Unity Community

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Unity tech writer

Anti-virus problems

There are a number of anti-virus products that incorrectly detect the Unity webplayer as malware. Additionally, other AV scans can cause problems with the editor. We already know about some of these but if you encounter a problem with anti-virus software then please add a post to this thread. This should help us follow up the issues with the manufacturers of the offending software and also to suggest workarounds until the problems are fixed.
    Last edited by andeeee; 02-22-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added note about editor problems
    I'm wired to the world... that's how I... know... everything...

2. Super Moderator
    What andeeee said, I've been chasing up anti virus companies lately to try and get both the webplayer and editor installers off there virus lists. So if you are having any problems with antivirus and unity post here and I will check in from time to time and update with what is going on.

3. Location
    Canada, West Coast
    ------------------------------------------
    Win7 x64
    2011 Trend Micro Titanium Maximun Security

Protection Strength : Normal

Exception List can not be added "Unity webplayer.exe" location unknown?

Can Not play any online unity games while Trend is On, "Shutdown Trend".

I could disable Unsafe WebSite Code ect, but how many things would i tick off before
    it's just much easy'er to turn Trend off.

Unity 3.2.0f4

4. Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    Win7 x64
    2011 Trend Micro Titanium Maximun Security

Protection Strength : Normal

Exception List can not be added "Unity webplayer.exe" location unknown?

Can Not play any online unity games while Trend is On, "Shutdown Trend".

I could disable Unsafe WebSite Code ect, but how many things would i tick off before
    it's just much easy'er to turn Trend off.

Unity 3.2.0f4
    I have already been in touch with Trend Micro and I am waiting to here back from them.

5. Location
    32.71 N, 117.15 W
    Do you want to know about issues with just the webplayer or the editor as well?

6. Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkahuna View Post
    Do you want to know about issues with just the webplayer or the editor as well?
    Any all issues that you think may be caused by anti virus and any anti virus warnings that unity triggers.

7. Location
    32.71 N, 117.15 W
    Quote Originally Posted by RoflHarris View Post
    Any all issues that you think may be caused by anti virus and any anti virus warnings that unity triggers.
    AVG Free - Unity 3.0 crashed repeatedly while using AVG. I suspect the issue would be the same with 3.2 although I have no plans to find out. I dumped AVG for Microsoft Security Essentials months ago.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Using MSE with Unity causes hard drive "dirty flags" on my system requiring a reboot with chkdsk /f (and hours of wasted time). I chronicled the issue in this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/680...ity+essentials and filed a bug report ( case 385075 ). I also frequently had issues where Unity would crash immediately on startup (before a project even loaded). I gave up on MSE and instead now use Panda Cloud.

Panda Cloud - I'm not sure if this is AV related or not, but one nagging issue that I've not been able to reproduce is that the Unity editor will crash (intermittently) when I delete a .blend1 file in the Project window (case 392543). The only reason I suspect it might be my AV causing this is because I can't think of anything else. I've also found that I still get an intermittent "dirty flag" but far less frequently than before (used to happen every couple of hours, now it's no more than once per week) and I can't be sure what the cause may be. Otherwise, no major issues.

8. Posts

Bitdefender causing random crashes

Win7 x64 Professional
    Bitdefender Total Security 2011 && Bitdefender Internet Security 2011

Editor crashes for unknown reasons. Until version 3.1 the solutions provided in http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/481...s-7-x64)/page3 were working.
    With 3.2 none of them seem to help (I added Unity to the exclusion list, I turned on Game Mode and even turned off the Real Time protection!).
    If I leave Unity open in background it doesn't crash, after start interacting with the editor (sometimes 30 secs, other times 5/10 mins) it crashes and the task has to be killed.

I even uninstalled Bitdefender just to be sure and the crashes stopped. After re-installing they started happening again.

9. Location
    Tampa, Florida
    I know Norton's AV has been listed elsewhere in the forums as a big offender, but, for what it's worth. I get a blocked message from NAV that states "mono-1-vc.dll" will not be allowed to run. It seems that the "Download Intellegence" section of the software (NAV's) can't find enough users to herd verify it. So what to do?
    Conceptual Simplicity
    Structural Complexity

10. Posts
    Any update on a solution for this. We are getting users having trouble getting into the game now since the upgrade. Norton seems to be the only AV system so far.

11. Posts
    Noticed today that Trend is now blocking the remote version of UnityObject.js. So even if you do a manual install of the webplayer and view newly created content, it will not load. Content that I have compilled as offline (using a local version of UnityObject.js) still works however.

12. Super Moderator
    Having just spent almost three hours chatting to norton support they finally provided a link to where I could submit for false positives.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

I have submitted the webplayer to them. They estimate that it will take around two weeks for this to be tested and to be added to the exclusion lists in their updates.

13. Super Moderator
    Just got a response from Norton that they are not receiving the error/not able to reproduce
    Here is the message:

We are writing in relation to your submission through Symantec's on-line
    Security Risk / False Positive Dispute Submission form for your software
    being detected by Symantec Software. After downloading, installing and
    scanning your software with Symantec's latest definitions we have been
    unable to reproduce any detection. Can we please ask you to ensure that
    you are using Symantec's latest virus definitions for detection? They
    can be found using live update or alternatively from the URL below.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com....download.html

Due to not being able to reproduce this issue we require the additional
    information below to progress the dispute.

* The message or a screen shot of the message received

* A specific URL to download the software

* Exact instructions on how to recreate issue

* Symantec product and version being used for detection

If any of you guys can supply me with any or all of the extra information that they require you can have a cookie

14. Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Okay, Here goes, with Norton 2011 Version 18.5.0.125 installed, and with the "Download Intellegence" on. the secenerio runs like this.
    I get a file insight dialog box reporting that "webplayer_win.dll" has been given a good rating. Then it will not allow the mono-1-vc.dll to install. I also get a report box theat say's "Unable to get information on Mono-1-vc.dll". the same message for CrossDomainPolicyParser.dll.
    Let me know if I can do anything else.
    Conceptual Simplicity
    Structural Complexity

15. Super Moderator
    Tsugu you get a cookie. I'll forward that onto Norton and see what they say. I think it would be great if we could get Norton on our so side so to speak.

16. Posts
    Any news from the Bitdefender guys?

It's really hard to work this way...

17. Super Moderator
    Not yet . Ive contacted them previously to your post and still not heard anything back from them. Unfortunately this seems to be the way more often than not when i contact AV companies. I submit unity for there process then never hear anything back.

18. Location
    Sugar Land, TX

Microsoft Security Essentials - MonoDevelop not opening up at all

I couldn't get MonoDevelop to open up at all, it wouldn't give me an error or a popup or anything, MSE also didn't provide any notification. I had no idea why MonoDevelop simply wouldn't open no matter what I did, until I stumbled across this post and discovered Unity has AntiVirus issues.

I opened MSE and went to the settings screen, in the "Excluded Processes" tab I added both monodevelop.exe and Unity.exe, found somewhere in the Unity's installation folder.

This eliminated my problem, I thought I should share.

19. Super Moderator
    BITDEFENDER UPDATE

I just spoke to a legend called Jason who almost immediately realised the scope of the issue and escalated it straight to the senior tech level at bit defender. I should be hearing from them in 24-48hours.

NORTON UPDATE

Nothing to update. I will try going back and harassing them again later today.

TREND MICRO UPDATE

Webplayer has been reclassified as safe by them and should now longer trigger any exceptions.
    You may need to clear your browser cache and clear Java to do this you need to go to Control Panel > Java (32-bit) > General > Temporary Internet Files > Settings... > Delete Files...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast