Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Unity Networking project - Add multiplayer to your game today!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MikeHergaarden, Jan 25, 2011.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

2. Rush3fan

Rush3fan

Does this also cover lan games?

3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lan games work the same way so yes.

4. Sunrift

Sunrift

Will this work with a (very simple) Android project?

5. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Yes

6. gevarre

gevarre

"Jump" serialization in Tutorial 2A2 not working:

Hi, just bought the tutorial and I'd like to provide a bit of feedback to help improve it, if that's all right :)

In tutorial 2A2, the docs post the question "what if we want to move the cube in the Y-direction?", but the code for this in Tutorial_2A2.js is commented out, and you never actually mention the solution. Unfortunately, uncommenting this in both places in the OnSerializeNetworkView results in the following error:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/M2HNetworking/Tutorial 2/Tutorial_2A2.js(41,21): BCE0067: There is already a local variable with the name 'jumpBoolean'.
    From a tutorial standpoint, this is kind of confusing since you are introducing the new concept of serialization. I would assume one would define the jump variable outside the function and then check it's value and serialize it if it's true in the serialize sections, but since in the docs you also say, "The OnSerializeNetworkView fuction always looks as strange as this.", it seems to imply that maybe this is done differently here?

What's the correct way to make this work?

7. marjan

marjan

Hi, i just bought and ran this UUNP, read through the pdf and had a look at the sample scenes. Without even building and testing it so far i can already say that it already shed light on a lot of my questions. GREAT!

I am actually interested in more information concerning network games using physics and unfortunately this is not covered at all.

So maybe somebody can give me some hints, or the author is willing to create another demo scene ;).

As an example, though not very realistic but somewhat easy to set up imagine a multiplayer pinball game, where player one controls the left flipper (bumper, wing, excuse my english, i mean the thing that a pinball player usually controls with a left and right button) and player two the other one.
    Then of course there is the ball rigid body, affected by gravity. And there are some automatic bumpers, which are not controlled by a player (you know, those round things which push the ball themselves when hit).

Thats it.

From what i learned so far one can do it mainly like this:

1. The procedures of starting and joining the game are just like all the other demo scenes.
    2. The flippers of the players can also be controlled as described in the other demo scenes.
    3. The ball is a rigid body with network view, its transform state is observed and broadcasted by the server to the clients.

and now the tricky parts:
    All in common: Where are the collisions being processed? Is this necessary on both machines?

Example:
    - The ball hits a static bumper. such a bumper is just a collider. It either alters the movement of the ball by its physics material or by applying a force. Now, such a game object is usually in a scene, which the author calls "hard coded". He states this GameObject is thus owned by the server. So what does this mean now? Is the collision detected only on the server now? That would be desired. Or on both? That should not be necessary, as in the end, the balls transforms are observed. Which also means, that the colliders are not necessary on the client at all. So should the clients Gameobject remove its collider component on start?

On the other hand, the collision could also fire more things, like a visual feedback or some sound. For this the collider would be still useful. Or the server has to send some bumberdidhit RPC, to fire that.

Same thing would be even more tricky if those bumpers would move in some way...

Also, applying forces to the ball should only happen on the server. Not on server + clients.

And all this explained in a best practice way (avoid unnecessary physics calculations, or do those on the client as well and if for what reason?, keep network traffic low).

The pinball idea isn´t important, basically it could be anything that has:
    - multiple players effect a rigidbody directly
    - the rigid body gets affected be some forces on some event NOT controlled by the players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now my dumb question of the day:

Lets say you develop any game that could also work in network coop mode (lets say a topdown shooter). Would it be a good idea to create this as a network game from the beginning? I mean, the stand alone version of this could just be a start of the server without other players logging in.
    I am asking because i cannot see to much of a drawback for this except the work to set everything up for network and maybe a slight performance hit. What do you think? ( -- ducks --- )

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. gevarre

gevarre

Upon building each of the examples from a fresh project and testing by connecting on two seperate machines:

Example 2:
    I'm able to connect okay, but the server description and message of the day never show up on the client. Not a major issue, but the big problem is that if I set a password on the server, there is no way to enter this password on the client, thereby making it impossible to join the game. Watching closely, I'm guessing that the password field is being drawn on the client and then immediately being overdrawn by the server name button, but it goes by too fast to be sure.

Example 3:
    The password problem is the same as in Example two: The server can enter a password, but there's no field in the client GUI to enter it. In both examples there is the text "PW" to the left of the button to join. I don't know if this is just an indictor telling me that there needs to be a password or if it's a label to a password field that is no longer in view because the join button has been drawn over the top of it.

Example 4:
    This one is actually a bit worse. Again, the server description and message of the day never show up, either in the lobby or the game, though I do realize the functionality may just have not been written in. In this case, however, the name of the server is also not displayed in the client multiplayer menu. Instead, all I see is "gevarres game" no matter what is typed in on the server (gevarre being the player name I'd typed in from a previous example).

This example also has the same problem of there being no field in which the client can enter a password.

A further problem with this example is that when there actually is a game running, once a player sends a chat (by hitting enter, entering their text, and hitting enter again to send it), they will be unable to move again until after pressing one of the mouse buttons. Not really a good thing when you've just taunted the sniper on the other side of the room and you are stuck out in the middle! ;)

Example 5:
    Obviously this one doesn't have the lobby problems because there is no lobby, but it does have the same chat problem as Example 4: once a player sends a chat, they will not be able to move until they click in the main window with one of the mouse buttons. It doesn't matter which one.

Has anyone else seen these problems, or is it just me? I'm using the current version of Unity (3.4.2f2) and the current version of the projects downloaded two days ago.

9. jay1025

jay1025

Hello Leepo and Unity3D Community…

I’m thankful for the Ultimate Networking Project as 1) it works :] and 2) it seems basic enough for a newbie like me to understand. ;) I’m a programming instructor for 6th-12th graders, and I’m hoping that Unity3D would be a good gaming engine to teach development of multi-player networked games. As I'm studying Example 4 FPS, I need help in two basic areas:

1) When trying to tweak the initial values in Machinegun.js (such as my script values of “var damage=10.0; var bulletsPerClip=50; var clips=20”), such values get lost and are overridden in runtime when inspecting “PlayerPrefab(Clone).CrateCamera.Weapon”. First of all, I can’t find where “PlayerPrefab(Clone).CrateCamera” adopts “Weapon” as a child. :( Also, where do the new overriding values come from (such as “damage=20.0; bulletsPerClip=30; clips=5”)?

2) Also, does anyone have any recommendation regarding a good software/process (ideally low-cost or free ;) to develop other level maps? It would be fun to have my students start by developing their own maps for this game. ;)

Thanks again for any help. Anyways, I hope that this thread is still being supported. :) jay

10. appels

appels

Inspector values have precedence over the ones in the script. So you need to edit the ones you want in the inspector also or make the values private in the script.

11. jay1025

jay1025

Thanks Appels for the advice about using 'private' in scripts to hide from the inspector.

Also, I'm hoping if somebody could help me find -- in the original FPS -- 'where “PlayerPrefab(Clone).CrateCamera” adopts “Weapon” as a child.' Once someone can point me in that direction, I hope to understand how the original project overrides -- at runtime -- Machinegun.js vars such as: 'damage', 'bulletsPerClip', and 'clips'. Personally, I've looked and looked...even traced with MonoDevelop debugger, yet to no avail. :( Thanks again for any assistance out there. Still Searching... :) jay1025

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  12. gevarre

gevarre

Could someone else test and confirm this behaviour?

I've been seeing some odd behaviour with the scoreboard in my game, so I went back and built Example4 (the shooter with the crates) straight from a fresh install. I then set up a lan game with three computers : one computer as the server (player 1), and the other two as clients (Player 2 and Player 3).

Upon running the game, I find that the scoreboard only updates for interactions between an individual player and the server. Actions between clients that don't involve the server never get updated.

Examples:
    server (player 1) kills player 2.

The server's scoreboard shows this:
    server: 1 kill 0 deaths
    player 2: 0 kills 1 death
    player 3: 0 kills 0 deaths

So far, so good. Player 2's scoreboard reads this:
    player 2: 0 kills 1 death

Still good. However, player 3's scoreboard reads this:
    player 2: 0 kills 0 deaths

Player 2 will receive the server's update that the server scored a kill because it's coming from the server and it will record it's own death. Player 3 WILL NOT receive the record that player 2 has died because player 2 is not the server.

All computers now quit and relaunch the game with the same configuration. This time Player 2 kills Player 3. The scoreboards now look like this:

Server Scoreboard:
    server: 0 kill 0 deaths
    player 2: 1 kill 0 deaths
    player 3: 0 kills 1 death

again, so far, so good.

Player 2's scoreboard:
    server: 0 kills 0 deaths
    player 2: 1 kill 0 deaths

Player 2 records it's own kill because it's the one sending the message. However, Player 2 DOES NOT record Player 3's death because it doesn't receive any messages directly from Player 3 and the server doesn't appear to pass it on.

Player 3's scoreboard:
    server: 0 kills 0 deaths
    player 2: 0 kills 0 deaths
    player 3: 0 kills 1 death

Same situation as before: Player 3 will record it's own death because it is the one sending the message, but it never receives the message from Player 2 that Player 2 scored a kill.

I hope you could follow along with that because it can easily get confusing. At first I thought maybe it was something I did when I adapted this to my game, but since I'm testing this from a direct fresh install of the download, I'm guessing it's an actual bug in the scripting. Would it be possible for someone to do an independent test to confirm this?

@Leepo: Your last reply was over 2 months ago. Have you forgotten about your customers?

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Just busy but I'm sorry it started to show in the level of support on this product. So far quite a few issues were usually quickly solved by the help of other users here (thanks guys).

I have found your problem, it's in the GameSetup playerlist. Clients don't properly keep track of the NetworkPlayer for other clients since it is set in "TellOurName"by using info.Sender. As this is ALWAYS the server for clients, this is set incorrectly.

To fix this make three changes:

1) Change TELLOURNAME to this:
    (add the fromPlayer : NetworkPlayer and set it.)

2 3) Inside AWAKE are two RPCs for TELLOURNAME, change these to:
    I have submitted an update (1.10) to address this bug. This should be live on the asset store within the next 24-48 hours.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  14. gevarre

gevarre

Thanks. That worked perfectly :)

Any fix for the other problem I mentioned with the chat window not releasing focus after sending a message?

To recap: after entering a message and hitting enter to send it, keystrokes (other than hitting enter again to start a new message) are no longer recognized until one of the mouse buttons is pressed.

15. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

For the chat problem:

1) At the very end of the chatscripts OnGUI, add:
    2) Inside "HitEnter" add:
    I have added this to the project and will update the assetstore

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  16. gevarre

gevarre

Thanks. That works wonderfully and seems to have cleared up the last of the issues I've found so far.

Much appreciated :)

17. DigitalDuane

DigitalDuane

Is this 3.5 compatible? Is there a turn based game example in the bunch?

18. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hello, I have two questions:

Q1. Does this work on iPhone / Android?

Q2. Is it possible to use peer-to-peer style connection using Bluetooth?

Cheers

19. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yep, fully 3.5 compatible. There are no turn based examples, but all the know-how you'd need should be there (mp game browser, simple lobby system, in-game network messages)

1: This is based on Unity networking. Unity networking supports both mobile platforms. The only note is that connectivity
    2: No, Unity networking is server-client based, where one Unity instance acts as server (this could be one of your players). I believe GameCenter on iOS can provide bluetooth multiplayer?

20. hanmiaofeng1234

hanmiaofeng1234

21. gormee

gormee

I haven't been able to get the FixBuildSettings script to work. The M2HNetworking does not show up on my Unity Menu. I've searched this thread and the web but they all seem to show me how to attach the script to a game object which I'm pretty sure is not what I'm supposed to do, someone please point a noob in the right direction? much appreciated...

22. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

This means that Unity hasn't compiled the editor script, most likely you have open error messages in your console that prevent Unity from compiling all scripts.

23. digitalanam0ly

digitalanam0ly

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the FPS demo that comes with this server authoritative with client side prediction?

24. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

Hi.
    I may buy Ultimate Unity Networking project.
    but is it for Unity Master Server?
    I mean Master Server which can download via http://unity3d.com/master-server/

I just read the explanation text this form.
    Only "Example 2" is for Master Server?

Thank you.

25. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

It is not authoritative. There is interpolation (based on Unitys networking example)

Well yes, whole of Unity networking is based on the master server. Using it without the master server doesn't make much sense.
    Note that you can begin development without installing the master server yourself as you can use Unity's one for your development.

26. robek

robek

I have a problem, I import the package, the console say me:
    "Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/FPSWalker.js(10,21): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'FPSChat'."
    Any tip to avoid this problem?? I've tried to modify or delete this script but later appear 20 errors :( please help me

27. robek

robek

Hi Man, I've got 8 errors and every error say me:
    "The name 'List' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'UnityEngine.Light'?"

28. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The default package does not use this script so this is because of a local change.
    Please move the FPSWalker script OUTSIDE of the Standards Assets folder (as the compile order is different)
    See: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

To fix your second problem, add "import System.Collections.Generic;" to the top of your javascript.

29. robek

robek

Thanks man but now appear new errors:
    "Assets/M2HNetworking/Example2/MultiplayerMenu2.js(461,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'GameSettings'."
    "Assets/M2HNetworking/Example2/gamescript.js(14,54): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'GameSettings'."

Sorry for the disturb, and for my bad English I am Italian

30. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Please verify if you have the file GameSettings.cs (or .js) somewhere in your project. If not: redownload it from the asset store (it is listed on the asset stores file list)

31. robek

robek

No I haven't it but I have GameSetup I don't know if is the same, whatever I will download the package again

32. drgsus2

drgsus2

Hi Leepo,

I am very interested in your Ultimate Unity Networking Project.
    I would like to create an iOS game, similiar to iMob 2. In those kinda games the multiplayer part essentially is reduced to being able to create "crews" or "teams" with other players, with which you can attack other player teams, by seeing a random list of active players, and clicking "Attack". The stats are being compared to each other, and the stronger fighter wins, with a simple "You won" message. All this action is only shown through menu boxes, and there is no real synchronizing of game objects positions or complicated traffic heavy stuff like that.

Now the first things I read in the forums, when I'm looking for online multiplayer solutions are stuff like SmartFox or Photon. I looked into those services, and am kinda shocked by the prices. I guess those services are mainly made for big MMOs or FPSs, but it looks as those are completely overkill for browser game experiences like iMob 2 or Ogame.

Now my questions would be:
    Is your Project from the Asset Store suited for an iPhone project like that? Could I basically just use my own computer running Unity as the webserver, or rent a webhoster with unlimited traffic for things like that, when Im using your tutorial? Or would I need any additional services?

I thank you very much.

33. tobiass

tobiass

34. roger0

roger0

Does the tutorial series come with video tutorials? Or is it all words and pictures?

35. roger0

roger0

I just bought the tutorial and when I paste the link thats suppost to have the documentation its dead. Also to test things out I build and run the tutorial game. But when I try to make a game on the tutorial 3 - Authoritative server, I cant find any hosted games on another instance of the game. I've created a hosted game but it stil does not show up.

Also, alot of the buttons on the main menu goes to a black screen, after I started a game. Such as tutorial 2A1 - Observe transform, Tutorial 2A2 - Observe code, Tutorial 2A3 - RPC, and Tutorial 2B - instantiating.

Alof of things are broken. Please help.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  36. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

The documentation is also in a PDF right in the package when you import it into unity.

37. roger0

roger0

wheres it at? I dont see it. Just three files, M2HNetworking, plugins, and README.

38. roger0

roger0

Alright, I found the documentation and was able to open it in adobe reader. Although I am still having problems getting the example tutorials to work. Theres a couple images of a car game in the PDF but I have not found it.

39. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

He used screenshots from his own published games in the documentation to illustrate that he's using code from this project in a real world scenario (as it says in the caption immediately under the images). You don't get the source to CrashDrive 3D.

40. roger0

roger0

Alright, although the most alarming thing is why there are no hosted games showing up when I make two instances of the game. This is for the FPS example. I made sure im refreshing the list.

41. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Not sure... the project by default uses the UT master server, from what I understand in the other threads today it might be down currently? Also, did you set your project to run in background? Is your router capable of nat punchthrough?

42. roger0

roger0

nat punchthrough? Not sure. I was able to run my own game from the networking tutorial on blender cookie though.

43. B00TALMIGHTY

B00TALMIGHTY

I have been testing with the Unity Master Server for about 2 or 3 weeks now. This last week the Master Server have been difficult to to connect to, prior the server worked like a charm. Is it likely that this is how the server will be for the next few weeks?

44. gokhanertem

gokhanertem

In your tutorial it says that :

Tutorial 2/Tutorial 2A2
    The networkview attached to the PlayerCube is now observing the “Tutorial 2A2.js” script.

But I cannot make a connection inside networkview to a script.
    For example when in the network view, observed section, I select none, and I cannot rebind tutorial2a2.js to there.
    It allows transforms to be bound there, can you help me how did you bind that script there?

45. jcospina

jcospina

Hi everybody,

i begin using this tutorial as it looks really great, but i can get my project to work properly. I says "Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/FPSWalker.js(10,21): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'FPSChat'." and if i comment that script, i receive lots of errors, and i can't really see where the problem is. I tried reimporting but still doesn't work ¿any ideas?

Thanks

46. Ahisical

Ahisical

Thank you for the Ultimate Networking Project, it was really useful.
    But one+1 things i didn't understand....because i am a true noob at networks and a truly didn't understand anything from the doc(maybe some...)
    My question is:
    In the FPS project, the game finds all the available servers, and lists them, BUT, DOES THAT MEAN THAT IF ANY ANOTHER USER USING the ultimate networking project HOSTS A GAME, IT WILL APPEAR AT THE LIST OF MY GAME'S SERVERS ???
    other question is:
    I mean, what makes my game different from other games using the ultimate networking project?
    I heard from some people that making a multiplayer game needs money to buy servers...and other things.....does that apply with the ultimate networking project?

Thanks!!!(for reading....and answering!)

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ahisical: IIRC, this looks for the game name? I have not looked at this in a while, but you register "Your Game" (BattleChess, FoxBoxing, Whatever) and when someone tries to connect with "Your Game", the master server should only show the clients the available instances of "Your Game" not "Someone Else's Game".

Look at how your game is registered and what name you have to give it, then look for the name of the game being polled when you query the master server.

48. miroac

miroac

Just letting you know that I just bought it and wanted to ask if in future when noting which lines of code to be looking at (eg: (uncomment line 56) on page 11) that you also note which line it is in C#.

I took your advice right off the bat and have been swapping the js scripts with c# as I prefer it over the js, but it in the later stages of the document I'm just getting a double take when looking up the lines you reference.

Been able to find them but thought I'd mention it as something for future users.

Nice work on the tutorial though, was having trouble with RPC till I tinkered in this. Though might post up some questions after I've finished the whole tutorial and tried implementing some things.

Also I just noticed in Tutorial_3_Playerscript "//SendMovementInput(HInput, VInput); //Use this (and line 64) for simple "prediction" " when I un-comment it (as written in the tutorial) it says "Use this (and line 64)" when it is on line 64.

I'm using MonoDevelop for my coding, if that makes any different.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  49. miroac

miroac

@gokhanertem
    The way I did it was to have the script applied to the object, than click and hold the Tutorial_2A2 (Script) into the observed section. You can't just drop and drop it from the Project directory.

Also make sure you are dragging from the component title (as in click and hold while your mouse is over "Tutorial_2A2 (Script)"). That should work in any case.

50. d.toliaferro

d.toliaferro

Does the Ultimate Networking Project cover interpolation and extrapolation? Those are the only 2 things I'm struggling with.