Search Unity

Voxel Skinning

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tomnullpointer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. tomnullpointer

tomnullpointer

HI all,

Just thought I'd post up another demo of my continuing attempts to make generative work in Unity, this time its a procedurally generated noise cube that is then skinned with a poly mesh. You can adjust the solidity threshold and noise scaling in the webplayer. The only thing that might be flaky on some peoples computers is the texturing as Im uding a custom shader I wrote myself that maps the models based on world space maths rather than any UV info (rather hard to uv map a generative blob!).

Oh and you can zoom with W/S

Web Player here
    More info here if you are interested.
    More images here

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Unfortunately the links to the webplayer and info seem to be broken. Otherwise, it looks pretty cool!

3. jcarpay

jcarpay

Great stuff!

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The links are working now. Wow, that's pretty amazing stuff.

5. kor

kor

Very nice.
    Looking forward to see what you do with this.

6. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Awesome stuff!

I have been working on something similar on and off for a little while, but mostly polished the shaders at the moment. The voxelized skinning is still something which I am working on, based on Eric Lengyel's approach for his C4 engine, using the metaball script available here (marching cubes): http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=MetaBalls

It works nicely for the most part, but has some issues:
    1- It seems to keep the maximum possible number of triangles in memory even if they are unused.
    2- The balls' expansion is grossly exagerrated with each nearby point added, making a 3d grid of points useless until fixed.

(Left: large distance between points. Right: eight points are added close to the center point)

I'd be curious to see what you used for your own skinning.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011