Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-virus problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by andeeeee, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andeeeee

andeeeee

There are a number of anti-virus products that incorrectly detect the Unity webplayer as malware. Additionally, other AV scans can cause problems with the editor. We already know about some of these but if you encounter a problem with anti-virus software then please add a post to this thread. This should help us follow up the issues with the manufacturers of the offending software and also to suggest workarounds until the problems are fixed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

What andeeee said, I've been chasing up anti virus companies lately to try and get both the webplayer and editor installers off there virus lists. So if you are having any problems with antivirus and unity post here and I will check in from time to time and update with what is going on.

3. runner

runner

------------------------------------------
    Win7 x64
    2011 Trend Micro Titanium Maximun Security

Protection Strength : Normal

Exception List can not be added "Unity webplayer.exe" location unknown?

Can Not play any online unity games while Trend is On, "Shutdown Trend".

I could disable Unsafe WebSite Code ect, but how many things would i tick off before
    it's just much easy'er to turn Trend off.

Unity 3.2.0f4

4. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

I have already been in touch with Trend Micro and I am waiting to here back from them.

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Do you want to know about issues with just the webplayer or the editor as well?

6. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Any all issues that you think may be caused by anti virus and any anti virus warnings that unity triggers.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

AVG Free - Unity 3.0 crashed repeatedly while using AVG. I suspect the issue would be the same with 3.2 although I have no plans to find out. ;) I dumped AVG for Microsoft Security Essentials months ago.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Using MSE with Unity causes hard drive "dirty flags" on my system requiring a reboot with chkdsk /f (and hours of wasted time). I chronicled the issue in this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/68...rrors?highlight=microsoft+security+essentials and filed a bug report ( case 385075 ). I also frequently had issues where Unity would crash immediately on startup (before a project even loaded). I gave up on MSE and instead now use Panda Cloud.

Panda Cloud - I'm not sure if this is AV related or not, but one nagging issue that I've not been able to reproduce is that the Unity editor will crash (intermittently) when I delete a .blend1 file in the Project window (case 392543). The only reason I suspect it might be my AV causing this is because I can't think of anything else. I've also found that I still get an intermittent "dirty flag" but far less frequently than before (used to happen every couple of hours, now it's no more than once per week) and I can't be sure what the cause may be. Otherwise, no major issues.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Win7 x64 Professional
    Bitdefender Total Security 2011 Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

Editor crashes for unknown reasons. Until version 3.1 the solutions provided in http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/48135-Unity-freezing-every-5-15-minutes-(Windows-7-x64)/page3 were working.
    With 3.2 none of them seem to help (I added Unity to the exclusion list, I turned on Game Mode and even turned off the Real Time protection!).
    If I leave Unity open in background it doesn't crash, after start interacting with the editor (sometimes 30 secs, other times 5/10 mins) it crashes and the task has to be killed.

I even uninstalled Bitdefender just to be sure and the crashes stopped. After re-installing they started happening again.

9. Tsugu

Tsugu

I know Norton's AV has been listed elsewhere in the forums as a big offender, but, for what it's worth. I get a blocked message from NAV that states "mono-1-vc.dll" will not be allowed to run. It seems that the "Download Intellegence" section of the software (NAV's) can't find enough users to herd verify it. So what to do?

10. arpst0rm

arpst0rm

Any update on a solution for this. We are getting users having trouble getting into the game now since the upgrade. Norton seems to be the only AV system so far.

11. CharlieSkinner

CharlieSkinner

Noticed today that Trend is now blocking the remote version of UnityObject.js. So even if you do a manual install of the webplayer and view newly created content, it will not load. Content that I have compilled as offline (using a local version of UnityObject.js) still works however.

12. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Having just spent almost three hours chatting to norton support they finally provided a link to where I could submit for false positives.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

I have submitted the webplayer to them. They estimate that it will take around two weeks for this to be tested and to be added to the exclusion lists in their updates.

13. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Just got a response from Norton that they are not receiving the error/not able to reproduce :(
    Here is the message:

We are writing in relation to your submission through Symantec's on-line
    Security Risk / False Positive Dispute Submission form for your software
    being detected by Symantec Software. After downloading, installing and
    scanning your software with Symantec's latest definitions we have been
    unable to reproduce any detection. Can we please ask you to ensure that
    you are using Symantec's latest virus definitions for detection? They
    can be found using live update or alternatively from the URL below.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

Due to not being able to reproduce this issue we require the additional
    information below to progress the dispute.

* The message or a screen shot of the message received

* A specific URL to download the software

* Exact instructions on how to recreate issue

* Symantec product and version being used for detection

If any of you guys can supply me with any or all of the extra information that they require you can have a cookie :D

14. Tsugu

Tsugu

Okay, Here goes, with Norton 2011 Version 18.5.0.125 installed, and with the "Download Intellegence" on. the secenerio runs like this.
    I get a file insight dialog box reporting that "webplayer_win.dll" has been given a good rating. Then it will not allow the mono-1-vc.dll to install. I also get a report box theat say's "Unable to get information on Mono-1-vc.dll". the same message for CrossDomainPolicyParser.dll.
    Let me know if I can do anything else.

15. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Tsugu you get a cookie. I'll forward that onto Norton and see what they say. I think it would be great if we could get Norton on our so side so to speak.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any news from the Bitdefender guys?

It's really hard to work this way... :-(

17. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Not yet :(. Ive contacted them previously to your post and still not heard anything back from them. Unfortunately this seems to be the way more often than not when i contact AV companies. I submit unity for there process then never hear anything back.

18. crazysam

crazysam

I couldn't get MonoDevelop to open up at all, it wouldn't give me an error or a popup or anything, MSE also didn't provide any notification. I had no idea why MonoDevelop simply wouldn't open no matter what I did, until I stumbled across this post and discovered Unity has AntiVirus issues.

I opened MSE and went to the settings screen, in the "Excluded Processes" tab I added both monodevelop.exe and Unity.exe, found somewhere in the Unity's installation folder.

This eliminated my problem, I thought I should share.

19. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

BITDEFENDER UPDATE

I just spoke to a legend called Jason who almost immediately realised the scope of the issue and escalated it straight to the senior tech level at bit defender. I should be hearing from them in 24-48hours.

NORTON UPDATE

Nothing to update. I will try going back and harassing them again later today.

TREND MICRO UPDATE

Webplayer has been reclassified as safe by them and should now longer trigger any exceptions.
    You may need to clear your browser cache and clear Java to do this you need to go to Control Panel > Java (32-bit) > General > Temporary Internet Files > Settings... > Delete Files...

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

21. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Just got a response form Bitdefender:

In order to further investigate this issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the BitDefender window, select Options, then select the Expert View.

2. Go to the Update module and click on Settings;

3. Select the boxes next to "Prompt before downloading updates" from Confirm
    Update and Manual Update Settings;

4. Click on Apply;

5. Restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);
    - Press the 'F8' key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load;
    you need to press 'F8' until you will be displayed a text menu;
    - Select 'SAFE MODE' in the text menu and press 'Enter'.
    - Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click 'OK' to acknowledge.

6. Browse to the C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011 folder.

7. Locate the file "httproxy.dll" and rename it to "httproxy.dl_";

8. Restart the computer in Normal mode;

9. Once the product will want to Update, please make sure to select only the
    Virus Signature option and not the Product Update one, as that will replace
    the file you renamed in Safemode.

10. Check if the issue still occurs.

NOTE:
    If you are not seeing the file extention please go to Start -> Control Panel
    -> Folder Options -> View tab -> unchek the option "Hide extensions for known

file types".

Please follow the steps below in order to see what Bitdefender module is
    causing the issue. Open the BitDefender window, select Options, then select
    the Expert View mode ;

Go to the Firewall module and disable the Firewall protection, then retry
    connecting. If that doesn't solve the issue enable the Firewall protection.

Go to the Antivirus tab and disable the Real Time Protection. See if the
    situation persists, then enable the Real Time Protection

Go to the Antivirus tab click on Advanced settings, disable IDS and AVC.

Go to the Antispam tab and disable the Antispam Protection. See if the
    situation persists, then enable the Antispam Protection.

If someone can try this and let me know if this helps.

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

ESET32 / NOD: The realtime process scanner thats active by default will cause unity to crash regularly (especially in playmode / build) with the dreaded "Get Thread Context" error. Disabling that part helps

Comodo: You need to add mono.exe and the ShaderFixor.exe (I think those two, if it still crashes look into the Defense+ log what it killed ;)) as trusted applications as it kills them otherwise.

Kaspersky: Shockingly painless, asks nicely on stuff instead of silent killing, normally already restrict is enough you don't even needfully require Trust level. You should not need any explicit guidance as its as "idiot proof" as Norton, just that it works as well unlike Norton

23. CharlieSkinner

CharlieSkinner

Great news about Trend. And of course the others.

24. LiquifiedIce

LiquifiedIce

I get the following trojan when running SuperAntiSpyware 4.50.1002:

Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeAlert[Local]
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\UNITY\EDITOR\DATA\BUILDTARGETTOOLS\PS3PLAYER \PS3CMD.EXE

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit.

25. BLF-Games

BLF-Games

I also have the same problem as Liquifiedlce...

Super Anti Spyware Free Edition detected as trojan:
    ../Unity/Editor/Data/BuildTargetTools/Ps3Player/ps3cmd.exe

I'm using:
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Unity 3D free liscence

Is that positive? meanwhile i'll leave it in quarentine
    oh crap i just deleted it ¬¬... anyway i hope someone can tell me if it was or wasn't a trojan
    thanks in advance

26. ViperCode_

ViperCode_

Norton-mild virus detected and successfully deleted

Ya it deleted my .exe game file...
    Nothing much to add, it happened on my friends comp over and over

27. LiquifiedIce

LiquifiedIce

I deleted it as well and haven't noticed any negative side effects. Not really sure if it's a false positive or not, either way it doesn't bug me too much as long as Unity is still working.

28. jhnbrown671

jhnbrown671

29. Hatschupp

Hatschupp

Avira Antivir Professional is giving a 'Malware'-Message when visiting the webplayer download page or when trying to download the webplayer plugin from any other link.

It's completely blocking the download, only adding an exception in the Antivir configuration for this website is helping at the moment.

Apparently it's the 'Webguard' of Antivir blocking your site.

30. sawfish

sawfish

HAHA! I've been wondering why my Unity crashes so much, and I do think it has been ever since I installed AVG. It is usually when I go to close Unity, though. Is that when you had the most problems?

31. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

This is fixed now I managed to get in contact with Avira without any problems at all. Kudos to them.

To everyone else sorry that I have not been on here for a while. I will start working through all these reports and harassing each Anti Virus company until they make it work.

@dismah and LiquifiedIce I have submitted a report to these SuperAntiSpyware hopefully I will get something back soon from them.

@ViperCode I have tried several times with norton and never really gotten anywhere with them in terms of a resolution. The only thing I can suggest is putting an exception zone round the project folder where you are working.

32. AzCoporateGames

AzCoporateGames

I am running Windows 7 64bit with Eset Smart Security 4.2.71.2.

Being brand new and just learning how to navigate the editor, I ran into the Get Thread Context Error on start up. Not sure if it is the AVS but I had to reboot to be able to get into the Editor. I also noticed in the asset fold of the tutorial I was working in, the Temp was always there. It seems that once I deleted the temp folder, the Get Thread Context Error was not as frequent. I was finally able to get in and work a little on the tutorial.

Now that I know about the AVS issues, I will try and be more attentive to crashes and errors.

Cheers.

33. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

I received this through our regular support channel:

Prevx v 3.0.5.220 reports C:\Users\me\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\player\3.x.x\Data\lib\UnityEngine.dll as a virus.

Just so everyone knows, I am following this one up with prevx in case anyone else is seeing the same issue.

34. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Prevx have now fixed this issue. Dam they were fast.

35. xurok

xurok

Im a Nod32 internet smart security licensed user, I have the GC Thread Error message each time I try to use unity 3d :(
    I tried to disable Realtime system Protection but this does not help.
    What Ive done is :

Disable Realtime Protection
    Try to launch Unity 3d and get the error message
    Wait for the Unity 3d loading window to disappear
    Try to launch again a couple times and get the error message about Unity3d already running
    Ctrl+alt+suppr and kill unity.exe
    Launch again it should work
    Go to Edit > Preferences
    Check 'Launch projet wizard each time' save and quit unity 3d
    Enable Nod32 realtime protection again

It should work now

36. boribhi

boribhi

After all, why people are still using Windows ?! Why Windows are still used by many people in this world ?! Is it the only option we have ?!

We have Mac, Linux, etc...

Perhaps, Mac users do not even need to care about this issue.

OMG...

37. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

I have had a case in the support queue recently where a user could not access the asset store. It turns out that the anitvirus in question, McAfee, had been blocking the web access of unity that is required to be able to pull down the content. This is just a heads up to people in case they have seen something similar. It should just be a case of changing the firewall setting.

38. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

I just thought I would do a quick check and see if anyone is having any gripes with the latest release.

39. Waz

Waz

Yes, still freezing up quite regularly (Win7-64). No AV running. Since you know the problem: write fail when file locked, why don't you fix it? Unity is the ONLY software I have that has any problems. Presumably other software retries or something.

40. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

This thread is for anti virus issues. You have said yourself that you are not running any anti virus. Please keep to the topic of the thread.

41. Waz

Waz

The point is that the editor crashing just because of an AV scan is a bug in the editor. That bug should be fixed, not avoided by tweaking the AV scan. Anything that an AV scan does to kill the editor will also happen in some other situation (I suspect mine is related to disk performance). That an AV scan makes the bug reproducible should be an opportunity to help find the bug and confirm when it is fixed.

42. Simon180

Simon180

norton are not to smart you have to contact them more then once before there really do anything I made my own voice chat system in delphi and had same problem with there virus program doing false reports i had to send about 4 reports and all were same email about not being able to find anything wrong at the end i had to email them telling them to fully check my setup.exe and files once installed ..

there since added my files to there patch and it no longer shows as virus maybe you will have to do same also hope that helps

43. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi,

I just ran into the Norton Unity Player Problem. Yech! First of all, thanks, especially to RolfHarris for trying to get Norton to fix this. Please keep trying.

After some experimentation, I did find a workaround, at least for Firefox (though it doesn't work for Explorer). I am posting the workaround here in hopes it might save someone else an afternoon of frustration. (This is using Windows7 64, Norton Internet Security 2011, Unity Player 3.4.1f, Unity 3.4.1f5, and Firefox 3.6.15.)

Apparently, Norton does not like the following files which are installed by the Unity installer and activated the first time you try to open a Unity player file in your browser:

Code (csharp):
    1. c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\localallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\mono-1-vc.dll
    3. c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\localallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\data\lib\system.dll
    5. c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\localallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\data\lib\system.core.dll
    7. c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\localallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\data\lib\mono.security.dll
    9. c:\users\your_user_name\appdata\localallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\data\lib\mscorlib.dll
    There is a way to exclude these files, using Norton settings, from AntiVirus and SONAR scans, but there are many "gotchas" along the way.

Broadly, these are the steps:

Code (csharp):
    1. 1) Run Unity player installer setup.
    2. 2) In Firefox, go to a site that has a Unity game and attempt to start
    3.     the player. (At this point, you should see Norton warnings about
    4.     the above 5 files popping up on your desktop.)
    5. 2) Open Norton Internet Security and click on the Quarantine button.
    6. 3) In the quarantine list, you should see the above 5 files
    7.     (You can get the whole path for each one by clicking on the file name.)
    8. 4) Highlight a file and click on the Options button to the right of the screen.
    9. 5) You will get a dialog box with a Restore option.  Click on Restore.
    10. 6) Repeat this process for all 5 files.  Close the Quarantine window.
    11. 7) Click on the Settings button (top middle).  You should get a dialog box
    12.     with lots of setting choices.
    13. 8) Find AntiVirus and SONAR exclusions section and click on the Configure
    14.     button for Items to Exclude from Scans.
    15. 9) You should get a Scan Exclusions dialog box.  Click on the Add button and
    16.     navigate (one at a time) to the 5 files you just restored.  The paths should be
    17.     something like what I have listed above.  
    18. 10) After adding the 5 files to the Scans exclusion, go back and repeat the
    19.      process for the Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR.  
    20. Now the Unity player should work in Firefox.
    Here are the "gotchas":
    Code (csharp):
    1. 1) You have to be logged on as administrator to even see Options
    2.      button in the Quarantine box and the full assortment of choices in the
    3.      Settings box in Norton.  Being logged on in a regular mode and right
    4.      clicking on the Norton icon and selecting Run as Administator mode
    5.      won't work. You actually have to be running as administrator.
    6. 2) This means that if you normally run logged on as a regular user
    7.    (recommended by security experts), you have to go back and forth.
    8.    First you have to install the player in regular mode to get the 5 files
    9.    installed where they belong, then you have to log on as administrator
    10.    to restore them  from quarantine and exclude them.  
    11. 3) When you are logged on as administrator, trying to add the 5 files
    12.    to your exclusion lists, you may get a message that you do not
    13.    have access to these files.  You should be able to to click a
    14.    Continue button to get past this.  
    15. 4) About Explorer:  I don't know which comes first, the file or the quarantine,
    16.    but apparently, the file mono-1-vc.dll keeps showing up in a temp folder
    17.    in this path:
    18.    C:\users\your_user_name\appdata\local\Temp\low\unitywebplayer\temp\SomeLongHexNumberHere\mono-1-vc.dll
    19.     and Norton keeps finding it and quarantining it.  Apparently the Unity player
    20.     in Firefox can run  without this temp file, but Explorer can't.  
    Hi hope this information proves useful to somebody and I thank the Unity staff for trying to get through to Norton. Please keep trying. Thanks.

Zaffer

P.S. Here's a link to some screen shots of the Norton settings. http://bitsong.com/forPosting/Unity/Norton.html

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

This just happened to me today..norton 360. pc / win xp / all browsers.
    those 5 files above are the offenders....

I am still quite shocked...the ramifications on the end user?....
    what if this was the flash player??? all of a sudden anybody running
    certain AV programs, your website, or parts of it are down??

do I need a new message on my website?
    'please disable your av software to play my game'

I have also contacted norton about my Issue..

wow....

45. MRodger

MRodger

Regarding the Norton AV issue:

I just started testing my unity game with a few peers and one wasn't unable to get the Webplayer running.
    She received an error "Error launching Unity Player" and then clicked on the link to "Install Manually".
    The player installed but when she went to run my game Norton AV didn't like "mono-1-vc.dll" so she was unable to run the game.

I'm in the craft industry and the majority of my customers have very basic computer skills. They will not use my game if the installation isn't seamless so I'm hoping that Norton will resolve this soon.

Cheers,
    Melissa

46. FlyOver

FlyOver

Unity Webplayer 3.4.1f5

Norton 360 Insight say the file mono-1-vc.dll ist not secure and he has delete the file from my system

here is the Report in German:

Start Report
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vollständiger Pfad: c:\users\leopold\appdata\locallow\unity\webplayer\mono\3.x.x\mono-1-vc.dll
    22.09.2011 um 12:14:48
    Zuletzt verwendet:
    23.09.2011 um 02:19:43
    Systemstartobjekt:
    Nein
    Gestartet:
    Nein
    Bedrohungsdetails
    Art der Bedrohung: Insight-Netzwerkbedrohung. Es bestehen mehrere Anzeichen, dass diese Datei nicht vertrauenswürdig und daher nicht sicher ist

Quelldatei:
    mono-1-vc.dll
    Dateiabdruck - MD5:
    6c98eaadc785ddd2da89a1b6e425c83e

Norton 360 Premier Edition Version 5.1.29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    End Report

the problem that i see is this file is not digital sign.

sorry for my bad english but iam from Vienna Austria and my language is german

47. tinbar67

tinbar67

My kids play an online game called Jumpstart and Mathblaster. Since yesterday evening, the game hasn't worked. Had a message on-screen reading 'Failure launching Unity Player'. It gave two options:-

1. Error details
    2. Launch manually

Pressing 'Error details' simply gave a window which read 'Failed to copy Unity.dll'.

'Launch manually' opened up another window to download Unity Player again but some files were being picked up by my antivirus software and were removed by Norton 360 v5. These files were:-

* webplay_win.dll
    * mscorlib.dll
    * system.core.dll
    * system.dll

Norton identified them as being (WS.Reputation.1).

I tried another browser (Firefox) and still could not get the game to launch. The same thing happened on Firefox as had happened on Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I have two PC's at home, one a desktop running Windows 7, IE9 and Norton 360 v5; the other is a laptop running Vista, IE9 and Norton 360 v5. Up until yesterday evening, everything was running smoothly - the problems have only just started.

Any suggestions, please.

48. lazygunn

lazygunn

Yep, had the Norton problem.. really glad i wasnt showing that to someone more important to the games future...

49. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, I can only apologise for our oversight when we released the latest webplayer. We had changed the signature of the app and as such it was no longer part of the whitelist with certain AV programs.
    We are now working with norton to make sure that this does not happen again with a future release.

50. Learner

Learner

Hi, I am having problems with ESET Smart Security 5. I got the GetThreadContext message. Any solution for this? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.