Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Androids that work with Unity Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wozik, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Wozik

Wozik

Friends, it's time to do some crowdsourcing.
    You know that here at Unity we test and buy lots of Android devices to ensure Unity Android works properly on. However some devices are specific for certain countries, markets, operators, etc. So sometimes we're unable to get them, and I am asking for your input here.

Please look through the list below and add the missing devices you're sure Unity Android works on.
    ARMv7 devices
    • Google Nexus One, OS 2.1 and newer
    • Google Nexus S, OS 2.3 and newer
    • Motorola Droid, OS 2.1 and newer
    • Motorola Droid X, OS 2.1 and newer
    • Motorola Droid 2
    • Motorola XT701 OS 2.1
    • Motorola Xoom OS 3.0
    • Motorola Defy
    • HTC EVO 4G, OS 2.1 and newer
    • HTC Droid Incredible, OS 2.1 and newer
    • HTC Desire HD, OS 2.2 and newer
    • HTC Desire Z (T-Mobile G2), OS 2.2 and newer
    • HTC Desire, OS 2.1 and newer
    • HTC Inspire 4G OS 2.2
    • HTC Vision, OS 2.2
    • HTC EVO 3D
    • SE X10, OS 2.1 and newer
    • SE Xperia Play, OS 2.3
    • Samsung Galaxy S, OS 2.2 and newer
    • Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate), OS 2.1
    • Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate), OS 2.1
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab, OS 2.2
    • Samsung Galaxy S2, OS 2.3.3
    • Samsung Epic 4G
    • LG Optimus 2X (T-mobile G2x), OS 2.2
    • Viewsonic gTablet
    • Archos 70 Internet Tablet
    • Archos 43 Internet Tablet
    • Archos 32 Internet Tablet
    • Archos 101 Internet Tablet
    • Nook Color
    • NEC MEDIAS N-04C

ARMv6 Devices
    • LG Optimus V (virgin mobile)
    • Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade
    • SE X10 mini
    • Samsung Galaxy 580
    • HTC MyTouch 3G Slide, OS 2.1

John3D and Gilldun like this.
  2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Regular HTC Desire, OS 2.2 and newer works too, I would assume even OS 2.1 and newer as it is hardware wise equal to the HTC Desire HD (-> ahead of Desire Z)

3. legion

legion

HTC Desires hardware is not the same as HD to my knowledge, if that was the case our game wouldn't lag on Desire and run smoothly on HD.
    It does work though.

4. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

That is true, but the regular Desire is nearly identical to the Nexus One, so it should be in the list.

5. legion

legion

yep it should, unity works on it :)
    Will be very interesting to see what the optimization on 3.2 does to our 2d games performance.

6. defjr

defjr

Unity Android will run on Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate) running 2.1

7. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Motorola XT701 OS 2.1 works~

8. Wozik

Wozik

earl, are you sure about Fascinate and 2.1 OS? There have been a bug in this OS version on Galaxy S family that prevented Unity to work.

and thanks all, the list updated

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

Interesting to know.
    Technically all 3 Desires though are the same gpu and cpu.
    The deltas from regular Desire are only:
    Desire HD: 768MB ram instead of 512MB
    Desire Z: 800mhz cpu instead of 1Ghz

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  10. Wozik

Wozik

dreamora, let me disagree. Desire Z is QC 72xx family, and Desire HD is a Snapdragon thing. Moreover Desire Z offers more horsepower that Desire HD, accordingly to synthetic benchmarks.

Google Nexus One is a Snapdragon thing as well, tho. But I'd double check the spec sheets before putting the == sign.

11. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

pretty sure unity 3.0 f5 works on xt701 with os2.1,

but today when i update to 3.2,it crashed every time.....

i found there is something wrong with new imageffect,if i delete them form my camera,they works again.

12. defjr

defjr

Yes, the Fascinate on Verizon still hasn't received the Froyo update and I definitely run Unity Android apps on it. :)

13. gambit

gambit

I have a HTC EVO and everything is working fine here.

14. Curious

Curious

Desire Z, works nicely :D
    I've implemented multi-touch and OpenFeint, etc. no problems so far
    Thanks for the list, it's very useful :)

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

Would be nice if it were a QSD, then I were right ;)
    But you are right, it uses a second gen Snapdragon, the MSM7230, a clocked down version of what the HTC Desire uses (MSM8255), both a generation newer than the QSD8250 in the HTC Desire.
    Seems that this gives the Z a boost over the old HTC Desire of 20%, while the HD is a good 50% faster.
    Naturally the GPU boost is much higher with Adreno 205 over Adreno 200.

None the less games like Dogfight Lite still run at a mostly near fluid framerate so still fast enough if games are opted (sims 3 is fully fluid for example).

As for Snapdragon: All these processors from Qualcomm since the QSD series are snapdragons, including the upcomming dualcores :)
    So it won't get any simpler if people use Snapdragon instead of mentioning the explicit series

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. DanTreble

DanTreble

Also confirmed working on
    • Motorola Defy
    • Viewsonic gTablet
    • Archos 70 Internet Tablet

17. Wozik

Wozik

DTreble, those all are ARMv7 things, right? And could you please remember the OS version may be?
    thanks

18. stevets

stevets

Unity 3.2 appears to run on Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) OS 2.1

It also works with the remote.

I am testing it with a very simple FPS(mobile) prefab.

19. DanTreble

DanTreble

Yes all v7. Unfortunately I don't know about os versions, users just emailed to say they worked.

20. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

You should change the ZEUS to the Xperia Play now, since it is officially announced.
    And Unity works just great on it:

21. DanTreble

DanTreble

What you could do, is release a Unity Citadels like demo on the market and have it report back device statistics like the web player does. That would be fantastic.

$25 for a market publisher account (and the cost of making the demo) problem solved!

Feels like it's about time for Unity to put their android stuff out there, it's ready right? (Just wait till you have to deal with the 1 star reviews from the Samsung crowd :p https://market.android.com/details?id=com.DefiantDev.RocketBunnies)

22. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

You should do that, I think Rocket Bunnies is the most popular Unity Android game and has the most installs.

By the way, you have one of the highest rated games, even with the very few 2.1 Galaxy S users there are over 277 german user reviews and nearly all of them 5 starred your game. On the first 5 pages no one had problems with the Galaxy, the only negative feedback is based on the ads and because some people don't like bunnies. ^^

23. DanTreble

DanTreble

We _could_ do that I guess. Crazy Snowboard is by far the most popular Unity Android game though /me points finger at EZone :)

What do you mean?! You must be looking at a different page to me, on the first page I see:

• 1 Star "Installed but would not run. Says firmware update needed but my epic 4G says firmware is up to date." by Jeff F– February 13, 2011
    • 1 Star "Jeff it happened to me too, but check the info on the game. I just looked, Samsung devices 2.2 to play this game." by Courtney– February 14, 2011
    • 1 Star "Won't load on Epic." by Kristin– February 15, 2011

Also, lets assume these other ones on the first page are Samsung GT-I9000 based

• 1 Star "Will not play" by Christopher– February 14, 2011
    • 1 Star "Doesn't work" by Inbum– February 12, 2011
    • 1 Star "It always force closes. Its fun when it works but is mainly just annoying!" by Emily– February 12, 2011

That's 6/10 comments :-/

24. stevets

stevets

HTC Inspire 4G OS 2.2 works too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  25. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Yes, you only see the comments in the market from your country and the european Galaxy S is running 2.2 without any problems, only the US versions suck.

And I am pretty sure Rocket bunnies is more popular here in Germany, but let's just look at the market, transparency ftw! ;)

Crazy Snowboard: 6,392 ratings, 106 in Germany, 1-5 mio installs
    Rocket Bunnies: 6,625 ratings, 798 in Germany, 500000-1mio

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  26. Wozik

Wozik

DTreble, I understand your frustration, but the only response we got from Samsung guys was - fixed in 2.2
    And we could not fix their 2.1 OS bug on our side without sever performance reductions.

And we also prefer the device feedback from the developers rather than users =) So please share your experience.

27. DanTreble

DanTreble

Sorry Wozik, we love Unity and especially Unity Android, it is an awesome product and responsible for a large part of our success.

We totally understand it is Samsung's problem. Our users blame us and we are guilty of putting pressure on anyone we can to try and find a solution or a workaround. If we had a contact at Samsung, I'd be turning all the screws I could!

Device filtering on the market would be nice. I'd imagine at least API filtering is coming to support honeycomb.

The great news is this problem will be history very soon, the life cycle of these devices is so short.

Now I didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry.

So back to the topic, we hear it works great on the Dell Streak and Nook Color :)

28. agentsmith

agentsmith

Confirmed Viewsonic GTablet; however there are some modifications that need to happen in order to access the Android Market Place (you don't necessarily have to root your tab from what I read). Also Appbrain which seems to be the most used distro (?) from Wozik's Android Game List seems to have install related issues with the GTablet (if you got yours working please message me). I looked for hours and couldn't find a "test" unity created android game to try which really sucks I finally had to google every title in Wozik's list to find one that was free and that I could download the .apk file directly. It was an f-ing pain. For anyone that gets any android device and needs a free unity android game to try/test with, I recommend "Crazy Snowboard." Not only is it free but you can find lots of sites hosting the apk.

If I get any updates I'll post again...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  29. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I just bought an LG Optimus V (virgin mobile) and it appears to run unity games fine, so, that can be added to the list now.

Confirmed with Optathlon and Dogfight Light. Both ran fine. Not even laggy. ^__^ Pretty good for a $150 no contract phone.

30. Yashi

Yashi

I had the Archos 32 here and the Unity Support was so kind to give me a Unity Android Trail.

The Archos 32 supports Unity in all terms:
    - You can install the market, download and play Unity games from it (you just need to download and install some apk file)
    - You can run Unity Android apk's build with Unity 3.2
    - You can set the Archos 32 into developer mode which will allow you to use Unity's Build Run feature (special USB drivers are available on the Archos website)
    - Accelerometer and Touchscreen work great (please note that the Archos 28, 32 and 43 do not support multi touch)

So if you're looking for a cheap device for Unity Android development and don't need multi touch, the Archos 32 is a steal.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  31. ezone

ezone

Great idea - we'll look into tracking device info in the next update we do. We also came across these stats from AppBrain, but I think the device information is just what device downloaded the app, not if it ran successfully or not:

32. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

We tested our game on an Archos 101 tablet and it works. It runs really slow though. We're still trying to figure things out.

33. AaronC

AaronC

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  34. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Picked up LG optimus V today and it is working great. Just switched my game to android hit build and run.... No setback at all!

Just so folks know, virgin mobile LG optimus V is only 149.99 just about anywhere. Target, Radio shack, etc...

On the low end but, it's great for testing so far and has "official" market access unlike some of the tiny tablets(archos, etc) . Although some of those may perform better, I just wanted an official droid phone an average consumer may have in their hands.

35. Wozik

Wozik

Updated the list. I tied to put only 100% confirmed devices. Please reply if I missed something you're sure is working.

I also have a bag of new devices I am to try soon and contribute to the list

36. Jeff1N

Jeff1N

any chance for unity to run in a htc magic?

37. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

The only issue is people have to build with the ARM6 VFP build instead of ARM7. It seems most people aren't building for arm6 due to the fact that it will show up in the market for unsupported phones. Example, Crazy Snowboard won't work because it's compiled for Arm7, even if the phone would work with it. The ironic part is, all arm7 devices can run the arm6 version. I say simply release a lite version or demo for people to see if it works before they buy it. Then again... people do tend to be idiots and not read at all.

But yeah, right now only half of the released unity games or less actually work on the optimus v. (I already posted my results a while ago. Good phone though.)

38. BogdanDude

BogdanDude

Hi!

I tested Guerrilla Bob on a LG Optimus One P500, with Android 2.2 and it didn't work.
    There were really weird graphical glitches in the main menu, and once the main gameplay scene loaded, the game crashed and exited.
    I'm pretty sure it's not because it uses too much video/RAM memory, as the phone has about 250MB free, and the game only takes about 50MB. It was also really slow.

Wozik, do you think you could post a separate list with 'Unsupported devices'?

And is there a way to add some filters for the Android Market, so those users with unsupported devices won't be able to download the game?

39. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I can't even find it anywhere to try on the Optimus V

40. Wozik

Wozik

If we believe internets, LG Optimus One P500 is based on Qualcomm MSM7227 that features ARM1136EJ-S core. And that core lacks any floating point or vector units. So Unity should not work.

And the list of unsupported devices does not make any sence to me at this point. It's like we can make it huge with stating that Nokia 1100 is not supported, but we also don't say we support it. Same for this LG phone.

Also keep in mind tha Android Marketplace does not actually filter out the unsupported apps built for ARMv6+VFP.

from the manual:

41. veltor

veltor

Does anyone tried to use HTC Wildfire A3333 with Qualcomm MSM7225 (ARMv6) with unity android?

42. DanTreble

DanTreble

Well there you go...

Attached Files:

43. Yashi

Yashi

Hey guys,

another cheap Andoid development tablet is the Nook Color. Bought mine for $199.

The Nook Color is an android powered ebook reader and there is a huge modding community out there which is providing roms and rooting tools.

I'm currently running phiremod 4.1 which turns the Android 2.1 based Nook into a 2.3 one with market support.

The Nook Color (with custom rom) supports Unity in all terms:
    - You can download and play Unity games from the market
    - You can run Unity Android apk's build with Unity 3.2+
    - You can set the Nook Color into developer mode which will allow you to use Unity's Build Run feature
    - Accelerometer and Touchscreen (including 2 finger multi touch) work great

My one and only concern about this device is the 800 MHz CPU which has to push graphics to a 1024x600 screen. So the CPU speed / pixel amount ratio is rather bad.

Enjoy!

44. Ricks

Ricks

Does anyone know if Unity works on Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830) ? It's Armv6, I think, but since even the very old Samsung 580 works, there is a chance it might work too.

45. Wozik

Wozik

well, if internets are right, then Ace is based on MSM7227 that lacks VPU == cannot run Unity apps

46. ddesmond

ddesmond

The Archos 43 Internet Tablet works fine

47. Darknuke

Darknuke

the HTC MyTouch 3G Slide (Android 2.1 Arm 6) works 100% with Unity. Been using it for a while now.

48. Darknuke

Darknuke

I couldn't get the Samsung Transform to work with Unity if anyone cares ;).

49. trancerobot

trancerobot

Nook Color owner here. Confirmed!

50. Wozik

Wozik

We have a modded Nook Color as well in Unity office, as it is so popular. I like the device. You get much more than what you pay.

Oleg