Search Unity

Unity + Kinect + RopeScript = Mace

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by amir, Jan 23, 2011.

1. amir

amir

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Interesting. The joints in the chain are stretching way too much. Have you tried maxing out the "iterations" setting in physics, and then reducing the mass of the ball (and probably the boxes as well)? That might help.

3. Firedrake23

Firedrake23

This looks amazing! I'm really excited to see people doing stuff like this with Kinect; it has such great potential, but none of the games released for it interest me. Good work!

4. puppeteer

puppeteer

5. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Hi, Amir is it the github repository already updated with the new project? or the new one is only in the precompiled binaries?

thanks

6. amir

amir

bikahuna: i wish i knew how to make the ropescript behave better. turning up physics iterations slows this down on my machine quite a bit, but it's probably because i have so many physics objects in the scene. i have to get ropescript 3.0 first.

puppeteer: i wish i could say people were throwing money at me left and right; definitely getting some intriguing offers but we'll see. Sidekick is in Ramat Gan, Israel... I used to live there in March/April .... i didn't know about the sidekick openNI contest, I just started doing this on Christmas Eve. I'd like to work with other people though, and I'd be very interested in finding other people who would like to help fund a prize for Unity games using Kinect. I have a bit of money for it, perhaps you have a bit more and perhaps Unity will contribute or throw in some pro licenses or whatever.

checco: the github repo has the older version without the ropescript. i didn't completely nail it with the ropescript here so i wasn't gonna upload until i figured out why the links get separated so much. I really only takes a few seconds to put a rope in your hand though.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Regarding the ropescript, looks like what's happening is that you're moving the "human" end of the rope too fast and the forces on the joints are exceeding what PhysX can handle. Since you can't move the end of the rope slower, you're probably going to have to come up with some other way of simulating this and not use physics joints. At least that's the direction I would look.

8. Bushyo

Bushyo

Hi, I'm not able to find a script attached to "RopaA" object in your UnityWrapper pack. I succeed with all other elements but I got only "waist" sphere moving. I'd like simply to get all spheres reacting to skeleton. Your soldier example works fine.....Thanks for any help

9. Bushyo

Bushyo

I've figured out Rope script isn't the problem. What strange: when I try to create my own project and connect spheres ( or any other object ) to Nite.cs I get error "tranfsorm.position for "17" ( it's always waist object ) is not valid. input .position {-infinity,-infinity,-infinity). What kind of object can be "waist"? or do I miss sth? Thanks ;]

10. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

nice idea I can imagine a game that is the reverse of shadow of the colossus where you are the colossus.

11. brianchasalow

brianchasalow

hey amir, haven't seen you on IRC lately. where you at ? :) come by #unity3d sometime