Search Unity

Problem multiple materials with Particle Renderer

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mas, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mas

mas

Hello,

If I create a material array with the size of 3 in my ParticleRenderer , and set element0-2 to different materials .. all 3 materials are used on each particle. This means each particle that is created gives me the 3 overlapping textures.

Anyone knows how I can get the renderer to take a random material when emitting a particle?

(Ps. posted this earlier in some iOS topic - but reposted because I think this is a better place)

2. mas

mas

Can someone please confirm if this is a bug, a feature , or if I am just doing it the wrong way.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, it's supposed to work like that. You'd need 3 separate particle systems if you want 3 separate materials.

--Eric

4. mas

mas

Thanks for Your reply. Totaly unlogical IMHO , a three layered particle could easily be photoshopped. A material randomizer would be more usefull.

5. eMilk

eMilk

Sorry for bumping ancient thread. Had the same problem, decided to do a quick fix, rather than create several particle systems. This short example here emits different pokemons.

Assign the .js snippet below to the particle system you wish to assign a random material to.

Pardon my ugly code.

Code (csharp):
    2. var pokemons : Material[];
    4. function Update () {
    6.     if (particleEmitter.emit){ // only do this random selection while actually emitting
    7.     if (pokemons.Length == 0) // do nothing if no pokemons
    8.         return;
    9.     var ichooseyou : int = Random.Range(0,pokemons.Length); // pick random pokemon
    10.     renderer.sharedMaterial = pokemons[ichooseyou];
    11. }
    12. }

6. Santokes

Santokes

Cool script eMilk

This makes my particles flicker like mad: every frame they're choosing new materials.

What you really want is for a newborn particle to pick a material, and stick with it for the remainder of its life.

Really, the Unity particle system should be doing this already...