Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-virus problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by andeeeee, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Learner

Learner

Hi, Just to give you a little more information. People from ESET Central America is helping me with the GetThreadContext issue. They recommended some tuning but at the end what worked was to disable internet connection. With Internet connection on Unity does not work. As soon as I disable network connection Unity starts working. ESET asked me about the processes Unity run when starts up. They want to find what process is making ESET to block it.

Could you help me please? People from ESET install Unity for testing

Thanks

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

I used to use ESET SS for nearly 4 years and out of my experience, the thing you need to do is disable the realtime process monitoring. Not even adding unity to the exclusions helped it seems that their exclusion list isn't really respected by half the settings, which is a total PITA.
    The process monitoring is too agressive and messes up the state within unity and as unity expects sole dominance in its fields (process, threads and the project folder) it just blows up when that happens as it does not check for it happening nor does it catch the error (and as we all know, every uncought exception within the editor will crash it right away)

technically unity has 4 processes normally:
    1. Unity.exe
    2. Mono.exe
    3. the umbra pvs builder
    4. the beast lightmapper

The problem for me only happened in 1, potentially due to the C++ + Mono + multiple threads (editor scripts talking to playmode which run in 2 distinct threads and alike) where the realtime checking of the thread.

3. Learner

Learner

Thanks dreamora for your fast and detailed answer. Let me tell you, I do not know why checking the option "Show Project Wizard at Star up" now fixed the problem. Now I have turned off-on Unity 5 times with Internet connection on and it worked. I will restart my computer to see if the fix is “permanent”
    Thanks for your help

Update 1: After restarting, Unity is still working!!! I will keep my fingers crossed
    Update 2: To good to be true. If I try to open a project with Unity already opened, it crashes again

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. colinjw

colinjw

Sorry if I am making this a zombie thread but I have just got an alert on my antivirus.

Application: Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    Object: c:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\libiconv2.dll
    Reason: KSN service
    Result: Detected: UDS: DangerousObject.Multi>Generic

It has been quarantined. Is this going to cause me any problems or is a work around needed?

5. garbonzo607

garbonzo607

My Avira detects it on the web guard just to visit the download link.

I don't like having to register just to say that. It hinders community feedback.

6. vad

vad

same here.

The requested URL has been identified as a potentially dangerous website.
    Further information as to why this page was blocked can be found here. A description of how to remove the block for this page is available here.
    Requested URL: http://webplayer.unity3d.com/download_webplayer-3.x/UnityWebPlayer.exe
    Category/categories:
    Malware

same here as well.

7. andres iriarte

andres iriarte

Can you help me with this ? " ERROR BAD LENGHT FILE ", after two years playing without problems, now i cant download the Unity Web Player...

Thank you un advance for you help

8. sonicviz

sonicviz

Does anyone know of any issues with [FONT="]OSX anti-virus program, Intego's VirusBarrier X6 (ver. 10.6.15).?
    A customer reports a rather nasty crash issue with a Unity App and I'm trying to work through what may be causing it.

ty
    [/FONT]

9. arturinio

arturinio

Hi I'm Polish, and if I write the wrong I apologize,
    I play a new game which is needed unity 3.5.6f4 zainsalowałem verse unity for the initial version of the game in which I was 3.5.5f4 each version of the game does not work and rather anti-virus is not the fault because the game has a different computer and I use the same or Norton 360 Please help, any advice

10. Stefan Kross

Stefan Kross

Had the Norton 360 Problem and took me a while to figure it out.. thanks for taking care with norton developers!

11. MindMirror

MindMirror

Did anyone ever have problems with http://www.simplitec.com/us/ ? It's the antiV and Malware system I use on my work computer, but I didn't have any interference with Unity so far...? Should I change or no worries? ty

12. yjjessicalv

yjjessicalv

13. pis

pis

nice
    akkus-adapter

14. Skumball

Skumball

I just noticed this thread and will copy my message here:

Unity Devs

I am banging my head against a brick wall with this error and many others like me are doing the same. I hear that this is not just confined to Eset but a number of other security programs.

I am not a game developer but I am a gamer who tries to play games using your engine but failing to do so because of the above error.

Now I believe that this is a possible firewall issue and not real time system protection issue because this error only occurs when trying to log in to an account with Unity and WWW makes a return call. Someone else who can explain this better has a message thread here: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions...t-in-edit.html

So far I am unable to play "Brick Force", "Kerbal Space Program" and "Castle Story", the latter two I have put money into.

As an example I cannot log in to my Castle Story account when the game asks me to input these details. I click to connect to my account and the GetThreadContext error box appears and crashes the program.

I have contacted Eset support and they have offered solutions (such as white listing the .exe) but this doesn't work. As multiple security programs are incompatible with Unity I ask that you fix this asap because no doubt the game developers will be getting the backlash from angry users when in reality it is the engine.

My system is Windows 7 64-bit running Eset Smart Security 5.

15. jully12

jully12

Hello
    Thanks for starting this thread really great information here it is really going to help!!

16. lightling

lightling

I did a scan with AVG. During the scan, I got this:
    Virus Identified Android_dc.KWO | C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer\bin\classes.dex

17. SaggSab

SaggSab

I had Unity on my PC, but due to a browser hijacker I couldn't seem to get rid of, I had the computer checked out. The person working on my computer uninstalled Unity, by the time I saw what was being done it was too late.

When asked I was told that Unity is known as having a lot of Trojans, malware spyware. I had Unity on my PC for a few months and had no problems before. My problems started today after downloading something from a site I've trusted in the past - despite not wanting Claro-search and searchfunmood. When the tech person ran their version of antivirus it showed Trojan Agent / Gen-UsrMgr and Trojan Agent / Gen-VB. The Claro searchfunmood showed up today, I don't know when the Trojans may have been downloaded.

Has anyone else seen this or had this problem?

18. goat

goat

I was getting 'Windows Defender' on Windows 8 Pro x64 sending the Unity 4 Web Player executable to Microsoft everytime I played anything in Internet Explorer 10 with the Unity 4 Web Player.

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

I use Norton Internet Security, and the latest game I made, published from Unity 4, doesn't work on the Unity 4 webPlayer (mainly images and texts not visible or not set correctly). I don't use any special library/code, so I suppose it's an issue with the antivirus. That, or the webplayer 4 is broken :/ Even if it's Norton, it's one of the most used antiviruses, and it's quite stunning that it's causing issues.

20. lgentry

lgentry

Your Threads are purely enough for me.

21. Knifeownage

Knifeownage

Im using ESET Nod32 Antivirus, it has regular problems with Unity, The only way to fix it is to EXCLUDE (Only the ones you want to use, i checked and you can not exclude your projects folder, or "My Documents" because once you save it will delete/ignore the exclusion once the process of unity ends) the .exe or scene file from . I have made a how-to here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/16...Context-failed-quot-ESET-ANTIVIRUS-x64-x32FIX.

Please contact the virus companies to globally allow Unity.exe and related files (project files, Scenes, etc..)

22. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

I didnt notice the sticky thread so I post my experience Unity 4 Pro on a Mac:
    I just tried to export a unity PC/MAC project to show a collegue, but my and his computers also complain about heuristic trojan virus !

I tried my self on a PC with windows without antivirus installed, and it tooks 2 minutes on a Quad Core, to show up the Quality panel, and this is just a 19 MB executble+data project.
    What the heck!?!?

This is nasty, I can stand to the Editor backdoor code, but I dont like my collegues and customers will get this kind of warning when trying to use the executable.

23. farpetrad

farpetrad

A scan with AVG detected C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\androidplayer\bin\classes.dex as Android_dc.KWO wtf????

24. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

My free version of Avast Antivirus identified a false positive while building out (f7) a monodevelop project on the new version of unity. Happened several times, all on this file:

Code (csharp):
    2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\MonoDevelop\Addins\BackendBindings\UnityScript\bin\us.exe
    I already sent a report to Avast as it being a false positive... just lettin y'all know incase its a problem for anyone else

25. vampire101

vampire101

Norton is seriously annoying. It keeps spotting virus in my system but doesn't really show anything. Plus when I call their support team, no one's even answering. Its so harrowing. Guess I have to switch to another antivirus. What do you guys think of QuickHeal?

26. devcjohnson

devcjohnson

Kaspersky Internet 2013 has been identified as the culprit to some pausing issues with Unity 3.5.7+ and above on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 system.
    ...By pausing I am referring to Unity becoming unresponsive up to 15 minutes at a time. Some plugins from the asset store, like GameDraw, are unusable while it is enabled.

27. 3Dgal

3Dgal

I'm on win7, x64 and I just installed unity on this machine. I have Eset but I am having problems even opening Unity. As soon as I click on the icon, Unity starts up with a black screen and the check license utility. It didn't open and instead I got this error message:

"Error loading page
    Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates"
    see $screen.jpg

I tried to exclude the unity path (per Knifeownage) in Eset, but I'm still getting the same error. And since no other menu/button is available, Unity just shuts down afterwards. Help ???

28. SolarStorm

SolarStorm

Hello!

I'm using Avast AV on Win 7 x64 and i keep getting this error : Fatal error in gc "GetThreadContext failed" .Then it closes unity.Any ideas on how to solve this problem besides changing the AV :)?

29. bovmed

bovmed

I ran into the attached message from both Microsoft Secuity Essentials and Forefront today on multiple machines running Windows 7 for a very simple tutorial-like game. It looks like AV issues have been going on for a long time. Is there any indication these will be resolved soon? I really can't see publishing anything on a platform that's going to make end users think the game has a virus, but I really don't want to have to start over learning to use another platform either.

A couple things of note:

1) The message only appears once.
    2) You can use System Restore to put the system into its previous state so you can force the message to appear again.
    3) Using an installer to place the files into the "right" place (e.g. Program Files (x86) makes no difference.

Hazarding a guess, it may be related to the 3-D settings dialog and the actions it takes when the game is first started. Is there any way to circumvent that so I can test that out?

thanks,
    DMG

Attached Files:

• $WTF.png
      $WTF.png
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
  30. bovmed

bovmed

No dice on the 3-D settings dialog. (That was a total WAG anyway). I've filed a bug.

31. bovmed

bovmed

One more thing of note: when built and tested through the same methodology, Angry Bots does not cause this dialog to appear. Any ideas what the salient difference between Angy Bots and a simple tutorial-level game may be?

32. 3drjb

3drjb

im getting virus warning for web player builds for old and new builds. from 3.5 to 4.2
    things that used to work now flag as malware or more specifically by AVG as blackhole expoilt kits
    jquery.min.js
    unityobject2.js
    anyone else having this problem.. and have you sorted it out?

33. nocanwin

nocanwin

McAfee's realtime scanner is now giving me problems with the editor. I'm on 4.3.1.

"Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\me_000\MyProject\Temp\Assembly-CSharp.dll.mdb" is denied."

Error goes away if I reimport a script or if I turn off realtime scanning. I wish there was a way to whitelist a dir, but there isn't.

34. SCS_Dani

SCS_Dani

That error still appears (I'm using 4.2.2) and as you said there is no whitelist.

35. Pawelec

Pawelec

I have the same problem. McAfee support seems not to be interested in solving the trouble, as they don't respond to my emails.

36. fredr92

fredr92

Hi im using Macafee antivirus software. im using unity 4.3.3 and i get sometimes a red error in the console saying access denied for my project, i tried turning off the antivirus and restart unity it works. so its possible too still keep developmenting but thought i should mention it.

37. bcmorris

bcmorris

Yes, same here. I'm using Unity standard 4.3.3 in win7 64bit.
    When I try to publish a build for PC with realtime scanning on the build process fails and gives the " .....\Temp\Assembly-CSharp.dll.mdb" is denied." error as above. The editor then goes into "compiler error message" mode and I have to restart Unity. With realtime scanning "off " Unity can publish.
    For days I couldn't figure out what was wrong and wasted a lot of time just messing up my project trying to fix it. :(

Any word on this from McAfee? Or does Unity need to do something better?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  38. bcmorris

bcmorris

What is going on? I see that this thread was started in 2011 so maybe Unity thinks they have fixed the issue but its back in the 4.3.3 build for people using McAfee. Is anyone from unity reading this Thread?

We need help!

39. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

We don't use MacAfee but Nod32, and in the 4.x built serie we do have this problem, can't distribute it if one of the best antivirus detects malware code (not virus signature, but eurhistic, that means, malicious trojan code, is there).

40. sherlockturtle

sherlockturtle

Trend Micro Internet Titanium Secretly removed it three times in a row without me knowing. It removed it once and I was like all right, reinstall. Then that happened three other times. It does it all without asking me too! I am trying to figure out how to flag it so it wont do that.

41. Sanath_Bharadwaj

Sanath_Bharadwaj

In my android device. Avast antivirus told that my unity game has a problem. It was mentioned like this:
    "Suspicious file detected - Cloud Reputation[Susp]"
    This problem I am facing by building using unity 4.6.1.
    Do you have any idea regarding this?
    Thanks in advance.

42. wgmocs

wgmocs

Same here... Scanned an apk built with Unity 4.6.1 using Avast Android last version.

43. charlietseng

charlietseng

Same here

44. ColdComfort

ColdComfort

For anyone stuck on this: What worked for me with McAfee was to create a text file, and rename it to Assembly-CSharp.dll.mdb (in the appropriate directory, of course). I then added this to McAfee's exception list, restarted unity, and it's now working.

45. matthewsusa

matthewsusa

Just checked my PC after reading this. I've Comodo Antivirus and it doesn't detect Unity webplayer as malware.Nor with the editor. Hell yeah \M/

46. Braken

Braken

Hi, I just downloaded a texture pack and imported it to Unity. I was surprised when several empty windows along with Avast window and MSC command line showed up. As Unity and Avast froze, I panicked and shut the computer down, uninstalling Unity afterwards. I am really scared now, is there possibility of this being a virus?

47. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes, it's possibly a virus. Let your anti-virus software have a long look around your machine and fix anything that needs to be fixed. Then install the latest Unity, and check that nothing on your machine is virus related and making changes. Then make a quick little Unity project, spinning cube or something, to make sure that simple things work. Then load your project.

48. sisermann

sisermann

I made some progress with packing the file into an SFX archive with 7zip ...
    the exe of the SFX seems to override the alert of the virus app (Panda Free August 2015).

49. TarunL

TarunL

Hi I am getting issues with 360 Total Security. It does not allow my webcam to open in Unity application.

50. cchucho

cchucho

This week, Sophos suddenly started to block the execution of our unity based application. Our setup is:

Sophos Enterprise Console (5.4.0)
    Sopos Endpoint Protection (10.6)
    Unity 5.41

The "Unity Web Apps" pattern of their "Application Control" component blocked the execution.

In addition to the already explicitly authorized "Unity Web Player", we also had to explicitly authorize "Unity Web Apps".

I'd really appreciate, if you could cause Sophos to change their mind about blocking Unity. Otherwise our customers might get quite anxious about using our products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.