Search Unity

3D Radar UI : Beta-2d July-22-2016

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ForceX, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ForceX

ForceX

Current Beta-2e July-27-2016 (New C#)
    Updating May Require Script Resets

Unity Version 5.4.0f2

About The Beta:

The Beta version is a complete rewrite of the previous JS version using C# with a focus on using Unity's new UI.

What does Beta mean?
    Beta means that the Core features of the radar are complete and functional but is still going through development and changes are to still be expected.

Current version release notes
    Update ForceX 3D Radar UI Beta-2,a,b,c,d,e Unity 5.4.0f2

New Features:
    Added Key Input bindings for Radar Zoom In, Radar Zoom Out, Radar Zoom Normal to the FX_Input_Mgr
    2. Added Texture Overrides for the Radar depending on Zoom/Boost level to the FX_3DRadar_Mgr.
    Texture fields are located FX_3DRadar_Mgr--> Radar Display Setup --> Radar Zoom (Texture Override)
    (Beta 2a) Added the ability to assign UI Text elements for information display regarding Radar range and the selected Target info. Assignable fields can be found FX_3DRadar_Mgr --> HUD Display Settings --> HUD Info Display (UI Text)
    4. (Beta 2b) Added UI Text element for Sub Component Targeting.

Changes:
    Activating the inspector for FX_3DRadar_Mgr, FX_3DRadar_RID, FX_Class_Mgr, FX_Faction_Mgr will initiate an Undo event. This will allow the scene to be saved if changes to a scene were done on one of the inspectors and not the scene objects them self.
    2. Faction & Class selections is now done via Drop Down list instead of a slider.
    3. Root folder name change
    4. (Beta 2c) Made changes to the Setup document
    5. (Beta 2c) The _GameMgr will now automatically set its correct position, rotation, & scale on edit and Start()

Fixes:
    1. (Beta 2b) Fixed Sub Component Tag name check when selecting sub components with the keyboard.

2. (Beta 2d) Removed missing scripts from Target Objects in the Radar demo scene.
    3. (Beta 2e) Fixes for Unity 5.4 RectTransform changes.

To Do:
    Create full fledged documents. Currently there are only quick setup text files.

About The Radar
    The 3D Radar unity package will allow you to incorporate a robust screen space 3D Radar, Targeting, & Faction Management systems into your project.

3D Radar Features
    1. Built around Unitys new UI system
    2. Targeting features commonly found in space sims & sub component targeting.
    3. Use NAV points to show your next location.
    4. Unique object identifier Icons. Each object that can be detected by the radar system can have its own unique ID. Why settle for dots when you can give it your own unique look.
    5. Have different sound effects for different events, such as, Hostile in range, cycle target, clear target.
    6. Blind radar can allow certain objects to block radar LOS preventing a contact from being detected.
    7. Pulse radar will cause the radar update in fixed time intervals.
    8. Pulse animation can be used & linked with the Pulse radar feature to animate the radar.
    9. Easily disable a objects radar ID to make it undetectable by radar. aka Stealth / Cloaked states.
    10. Target Lead Indicator displays a firing point that will lead the target. Requires a projectile velocity.
    11. Built in method for rendering the radar to a texture to be placed inside of a cockpit.
    12. Display an objects bounding size with Bounds Corner Indicators
    13. Switch between 3D and 2D top down radar views.
    14. 3D radar view supports two viewing styles Orthographic & Perspective for distinctive looks.
    15. Easily customize the key assignments & input modifiers (+shift, +Ctrl, +alt) with the FX_Input_Mgr script.
    16. Store up to four targets & quickly recall them with the press of a button when needed.
    17. Local Radar will automatically build a list of Hostiles for each target based on faction relations.
    18. Radar Pointer can point to any assigned object in world and will show the direction in the radar.

Faction Manager Features
    1. Ability to create up to 32 factions / races.
    2. Set relationship values for each race. Make them Hate or Love one another.
    3. Relationship values determine if a faction will be hostile or friendly towards the player or towards other factions.
    4. Assign the player their own relationship values for each faction independent of the faction they are associated with.

3D Radar Key Mapping
    E : Closest Hostile
    R : Next Hostile
    F : Previous Hostile
    T : Next target
    Y : Previous target
    U : Closest target
    C : Clear target

M : Next SubComponent Target
    N : Previous SubComponent Target
    B : Clear SubComponent Target

K : NAV Scroll List
    L : Target Scroll List
    H : Filter Hostile Contacts

See the Web DEMO

See what others are doing with the 3D Radar

NeonXSZ by V4nKw15h

DEMO by PhilippeDu60

Updating From Previous Versions
    • Updating to Beta 2 from previous versions may require script resets or errors will occur.
    • If updating it may be required that the Radar & HUD Target Selection Indicator be reassigned in the FX_3DRadar_Mgr.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    John-G, MD_Reptile, Proto-G and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike L

Mike L

thats awesome

3. CodeCody

CodeCody

I was just trying to make a 3d radar about a week ago. And now you post a much better thing then what I had and your not done with it yet... I hate you jk lol. No it does look good so far and I' pretty sure quite a few people will be interested in it.

4. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

quite a few indeed... i'm jealous too, but mainly because he has a geforce 480

5. ForceX

ForceX

Updated 3D Radar. Now includes textures to represent the game objects. You can see the updated Radar Webplayer in the first post.

Joystick needed to move around.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  6. ForceX

ForceX

Updated the webplayer to include some assets that i've been working on. The big thing in the distance is just something i threw together just to have something large.

Joystick needed to fly around.

I am curious if your speed is to fast. On my system it seams like my joystick throttle only registers from 0 -> 0.1. Instead of 0 -> 1. So if your joystick registers all the way to 1 then you may go really fast. Duno what the problem is there.

7. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

ForceX, this is incredible, i used my 360 controller to fly around, it is way more cohesive than the last webplayer.

8. ForceX

ForceX

@ScienceFictionado : Thanks. Thats cool that you could use your 360 controller. I've still got to get my IFF Targeting system re-implemented and get the targeting selection box to highlight the current target. This is done i just have not brought it in and incorporated it into this new radar. I also have other style of radar that will display angle vector as well as the current display method. I'm thinking of having a Navi Radar that will display all radar targets then a combat radar that will only show your currently selected target and or enemy's. So I've got some more ideas of what to add and am working on how best to incorporate them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

will you be releasing the code for your radar?

10. HolBol

HolBol

Dude, looks great, but my question is: How did you get the triggers on the 360 controller to give analogue signals? I've only managed to get unity doing digital...

11. ForceX

ForceX

Once i get it to a point i feel like it's ready i may release it. Any updates i'll post here in this forum.

12. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

i'm not sure that forcex has a 360 controller... ForceX the xbox 360 triggers control throttle, so the answer to fishman's question is in how you set up the throttle control.

13. ForceX

ForceX

In the build you used your 360 controller the throttle was set to the joystick axis 6. Thats the axis for my Saitek X52 Pro.. To see if there was a problem with my throttle slider i switched to my logitech joystick who's throttle slider is joystick axis 3. Which is what is plugged in right now. I think this should make things more universal for the time being until i make a custom input manager.

Here is what i know about joystick axis so far.

Saitek X52 Pro:
    Up / Down - Y
    Left / Right - X
    Stick Twist - 6th axis
    Throttle Slider - 3rd axis

Logitech 3D Pro:
    Up / Down - Y
    Left / Right - X
    Stick Twist - 3th axis
    Throttle Slider - 4th axis

Microsoft Side Winder 3D
    Up / Down - Y
    Left / Right - X
    Stick Twist - 3th axis
    Throttle Slider - don't remember

So depending on the joystick i'm testing out, will change how any joystick / controller will operate.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. ForceX

ForceX

New build. You can now select targets with:

T : Next target
    R : Previous target
    E : Closest target

Next i'm going to work on a target directional indicator.

15. ForceX

ForceX

I've been attempting to create a target directional indicator and the easiest way of doing this was to use a linerenderer. Check it out and let me know what you think.

If there are some good methods of using a Texture to point to the target only on the screen space x,y regardless of if it's in front or behind i would love to hear about it.

16. ForceX

ForceX

New build.

Simple HUD information.

1. Throttle position
    2. Current speed
    3. Target Distance

17. ForceX

ForceX

New build.

1. Target ID Tag now displays above the HUD target reticule
    2. Radar ID Icons and HUD target reticule now change color through script based on the targets current IFF status.

Neutral - grey
    Friendly - blue
    Enemy - red
    Player Owned - green

3. Added new HUD speed indicator.

One of these days i'll get around to creating an AI and get some shooting involved.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  18. The3DKnight

The3DKnight

awesome man.....

19. ForceX

ForceX

New Build
    1. More HUD stuff.

This will probably be the last posted update for a while as this is no longer just about a 3D radar system, we are now into a full on space sim. All the components are there to wage war, now i need to focus on creating an AI and projectile colliders to register hits. In the mean time please try out the latest WebPlayer and give me your feedback.

As always comments, suggestions, ideas welcome.

20. ForceX

ForceX

Ok AI development is going better than expected. Here is a demo of the current AI. While you cannot kill him atm, Just try to keep up. The AI does not like it when you are on it's six. Try it HERE or in the link up top.

21. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

That's awesome man!!

How did you setup the joystick input? I mostly have a lot of trouble on Unity demos, since my Saitek Pedals are detected by unity as first joystick, and since the toebrake axes aren't centered, I'm frequently spinning around :p

Your demo, on the other hand, has no problems with it... apart from the throttle and rudder axes being out of place on my X52, the rudder pedal input is being safely ignored...

Cheers

22. ForceX

ForceX

For this demo i'm using my Logitech 3D pro joystick which has an input setting of:
    Up / Down : joystick axis Y
    Left / Right : joystick axis X
    Twist : 3rd axis Z
    Throttle : 4 thx axis..

The Saitek X52 uses:
    Up / Down : joystick axis Y
    Left / Right : joystick axis X
    Twist : 6th axis
    Throttle : 3rd axis Z

You notice that the Saitek maps there inputs differently from the Logitech / rest of the world.

As for the Pedals i'm cant say as i don't own a set, i'm not sure which joystick # it is since i have it setup to detect from all joysticks.

I posted an X52 friendly version of the AI demo on the first post.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  23. Novodantis

Novodantis

I do so miss games like xwing; they just don't seem to make em anymore. Really liking the feel of this even without textures.

Incidentally, if you're interested, my Saitek AV8R joystick responds best, as you might expect, to the X52 webplayer (minus the twist axis not functioning).

24. ForceX

ForceX

I too miss Xwing, wish they would update it to run in windows and release it out on steam like they have done with some of the other lucasarts titles.

AV8R : you would think they would have a standard for joystick axis in the industry they could follow. O well i'll just have to figure out how to let the player set the joystick input they require or build out a selection menu of pre-configured joysticks.

25. ForceX

ForceX

I've had some free time so I’ve been working on my project. I've spent a lot of time cleaning up the code, consolidating a lot of redundant math functions and preventing some code from running when it's not necessary. I've also been developing a system for the Ships to easily have components installed and removed, along with that is a turret system. This system easily sets the placement / orientation of the turret, the type of turret, what it shoots, ect. I've also implemented sub component targeting. This will allow you to select the sub components on a selected target. You can see a simple example of this in the link on the first post under the Current WIP DEMO or HERE, as well as instructions on how to use the targeting system.

This WebPlayer i have the GUI and Cockpit disabled. This is for those with out joysticks can still try out the targeting system and not have their view of the target obstructed.

26. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I'm glad you've had some free time! Your project is looking great, and selective targeting of target components is a really awesome idea, but what are the keyboard controls?

27. ForceX

ForceX

@ScienceFictionado: Check out the first post i have the updated keyboard inputs listed there.

28. ForceX

ForceX

New demo on the first post. This demo provides the ability to play whit a Keyboard and Mouse. I'm interested in feed back on this implementation, so please leave your comments.

29. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I like it, no complaints here!

30. ForceX

ForceX

@ScienceFictionado Thaks for your support. I'm glad you like it so far.

31. ForceX

ForceX

New daily build.

New Features:

You can now dock with certain ships stations. To do this select the ship or station as a target and request docking by pressing left shift + d, you can also press space bar to enter or exit mouse flight mode.

To undock click the button in the lower left of the screen.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  32. ForceX

ForceX

New Build.

New Features:
    1. Planetary layer. This allows for planets and other distant objects to reside in the background. They cannot be reached.
    2. If a target is selected, clicking on it again will bring up a context window with a list of actions.
    3. Eject / Exit from your current ship by pressing "Left Shift + Z";
    4. While docked you can change ships that are docked at the same location if they are owned by you.
    5. While docked you exchange cargo between other ships that are docked at the same location if they are owned by you. (GUI Only No Functionality)

Remember: Space Bar will bring you in and out of mouse flight. Use this to navigate the interface with out moving your ship.

All build releases are on the first post under Current WIP Demo.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  33. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

When the pop up menu comes up (for docking, information, etc) the mouse should automatically stop controlling the pitch and yaw of the ship. This is just my opinion, I understand using the spacebar does the same thing. Controls, in my view, should be very simple and intuitive if this is a game, right now it controls like a simulator.
    I would also recommend finding a different method for the GUI, because onGui kills frames per second.
    Also, would there be a way to add an arrow at the bottom of the blue line renderer that indicates off-screen target directions?
    Finally, I couldn't dock with Reliant, so I couldn't test the docking/ship exchanging. When i requested docking permission nothing happened.
    You're doing incredible work my friend, keep it up!

34. ForceX

ForceX

@ScienceFictionado:
    1. Great idea with the Mouse lock on GUI i'll get that done.
    2. The arrow. This is something i've been attempting to do but am not quite sure how atm. Which is why i'm using a linerenderer instead of a texture.
    3.Docking.. Did you follow the docking arrows into the docking hanger? Once inside you should dock automatically.

35. psyclone

psyclone

Looking Good...

Like the cockpit view.....

36. ForceX

ForceX

So i've been looking at the gui in the profiler, here are its results. With all the gui on screen at the same time it is about 0.69ms - 0.82ms This is not typical having all the windows open. A more typical scenario would be having only a target selected and 1 window open. That runs around 0.12ms - 0.32ms. Over all the program as it is now with all the scripts, camera render, gui repaint, ect uses 1.40ms - 1.80ms.

I want to make sure i'm understanding this correctly. Total% represents a % as a whole of the processes used and not of the entire cpu. While it may say Camera.Render 53%, it really means 53% of the resources currently in use which may only be 10% of your total system resources. That leaves Time ms which is a measure of how the program is performing. Given the information how do you think the program is performing?

37. ForceX

ForceX

New Build.

New Features.
    1. Inventory menu. This is an experimental system to see how things go. (Basic functionality only, Add - Remove)
    2. Mouse flight is disabled when GUI is active.
    3. Code optimization.

38. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I'd say its performing rather well ForceX. Any updates this week? I just put together a decent dog-fight AI for Delta-V. I would be interested in comparing notes with you on your enemies. Do you have any dog-fighters yet? BTW You are a programming power house, I'm simply blown away by how much progress you've made since you started.

39. ForceX

ForceX

@ScienceFictionado : First off Thanks :) and that i could not have done any thing with out the help of the community.

Oops just realized that i built the last build with joystick enabled. I fixed that. It's now back to Keyboard Mouse for the webpalyer.

No new updates as of yet. I'm going to switch gears and start working on the 1st / 3rd person aspect and the transitions of going from person to flight mode and vice verse. So i've been working on base Male Female toons. Pretty much just need to get them rigged and create some clothes or something.

As for dog fighting. I only have the start of an AI script which is on the first post under AI Demo. I need to incorporate the target lead into it's code then set a min angle to start shooting. So far it can.

1. Approach target
    2. Follow target
    3. Evasive maneuvers away from target.
    4. (Should but doesn't) avoid collision with target.

This was only a test to see if this was the right direction to take in programming an AI. It seams to be working as intended when the target is the player. When it's two AI that have each other targeted they kind of do what i can only describe as two Sine Waves with opposite wave forms, kind of like a repeating Infinity symbol (no pun intended) . So there is still much work to be done on that part.

Great work on DeltaV i love how it's coming along. I love the music in your videos as well.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  40. Hovrak

Hovrak

can you send me a link to buy this now and follow your wip, or when do you plan on your 1st release?

41. ForceX

ForceX

@ Hovrak: I just started work on the documentation last night and should have it finished in the next day or two, and i just came up with another idea to include (will have to see how it goes).

What the package will include.
    1. Main radar player script Radar target script (this script goes on any thing that is to be a radar contact)
    2. Radar mesh object
    3. Textures for on screen HUD targeting selection box / direction indicator.
    4. Textures for Radar target ID icons

What the package will allow.
    1. Display radar contacts in 3d with target Icon identification
    2. Allow targeting of radar contacts(Target nearest, next, previous, next sub component, previous sub component, clear sub component, clear target)
    3. Display a HUD targeting box on the selected target with target Icon identification.
    4. Display a HUD direction indicator when the selected target is off screen.

Not included:
    Ship models found in the wip demos.

Asking cost for the package is $10 USD. If this is something you would still like purchase you can pm me.

42. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    This sounds interesting. What's the status on your release?

43. ForceX

ForceX

The project is currently in testing before i set it loose on the public. Check your pm for more information.

44. ForceX

ForceX

For those who would like to see more, i've posted a preview image of the scripts inspector editors at the bottom of the first post. Right click and save as to get a better view of the image. I've tried to preview all the functionality that the scripts offer.

45. ForceX

ForceX

I have decided to release the 3D Radar for free. Grab it at the bottom of the first post.

46. ForceX

ForceX

If you have any questions, comments or need some help with project integration please feel free to post. I'll do my best to help.

47. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Curious to know what prompted the move to giving the asset away for free. Poor sales? Onerous support?

48. ForceX

ForceX

Poor sales, no i've had quite a few offers.
    Support problems, no not with unity or any one except my self :). I'll explain.
    This package has a huge dependency on the program that it is being incorporated into and at this time i feel i am unable to account for all the situations of which it may be used for. I do not want to sell something to someone only to find out that it does not work for them because of something i was unprepared for. So instead of selling it and having the possibility of having a negative reaction because of said unforeseen issues, i would rather get it out to the public freely and hear the community's comments on the good and the bad of the package so i can try to make it better.

Perhaps down the line i'll expand upon the system and bring in some new elements (system map). Ones that will not require the user to have so much preexisting in place. Then i can offer it up on the market as an even more feature rich asset.

But before any of that i'm interested in hearing your experience with the 3D Radar system. Things you like, things that could be better, or things that just don't work in your project.

Plus there are plenty of free FPS projects out there but you hardly find anything geared for the space combat sim. Consider this my contribution to this genre.

49. ForceX

ForceX

Update 1.2.1

Fixes:
    1. When target is behind the player the target directional indicator should now stick to the edges of the screen and no longer work it's self into the center.

In my demo this problem did not come up because the player is fixed at 0,0,0. I found this out because my new method of moving the player through the universe allows the player to move a set distance from 0,0,0 before shifting everything back. This movement from 0,0,0 is what allowed the target directional indicator to crawl into the center of the screen when the target is located behind the player.

By changing (FX_3DRadar_Master.js)

Code (csharp):
    1. var StartZ = PlayerCameraT.localPosition + PlayerCameraT.forward * 1; //Incorrect
    3. to
    5. var StartZ = PlayerCameraT.position + PlayerCameraT.forward * 1; //Correct
    this issue should be corrected.

You can make the correction yourself or download the new package.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  50. ForceX

ForceX

It's been a few weeks since the public release and there have been a fair number of downloads some where around 80 with the 1.2.0 1.2.1.
    So, if you are someone that is using the radar system in a project or need help setting it up in a project, I want to hear from you. Good, bad, request or any questions, I want to know about it. Or if you just want to show off your project with the radar running, screen shots are welcome.