Search Unity

Santaland

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by polytropoi, Dec 5, 2007.

1. polytropoi

polytropoi

http://nilch.com/santaland

Help Santa decorate the tree! It's rigged w/ hinges and colliders, and the balls use joe's cool sticky grenade script.

"weapon" switching next, naughty/nice list, and maybe an elf/snowman battle.

2. Jessy

Jessy

Squishy!

What did you do? Connect the hinges/rigidbodies to bones?

3. taumel

taumel

Looks like this here...

Attached Files:

4. polytropoi

polytropoi

@jessy - yep, I love that trick of putting hinge joints and colliders on bones:

takes a bit to tweak the weight painting, joint and collider settings, avoid overlaps, etc...

@taumel - ouch, sorry - guess I need to optimize as usual...

5. drJones

drJones

nice - though i really wanted to decorate santa with the snowballs (he was looking at me funny ; )

6. Jessy

Jessy

Wow. You have just taught me the key to the Dead or Alive physics. Thank you for increasing my ability to get a job in games a thousand fold.

Check out the first 6 seconds of the video on the upper right, entitled "Waterslide", if you don't know what I am talking about.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/717/717325/vids_1.html

Both my girlfriend and I loved the first one, believe it or not. Volleyball and a couple other mini-games made great use of the pressure-sensitive button tech, which has gone highly unused, except for sports titles, and an obscure conducting game called Mad Maestro for the PS2. (Does Xtreme Beach Volleyball count as a sports game? Does it even count as a game? :roll: )

DOAX2 added "independent jiggle", whereas in the other DOA games, the two...colliders...were motion-linked. Team Ninja should take notes on your tree.

7. polytropoi

polytropoi

Okay then, try him now: http://nilch.com/santaland

umm, no problem. wish that worked on myself :)

8. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

I just want to say that I really like how the tree wiggles around. Do you feel like sharing the script :wink: .

Anyway, really nice job!

9. polytropoi

polytropoi

Well, it's not really a script but a technique: rig your model (I use Blender) with bones, with nice gradients on the weight painting so it deforms smoothly. Then import the model into Unity and put hinge joints on the bones. Then attach colliders to the hinged joints. Season to taste. You'll need to experiment on how to set the heirarchy (i.e. what rigidbody the joint connects to) and tweak the settings on the hinges (i.e. use springs or not, freeze rotation or not, limits, mass, etc..) to get the desired effect. It's like making a ragdoll manually. I did the same trick on Santa. I'll post a sample project when I get a chance.

10. Jessy

Jessy

I haven't gotten around to trying this yet, but it's #1 on my list of things to do right now. When you say "attach colliders to the hinged joints", you mean colliders on the bones that are connected by hinge joints, right? I didn't think that the joints themselves could have colliders applied, but perhaps I am wrong.

Also, what are the orange lines in a star shape in your picture above? I have not seen that kind of thing yet. I just started learning about rigging, and so have not yet imported anything with bones into Unity, but from what I can tell, the bones are invisible in your picture, because they ought to be existing between the colliders, but if that is the case, then what would the orange things be? Possibly, you have an empty object in the center of those, and the orange lines represent some sort of joints connecting the empty to the colliders, but I don't remember ever seeing visual indication of joints in the Scene View. I'm confused. Obviously.

11. polytropoi

polytropoi

@jessy - the orange lines are the hinge joints. And yes, I meant that you should attach colliders to the bones, and tweak their positions so the don't overlap. I'm travelling today, but I'll post a sample project tomorrow when I get home (no macbook yet :() and maybe a video howto.

12. Jessy

Jessy

I see now. The orange color is the default for the "Gizmo Joint Axes" under Unity's Preferences. I never saw this before, because in my playing with hinge joints, I had not yet used anything but an object's X, Y, or Z axis, which hid the orangeyness. Thanks a lot!

13. Jessy

Jessy