Search Unity

Hand Painted Textures Collection

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Origin, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Origin

Origin

Hello everybody.

I have been working on a set of hand painted textures I intend to make available for your projects. I will attempt to add them to the asset store and possibly other asset sites online.

My goal for now is to make a set that is complete enough to use for a basic medieval town. Textures for common house and castle walls, floors, roofs, and so on. And textures for trees, ground, grass, rocks, and plants. If interest warrants, I will paint and upload more after the initial set.

First set released:
    http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=439332

Any comments, critiques, and ideas are very welcome!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

amazing, but seamless?!

3. SrBilyon

SrBilyon

These are nice! You painted these in photoshop?

4. Origin

Origin

@Benopaluz Yes, they are seamless. Pretty much every texture will be seamless except for those that will have alpha maps; grass, plants, leaves and the like.

@SirVictory Yes, they are done in Photoshop along with my trusty old tablet.

5. Blacklight

Blacklight

That is going to be one cool looking town.

6. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I completely agree.

@Origin you should make a town, to show off your textures nicely :D.

7. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Heh - cool textures, there. :)
    I really like those.

8. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Very beautiful.

9. shadow explorer

shadow explorer

indeed very beautiful textures^^

10. Acumen

Acumen

Wow, these are truly amazing.
    I hope you applied for various game companies already. This is a serious amount of skill displayed !

From a quick view I only have a nitpicky stuff. Normally on wooden floors the planks are nailed onto horizontal (in your example) boards and therefore the nails should all be on one height level approximately. Sure it doesn't need to be 100% perfect, but your offset is a tad much, I think.

Again, this is some serious topnotch work. If you haven't applied already, you better get things going !

11. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

Good idea! They'd add some great flavor to a world - I like the balance between cartoony/real. Might be nice to find or make a few demo objects that fit the feel of the textures, that way people could get a better feel for how they look in-game.

Good luck with the set.

12. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Wow, they look amazing.

There is this one guy doing a really amazing retexturing of the Zelda games from N64, and these kind of remind me of it.

http://i56.tinypic.com/fd7ck2.png

I'd love to see some dirt/rock/grass in the same style as these!

13. mikesgames

mikesgames

These are some amazing textures :)

14. karl_

karl_

They look great! Are you also releasing normals for them?

15. sebako

sebako

lovely - will be happy to buy them, any pricing ideas?

16. Origin

Origin

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.

I will definitely consider making a couple small environments to show the textures in use, once I get most of the textures I have in mind finished. I know making textures before models is a bit bass ackwards, but I like textures more then 3d. :D

@Acumen- I haven't applied for any companies, I do not have a portfolio or a body of work I think is good enough to be in a portfolio. Perhaps the environment I make for these textures will qualify.

Also thanks for your suggestion with the staggered planks, I have fixed them a bit.

@Karl_- I wasn't planning to, I will consider it when I am done. I don't think it would take to much time to make normals, just tedious.

@zemog86- I haven't really thought about it to much yet. Each one takes a couple hours to make, more if I do normal maps, and I think the first set will contain around 20 textures. I am open to suggestions.....

On to a small update.

I redid the staggered planks a bit and made a grass texture.

17. MrSmive

MrSmive

these are real nice mate, love the cartoon richness reminds me a lot of nez game tiles, though obviously looking a hell of alot better lolz.

Good work keep it up.

18. legand

legand

download??

19. Origin

Origin

@MrSmive- Not sure what Nez is but thanks.

@Legand I plan on having them up on the asset store when I am done with the first set. I am thinking I should be done with the first set some time next week.

My goal is to put together a set of textures that can be used, or easily manipulated to be used on various sorts of assets. Common houses, castles, walls, ground, plants/trees, and other clutter.

20. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Problem is, I could never make character or prop textures that'd match this inspired quality!

21. Sollthar

Sollthar

Lovely and inspiring work there man!

22. sebako

sebako

Well for toony terrain textures I would pay ~15-20$ for a pack, just as a price suggestion.

cheers

23. callahan.44

callahan.44

Really nice textures! :)

Maybe a bit too much directional lighting on them tho, but would rock with normals/parallax shader.

24. MrSmive

MrSmive

nez = the original super Nintendo mate, the grandfather of most all consoles.

25. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

"Nintendo Entertainment Zystem?"

26. Origin

Origin

@WarpedAxiom- I am open to some freelance work for character textures in a similar style if you need. As for props, if you have Photoshop or even The Gimp, or similar, you should be able to cut and paste these textures in a way to fit a fair number of props. More or less what people do with photo source textures.

@MrSmive- I have never heard nintendo called NEZ. NES, nintendo entertainment system, and SNES,super nintendo entertainment system.

No update for now, hopefully later tonight. I have a couple more that I did over the weekend but I am on a different computer at the moment.

27. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

What's your price range? Yeah, I guess you're right. I only need a solid, tiling wood texture to make, say, a chair with some clever unwrapping. Will your set include different "raw" materials as well? I mean like "wood" as opposed to "planks" and "stone" as opposed to "wall".

28. MrSmive

MrSmive

depends were u come from mate, slang devovertive of nes for the snes, so theirs the nes and nez but yeah would of made more sense other way around lmao. Still stand by these reminding me of old school games like zelda and such with there tiles, only at a much high resolution and quality.

29. Origin

Origin

@WarpedAxiom- Well I havent ever hand painted a character texture... I would think it would probably take me a bit longer then somebody with experiance, however I am confident that I could come up with a good result for relatively cheap. Send me a PM if you might be interested, perhaps we can work something out.

On to an update.....

Top 4 are more or less new, bottom 2 are "old" but tweaked a bit.

Critiques and general feedback is very welcome.

30. pinkhair

pinkhair

Well, nothing wrong with directional lighting in a texture, depending on what sort of game it is. Especially for mobile platforms, RTS games, and the like. Hand painted textures tend to work well that way.

31. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

See something like this guys work, THIS is what is worth paying for. The obvious effort put into it, plus the style is great.

32. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Your textures would be great for GUI elements, too.

33. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Amazing textures, just amazing! You need paid work! lol

34. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I'm not working on anything at the moment with this style, so I was just inquiring for future reference. Besides, I never seem to be able to do great textures justice.

35. Origin

Origin

Thank you everybody for the kind words.

@WarpedAxiom If you ever need a texture artist, shoot me a line.

Update:

Been working on a scene using the textures in this thread, as some people have suggested. Scene is still very much WIP. I will definitely add more clutter and junk, and I might make a small village.

I also have a few more textures more or less finished.

Edit: Open image in new tab for larger view.

Appreciate critiques and comments.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  36. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lol, how am I supposed to critic that? Its beautiful.

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

absolutly amazing! I aspire to be like that! I cant get over how much time and effort this must of taken! beautiful!

38. RGKD

RGKD

Subscribed to the thread so please keep the updates coming. Your work is really good quality and you seem professional so don't sell yourself short.

Pricing is always tricky, the way you plan to sell (through asset packs) has it's pro's and con's like everything else. Its good because you can get your work out there and in the eyes of a lot of people, though bad because a lot of people will be cheap and unappreciative so anything besides free is too much. Good your targeting reusable elements to appeal to a wide audience but again this is bad as anyone using your packs will all have similar looking games, its the con of non custom work and a trade off most I think feel is still worthwhile.

If I had something ready for someone of your talent at the moment I'd approach you with an offer but because I don't I'll keep up with your developments and wish you the best of luck! ^^

39. Sollthar

Sollthar

This truly looks really moody and beautiful! Keep up the good work!

40. p6r

p6r

Simply PERFECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm working on Cartoon render sand so on for all my 2D and 3D stuff (you can see here http://cartoon6r.free.fr) and it's exactly what we need for Cartoon style effects in Unity ! Congratulations...
    Here a toonsky I made to apply on a plane behind your house because this gray color makes me sad ! ;)

6R

41. sunset

sunset

Does that mean, if we cut the examples you post here we can use them freely? ^^ With your name in the credits of course.
    So if not, where can i get it?

What software did you use for painting?

42. Origin

Origin

@Robert-Glen Thank you, I appreciate your input. I have been thinking about what you are talking about since I began with this project. I know that these sort of textures may be a hard sell, but I am hoping that at least a few people/indie teams can find them useful.

I am also doing these for myself, personal enjoyment, portfolio, and experiance.

@p6r Thank you, I may just use that as a place holder. I had certainly planned to do a sky texture eventually, perhaps something a bit whimsical, if it looks as good in practice as it does in my head. :)

@sunset I would appreciate it if you didn't. The versions displayed in the thread are cut off by the black boarders, and have a halo around the edges, would take a bit of work to get them tilable again.

I will be submitting them to the asset store, and possibly the3dstudio soon.

I painted them in Photoshop with a wacom tablet.

43. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

*poops himself*

moar please.

44. sunset

sunset

Ok ^^
    That wasnt, meant realy serius.
    So now i have to wait until you upload it

45. pakfront

pakfront

Lovely! Makes me want to completely switch the theme of my current project just so I can use those textures.

It would be a plus if you also offered a pack in the same theme that had Detail textures for terrain that matched your painted textures. Grass specifically.

46. mikesgames

mikesgames

tutorial. now.

47. Origin

Origin

@pakfront I have only a couple (2 or 3) more textures to do for the first pack, and I plain to include normal and hight maps. The first set should be ready to go within a couple days, and hopefully accessible within the following days.

If you want to re-do your game in this style I would be more then happy to work with you to make that happen, for a small fee. ;)

@mikesgames I am a bit unsure what you mean when you mention "tutorial." Tutorial for hand painting textures? If you are asking for a hand painted texture tutorial I am probably not the best person to ask, however I can offer some advice/tips, perhaps.

To start with, you should learn the basic tools and functions of your app of choice (Photoshop, The Gimp), and how to use them. Learn how to make your own brushes and design/edit them to do what you want them to do. Then simply look at real world reference (photographs) and try to duplicate key features in your work.

Try searching around the web for how to create your own custom brushes (Youtube is a good place to start). Knowing this can improve your work rather significantly, it did for me at least. I can send you my custom Photoshop brushes for you to have a look at, and use, if you like?

Update/release soon, next couple of days. I will also continue to use this thread for future work relative to this theme/series.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  48. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I would check out the Photoshop plugin nDO....it's free and would definitely help you get some great normals from these hand painted textures. Kind of reminds me of a more cartoony version of the textures seen in Borderlands....

49. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

Mmmm.

I would love to see a little tutorial. Or just some work-in-progress screenshots with comments onto what your doing/thinking through the various steps.

50. Serge

Serge

Yep, screenshots would be nice, to get basic idea how to start :)