Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

More Fun with Unity and Kinect

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by amir, Jan 21, 2011.

1. amir

amir

(tinkerheavy.com) This is a demonstration of the Unity wrapper for OpenNI. My skeleton is tracked as I move in front of the Kinect. My feet are rigid-bodies that can kick the boxes. The boxes are also carryable if two hands interact with it simultaneously.

If you already have OpenNI+NITE working with your kinect, the binary for this project (pc and mac) is here: http://tinkerheavy.com/unityskeleton.zip
    To get the others working you'll need to get OpenNI and NITE from OpenNI.org (to use the kinect get sensorkinect from https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect instead of the openni.org sensor module)

The code and unity project are available on my git:
    https://github.com/tinkerer/UnityWrapper

2. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Great Work Amir!!!!
    I am very excited about the various potential of Unity with Kinect....

3. Kyuss77

Kyuss77

Is the kinect running on an xbox or a pc. I can't tell from the video. Very cool though.

4. ZJP

ZJP

Nice work :cool:

JP

5. zweihander111

zweihander111

Very cool! Just got my kinect home, I'll start right away!

6. wmaass

wmaass

If I may ask a silly question: How do you "connect" to the Kinect when running this? When I run this the scene with the boxes comes up but nothing else. My Kinect works with all of the OpenNI and NITE samples just fine. Any tips?

EDIT: I got it, you have to do the pose. I was impatient. Works great, good work!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  7. amir

amir

I just raise my hands to the air, look up and say "please god make it work" and then it does. Every testing moment is a miracle.

Kyuss: this works on OS X or PC. I don't even own an Xbox!

8. robotfunk

robotfunk

I'm watching this with great interest, as we are looking to use the kinect for mocap into unity3d (at Film Academy). I've setup openNI/Sensor/NITE, the NITE examples work fine here including skeleton tracking.

If I open this project in Unity3D, the floor and cubes are all bright magenta (missing texture/material?), the boxes have a missing script in the Mono Behaviour (I think the carryable goes here?). Also the first 2 spheres have a missing script (would the hand script go here?)
    Also the camera is missing a script (which one?).

If I open the executable I see the floor and boxes textured fine, but striking the pose all I want, I don't see a character appearing... any tips would be highly appreciated.

9. robotfunk

robotfunk

OK I think the Nite3 script goes on the camera, when I do that i get DllNotFoundException: OpenNI

10. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Hi Amir... I installed all the libraries and dependencies as wrote on readme, and I got it working with the precompiled unityskeleton (and unitiskeleton2 found on your website)... but I can't make working the unity project because it has lost all the links to the monobehaviours (and also shaders and materials...)...

I think you should use the "export package" feature to keep the logical links between the assets inside the project...

btw, thank you for your work!.. we will start expreimenting it really soon!

PS: I found a shorter way to install the libusb-1.0 library, downloading the roxlu openNI repo through github and manual copying the content of /Source/External/LibUSB/Mac/ inside the /opt/local/bin/ folder in my mac.

11. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Only a last question.. (I'm talking about OSX unityskeleton build): I noticed that the axis are inverted... I changed the mirror option to true inside OpenNI.xml and I get the right X movement, but I still have the wrong Z axis orientation...

12. amir

amir

I'm sorry I suck at sharing Unity Projects! I'll learn how to use export package now!

13. amir

amir

if you want it to be looking at you and mirror image i think you should just put a negative sign somewhere in there. also will do this to the project when i learn to export packages

14. T.Lourenco

T.Lourenco

looking at this,...my mind start to think about my new challenger!

good job!

15. zweihander111

zweihander111

Here is a video showing what I've been able to do with the info I found in this forum. Just using FAAST to drive a character in unity. very simple yet very cool
    (I already posted this in another thread but I thought it fits here too)
    Thanks to all!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=495296026955&comments

16. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

We are trying to get this to work here, but both on windows and Mac the error message that comes from running the binary is

DllNotFoundException: OpenNI
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) xn.OpenNIImporter:xnEnumerationErrorsAllocate (intptr)
    at xn.EnumerationErrors.Create () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.EnumerationErrors..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.Context.InitFromXml (System.String xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.Context..ctor (System.String xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Nite3.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Any clue on whats wrong?

/Thomas

17. kweiko

kweiko

REALLY awesome job, this will be so much fun to look forward once I know enough (and have gotten a kinect =) )
    One thing though: with such bg music and such an avatar, you should have done the robot dance instead! :O

/Kweiko

18. GTaveira

GTaveira

19. diabloroxx

diabloroxx

Nice work..Thanks for the info abt setting it up.

20. t00cg

t00cg

First Thanks for your work. Your ReadMe (for MacOS X) works really good. (Only thing that not work or i had to do also - i guess this is installed on your maschine was: *********1.1**** sudo port install git-core *********** after 1) Intall MacPorts from: http://distfiles.macports.org/)

The Tests and your Skeleton-Programm (compiled) works perfectly on MacOSX.

But my Problem is now the Unity-Project. If I download the whole thing over git. I get a folder with the Assets Folder etc. If i open for example skeletontest-project. there a lot of Missing-Scripts on the gameobjects. And i can't even compile it.

What can i do to fix this? Do you have also a simpler version? Than i could start to bring all together again. Or am i the only one with this problem?

Thanks for any help

René Bauer

21. fergu00

fergu00

Thanks Mate! very good Job

Sergi

22. megisto

megisto

Why i see everything pink? Does this project works only on the full edition maybe?

Attached Files:

23. pandigital

pandigital

Can someone post some screenies or list showing which scripts need to go on which Objects please.

24. Ilikescifi

Ilikescifi

@ checco77: open the openNi file. there you´ll find <Mirror on="true"/> false is mirror, true is right !
    best,
    Jot

25. Ilikescifi

Ilikescifi

@ "Why i see everything pink? Does this project works only on the full edition maybe?"

I have the same problem :(

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  26. HeywoodFloyd

HeywoodFloyd

Impressive work.

I've got a nut bolts question about the OSX implementation: Obviously you were able to access the OpenNI library through a bundle. How'd you build the bundle? I've been trying to access a 3rd party library through a bundle, and I always get the System.DllNotFoundException, even when the bundle is obviously in place.

27. nikemerlino

nikemerlino

I can't install NITE because this free PrimeSense license key seems to be invalid 0KOIk2JeIBYClPWVnMoRKn5cdY4=

How is it possible to do an application like "KinectViewer" in MacOS App Store without any installation of OpenNI,NITE and SensorKinect?

Can someone have the time to explain us the right procedures to run the examples in this forum. It is not very clear. When I do sudo sh "Path to install.sh" I have many errors and I can't understand if the installation is done. What is your experience?
    Thanks to all

28. pandigital

pandigital

29. amir

amir

it's cuz i suck and don't know how to distribute my projects. i'll fix it later. i may as well take down the scenes and just make everyone figure out how to use my source

30. nikemerlino

nikemerlino

It works fine!!!
    Many thanks to all

31. pandigital

pandigital

Hi Amir

Could you post here which scripts go on which Game Objects?

Many thanks

32. Bushyo

Bushyo

Once again: great job! I'm not the master at unity development but I got it running :)
    But only in debug mode... After publishing and testing your example as standalone app my kinect device doesn't fire at all ;[ what can I do to compile it to Mac app ( or windows-compatible ) and make it working? Is a C wrapper issue?
    Thanks for any help

33. amir

amir

@Bushyo: I believe you need to have the .NET.dll and .xml files in the same directory as your executable.

34. Bushyo

Bushyo

Thanks! Eth works fine. I'm creating virtual puppet for my little son. I gonna publish the source soon...
    I share I am :)

35. Bushyo

Bushyo

I can not figure it out how to detect collisions between model controlled by Kinect and any other object. RigiBody and Character Controller don't work at all. Do I need to write my own script or do I attach scripts to wrong element in library?
    Any help welcome ;]

36. bryanleister

bryanleister

You need a collider on both and a rigid body on at least one of them. Turn off gravity or make it Kinematic can help it behave as you want.

Bryan

37. minevr

minevr

I get it.....

Thin waist~~~:p:p:p

Attached Files:

38. kaushalyjain

kaushalyjain

Hi,
    can you please explain me how to modify the code and how exactly to incorporate OpenNI + NITE in Unity3D..
    I got the sample posted above working fine.. and i know OpenNI + NITE framework reasonably well..
    Thanks...
    Kaushal

39. rahuxx

rahuxx

@ Minevr : help me too.

40. Curious

Curious

Are you guys on windows or mac? I can't get it to work on win! Any instructions?

@Minevr:
    How did you get the images at the corner of the screen?

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  41. Curious

Curious

Heh, got it to work, impressive :)

Thank you Amir ;)

42. kaushalyjain

kaushalyjain

i m on win 7 and i have got the sample running.. only thing is i want to know how to modify the code and understand it.. especially the integration of the gestures of NITE with unity3D... thanks in advance..!!

43. Curious

Curious

So, are you going to upload the complete project again fixing the missing script and untextured objects any time soon?

44. ben.aten

ben.aten

Hi,

Can we play this without having any external devices except our PC.

Thank you,
    Ben