Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo-style walls that become visible/hidden depending on the character's location

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by diablo, Feb 1, 2011.

1. diablo

diablo

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to create diablo-style walls that I can toggle transparency so that if a wall comes between the camera and the character the top half of the wall becomes transparent/hidden and if the character is in between the wall and the camera then the top half of the wall becomes fully opaque/visible.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

El Diablo

2. Chris-Sinclair

Chris-Sinclair

Best I can figure is to do a Physics.Raycast between the camera and the player. If the ray hits the wall instead of the player, you can then alter the wall's materials (or swap its visibility with a transparent one) accordingly. I'm sure someone will be able to provide more in-depth thoughts, and I'm 99.9% sure something like this has been discussed/implemented before somewhere.

3. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

You could do a linecast between the camera and the player. The result would be the first object that is in the way. Then apply some script to make the material's for the object transparent.

Code (csharp):
    2. var target : Transform;
    3. private var lastObject : Transform;
    4. function Update () {
    5. try{
    6. lastObject.renderer.material.color.a = 1;
    7. }catch(e){}
    8. var hit : RaycastHit;
    9. if (!Physics.Linecast (transform.position, target.position, hit)) {
    10. lastObject=hit.transform;
    11. lastObject.renderer.material.color.a = 0.2;
    12. }
    13. }

4. diablo

diablo

Oh that's interesting... I didn't think of doing a raycast/linecast! Although now I'm wondering how I'm going to make it so that only half the wall is hidden. I guess each wall would have to be made up of two wall sections, each with its own shader, which means I have to split each wall texture as well. Aaaaargh! Nothing is ever as simple as one would like, lol!

El Diablo

5. diablo

diablo

Oh wait a second... wouldn't a custom shader do the trick of partially hiding a wall?

6. grim2594

grim2594

I don't remember much about Diablo 2, but Diablo 3 uses multiple models to give that effect. A raycast can be drawn between the camera and the character. If the camera doesn't have a direct line of sight, it will tell the object in between (if it's a correct type of object) that it needs to fade out. Since the object is multiple meshes/objects it will fade out the part that's blocking the players view.

Hopefully you already figured this out, since it is such an old post. lol ;)

7. diablo

diablo

Yeah, Diablo III uses multiple models, but I was looking for an automated system. Theoretically it's possible through the use of a custom shader and a plane which will serve as the cutoff point, but I posted this way back when to see if anybody had any alternative ideas.

8. soulburner

soulburner

Try searching forum for "visibilty bubble" or something like that. I've seen such a topic before.

9. Stardog

Stardog

10. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

For those still looking for something along those lines, check See-Through System. It's shader-independent, so no custom shaders or materials required.