Search Unity

3rd Person Controller with C# Training 1st drop (3DBuzz)

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by acs_andrew, Feb 1, 2011.

1. acs_andrew

acs_andrew

The first drop of the 3DBuzz 3rd Person Controller vids (with C#) has just been made, the others will follow soon after. These are free.

I've just finished their Fundamentals course and I'm really looking forward to these so I thought I'd give a heads up as they will be worth it. :)

Like the Fundamentals videos they're available to download or stream.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showt...a-Custom-3rd-Person-Character-System-Drop-ONE

2. vmp

vmp

sweet, man you guys are on a roll

3. vmp

vmp

didn't seem to be any c# scripting in these, maybe there still to come

although what is in these vids is great

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. acs_andrew

acs_andrew

I believe so. If you read the intro the c# is definitely coming. This first drop appears to be optional but I'll watch them anyway. The idea of these courses is to be good enough to take on their MMO class (http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?170) which starts next week and as you can imagine that'll cover just about every technical hurdle you can think of. So these free videos are definitely going to get more advanced.

I've signed up to the MMO training because there'll be a lot I can take away from it for my job (networking etc).

5. Zak

Zak

There's a lot of scripting coming up in the remainder of this series. The camera/character system we cover includes extensive theory and C# scripting discussion, with all scripts created on camera. The final result is a camera that smoothly tumbles around the player, can zoom in and out, will avoid obstacles (such as walls and pillars) and always keeps the player in view and preventing character occlusion. It's a great deal more robust and more intuitive to use than the default 3rd person controller that is included with Unity.

As the project progresses, we'll be presenting it in 3 key stages. The first is to create a simple camera that tumbles around and follows the player. Next, we improve it to handle occlusion prevention, setting up how to make our camera automatically avoid obstacles. Finally, we show how to get a functioning character out of Maya and fully integrated into the system complete with custom animations.

This first drop is almost optional, and actually serves as a prelude to the 3 stages mentioned above. It really just introduces the system and then goes on to create the demo level that we'll be using throughout the videos. It is, however, a great way to catch up on a few topics if you skipped out on our Unity Fundamentals curriculum.

Look for further releases throughout the week, where we'll get into the theory and implementation of each of the systems for the camera and character system itself.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop me an email at zak@3dbuzz.com!

Thanks!

Zak Parrish
    3D Buzz, Inc.

6. darthgreg78

darthgreg78

wow! 3D Buzz is turning out to be the best place to find Unity training... And I love it.

7. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

This is like gold dropping from the sky :)

8. Nennig

Nennig

Thank you Zak! This is absolutly awesome. I can't believe that all this uber high quality training is delivered to us for FREE!

Thanks a million.

9. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

Thanks 3D Buzz for your very generous addition to the community. I have really enjoyed going through the videos.

Are you considering a fundamentals / medium / advanced course of C# using Unity in the future......that would be great. Similar maybe to the fundamentals videos you currently have.

Anyway thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011