Search Unity

Hangs on Splash screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by agentsmith, Feb 17, 2011.

1. agentsmith

agentsmith

Has anyone ever had an android device hang on the splash screen? Even with the default Unity Splash screen (when you pick nothing) it hangs... if I hit the home button and then switch back in to the application it'll work fine. every time its started, i have to switch out and then back in to continue.

I'm porting to a G-Tablet; i've tried a Unity game from a site and it didn't have this problem on the device. Any ideas?

Here's my debug log

When I switch back in, the game has started and everything is working. Is there a way to disable the splash screen all together or possible manually adding a pause, unpause on start()?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. agentsmith

agentsmith

UPDATE:

Problem resolved!

Under "Player Settings" --> Android Tab --> Other Settings --> Graphic Level -->

It's defaulted to: "OpenGL ES 1.x"
    Change to : "OpenGL ES 2.0"

Now it doesn't hang at the splash screen anymore!

3. Umopepisdn

Umopepisdn

Same issue for me on the Xoom. However, if I switched to another process and then back, I am able to bypass the splash screen.

2.0 seems quite a bit slower for some reason. And I cannot exit the app without a task killer in either mode.

4. leebe

leebe

Unity know about this issue and I believe they have an internal fix but have not released it in an update yet. I really hope they have a proper update to fix this soon as many Android devices sold these days use the Tegra2 chipset and I believe that is the common feature that the phones/tablets have that have this bug.

5. ezone

ezone

Yeah, we are in the same boat too -- Crazy Snowboard is a bit sluggish on 2.0. I guess we just wait for the fix.

A hotfix from Unity would be nice.....

6. Fenyx4

Fenyx4

Heh, I just had the same problem. Remembered there was a topic about it so I came looking. Didn't remember that it was for the exact same tablet I'm having the problem with. :)

Here's hoping they fix it soon.

7. kromenak

kromenak

Same problem here on the Xoom. Also noticed that OpenGL 2.0 fixes it.

Is OpenGL 2.0 running slower than 1.1 an issue with Unity, or just an issue with OpenGL in general? Is there anything, like using modified shaders or something, that will make performance better under 2.0? Our game is still playable with 2.0, but it is a bit disconcerting to see the framerate so low when it seems there is still so much to add!

8. Fenyx4

Fenyx4

And another one with a hanging problem; LG Optimus 2X (a.k.a. T-Mobile G2x)

9. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

That was fixed in 3.4 (hang on splash screen on some gpus when ogles 1.1 was used)

10. nah0y

nah0y

Hum, Unity 3.4 ? Is it available ?

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

No not yet

12. nah0y

nah0y

Thanks for the answer, but if the problem has been fixed internally, is it possible to give us a small patch or fix, so we can launch our games for tablets ?