Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Important - read this first!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andeeeee, Jan 25, 2011.

1. andeeeee

andeeeee

The community is by far Unity's greatest asset and beautifully animated at that. But sometimes your game needs a little... je ne sais quoi.

Use this section to promote free and commercial assets for use with Unity. These can be anything from scripts to plugins to complete projects. The specific requirement is that the asset itself be available and usable in a project, so please keep tutorials and references in the Teaching section and incomplete items in the Works in Progress section. Promotions and feedback requests for assets available from the Unity asset store are welcome. Please note that this section will be moderated more heavily than most of the others and inappropriate posts will be moved where they belong. Please help us to keep things tidy by observing this requirement and reporting lost posts if you find them.

2. Heartless49

Heartless49

Great idea. This will be a great resource for the community.

3. AVividLight

AVividLight

Yeah, thanks for adding this section!

4. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Awesome! Can't wait to post some cool stuff :)

5. jermaine

jermaine

useful very useful

6. afalk

afalk

Love the idea! :)

7. sovietpenguin

sovietpenguin

8. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

Can we post links to outside websites like turbosquid and 3Docean to buy our products?

9. mikesgames

mikesgames

@thegreyman1 - As long as it is your product i should think it'd be ok :)

10. Rafes

Rafes

After reading many user issues in these forums (and even posting a version of this in one of them), I thought it might be time to layout a

Unity Asset-Developer Quality-Assurance Checklist

Here are a couple I adhere to:

1) Test your output. For example, we keep two separate projects outside of our actual game project. When we want to release something, we copy the files in to the clean product project, run some final tests, then export the asset package. We then import that in to a completely empty project just to be sure there isn't anything unexpected going on for a end-user.

2) Organize everything in to root folders.
    Our product is code based so our root folder has to include the standard plug-ins folder. (This is true if you are creating custom editors as well.) Otherwise the import process breaks things. E.g. PoolManager imports in to Assets/Plugins/Pathological/PoolManager/...

3) Have docs which include a "quick start" guide which shows step-by-step, starting from import, how to get going. A video is great as well, but should not be in lieu of a written version.

4) Don't release code with errors or warnings (unless it is planned protection against misuse). An end-user wants a clean work environment.

5) Don't include sample files. [Update] I lied. Do include sample files! It just makes it easier to combine examples and unit tests all in one and it is easy to choose not to import them.

5b) Sample files should have a root folder too, so users can import these in to a busy project for easy reference yet still remove them easily.

Did I miss any? I'm happy to edit this with more suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    LaurieAnnis likes this.
  11. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Rafes,

In a package I purchased the author used a really timesaving notation system for any "user modification":

//Edit Here - B
    {
    Code Here
    }
    //Edit Here - E

This made it easy to find where the beginning (B) and end (E) was...unfortunately, I can't remember which package as I been using A LOT of different ones lately:confused:;)

So, if the author reads this, please take credit!

George

12. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@g2mediagroup: That was me, thanks :D I use this marks during my daily work and they help a lot.

13. Rafes

Rafes

Why would a user ever need to modify a released plugin (except for a temporary hack perhaps)? There should always be a way to provide hooks for a user (e.g. functions, references, delegates, inheritance, a component, etc.). Support would be almost impossible otherwise, as would updates (they would override your work.)

andreyefimov2010 likes this.
  14. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Because plugins are rarely if ever correctly written to permit that. It takes a lot of work to make something truly generic and extensible.

Arsonistic likes this.
  15. Rafes

Rafes

Yes it does, but in the context of this thread, it is a relevant point. If you are selling something (not free) it should be a good complete, solid, solution. It should plug in to someone's project with minimal effort or, if it is a deeper solution, it should be organized, well documented, offer good support and free updates (should problems be found - nothing is ever perfect when released after all).

If someone is going to pay $30+ for a tool, we want to give them something as professional as we would expect ourselves. I would not be happy if I paid for code and was left wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot. I guess the best we can do is lead by example and build a trustworthy brand.

16. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Sounds good to me. Glad to see someone is actually paying attention to those details. Details matter.

17. Rafes

Rafes

If any of these guys make a really successful game, it will cost them a lot more than if they bought it honestly. For example, if a plug in costs $30 and you pirate it, and your game makes a million dollars, I'm suing for ownership of a large part of your game. Just look at what those twins got from Facebook ;)

18. SJAM

SJAM

I like... le "je ne sais quoi" ;)

19. fragarcolin

fragarcolin

awesome and cool post man!!!!!!!
    :) ;)

20. Stanislav-Botev

Stanislav-Botev

"je ne sais quoi" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it will be a RANT!

Why my asset is rejected for:

Your key images are not to the quality that we would like to see on the Asset Store. Quite often this takes the form of an image being too busy, clashing colors or plain text or just not enough time spend developing the graphics.
    Please redesign your images to be more aesthetically pleasing and attractive. Having high-quality key images improves your packages marketing presence and is quite a substantial portion of being successful on the Asset Store.

And WHY THIS ONE ARE IN THE STORE!??????
    $1.jpg $2.jpg $3.jpg

My rejected images:
    $big_precise.png

Yes its not the top of the tops but it is not worst then already submitted assets there. Did we have to submit and pray someone of you to be in good mood to actually accept the submission. If you want: "[FONT=arial, sans-serif]quality that we would like to see on the Asset Store" make a CLEAR AESTHETIC GUIDELINES for that, CLEAR THE REPULSIVE ASSETS and FORCE the authors to make new images.
    [/FONT]
    Making an asset with this quality is not an easy task. Many of us strive to do good stuff for the store and you are not helping with the rejections of it and meantime allowing some really broken and ugly stuff there.

And I will wait ANOTHER TWO WEEKS just someone to see my KEY IMAGES and.... "nah not my type" REJECTED!

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The other images have the major benefit of being easy to read, whereas your "Collectables" text almost completely blends into the graphics (plus you have a typo in the text at the top). I'd say that's about 90% of the problem.

--Eric

22. Stanislav-Botev

Stanislav-Botev

Easy to read? Its image not the asset title, not the asset description! Its common in the asset store item to do not have the name in this image - what are these assets NOT BEING READABLE AT ALL? Its advertising image, thats the part where you LOOK at it not READ AND FIND CLUES WHAT IT IS. Yes it has a mistake but its just image, artistic rendition of the content for advertising purposes.

Once again you need CLEAR rules and guidelines for the key image submission quality done by professional who make difference between advertising image and product description and table of information.

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Then take the title out of the image. You're correct that it's not necessary, and it honestly doesn't look that great the way you have it. That plus the typo makes it look rather slapdash, which doesn't give a good impression. If you just took the text out I'd be surprised if it got rejected again.

--Eric

24. Stanislav-Botev

Stanislav-Botev

Its got accepted with the text just now. I dont want it to look great i just want it decent. The point is this image is not big deal the asset is important.

But fak my asset the most important think is to make the asset store great. Now the search sucks, the submission is less buggy but funny things happen when you have more then 3 asset in the manager.

Now the store is great place not because the store admins but the users and creators. Give them more versatile and simple tools. Make strong and meaningful rules. Makes the Store GREATER! It does makes you money as you have told us at the Unite. Make it better! Dont fail as Envato marketplace.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well your asset won't do very well without accepting the advice of others who do know better, who are selling, or even managing the asset store. Your arrogance is colossal and will be your downfall. You say make the store better but contribute with "Moblio", which isn't English. The store will most likely have English speaking customers (majority from the USA no doubt).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    theANMATOR2b and twobob like this.
  26. Stanislav-Botev

Stanislav-Botev

Downfall accepted, poor me. Moblio is the new black you know!

Arrogance - checked.
    Thank you for your most illuminating comments, your words are truly inspiring, but the hairsplitting is not my game.

I firmly believe "doing well" is matter of working hard and well. And yes you are right again , I wont make the store better by my self. It is someone elses job.

Be well and keep up with the good advices. Someone needs them!

27. jerotas

jerotas

I couldn't really find the answer: is it permissible to post in this forum about assets that are only sold outside the Unity Asset Store?

28. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Is this still the case? I just posted our project in WIP section http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wi...mesh-the-upcoming-tool-to-asset-store.323984/ But I have seen some WIP stuff on this side also.

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You're not supposed to post assets in this thread. The topic is about what you're supposed to post in this section; you don't need a topic to post in when you have an entire category for that. I deleted some off-topic stuff.

--Eric

30. farhanblu

farhanblu

My asset got rejected twice for exactly the same reason, and I had to learn a bit of photoshop to make a third revision, which is still pending review. Previously, it looked like this :
    FXHandleBig.png

It would be cool if you could also mention what category of the asset has been approved, and what still needs reviewing.

Now it looks like the following, but I still don't know if it will go through :
    FXHandleDesignBig.png

31. Immu

Immu

Hi, I'm going to post soon a topic for a future asset to be available in the asset store. It would be a topic for the WIP state of the asset at first.

I'm wondering how this work out, I'm a bit confused because I see released asset topics and wip assets topics both in the wip topics. Isn't their a way to move an asset topic from the Wip section into the asset store section as soon as it's ready ?
    Or are we suppose to open a new thread in the asset store section ?
    And what about a released asset where we want to talk about 'wip' updates ? Can we create discussion like that in a topic of an already-released asset ?

Thanks for your insights.

32. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

Hello, I recently had my first asset approved by the asset store and I wanted to start a thread to discuss any feedback or notes with the community.

I am wondering if there are any assets considered to be too simple or basic to start a thread for?

It's a low poly 1950s sports car with 2 material options. Given that I am new to Unity Publishing any feedback would be super helpful. Is this too basic or simple of an asset to start a thread for?

33. Webbstre

Webbstre

Hey @s0manyth1ngs, I was wondering how long it took to get your asset approved? I've been waiting 11 days for my first asset to go through.

34. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

It took 16 days and my asset was quite simple. After digging through a bunch of Unity Publisher forum threads it seems the average wait time is about 10-30 days.

35. Webbstre

Webbstre

Thanks! I'm on day 11 and my asset is also pretty simple. I hope update releases aren't as slow to get approval.

36. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

So, I got approval on my asset after 16 days and they sent me the live store link; however I have yet to find the asset organically by searching the store. I've reached out to Unity support, but technically its now been 20 days without anyone being able to find my asset. I specifically did a filtered search on all the assets released in the last week. Not sure if its bug with the store, just a saturated market, or maybe they expect me to market that link and once I get enough sales maybe then it will show up?

Not sure if this helps but thought I'd share in case you run into the same issue.

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

38. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

39. frenchtouch28

frenchtouch28

Where i can post a "Request Asset" for the Asset Store ? :)

40. TomasPetrlik

TomasPetrlik

I´ve got my asset approved after 2 days (4. to 6. February 2019). If you are getting rejected, read WHY are you getting rejected and fix that :)

This is the asset

41. dream19

dream19

Hello friends,

I am new around here. I have recently got my project approved and made a thread about it in this section. There is a lot of activity on popular libraries threads and my own one got pushed away rapidly. My question is if it ok/allowed to "bump" your thread from time to time?

42. LaneFox

LaneFox

As long as you reply with relevant information or updates its fine, although "bump" posts for the sake of bumping are not allowed.

43. volcank

volcank

Hi @LaneFox I am trying to post on Unity Asset store forum but it sees it as spam and gives warning!

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

I would appreciate your help. Basicaly I want to post my new item at asset store there.

Thanks a lot

44. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Can I give some feedback here? I do not want creating a new post just for it, but it is related to the Asset Store quality.

If the terrain has missing prefabs we cannot build it. Unity stops the compilation with an error.

I have bought many environment packages on the Asset Store and on many of them I got this error when trying to build the sample scenes provided by the publishers. Tested both on Unity 2018.4 and 2020.2. It happened not only for a single package, but many, from different publishers...

During the review process you guys should try to build a project with the asset to confirm if everything is fully working. Testing in editor is not enough.

There are some expensive packs that have this problem. It's frustrating, we pay for an asset to save time, and then we have to edit all scenes searching for missing trees on the terrain...

I hope that this could get some improvements in the future. It will also reduce the frustration of buyers, avoiding bad reviews just because of that.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,
    I am trying to understand why I got this message while submitting new assets into Asset Store "Due to previous behavior reports, we are no longer interested in hosting assets from this account" where I have not had any such reports sent to us. I have submitted several assets which were approved till last year Nov, 2020 but since Dec I am not getting even a single asset approved. I am not sure who to contact and how to clarify this matter. All the work I have done is purely based upon concept arts which I make for gaming purpose, I have helped customers who have contacted me through the Asset store and provided customised versions to them as they had specific requirements. Please help or atleast point me to right place where I can share this point and seek guidance.

46. Fashtas

Fashtas

I've been doing some tutorial videos for a Unity asset and wanted to start doing some review videos too, would this be the forum to post this sort of stuff?
    Probably don't need to post an tutorials since it's like a sub-group of two people including me that would be interested but the reviews may be cool/interesting enough for anyone using Unity