Search Unity

How do I make a scene tileable?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SirTimmyTimbit, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SirTimmyTimbit

SirTimmyTimbit

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to create a city in Unity. I don't want to spend a lot of time on the prototype.

I was wondering if there is a way to assemble a tileable chunk of the city and repeat the opposite edge on the fly if the player approaches an edge. The tileable part would probably be a few city blocks long and wide. This is just to give the player a sense of a never ending city without building one.

I've searched around Unity Answers and LoadLevelAdditive() seems like what I am looking for. Do I just load the scene and as the player reaches one edge of it load the same scene again adjacent to current scene? How would I position it?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

I'd think it would make more sense to create an NxN grid of your tileable area, and then as the player moved, 'teleport' a row/column to the opposite side of the grid. (This is assuming of course that you have fog or something in place so that the transition isn't noticeable.)

3. SirTimmyTimbit

SirTimmyTimbit

Thank you very much for your reply. I have never used the tile editor before but I assume I can use my models (street lights, houses, shops) with it?

4. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

What tile editor are you referring to?