Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling on the Unity Asset Store - Earn 70% each sale, non-exclusive!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Ah, thanks Eric. I see there are some things I'm missing as I haven't downloaded the Asset Store Tools package yet.

2. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

and yes, there is a way to modify them, but you would need to re submit your asset as an update, and wait for it to get approved again (mine took like 2 days), the publisher information and images, can be updated anytime without getting any kind of approval, via the asset store tools.

but i would suggest you use the preview button as much as needed to see if your asset images and description look ok

3. Draad

Draad

Be care, for updtaing an asset already validated on Asset Store, you must resubmit and change the Version of your asset, or only price and text will be submited.

4. Draad

Draad

Aslo Asset Store team, it could be nice to be able to see Asset as categories, I mean like seeing only character, or only airship, or only plants, etc...

5. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Thanks for the tips guys. I hope to have a little script collection up next week.

Thanks for posting the sample images in the other thread too Caitlyn.

6. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

You can email Caitlyn and request your earnings to date, so its not true that we are all waiting until March 31 to find out.

7. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Okay, so I've got my package pretty much ready to go. However, I can't seem to find a way to preview all of the images. The preview window only seems to show the big image. Is there a way to preview the smaller images to make sure they look alright too?

Thanks

8. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

if you are refering to your products images, not im afraid not, you can only preview the big image and the screenshots

9. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Okay, thanks for the info. The images are probably alright, but it would be nice to be able to make sure. Hopefully UT will add the ability to preview all product images before submitting in the future.

10. mas

mas

Any ETA on the seller dashboard?

Kind regards,

Martijn Segers
    WyrmTale Games

11. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

mr_Necturus,

First off, keep the assets you plan on submitting for asset store in a single project, separated from anything you might be working on. Then, when th asset/scene/project is done, import the Asset Store tools. You won't be able to import it in a project other than the currently opened one, so when you do, the asset store tools will be imported in the project you are working on and have it opened. I hope thats more than clear.
    Next, set up the icon, the screenshots and the description. You will be prompted if any of the requirements are not met. Then submit!

12. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

I just wanted to let you guys know I have a fully animated model up for sale here: http://www.gameprefabs.com/products/show/225

This was originally planned to go here but I could not figure out the submission process and still have not gotten any feedback about art asset sales. Once things are laid out better here, I will be very excited to try out the store.

I saw another post from a guy who did a realistic gun pack and sold it on turbosquid. There's alot of talent out there and I am sure it will swing this way once all the kinks are ironed out.

Keep at it, can't wait to contribute!

13. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

I have an update ready for my script package, but I'm having a little issue. The package seems to validate fine, but I'm getting an error message when trying to do a preview.

TYPE ERROR
    result of expression 'minimum_version' [undefined] is not an object

I've added a script and some textures to the package. I've also changed the version number and description. Not sure what's going wrong.

Has anyone got that error before? Any ideas what I need to do to get the preview working again?

Thanks

14. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

me too !!! i've never been able to preview my submission. error appears too . I can't remember if it's the same ...

15. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have our Asset Store dev team have a look at it. Hopefully we can get it resolved ASAP.

Cheers

Caitlyn

16. neonleif

neonleif

I'm all over the issue.
    Did you send a bugreport on the issue with the bugreporter? If so, PM the case number to me.

Nico

17. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Hi legoleg. Thanks for looking into this! No, I didn't think to submit a report this time. If you prefer, I could though.

Thanks

18. neonleif

neonleif

Good news: It has been fixed this morning and is live on the server \o/

Cheers.
    Nico

19. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Works perfectly now! Thanks Caitlyn and legoleg for your quick response! :)

20. geo_n

geo_n

I can't find the store to upload models,etc? Is it on the web or in the unity3D program? If its in the program, can I install the free version to sell assets? Thanks.

21. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi there Geo,

You can find the Unity Asset Store right *inside* Unity! Just launch Unity, select Window > Asset Store. Then you'll be able to browse everything our store offers right there in a window inside the Unity editor! Cool thing about it being inside the editor is that your purchases appear immediately in your workspace =)

For information on submitting and selling content, just check here:

http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/asset-store-submit

Cheers we look forward to seeing your submission. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, especially for the big and small key images.

22. geo_n

geo_n

Thank you Caitlyn I found it. :)

23. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

Any update of the quarterly payment becoming monthy or more frequent yet?
    Also is there a way to receive payments via Paypal yet?

Thanks

24. wisdomknight

wisdomknight

Any news?

25. Muzzn

Muzzn

Saw your blog on top seller...I want those balloons.

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Do sellers get any information on who has purchased their Asset. Be handy to know in case someone gets hold of it through other means.

27. Aedous

Aedous

I did have a look at the Assets Store and I've noticed a couple of things:

1. A lot of people say that the Asset Tools Download is on the bottom right hand corner on the Assets Window, however it's not there, unless I'm supposed to be looking in an Asset Category ( Extensions, Scripts e.t.c).

2. The Asset Store sometimes shows the error message "TypeError: Result of expression 'this.results[d].keyimage' [undefined] is not an object." which sometimes causes the Asset Store to act funny.

3. In the latest projects section on the Homepage, I cannot click on the categories of Assets, I have to type it in the search bar first and then navigate through there.

I do think that this is a very good idea though, and can't wait to see it grow in the future!

28. freyr

freyr

It's a text link all the way down to the right called "Publish your best stuff with the Asset Store Tools!" (you might have to scroll down a bit)
    You can also just follow this link: http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/asset-store-tools/1sF

This was most probably due to a server bug that was fixed last Sunday. If this is still happening to you please fire up the Bug Reporter ("Help" menu, then "Report a Bug") and send in a bug report.

I'm not sure what you mean there. You should be able to click on either the category title or the "See All>" link at the bottom of each box. Was this only after receiving the TypeError you mention above or does it happen even without that?

29. phex

phex

monthly payment and i´m in.
    No $250 minimum.

Make it 60%, and everyone is happy.

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agree to the monthly payment
    But disagree to the $250 unless there is a quality control introduced as its the only way to ensure that "crap" is not offered for money at all or not in high volumes but instead bundled as the people would wait forever until they get money if they try to crap flood the store with low to no quality seperate models at $1 and alike to make "some fast money"

31. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I strongly second dreamora's post ;)

32. keely

keely

This is a slightly wild idea, but I'm just going to throw it out there.

I'm in a position where I got substantial income from the Asset Store during last few weeks. I only have basic version for Unity iPhone. I'm sure many of the Asset Store developers have the Pro licenses, but surely not everyone has every license. I'm considering whether I should buy Pro license now.

I was just thinking that if developer wants to use the money he/she made in the Asset Store to buy new licenses from UT, you could discount your 30% cut to 0%. This might encourage ppl to sell through Asset Store vs. selling from their own site and it might have net positive cross effect overall.

As an example:
    Developer A sells 100 copies of his MegaAsset in the Asset Store with a price of 10$.
    Normally he would get:

70% * 100 * 10$ = 700$

Now If he would choose to buy iPhone basic licence (worth 300$) with the scheme I'm proposing, he'd get:

license + (100 * 10$ - 300$) * 70% = license + 490$

So basically I'm proposing a way to use my Asset Store income to buy UT products with discount.

33. crazyosachou

crazyosachou

Hello, My question is :

Am a 3DsMax Scripter , and i'v made some scripts for 3DsMax that help you to export your animations works from it to unity3D ... Can i put this scripts in your Unity Store ?

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

@keely: interesting idea :)
    Though your numbers suck, as iOS basic / android basic are $400, not $300 ;) ($300 was the unity 3 prerelease price)

35. ivanzu

ivanzu

Can someone explain me what are "key images" are that images of product that im going to sell???

36. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

@ivanzu: yep, they are the files for the store, the ones you've got (I guess) the PSD (and Gimp) templates (from here) ;)

37. Samb88

Samb88

I have a question about the currency difference.
    I'm selling my framework for 20$ right now. The Asset Store says to me "19€". But it should be 15€ since $ 1,42 = 1€...
    I don't wanna beef about it, but where are those 4€ going? ;)

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

VAT.

--Eric

39. keely

keely

What's up with developer payments? Agreement says I'll be contacted within ten days of the end of the quarter. I haven't been contacted. Since I don't see anyone else complaining about it, I'm getting a feeling the e-mail got stuck in a spam filter or something like that.

40. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

@keely: nothing in the spambox ;) I guess there is some flexibility there and... the first 10 days aren't over yet :)

41. keely

keely

Yeah I'm not worried or anything. Info would be nice though, since I'm planning to pay some bills with the cash.

42. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Me too Keely, no messages. I was told by Caitlyn that payments would be handled before the end of July.
    Its frustrating, I feel you- I also have bills to pay.

43. keely

keely

Just for future reference if anyone reads this thread: I got contacted and informed on the payments and everything is fine. I also misinterpreted the 10 days delay in the agreement.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  44. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey guys,

Yeah.. we're sorry it's taking a bit longer than we had hoped. We're working on getting an automated system in place so it should go a lot faster in the future.

Getting you paid quickly is extremely important to us, and we're doing our best to handle each of you as soon as possible. Thanks for hanging in there!

Cheers

Caitlyn

45. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hi Ivanzu,

Key images are the pictures you see when you visit an item on the asset store.. for example, open the store and look at the top featured item. You're looking at the big key image prepared by the seller. When you view by category or when something is featured at the bottom of the front page, you're seeing the small key image. And the icon key image is the smallest of all seen if you drill down into each category.

Key images can be graphically designed to look slick, or they can be as simple as screenshot pasted in an image of the given resolution.

Important tip-- a strong key image can make the difference between something going into the top showcase slot or not. We've got a few items which I'd really like to showcase, but they have weak key images.. and the content provider hasn't responded to requests to improve the artwork. Which is a pity! In general I recommend not putting too much black on the key images, not putting too much text (if any) on top of it, and if you're not a graphic artist, going easy on photoshop effects (or avoiding them all together).

Cheers,

--
    Caitlyn Meeks-Ferragallo
    Content Manager
    Unity Asset Store

Unity Technologies
    50 Osgood Place, Ste 220
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    415.820.4281 (telephone)
    415.820.4276 (fax)

46. Slarti

Slarti

anybody else having problems downloading the Asset Store Tools?

when I click on "Publish your best stuff with Asset Store Tools!" nothing happens.

is there an alternative location where I could get the package?

Edit: nevermind, found it via the search... seems the link is dead

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  47. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Slarti, i had the same problem. I ended up just importing my asset tools folder from an older project.

48. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

I'Ve got a quick question. Why do i need a website? Because honestly, i don't have one. And im not going to need one very soon as im not planning to write about anything in a blog or so. So does that really stop me from selling stuff on the the asset store?

49. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Hey Chickenlord,

I guess that if the field is mandatory and you don't have a website you can always put your unity profile address:

http://forum.unity3d.com/members/45551-Chickenlord

Anyway selling means also to market your stuff... quite hard without at least blogging about it ;)

50. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Well, yeah. Usually you would put at least a thread in this forum and i'd guess more people would buy things they see here than things they see in some random blog :D
    But i nonetheless, i got your point. Lets hope people will eventually start reading my blog :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.