Search Unity

Reading from the screen is not allowed when you have used a downloaded texture

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by fasilpv, Feb 16, 2011.

1. fasilpv

fasilpv

Hi,

I get the following exception when I tried to call ReadPixels from texture. Can you guys please help to solve this issue. I am using Unity3.2 version

The call I am making is this

tex.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, camera.targetTexture.width, camera.targetTexture.height), 0, 0);

and the exception is

SecurityException: Reading from the screen is not allowed when you have used a downloaded texture without proper crossdomain.xml authorization
    UnityEngine.Texture2D.ReadPixels (Rect source, Int32 destX, Int32 destY) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/f724c1acfee760b6/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/Graphics.cs:1089)

Thanks, Fasil

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

please read the security sandbox on unity 3 webplayer page in the manual.
    generally: if you download textures from an unsafe (ie not crossdomained) place, it is readlocked and you can't access it to send it in some form to another place, thus a required measure to prevent data theft - while still allowing people to get images from google or facebook etc

3. fasilpv

fasilpv

Thanks for the reply. But in this application, I do not download textures from unsafe place. That is, I just create a new texture dynamically like this,

tex = new Texture2D(256, 256, TextureFormat.ARGB32, false);

and call tex.ReadPixels() method. Please let me know if I am wrong.

-Fasil

4. fasilpv

fasilpv

This issue noticed only in one machine. Is it machine specific issue?

5. Ming

Ming

I also am having problems with this SecurityException. However, I'm not using any downloaded textures as far a I know. In fact, it works perfectly once compiled into a .unity3d file and accessed from the web. It's only broken when trying to run it in the editor.

To my dismay after many hours of investigating the wrong things, I discovered that in this setting:

Modified Project->Settings->Editor

I had https://yourhostsite.com/game.unity3d instead of http://yourhostsite.com/game.unity3d

thought I'd share in case anyone else out there is as dumb as me.

6. KarolD

KarolD

Sorry for necroposting, but I get the same exception and it's not the case Ming is mentioning.
    Any other ideas ? I get this exception but I do not use ReadPixels anywhere in my code.. though I use some plugins, but I don't even know how to trace which it might be, because this error tells me nothing..