Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling on the Unity Asset Store - Earn 70% each sale, non-exclusive!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJAM

SJAM

Someone has received the payment, since end of june?

2. Samb88

Samb88

Got mine for june, still missing the payment for may.. but I think they are going from month to month.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's quarterly.

--Eric

4. Samb88

Samb88

Yes, but May is before June.. So it should be in the same payment... I think :)

5. SJAM

SJAM

I didn't receive the payment of march,april, may and june ... for my part, I don't know for why.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just got my payment for the entire quarter, odd that you only got a month. On another point, I had to pay a recipient fee for the transfer via Paypal, is that the same for everyone? Just seems a little much paying out 30% then having to pay another 4% to get your earnings plus losing out on conversion from dollars to pounds so another 2% gone there , so ends up being a 62% cut only. Just seems misleading to say Earn 70% per sale when you are in fact only earning 62%, I understand it is probably different for US based sellers as they can get a check, but seems odd that again Euro customers who have to pay 25% more anyway then have to lose and extra 8%.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Dollar to Pounds: That can be avoided by adding USD currency and others so it stays in the native

The 4% (or 2.2% up to 3.9% depends on your cash inflow) is a fee you have to pay for any incoming cash on paypal. Thats hte basics upon which paypal operates at all :)
    Its a rather reasonable one, western union money transfer costs significantly more fee per transaction and takes longer / can't be used as payment methond on the web

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I was kinda assuming the paypal fee would have been part of the 30% taken by Unity hence the claim that we 'get' 70%, also Iam pretty sure I read on another thread after a question was asked about the 3.9% fee that Unity said they were paying it, hence my surprise that I had to pay it. Just checked the paypal FAQ and it says the fee can be paid either by the sender or the receiver the sender chooses http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/96...il-or-anything?p=629048&viewfull=1#post629048

9. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

you are right, SpookyCat, Keely said that Caitlyn said that the fee would be paid by Unity.
    He said she said, lol.

10. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hm... Where is Unity guys? We are speaking here only with ourselves. Like passengers on the abandoned by staff boat. :(

11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

That is the problem especially when everything is priced in USD (which currently sucks the big one) thats why I think everyone should raise the price of their items by 20% or so.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

EU inhabitants pay in EUR actually.

also unless you live in switzerland or yen, there is not much of a problem as all other currencies in the western hemisphere are either strongly connected to the USD or EUR and suck just as badly as both of these freefall to hell currencies

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

I've a business account and that information is definitely false. Its impossible to make the buyer / sender of money pay it for any business transactions, its only possible for "money gifts" among personal accounts which are very limited in what you can do with them at all. (I wouldn't pay PayPal up to 3.9% of my work income if I could get around it ;))

15. aubergine

aubergine

Its september, and i think its the payment month right? If so, when should we expect any info about how to recieve payment?

16. unikronsoftware

unikronsoftware

There seems to be a new wire transfer option in the Payout tab.... $20 transaction fee, paid quarterly.

17. aubergine

aubergine

Oh i didnt see the payout tab before, i think its new.
    One stupid question though, what is the paypal account? Is it the email adress that i registered to paypal?

18. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Where is the payout tab, cant see it on the Publisher Admin page?

19. aubergine

aubergine

It is right in the center.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr seems I needed to login again to see the new tab :) So a wire transfer is $20 thats it? No 3.9% like paypal? And that will work to UK banks?

21. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I noticed that choosing PayPal the payment is set as monthly, quite nice :) ... but I didn't see any payment go through yet: when will this option go live?

@SpookyCat: if UT have money on their PayPal account then PayPal won't charge us any fee for receiving the payments. You can then transfer from PayPal to your local bank account (it's free as well).

22. Trav6

Trav6

It's telling me "Could not get publisher info. Please login". I am logged in. This is my first upload, do I need to set up some publisher info somewhere? I need help.

23. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'd like a proper answer on whether we are required to have a website for our company in order to make a submission. Regardless of the marketing benefits, it is a legal requirement from Unity? Is it enough to put in your Unity profile url?

Also doesn't submitting as a company mean you have to set yourself up as a proper company, ie like a Limited Liability Company with a Business License and all that?

And do you need a business bank account or will it suffice to use paypal to keep track of income?

24. caitlyn

caitlyn

Basically we do require you to have some kind of web page.. but it can even be a link to your Facebook page if you haven't got a proper website.

How you define yourself as a business or individual is up to you and how you deal with your local law. We do not require you to have a business, business license or egistered business name to sell things on the Asset Store. Plenty of individuals choose to simply sell things as themselves, some unofficially use their own brand names, others are registered businesses with registered trademarks. Ultimately it's up to you!

Cheers

Caitlyn

25. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Isn't it a legal requirement ( in the USA anyway) that if you are earning income then you have to claim it on taxes as self employment, to pay taxes on it, and then by selling stuff ( over 400 per year) you have to set up as a proper sole proprietor or open an llc, requiring a business license and EID and keep books on income/expenses etc?

I wish there was some kind of guide on this from Unity because it's kind of like saying ok here's the tools to make products but you're on your own as soon as you try to sell them.

26. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Bump .... there seems to be little discussion about what's needed legally to sell unity creations.

27. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

@ImaginaryHuman: your best optioin is asking to an accountant in your country. Even if somebody will answer you here... will you actually value a forum post in your relationship with the IRS? I hope not ;)

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

Also you aren't selling in the USA so UT wouldn't be directly touched by US developers not reading up on the law affecting them.

I'm sure the USA, as all other countries too, have pretty clear documents on what you have to do and when so you can inform yourself without feeding an accountant.

29. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Actually it's a bit of a vague area... there is no place I've found that simply says you must do a and b and c and d, there's all sorts of suggestions that you `probably` or `might` do a and/or b and/or c but it's kind of like being out there on your own trying to figure it out. That's why it'd be really helpful to hear from people who have actually done it, have actually set up a business and what they did to make that happen.

The impression I get, or that is given, is that you can just create whatever you want and start selling it and that's the end of the story, and I'm sure a tonne of people are doing that but I'm fairly sure that much is not legal. So there must be other things we're required to do.

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

All people I know really just setup an LLC as its normally the simplest to what I've been told and it 'protects your ass' which is a relevant thing in the USA be it due to others sueing you or when you get problems within the company itself to not be responsible for it with your own stuff.
    Would guess when you earn you would consider going there too be it just as protection against damage claims

31. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

@ImaginaryHuman: that's quite normal, there is no universal approach to the tax matter, it depends on a huge amount of factors. I can tell you that here in Ireland we operate as family business, so we don't need incorporating: for the tax office it's just myself with my VAT number and tax Id. In Italy the sole requirement would be to get a VAT Id. In the US? I've no idea about the minimum requirement, but I agree with dreamora: registering a LLC, even with you as sole proprietor, is quite often the way people go.

32. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

There you go.... some voice of *experience* that knows about this stuff, that's what's needed.

I have another Nolo book from the library about setting up small businesses and starting an LLC... looks to be the way to go to be more protected. I just don't exactly know, even with this book, what the `steps required by law` are ... business license? employer ID number? quarterly taxes? bla bla bla. More to read I guess.

33. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I guess you have two options here: speak with an accountant or pay a visit to your local IRS agency to get some advice ;)

34. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

@ImaginaryHuman: I had my own business in the great state of South Dakoa. For me, all I had to do was go to my state's commerce website and apply for a business license. In our state, your business tax ID is your social security number for small business like mine (I did web development and graphic design). Now, I had to charge sales tax for all of my in-state customers. If I had a customer out of state (i.e. Minnesota), I could not charge sales tax as it was against interstate commerce laws. At the end of each month, I had to submit my tax payments to the state. So, for example, if I charged $100 for my services, we have a 6% sales tax in SD, so the total invoice was for $106. If that was all I sold, at the end of the month, I would cut a check to the state of SD for $6.

Each state is different and each state has their own process. You will need to look there. I would also suggest you get in touch with your local SBA (small business association) as they are a government agency that provides free advice and some limited services for people looking to start a new business or to go into business for themselves. www.sba.gov is where to start.

Good luck. It can be very fun and liberating to own and run your own business but be prepared for paperwork. :)

35. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Thanks, yea I'll look into the free service and from what I was reading last night I'm going to need to learn more about setting up an LLC. I don't much like the idea of the paperwork and managing accounts and taxes and all that stuff, but the big wide world of government and laws pretty much requires it.

36. smiljan66

smiljan66

Please pay attention to this guys they put lal assets stuff in there and share it with no permission giving a very hard attack to all asstes stuff people that are honestly selling i think unity muts sue this guys from cg arena

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

there is all there sometimes this guys buy assets with other people joining together and sharing with all this guys must be stopped at all cost, i think unity must do something because they dont hav permission to this.

I was putting some post there asking for stuff just to probe it that thi sguys do this and is confirmed.

37. nipoco

nipoco

You should not share such links because it will attract just more people who are looking for illegal stuff. That must be reported to Unity.

38. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Just probing? Asking for one asset I think would be probing your history seems to show you 'desperate to get 6 assets, seems you got what you needed and probably got caught out by one of the authors. And as NiPoCo says not really a good idea to share such links.

39. smiljan66

smiljan66

Well i have to say this is dangerous im going to sell my desert pack and i was there in cg persia like a spy and i can confirm you guys they pass each other the plugins when the people complain and delete the links they are a big group i have to say also , i never in my life put links to download or something i was just there cheking and i dont like that is very dangerous and i dont need to i can buy myself all plugins i need for my work becuase i work hard but this guys must be stoped and i dont see unity doesent do nothing and , that forum page must be closed and thats all i have to say.

Thanks
    Smiljan

Also i dont think is fair for we producers have to go to that fourm each day and see if some one put out work for free .

40. smiljan66

smiljan66

Jesus i can buy all pack of asset store with the work i do , i needed to see well that before im selling my own package called desert pack and you can see it here Sir

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/115417-Desert-Pack-soon-available-!-)?p=768432#post768432

Also you can see im a freelancer and work honestly and gain every penny i work so i think you are wrong and have the wrong image about me.

My webpage

www.smiljan3dartist.com

Thanks

41. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

so you asked for assets there...and now that you decided to sell own stuff on the asset store you are afraid of pirates? and you post links to pirate sides. Thanks...blacklisted you.

42. DevionGames

DevionGames

43. davew175

davew175

Is there a way for a seller to download their package from the asset store without buying it first. I'd like to be able to do that so I can see the exact version that's for sale and to verify the install process.

44. bluee

bluee

Nice thread man, I was searching for such a nice idea so I wanna invest and wanna start my own business so I believe that this is the awesome way where I can spend...

45. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

When I choose a Package to upload to the Asset Store and the upload starts, at about 60 percent it stops and I get the message 'Too many Root Threads'. Why would this be?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  46. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Make sure you have the latest asset store tools from the asset store 3.1.7 is the latest I believe, that should stop the error, also make sure you dont have web build selected as that causes issues as well.

47. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Is there a limit on the size that can be uploaded? Thanks.

48. stefmen

stefmen

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Question, I recently added one on my assets on the store to the Asset store sale so reduced the price from $15 to $0, so I have been checking the free downloads numbers on the publisher admin site. The thing is it is also showing that there have been many free downloads of this one of my apps over all the previous months it has been non free. Now I would understand if this figure were people redownloading the asset to new projects but the fact only one of my assets is showing this is a little odd, can someone from the store explain why there are free downloads showing up for an asset that was not free just to ease my mind :)
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  50. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

If you download your own packages (click "purchase"), it shouldn't charge you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.