Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3.2 is Available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Joe-Robins, Feb 10, 2011.

1. immFX

immFX

Thank you!!!
    It was driving me nuts!

2. U2

U2

Thank you very much for sharing.. Hopefully there will be an official fix soon but the in the meantime this is very helpful.

3. Maroy

Maroy

Looks like the Object Selector window broke somehow when they added the builtins:
    Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. UnityEditor.ObjectSelector.OnDisable () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/f724c1acfee760b6/Editor/Mono/ObjectSelector.cs:138)
    And another one complaining about ObjectSelector.Show when I actually try to open the window, which I haven't been able to copy thanks to Unity crashing a second later.
    I've tried re-installing Unity, rebooting my PC, cleaning out my registry... nothing will make it go away. It may be a problem with 64-bit Windows 7, because I didn't get the error until I installed that 'hotfix' Unity recommended. I've reported it using the crash reporter, but it seems like I'm the only one getting the error.

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

I have not run across this "yet" but that hotfix, once installed, there is no going back

5. immFX

immFX

Water3 again: did you notice that the transition between over-water and underwater is not right when the sea is anything but calm (i.e. perfect flat)? That's because the underwater effect is always enabled at water y.

My proposed fix is to enable the underwater effect at the time the camera is at Water Height offset.
    To do that, replace the following code at Water3.cs (line 82):
    Code (csharp):
    2.     public bool IsUnderwater(Camera cam) {
    3.         return cam.transform.position.y + m_UnderwaterCheckOffset < transform.position.y ? true : false;   
    4.     }
    with this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     public bool IsUnderwater(Camera cam) {
    3.         Vector3 seaSurface = GetHeightOffsetAt(cam.transform.position);
    4.         return cam.transform.position.y + m_UnderwaterCheckOffset < seaSurface.y ? true : false;   
    5.     }

6. Zyxil

Zyxil

7. zumwalt

zumwalt

*shrugs* The version of the pack that I got enabled the pack for all applications, no more Unity warnings, etc, no need to edit registery either, so I guess the development of the pack goes through itterations based on user feedback. But the version I have also replaced .Net library files, and it was from the Microsoft link that Microsoft emailed me. I really hate applying any hot fix packs unless it is critical for me to do so, in my entire life of using Microsoft Windows any version, I have never had a tool or game that required me to apply a specific patch to use the tool or game. Mostly because all companies develop their programs to avoid having to use patches that have unknown effects on PC's OS's because those patches usually are OS/CPU specific, x86,x64 / OS sensitive and never have I heard of people across the board installing them without a lot of hassle.

8. U2

U2

Ok I have these 2 problems with the new Water3 and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. In order to hopefully get some helpful input I have made a simple test project package to illustrate the problems..

Make a new project without any standard assets etc.. completely clean. Then import this package.

One of them uses the Unity water3 example, the other is exactly the same except the mesh in the filter and collider have been replaced with the built in Unity plane mesh.

Problem #1:
    First check out the Unity default one and you will see a cube named projectile fall onto the water.. This cube is not effected by the Unity mesh. The collider is not updated by the mesh changes. This is very unhelpful for things like canon balls/players etc making splashes etc.. when hitting the water.

Problem #2:
    Not a problem in using the default unity circular water plane. Use awsd to control a cube named boat and it floats along nicely on the water mesh. (I should note that I have implemented the above fix to the mesh displacement mentioned earlier in this thread)

Ok if you load the Custom scene which uses the plane instead of the circular disk mesh you will see problem #1 is still a problem and now problem #2 acts weird. Basically when you control the boat around it acts like it is not attached to the water anymore and it will even bounce etc.. What the heck?

Ideally both of these problems would be fixed in the custom scene. If anyone would please look at this I'd really appreciate it. It's driving me insane.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I looked at both scenes and what I'm seeing is that you've attached the buoyancy script to one cube but not the other. The cube that has the buoyancy script attached is moving up and down driven by the transform code in the script. The other cube stops when it hits the mesh collider. A mesh collider is a -static- collider unless you click the "convex" flag, at which point it can be used dynamically. But if a mesh collider is convex it can only have up to 200 polys (if memory serves me correctly). So what I'm seeing in your two scenes are what I would expect.

If you want to simulate an object falling from the sky and "bobbing" when it hits the water, you'll have to do it through script. There are a couple good buoyancy scripts in other threads here on the forums (and one for sale in the Asset Store). Any of these can be used to simulate what I think you're looking for.

10. U2

U2

In order to see the difference between buoyancy issues you have to move around wasd controls. Otherwise it looks identical. This issue is the same with all the buoyancy solutions available on the forums and I'd have to assume the store too. It doesn't have to do with the buoyancy script as much as how the new water returns data depending on if you use the mesh they provide or your own. Unless my ship control script is messing it up with the translate + the inputs by the buoyancy script?

Thanks for the info on the convex. That's new to me and has me experimenting again, I appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

We're kind of off topic here (perhaps a new thread would be appropriate?). The only other issue I saw was that the boat "stuttered" when being moved sometimes. I suspect that is caused by the fact that you have two separate scripts translating the box's transform, the buoyancy script and the ship movement script. It would be better if you combined the two and only had one translate per frame.

12. Maroy

Maroy

Well, I can now confirm that the hotfix is not the cause of the ObjectSelector error. I remembered that Windows Update always makes a restore point right before applying a hotfix, so my computer's back to normal... but the error remains.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

FWIW Service Pack 1 is available for Windows 7. I'm in the process of installing it right now.

14. Fishypants

Fishypants

Could someone elaborate on the new Caching feature? Is this where you can specify a download location on someones machine, outside of the web browser cache folder to download and store assets? I hope this is the case . . . I would upgrade to Unity 3.2 right now. Like, for reals.

15. geothefaust

geothefaust

I jumped on here to talk about the .LXO support (or lack of). Any chance of this happening? I read that it was a go, but after testing I found it does not work, instead one must use the less than stellar .FBX format.

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

@Fishypants
    Nope, there is still no way in hell people are going to get access to the user file system structure from a webplayer ;)

However, if you just want to present people with a download file dialog, you can do this via a hidden frame, a javascript and a server-side script.

17. KEMBL

KEMBL

Hello, jmpp, and all other!

>> 3.2 allows work with several projects in one time! This is good thing! Thx!
    > It does? I just upgraded and didn't see that feature.

Yes! And 3.3 too! I am on Windows 7 x64, and told about Windows version!

1) Go to Edit / Preferences...
    2) Check "Show Project wizard on startup"
    3) Start new Unity and select other.

Very nice improvement, especially for working with several monitors.

2 AngryAnt

>Nope, there is still no way in hell people are going to get access to the user file system structure
    >from a webplayer

Not in all cases, after dozen minutes of playing on FusionFall ( http://fusionfall.cartoonnetwork.com ). I was found webcache catalog in c:\Users\KEMBL\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer with dozens FusionFall files (something about 500Mb).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  18. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

/facepalm

Wow.. seriously, how the hell did I miss that, I've still been switching back and forth like normal for ages, lmao.

*goes back to read release notes to see what else he went and missed*

19. jmpp

jmpp

Hi KEMBL!

Thanks for that pointer, but unfortunately that's not what I was looking for (my bad for not explaining myself correctly). What you explain basically does the same that I wrote in my original post about launching another Unity instance from the Mac Terminal, with the the project wizard asking you what other project you want to open (or passing the -projectPath argument directly to the Unity executable, which I did not remember at the time of posting). All in all, you end up with more than one Unity instance running on your box. What I thought was added was the ability to open more than one project from a single Unity editor instance, with say one editor window per project, pretty much like you can open more than one Xcode project or Visual Studio project in their corresponding IDE apps (or at least like I think you can in Visual Studio). Think of it as an "Open Project..." option in the File menu, which wouldn't close the currently open project.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty comfortable with the Mac Terminal so I can easily run two or more Unity instances should the need arise, but it'd still be nice to be able to do what I describe.

Regards,

- jmpp