game setups where you have a multiplayer or single player option and can open a console window and type in commands and such) stay tuned

And yes dreamlarp ill be posting some as soon as i have something other than code to show

12. Houdini

Houdini

Is this asset still available to purchase? From what I see the old version is no longer available to purchase and the new version isn't ready yet...

13. kbrooker

kbrooker

I will be putting up the current version for purchase ASAP the new version will have a complete rewrite of the data system so it's a ways off...

14. Houdini

Houdini

If I purchase the current version now, will I get free update to the new version when it's released?

15. kbrooker

kbrooker

Well sense the new version is going to pretty much be a 95% rewrite we will probably charge for it and just discount owners we can verify of the original kit

16. tataienstein

tataienstein

that means we have to buy it again?

17. kbrooker

kbrooker

not if you want to keep the old kit, we are entirely redoing the kit top to bottom e.g. 100 % rewrite so yes as it will be a totally new product you will have to buy it. this is not the direction we were originally going to go we were originally going to simply build onto what was already there but after we dug into the code and figured out it would take twice as much work to adapt it as it would be to simply write our own code from the ground up. so since we are going to remake it from the ground up we are now marketing it as a completely new product because that is what it will be. I will be making a new thread with a list of the features and a few screenshots of the example game shortly but in the interim...

We are working on implementation of sqlite for the database which will contain all data for the game content everything from what playable races and classes there are to pc's and npc's to inventory, spells, skills, items, abilities, shops, quests, also we are implementing an in game console in which commands can be typed (this is going to be a single player game with a multiplayer option which will later be expanded on to be able to be used as an MMORPG. These are just some of the things we are doing. It will be written in C#.

18. RoyS

RoyS

Will it also have item drop back into the world like Skyrim and crafting?

Can you do an add-on (pay extra for) for Arteria's character change?

When do you plan on completing this?

19. kbrooker

kbrooker

in the mmo version there will be crafting and most likely player housing. We will not be including any artwork other than some very basic primitive placeholders for examples of how to do various things so no we won't be including artwork either ours or third party packs, what i will say is that the plan is for it to be as robust as possible and as generic as possible so that people can use it to make an rpg or mmorpg of any genre they wish to not just fantasy. which is our reason for distribution without artwork.

20. RoyS

RoyS

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking for artwork, only the scripts to make that type of system work.

What do you mean "player housing"?

"Item drop" is so you can put trophies on tables or drop items you don't want.

21. kbrooker

kbrooker

player housing is what was in place in various mom's most notably SWG in which a player can go to a designated area in a zone place a "house" or building and then place items in it furniture, excess items, decorations whatever and keep it there. obviously you will be able to drop items in world but they will not be persistent no as that just seems like a waste of resources tbqh that is what banking and storage systems are for i see no need for dropping an item in the world and having it remain there permanently all that would do is increase load times exponentially with no real benefit. there will be methods in place for both multiple race support and gender support if that is what you are referring to in terms of the character change question... I hope this answers your questions

22. maevin

maevin

Any news on this project?

23. kbrooker

kbrooker

I have recieved several emails and pm's and even phone calls regarding the kit and adding support for various pieces of third party software and assets, allow me to dispell the rumors now...

There will be NO support added for any third party assets, software, models and the like. The reasons for this are simple;
    Licensing ( We dont want to purchase assets and software we have no intention of ever using ourselves or the headache of having to deal with third party licenses and redistribution rules)
    Support ( We wont offer support of any kind for any third party materials support extends to the kit alone)
    Updating ( each time a third party changes or updates their assets we would have to update or change the kit or risk having things broken and having compatibility issues)
    Architecture ( The kit is being designed as a single player game and a standalone asset meaning you import the package and without any other packages needed you have a fully functional single player game that is lacking only content and settings tweaking)

Now that said there are already multiplayer and mmo kits in the early stages of design by the development team those two will be standalone as well.

As for the requests of news development progresses but due to it being the holiday season it is slow going as the development team has other obligations as well and families and the like. We are still working on implimenting SQLite and untill that is completed there wont be any releases or news as that is the entire backbone of the kit

24. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok I have setup a Facebook Page for My company PMG which will have up to date information on the Kit we are developing and other unity base projects we undertake which will include our multiplayer and MMO kit packages. I created this to consolidate things and make it a bit simpler for me to keep people up to date on the development of the kit our games and so forth. That way i dont have to check so many places to see if people are asking me questions or updating people.

So without further adieu... http://www.facebook.com/prestigemultimedia

25. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok some news work progresses nicely the class/profession system is now functional as is gender model switching and race switching. Our development strategy is twofold while the our sqlite expert is developing the new database, I and our other team member are working on enhancing the current codebase, adding features making existing ones more efficient and so forth. Our goal is to release a heavily enhanced, and tweaked version of the kit by christmas this year with the entirely new version with the sqlite database early next year. the profession system is the major update that the xmas release is looking at due to there being so much involved in it. Being able to select a profession is one little piece, having profession specific abilities and so forth various bonuses and equipment and all of that is a big task. Also on the list of tweaks is race based stats and bonuses, full translation of the source and text to english, and making the kit more genre generic and other little tweaks and changes. so that is where we are at currently

26. kbrooker

kbrooker

With the release of unity 4 We are working to make sure the kit is compatible with unity 4 prior to release. I am sorry it was brought to my attention that is something i left out of my last announcement but is something we have been working on since the beta went public. also look for my thread about the kit in its new form asap

27. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok so Got some more news, and a few questions to answer...

First the news.

I have the new XML based data system operational but not completed.
    Race features now include the following:
    • Race Based Stats and Skill Bonuses
    • Genders for playable races
    • Race based Class/Profession Selections
    • Race based Spells and Skills (Dependant on Profession/Class )
    • Race Based Starting Location Support
    • Race Based Equipment Limitations Support

Class/ Profession System features now include the following:
    • Class Based Stats and Skill Bonuses
    • Equipment Limitation Support
    • Class Based Quests
    • Spells Skills/abilities

I hope these also covered the questions in my inbox as well

there has also been ALOT of work on the editors basicly everything can be added edited or tweaked via the new editor system i have implemented

28. RGreulich

RGreulich

Any info on a release date? Ive been using another RPG kit that I purchased form the asset store and the more I work with it, the more issues I find. The documentation is severely lacking and the author does not seem as active as he once was.

What is the combat system going to be like? The kit I am using, the combat is particularly poor.

29. hike1

hike1

The kit I am using, the combat is particularly poor.
    unquote

I hear you, too bad, I'm going to try to extract the parts that work and put them in my own game, probably have to learn a lot
    of programming.

30. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok so I feel the need to clarify some things...

When you purchase this asset you are not the owner of the software, you purchase a license to use it in your projects, therefore after internal discussion, it is against the eula to pull pieces of our copyrighted code out and stick it into your projects. The kit must remain whole or it is a violation of the eula, however it seems like this may be an issue and something that we are discussing internally how to avoid. It may mean that alot of the backend ends up being precompiled libraries... I just do not know yet.

There will be varying license levels...
    The basic license the user must retain all copyright notices in the source code as well as the PMG Branding in the credits of the game. This will probably be the precompiled libraries version.
    Another license will be available that allows rebranding and some source access.
    and the highest license level will be full source access and rebranding.

Also, for the most part I have gotten alot of good response from the community regarding this project. And a bit of not so good feedback... This is disheartening due to the fact that a great deal of work is going into this kit. Work that could be put into PMG's other gaming projects currently underway. It saddens me that we at PMG even had to discuss these issues or try to come up with varying license levels now. But some people are just greedy i suppose. They feel that they deserve to pay 70 dollars for something that out of box with almost no work on their part gives them a game that all they need to do is customize the content in. We did not nor are there plans to ask for royalties but we may impose limits on the amount of games that can be created with this kit... I just do not know... The truth is that after reading these few messages in my inbox my generosity with this project has waned significantly...

This project has gotten months of my life devoted to it. We at pmg have attempted to create the most complete robust unity RPG kit available to people literally a working game out of box that the end user only has to customize to suit their needs for their game... and i get these kinds of replies after devoting so much time and effort to this already. it makes me wonder why I am even bothering to be completely honest.

31. kbrooker

kbrooker

Ok Here is an update. Our dev has been taking classes and so forth BUT what he is working on is a wonderful piece of the kit. Procedural Terrains created from heighmaps and editable from an editor within the game or a new tool he is creating for us... this allows for the ability to make enormous terrains which you can travel on infinitely in any direction and never actually stop which is fully compatible with ios and other devices due to lowering the draw calls below 20 screenshots will follow of both the mechanism of generating the terrain and also the editor as it gets created