Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Prime31 Tapjoy, AdMob and AdWhirl Plugins now available!

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by prime31, Feb 3, 2011.

1. prime31

prime31

@danny, as it turns out my demo account was already setup for 50/50 AdMob/iAd. I was able to reproduce and after some digging in the debugger pinpointed the issue to the value AdWhirl is returning as the banner size. They appear to get confused and return the wrong size. I pushed an update that helps a bit but there is still the underlying issue of the wrong size being reported that the AdWhirl crew will need to remedy.

2. cledin

cledin

When will the Adwhirl plugin work with the new MMSDK (4.5.3)? I am trying to run video ads with them and the old sdk (4.2.5 which works with your adwhirl plugin) doesn't work with all possible ads :(. Not sure how different / how much work it would take, just asking . Thanks in advance.

3. prime31

prime31

@Cledin, most likely the AdWhirl crew won't be focussing on something as specific as one as type from one vendor. They kind of have to target the least common denominator in order to be able to support so many ad networks.

4. dannyskim

dannyskim

Well, double edged sword. Glad I'm not going crazy, but that seems to be a glaring oversight. I appreciate your awesome customer support as always! I guess for now until the bug is completely fixed, i'll have to choose either ad network and stick to it until it's fully flushed out.

I take it you e-mailed them an issue already? Is it possible you can post here or push out another update when it is fixed? I know it has absolutely nothing to do with your code, so if this is possibly too much trouble for you, a way to track it myself would be nice.

At this rate, I'm gonna own all your plug-ins. Think I'm at 8 and counting, and that's not including the UIToolkit, lol.

5. prime31

prime31

@danny, I have to make a non-Unity test project tomorrow to send over to AdWhirl. I might have a present for you in a little bit though. I've been working on some workaround and I might have something. Try downloading the update that goes out in 5 minutes.

6. dannyskim

dannyskim

<3 I'll try it out when I get to my office tomorrow, don't have my work mbpro with me. I'll let you know how things go! Much appreciated. I evangelize your products whenever possible, and I'll continue to do so!

7. dannyskim

dannyskim

Looks great so far

8. dannyskim

dannyskim

So, I'm still a bit confused on the placement of ads. From my experience with working with the plug-in, it seems like it DOES take screen values for createBanner placements. Take for example, the iPad needs about a value of 960 for the yPos for a banner ad to be placed near the bottom out of 1024 pixels.

The reason I'm concerned with this is because banner sizes and sources aren't exposed by the plug-in and I'm assuming by AdWhirl as well, so when an AdMob replaces an iAd banner, there is a slight space at the bottom of the banner between the bottom of the screen due to banner height differences.

Update: looking through the iAds documentation, I see that only test Ads are supported for non-release builds. I think this is pretty ignorant on Apple's side. I understand that recording impressions on your own apps is considered fraudulent, but the only test ads that I get from apple are full screen width ads, and I know most iAds aren't like this. I have no idea how ads are going to be placed until launch, which is incredibly irresponsible on their part.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. prime31

prime31

@danny, the size I mentioned was for all non iPad devices. The iPad is of course 1024x768 points which just happens to match pixel size now but won't when the iPad 3 comes out (assuming it is retina). iAds only come in two fixed sizes, both full width (one landscape and one portrait). Trying to display tiny AdMob and normal sized AdMob banners is one of those things that will be tricky to get perfect. It's almost as if having a 0,0 anchor is the only really clean way to pull it off if your game can handle that location. Otherwise going with only one network could be an option as you will then always know the size.

10. dannyskim

dannyskim

I figured that was the case, which is why I had to ask anyway just to be absolutely sure. When I have sometime down the line I may look into it myself once I learn some Objective-C. Being a spoiled brat writing everything in c#, even iOS applications using MonoTouch's stack has made my learning stagnant.

I know AdWhirl itself exposes the capability to resize on the fly, so it may be a project for me down the line. For the meantime I'll probably just deal with the few pixel space at the bottom as the ( 0, 0 ) spot is taken up by my game space.

11. J_P_

J_P_

If I have iAds in my iOS game (through AdWhirl), before the update is live should I be seeing "Test Advertisement" or should I be seeing live ads? setTestMode is set to false.

edit: also, after I updated the AdWhirl plugin, it changed my landscape orientation. Any idea what would have caused that?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. prime31

prime31

@JTown, switching from a Debug build to a Release build will make iAds come from the production server. I am not sure what you mean by "changed my landscape orientation". The plugin will never change the orientation of your game under any circumstance.

13. J_P_

J_P_

*shrug* I updated AdWhirl plugin and now it forces Landscape Right even though in Unity and XCode I have it set to Landscape Left only. I'll figure it out later. It's an older app so there might be some code that I forgot about.

14. tareq1310

tareq1310

hello Prime, today I bought your Adwhirl plugin for iOS. Few quick questions-
    1. Can I implement Adwhirl custom event using your plugin?
    2. In one of our game, I used your native toolkit plugin and was able to integrate Adwhirl in the screens other than the main game screen (developed in unity). Now I bought your adwhirl plugin to show ads in main game screen also. My project already contains several vendor SDKs added in generated xcode project. I see your imported package contains necessary SDK folders under Editor. So do I need to remove those existing SDKs from the Editor?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  15. prime31

prime31

@tareq, to answer your questions:

1. For custom events you would have to modify the source of the plugin to implement them

2. You will want to remove those SDKS and then any that you want to use make sure you enable them using the menu item. Some SDKs are not included with the plugin and must be downloaded from the vendors website.

16. cledin

cledin

//1. For custom events you would have to modify the source of the plugin to implement them

Where in the source do we add the function that a custom event will call?

17. prime31

prime31

@Cledin, the AdWhirlManager is delegate and is the file that would need to be modified.

18. zero

zero

Hello prime,
    I am using the AdWhirl_2012-03-13.unitypackage, my app is enabled iAd and AdMob in AdWhirl Website.
    But, the following error occurs.

> Ad network type 1 not supported, no adapter found

My project have libGoogleAdMobAds.a, but Do I need something other?

In addition, iAd will be displayed.
    My best regards.

19. prime31

prime31

@zero, have a look at the documentation for the plugin here. The first paragraph tells you how to add an ad network.

20. zero

zero

Hi prime,
    It works! Thank you for your quick reply.

21. giza

giza

I've just bought the AdWhirl plugin. For some reason the AdMob Library doesn't import into Xcode. I have to add it manually after every build. Is there any way to fix this?

22. prime31

prime31

@giza, I cant seem to reproduce the issue you are seeing. Can you try downloading the unitypackage again and doing a Build followed by Replace just to make sure all the file permissions/flags are correct?

23. giza

giza

Ok, I'll do that. It's strange because it works fine when the library is added manually and then it's there with every consecutive build of the same scene after that!

24. giza

giza

@prime31, I've downloaded and re-installed the unitypackage. It appears to be only the AdMob library that is causing a problem. I've tested Greystripe and JumpTap and they both appear in the Xcode project navigator when I build with them enabled. It's only AdMob that doesn't appear automatically. The plugin provides popup integration confirmations for AdWhirl, AdWhirlGreystripe and AdWhirlJumpTap but not for AdWhirlAdMob.

25. prime31

prime31

@giza, can you send over the logs of a build (open Console.app, select "All Messages" and filter for "prime31")?

26. giza

giza

@Prime31, thanks, here is the console log!

Attached Files:

27. prime31

prime31

@giza, it looks to me like you havent enabled it. The PostprocessBuildPlayer_AdWhirlAdMob is set to disabled. If you enable it then the files will get automatically copied.

28. giza

giza

@Prime31, I checked and it's enabled in the editor. See the attached screenshot. Is there another place where I should enable it?

Attached Files:

29. prime31

prime31

@giza, make sure the associated file is executable. It could be that the permissions of the file didn't copy over.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  30. giza

giza

Sorry, I don't follow, what is the "associates file"?

31. prime31

prime31

@giza, it was supposed to be "associated". Darn autocorrect. Every item in the AdWhirl menu has an associated PostprocessbuildPlayer with a Suffix matching the menu item name.

32. Tapgames

Tapgames

Awesome Admob pakkage!

One question, I now have the add on the bottom of my iPad2 but it's iphone size ad. Will it show a full size 768 banner when there is a ipad banner to show?

Roy

33. prime31

prime31

@roy, As long as you are passing in an AdMobBannerType that is tablet sized when calling createBanner you should be getting some tablet sized test banners.

34. Tapgames

Tapgames

Hi Prime,

I'm reading that it is beter to use iAd first and fallback to admob when iAds doesn't have an ad to show.
    Is that what adwirhl automatically does? Or do I have to get your iAd plugin and let iAd and Admob communicate together?

Roy

35. prime31

prime31

@darkness, I believe AdWhirl let's you adding priorities to ad networks but to be certain I would recommend checking out their website to get the details I what they do.

36. adam718

adam718

Hi! prime32.

Does UIToolkit support BMFont Multiple textures?

For the fist I used 4096*4096 texture for asian font.
    But in Android tab, device doesn't support 4096*4096 texture.

$SC20120405-005312.jpg

So I want to use multiple textures for an asian font.

Could you help me with my problem?

Thank you,
    Best Regards,
    Adam.

37. prime31

prime31

38. SteveJ

SteveJ

Having some problems with the AdWhirl plugin. I've just dragged the prefab in - done nothing through code etc. The AdMob ads sit perfectly in the top-center of the screen, but iAd ads are offset.

Is there a quick fix?

39. prime31

prime31

@geppeto, you may want to forego the prefab and just create the banner yourself with an anchor of 0,0.

40. SteveJ

SteveJ

Is there any way to read back the banner size or type that was returned? Problem is, just creating it at 0, 0 works fine now for iAd, but AdMob - which are smaller - sit over to the left instead of the center.

41. prime31

prime31

@geppetto, the origin of the wrapper is always the same. Technically AdWhirl should be serving up landscape banners if you are in landscape but they do dump portrait banners in there sometimes I suppose so there is at least some kind of fill.

42. SteveJ

SteveJ

Is there some way that I'm supposed to tell AdWhirl that I'm running landscape? Or is that handled internally? It's obviously working for iAd, but every AdMob test is coming back 320 wide. I'm just using the following code at this point:

Code (csharp):
    2.     public string publisherId = "de512ed570bd4207bc07dac58729c280";
    4.     void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         AdWhirlBinding.init(publisherId);
    7.         AdWhirlBinding.createBanner(0, 0);
    8.     }

43. prime31

prime31

@gappetto, AdWhirl is pretty free form in the way they do things. They don't have much in the way of configuration. I believe their philosophy is to just get all the piles of ad networks tossed in there and then you have to modify their source a bit to deal with the side effects by modifying their code to handle the edge cases that come up due to just trying to get some kind of fill at all times. There isn't a good generic way to deal with it unfortunately.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  44. SteveJ

SteveJ

OK cool. Thanks heaps for the help :)

45. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi! we just go adWhirl and it's a very nice plugin! However, is there a way to get the ad size inside unity? (So for example smaller ads would display in the center, while larger ads at (0,0)?
    (I noticed this was displayed in the debug log when I was testing it on an iOS device(

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  46. EricD

EricD

Hi,

we have a universal iOS app that is in landscape. Will adwhirl support this orientation and universal configuration? Because on the adwhirl site you can only select iPhone, there is not mention about iPad.

edit: I just bought the iOS adwhirl package. Now I see that there is no android adwhirl package.. arrrggg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  47. prime31

prime31

@yuri, there is currently no way to get the ad size in Unity

@eric, AdWhirl has limited support for iPad. You will want to make sure to do some testing to be sure you get some ads. An AdWhirl Plugin is not possible without manually compiling via Eclipse and because of the difficulty we will not be releasing one.

48. SteveJ

SteveJ

This probably isn't something specific about the plugin, but hoping someone might have come across it and might have some advice.

I put the AdWhirl plugin into two apps that I'm making free. In both AdWhirl configs I set up AdMob and iAd.

In one app, everything is working fine - the AdMob summary page shows that the app is making requests, ads are displaying, etc.

In the other app, AdMob ads are never shown. The AdMob summary screen shows the red indicator and says "AdMob has never recieved an ad request for your site". I've tried setting the AdWhirl config to 100% AdMob ads. Still nothing.

I've checked EVERYTHING over and over again - both apps are set up in the same way, with the correct IDs etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

49. kays

kays

Dear Prime31,

Hello,

I'm looking for Tapjoy Plugin for Android to buy
    on your website ,though I can't find it.

Can I buy iOS version to handle both platforms ?

Thank you,

50. prime31

prime31

@kays, the Android Tapjoy Plugin is currently not available. We hope to restore it for sale in the near future.