Search Unity

Unity servers are being migrated

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by larus, Jan 31, 2011.

1. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

This is a notification that the unity servers, masterserver.unity3d.com etc, will be migrated to a new more capable server tomorrow. The DNS updates should push through within 30 minutes and hopefully this won't affect users. There is the chance that someone starting a server within that time window will not be visible to someone else as his DNS update hadn't pushed through. Same applies to attempted NAT punchthrough connections.

The new server is at IP 67.225.180.24. It fixes a problem with Unity 3.x connection detection being too pessimistic. This also affects Unity 2.x networking servers and they should be more stable from now on.

2. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Great, thanks for lettting us know!

3. KevS

KevS

Hi, yesterday i tried to start to work about Master Server and unfortunatly, even when my server was registered to the masterserver when i tried to retrieve a host list, it was ever empty. I thought my code was wrong but it's hard to miss something about a couple of code line (init server, register, then request a list ...)
    Then i saw your post .... i was probably unlucky and i decided to wait today to fix or not an error on my side :D

So i retry today, but it's still the same, my server seems to register to the masterserver but the host list is ever empty :(
    I noticed that the log says :
    Code (csharp):
    1. Connected to master server at 72.52.207.14:23466
    or
    Code (csharp):
    1. Connecting to connection tester at 72.52.207.14:10737
    2. UnityEngine.Network:TestConnection()
    or
    Code (csharp):
    1. Connected to facilitator at 72.52.207.14:50005
    but you say that the new IP is 67.225.180.24. So i assume that there is maybe something wrong with the IP ?

Do we have to update something in Unity ?
    Thanks

4. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

It should migrate (somewhere!) -today- according to Larus' post. You can wait for it to complete (pinging masterserver.unity3d.com should then return the right, new, IP).
    You can also hardcode the new IP in your Unity project for now. But you'd best remove it when the move is complete to allow for future host changes.

5. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

The DNS has now been updated and I see the new server is getting a flood of traffic. Some traffic still lingers on the old server, it might be because the IP was hard coded, but the server won't be taken offline anytime soon so it should be ok to use it for a while if people wish to do so.

I hadn't updated the DNS when you made your post so that is the previous servers IP you see there. Afaik there was nothing wrong with it so the culprit might be your code. Have your tried the network example project loader scene to see if it works there as expected?

6. KevS

KevS

I found the "bug" ^^ thanks to the Networking example. It' was a call of MasterServer.ClearHostList at the wrong place (every frame xD). But as many times, a solved problem brings a new one :) Locally, i can connect, but when i tried with a friend i had the "Unhandled message 67/70 from the Facilitor" error.

I saw that there is already a thread
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/61710-Unhandled-message-67-70-from-Network.Connect

I will try with others friends to see if it happens every time or if it depends of the connection configuration.

Thank you !

7. bakno

bakno

Hello Larus

I always get "ConnectionTesterStatus.Error" when trying to determine the NAT capabilities using Unity 3.

Do you have any clue on why may I be having this problem?

Thank you

8. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

In theory the error status should only be returned if there was some interruption to an ongoing test, like the tester connection being disconnected. Are there any clues in the log if you enable full network logging? Have you tested with the networking example project loader scene to see if there is something wrong with your code or if it something in the environment (or your connection tester if it is not the default Unity one)?

9. bakno

bakno

Hello Larus

Thank you for the tip about the full log. We were not using the correct ports. But still getting some difficulties.

This is the case: In other game made in 2.6 the network test and connectivity works fine using the previous server at 72.52.207.14. We are reusing the code on a new game made in 3.1 but we get the following message:

Connection tester failed to connect to 72.52.207.14:10735

After finding this thread we now use your new server IP address (67.225.180.24), and now we get the following result:

Conneciton test result: LimitedNATPunchthroughPortRestricted

The problem is that we are getting it on all the different four locations we have and we are not able to connect any of them.

I would assume this is a bad luck case, but it is not since our 2.6 game is able to connect all four locations without a problem.

On the new game, when we want to connect two remote locations the game times-out, however when we run two instances of the game on the same computer they get connected without timing out.

What could be wrong?

10. bakno

bakno

According to the documentation, new on Unity 3.0, the Network.Connect function can only connect to a NAT Punchthrough server using the GUID and not the IP address.

We are trying to get the server GUID using the MasterServer.RequestHostList and MasterServer.PollHostList functions but this list is always empty.

Is there a way to know the own GUID on the server side when it is connected?

11. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I would connect using the HostData entry of the masterserver, a bit easier and also allows NAT connecting.
    But thats not much help when your masterserver list is empty indeed.

There is NetworkPlayer.guid which you could give a try.

12. bakno

bakno

Thank you Leepo

Since we do not need to register our host, we were getting the empty list. But now we are registering it just to try that route. The NetworkPlayer.guid is retrieved using Network.player.guid. Doh! pretty simple.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. bakno

bakno

OK

Now using the GUID to connect the client to the server when the server uses NAT we receive the following error:

The connection request to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:23466 failed. Are you sure the server can be connected to?

This is the same error we received when previously not using the GUID on the NAT cases, the difference is that the previous error messages returned the right server IP address and now using the GUID it always returns a different IP address.

Pretty crazy stuff.

And the weirdest part is that our basic code used to work connecting two remote computers just two nights ago.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  14. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

This is the IP : port of the Unity 2.x connection tester which will not work with Unity 3.x. You can't directly reuse Unity 2.6 networking code without some modifications. Since the default port has changed for all the servers, the connection testing did change somewhat (different enums now) and NAT punchthrough changed as well with the requirement of using the GUIDs.

Thats the master server port, 23466, is your game server using the same port? I guess the connection scripts you are using could somehow be messed up. Again I'd suggest you try with the network example project to see if it works there, as that would suggest if the problem was in your code or not.

15. bakno

bakno

Thank you Larus.

The last time I tried the network example it was not for Unity 3.0. I will download it from the Unity site again and give it a try.

16. bakno

bakno

The first time I downloaded the sample project it was still the 2.0 version. But a few minutes later it was the 3.0 version. I don't know how it updated but thank you.

After looking at the new project I was able to find my error. I was calling the Network.Connect with the GUID and a Port. My fault for not reading the manual carefully.

Now my project works!

17. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

I´m having a problem with requesting host list players with unity master server. Is it a normal issue? How can i see the server´s current players? Please Larus, Leepo, bakno help me! This is giving me tons of trouble!

Hugs!

Edit: Ok Sry i just found this post but didnt get it, is it working, am i using it wrong? Please help!

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/60...ture-U3B7?highlight=HostData.connectedPlayers

Thx once again hugs!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  18. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Bumper please!

19. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Help? anyone? =(

20. bakno

bakno

Hello Vinícius

I did not replied your first request because I don't use such feature, sorry. Our player's list is handled separately by a few php scripts in our server. They are exclusively developed to handle two-person online games.

Andres

21. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus

Thx a lot Bakno! Unfortunatelly im really noobish in order to do such things. But thx its an awesome workaround for my problem! Once i up a couple of lvls ill try it!

Thx hugs! =)

22. Vinícius Sanctus

Vinícius Sanctus