Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling on the Unity Asset Store - Earn 70% each sale, non-exclusive!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caitlyn

caitlyn

Have you made something amazing? Want to share it with the community, make some money and get your work out there? Consider selling it through the Unity Asset Store!

Asset Store offerings are purchased right inside the Unity editor-- after a few clicks the content is in your project, ready to use! We have a 70/30 non-exclusive profit share (you get 70%) and we bring your work to developers' fingertips. Models, textures, animated characters, audio, scripts, complete projects, editor extensions and more are all welcome. (Editor extensions are _extremely_ hot at the moment.)

Some of our top-selling items have grossed over $4000/mo! You've worked hard and invested your time and talent to create content-- now let us sell it for you! Here's how:

http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/asset-store-submit

Cheers!

2. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Is it possible to sell the same assets in different market place ??? another market place teased me to submitt ont their store too ...

3. Melonsoda

Melonsoda

That's what "non-exclusive" means.

4. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

antother big question : is it possible to sell by auctions an asset ???? i mean try to promote it for example on the asset section. if the minimum price expected is reached i submit it for only one customer. This client would have let me know who he is on the asset store ( client account), so that i can leave a message specifying that it is a single license user at the price specified. when appearing on the asset store,the asset would have its key images with the word " reserved" on them. It 'll just have to wait for the client to purchase it the same as usual.
    thanks in advance for answering back
    Regards

5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

thanks melonsoda ( i'm dumb)

6. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hello!

Right, Rosor, because we have a non-exclusive contract, you can sell your content anywhere you want.. Asset Store, Turbo Squid, wherever you please. And you are guaranteed a 70/30% split.

Auctioning-- definitely a great idea. We've been talking about this so that you can sell exclusive-rights to a purchaser, so that they are the only ones who can use it. Very good if you want to buy, for example, a musical soundtrack or character, and want to be certain that only your game can have it (and nobody else!). Not sure if/when that will happen, but hopefully we will. :)

Melonsoda, I love your profile pic. :)

7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Pleased to hear about that ! i think it could be better for unity to have their engine used in a good way, purchasing an " original" asset in a game is a good thing.here you can be sure that a purchaser would think twice before doing a mistake that'll prevent unity 3D software to happear the way it should never be presented. This is a damned good software that has unleashed my creativity and can truly pretend to display AAA like content if used the right way ... Hope the best for this sofware !!!

8. MrSmive

MrSmive

I have a package ready to go, then found out you cant have .3ds files, a better guide thats easier to find and tells you what you need to know on the first page rather than 3 pages in would be nice.... or separate it for mesh and scripting, im no programmer and the parts about scripting in the guide make it seem like an impossible process to even get something on the asset store, making a package with all the mats and stuff working is easy, getting it on there not so much...

Also that submission tool makes no sense at all.... totally designed for programmers and thats a shame most people who use unity are programmers or at least have that background but for guys like me who do very little scripting its a nightmare to even look at it let alone use it.

9. Ethan

Ethan

Hey Caitlyn,

can you tell us more about how to track one's sales? Is there a roadmap when this will be possible?

Thanks
    e

Hazziq likes this.
  10. caitlyn

caitlyn

Howdy all... thanks for the comments and questions!

To Mr Smive: The submission tool is pretty "1.0" and I'm sure we will smooth out the kinks for an easier and more intuitive experience. Also, it's okay to zip up your .3ds files in the project.. otherwise users who do not have 3D Studio Max on their machine will hit a bit of a roadbump when opening the project. I'll look into condensing the guide-- thanks for the useful feedback.

To Ethan: We are working on a seller dashboard (not just on the roadmap, it's underway), which will make the process of tracking your sales a heck of a lot easier. In the meantime, feel free to email assetstore@unity3d.com to request your sales info and I'll do my best to get back to you with a manual look-up.

Hope to see all your great submissions!

11. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Is there an option to sell both commercial and indie license? Similar to how GG does it?

12. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

Hi guys, I appologize in advance if these things have already been brought up. I've been reading through things here and may have missed something. I just have a few questions.

1. I understand that payments are made quarterly. Is it possible that this will change? That is an awfully long time to go without payment.

2. Are sales completely non-trackable? As an artist and a vendor, I need feedback as to what is selling and what isn't, as well as how frequently items sell and if there is demand for accessory packs or more options. I am planning on investing all of my savings and all of my time into a full time endeavor here...I really need to know if anything is selling prior to a three month mark because if it's a bust, I dont want to waste time and money.

3. As I said, I am planning on a full force push into this project as a career. I am a professional 3D artist and provide meticulously professional work. With that said, I realize that most of the $4000 per month sellers are probably selling scripts and such. Is there any way at all or anybody at all who can share with me any realistic figures or expectations for selling art assets only. I understand if you do not want to reveal personal information or numbers....that is fine. I really want to know if art, not scripting, sells. From the minimal reviews and ratings, it looks like no models are selling....there are hardly any showing and of the ones that are, it looks like one rating. Before I jump into this, I need to know that customers are buying MODELS and art assets more than once. I would greatly appreciate this input as I am sinking the last of my savings into this project and hoping to support my family. Any information would be so helpful.

4. Lastly, do payments come through paypal or via check? Do we need to file tax information or do you collect social security numbers and do the filing, as well?

Thank you so much, I am not trying to overwhelm you but I am very excited to contribute and want to get a good look at what's going on as far as sales and outlooks before jumping blindly in.

Have a wonderful day and thank you again...It's very nice to be here!

13. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

What would be nice is if someone put some youtube video tutorials of "How to submit Unity content to the Unity Asset Store"
    Just a suggestion, would be helpful, get some decent hits and be good for advertising to potential buys and content creators.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I finally got through the Asset Store provider agreement and noticed some glitches. The first and last sentences of Section 4.5 make sense but everything in between looks like it was accidentally cut-and-pasted there. And several clauses have "Error: Reference source not found" so it's not clear what they're saying.

http://unity3d.com/assetstore/asset-store-provider-distribution-agreement.pdf

15. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

to my side i've done 2 submissions. You've got to take care that they need key images in .png at 32 bit ( with the dimensions specified ( here you've got to take care to leave places in your images so that they can integrate the asset description ). When you enter your product description you can't exceed 250 or 500 letters. if you want to provide some links to view your animations or model they need to be formated in html language. you can't export .3ds file as i saw ( for the moment use .obj instead, this should be fixed maybe later, or you can still use .zip so that it can be exported correctly)
    About payment, at the end of each quarter, if you sold for more than 250 dollars, you'll receive an email prompted you to send you bank count / ID informations so that they can pay you. For the moment i've bnot heard about being paid mounthly. But you can sell your product in other market place , you'll still get your 70 /30 split on your sales ( turbosquid / gameprefab etc ... )
    For the moment i've not sold many of my assets ( not enough to live correctly according to the time i spent on it )
    Hope that helps a little bit

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You should never use Max files, because then only people with Max installed can use them. Use FBX.

--Eric

17. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

well, indeed, max files can be reopened and then modified !!! so don't include them. Only if you want customer to retouch them ( the same for .PSD i think ).

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, all files can be reopened and modified. The issue is that Unity does not read files from 3D apps such as Max, Maya, Blender, etc., but rather it opens the app in the background and makes it export to FBX (or Collada). So if you don't have the 3D app, you can't use the file at all, and you get an error message in Unity. That's why, if you intend to include 3D objects, you have to use a format that Unity imports natively, not tied specifically to any 3D app, such as FBX.

--Eric

19. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i would like to know why COLLADA files were left out of the asset store accepted files, why only fbx and obj if unity can load collada perfectly fine, for example collada its the only format that cinema 4d can export without issues to unity, id love collada to be inside the accepted files in the asset store and i would be able to submit many more assets to the store, as that is the main format that i use for my projects

20. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hey all.

Spend several hours today trying to to upload my first package to the story... Hm... Just wasted time. Of course I am not advanced Unity user, but...

I downloaded AssetStoreTools but Where I get this file "AssetStoreTools.unitypackage"? In what project I need to import it. In main Unity project or in My package project?

Can someone help me with this Cabala? :)

21. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

when you download the asset store tools from the asset store, it gets automatically imported,

you need the asset store tools on the project where you have what you want to submit but to be safe read this document

http://unity3d.com/assetstore/asset-store-submission-guidelines.pdf

its actually quite simple once you know the standards.. and remember to use only 32 bits png for the images and the screenshots ;)

22. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Heh...

Thank you CoatlGames.
    But unfortunately it is not helps. :(

Do I need to create new project from Unity editor?
    Actually I have to many questions. So better I will not seal here. :(

23. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

For the stuff.

I don't think, guys, that one need to be just a modeler to seal in you store.
    To following your instruction I need to be familiar with Unity editor pretty well.
    I spent several days to learn it but even after it I cant use your instructions from this guideline: http://download.unity3d.com/assetstore/asset-store-submission-guidelines.pdf

You really need to be advanced user for it. :(

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Some more text in the provider agreement that doesn't look right to me, in section 8.2.2

"(i) Provider must refund to Unity, a sum corresponding to
    the full purchase prize that the Customer has paid for the Asset in question and
    Unity will then repay the full price to the Customer"

Shouldn't the sum refunded be the amount remitted from Unity to the provider, not the full purchase "prize"?

25. andeeeee

andeeeee

@mr_Necturus: is there any particular part of the submission process that you are having trouble with? You are welcome to ask questions here or else contact assetstore@unity3d.com if you need help submitting assets.

26. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hey Andee,

Thanks,

Actually It's not clear (at least for me) where I will place folder with my package.Does new project must be named like this, or I need to place it into existing project (as i did). I downloaded tool but it not work... Maybe it also don't placed right.

I am sure it is a pretty easy proses. But I need that someone show me what exactly I need to do, and where all things must be placed. Any video tutorial... Maybe for people that pretty familiar with Unity PDF guideline works fine. But not for me.

Now I asked my friend, that knows Unity very well, to help me. Hope it will works.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  27. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

You guys really need to get up a youtube video tutorial. I dont have a clue how to upload my animated character either.
    Its already to go. But I am completely baffled with this upload process/file.

Its ashame because there might be alot of talented artists that are not proficient unity users/scripters that might get turned off by the lack of help in uploading.

Its bad enough you pay out quarterly and dont have a way to track sales...this uploading/submission process might be the nail in the coffin to have most of the good artists move exclusively to gameprefabs.com.

28. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi guys.. we realize it's a little rough, still, but we are getting the rest of the infrastructure in place. Probably within a week or two, we will have the online sales Dashboard for sellers and providers to check their sales. Phew. :)

We're trying to make the upload and submission process easier... no final word on it yet, but we are looking into making payments more frequent than quarterly.

Cheers

Caitlyn

29. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

also you could consider giving the option of being paid with paypal, because wire transfers are expensive and they may take up to a month to take effect in the person's bank account

30. Draad

Draad

Youpiyhaaaaaaa ! Dashboard to see sales, that's great thanks A.S. team ! :)

31. knuckleHead

knuckleHead

At least you guys can find the dang store!!!
    Caitlyn, I click "Store" and it only takes me to the Unity engine sales page. errr, where is the asset store ?
    (May I also ask why is this site like a maze inside of a maze inside of a maze ?)

Thank You ahead of time!

P.S.
    There isn't a link on this page ?? http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/asset-store

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  32. Dreamora

Dreamora

The asset store is within the unity editor under Window

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Also you can link to individual pages on the web, which have an "open asset store" button. e.g., Vectrosity.

--Eric

34. knuckleHead

knuckleHead

"The asset store is within the unity editor under Window "
    rock on.

35. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

so how do you make a 32bit png?? photoshop will not allow it.

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes it does, just save a 24-bit PNG with transparency. Transparency is 8-bit alpha, 24 + 8 = 32.

--Eric

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

just ensure to get the superpng plugin, do not use photoshops default exporter

38. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I've tried both of your suggestions, but i still get the same "Wrong Color Format" error in the asset store package manager.
    This is embarrassing, but I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed, Unity or me.

39. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

never mind, fixed it... the embarrassment lies in my court.

40. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i use artweaver which is like a small free photoshop copycat, you can save easily 32 bit png's with that, also it can open .psd files

http://www.artweaver.de/

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

"Save for web" works fine, haven't tried the Photoshop save because it usually adds some extra gunk.

--Eric

42. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

What i found is that you must ensure that there is transparency somewhere in the RGB layers (the checkerboard pattern) because even if you create an alpha channel, as long as your RGB channels are entirely opaque in Photoshop, the PNG will save as RGB and not RGBA.

43. Ethan

Ethan

thx for this link, btw
    great tool :)

44. marcos

marcos

I'm also interested in knowing how well art assets sell before investing time into the endeavour.

45. Draad

Draad

@ ScienceFicionado the most easy way to do it to put your first layer (background layer) entierly empty. Then save as .png and all should be ok.

46. ippdev

ippdev

OK.. I cannot find this AssetsStoreTools.unitypackage. I looked in the Asset Store and through the importable Assets packages from the menu.. I cannot see it. Where is this elusive toolset found?

TIA
    BTH

47. 3dDude

3dDude

In the main asset store home page scroll down... Its on the bottom right corner.

48. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

until the live sales portal its done.. pretty much everybody is just guessing, which is not very cool, i have an example project on the asset store (Xpand Game Prototype), but i really have no idea to this date if have any sales at all, so unless the promised live sales tracker is done or until march 31 which is the date of the end of this quarter, its when everybody will know if they got or not any sales

49. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Image templates would make things a bit easier too. ;) It's kind of tricky to gauge how things will look once up on the page.

Couple of questions:

1. If the images don't look quite how you thought after you get the package up, is there a way to alter them?

2. Do you have to fill in the whole image with color, or do transparent areas show that gray gradient?

Thanks

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The asset store docs come with image templates. Also there's a preview button in the asset store tools window.

--Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.