Unity Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Location
    San Francisco CA, USA, Earth

More Fun with Unity and Kinect

(tinkerheavy.com) This is a demonstration of the Unity wrapper for OpenNI. My skeleton is tracked as I move in front of the Kinect. My feet are rigid-bodies that can kick the boxes. The boxes are also carryable if two hands interact with it simultaneously.

If you already have OpenNI+NITE working with your kinect, the binary for this project (pc and mac) is here: http://tinkerheavy.com/unityskeleton.zip
    To get the others working you'll need to get OpenNI and NITE from OpenNI.org (to use the kinect get sensorkinect from https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect instead of the openni.org sensor module)

The code and unity project are available on my git:
    https://github.com/tinkerer/UnityWrapper

2. Location
    Sintra, Portugal
    Great Work Amir!!!!
    I am very excited about the various potential of Unity with Kinect....

3. Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Is the kinect running on an xbox or a pc. I can't tell from the video. Very cool though.

4. Posts
    Very cool! Just got my kinect home, I'll start right away!

5. Posts
    If I may ask a silly question: How do you "connect" to the Kinect when running this? When I run this the scene with the boxes comes up but nothing else. My Kinect works with all of the OpenNI and NITE samples just fine. Any tips?

EDIT: I got it, you have to do the pose. I was impatient. Works great, good work!
    Last edited by wmaass; 01-21-2011 at 07:35 PM.

6. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaass View Post
    If I may ask a silly question: How do you "connect" to the Kinect when running this? When I run this the scene with the boxes comes up but nothing else. My Kinect works with all of the OpenNI and NITE samples just fine. Any tips?

EDIT: I got it, you have to do the pose. I was impatient. Works great, good work!
    I just raise my hands to the air, look up and say "please god make it work" and then it does. Every testing moment is a miracle.

Kyuss: this works on OS X or PC. I don't even own an Xbox!

7. Posts

having trouble getting this to work (osx)

I'm watching this with great interest, as we are looking to use the kinect for mocap into unity3d (at Film Academy). I've setup openNI/Sensor/NITE, the NITE examples work fine here including skeleton tracking.

If I open this project in Unity3D, the floor and cubes are all bright magenta (missing texture/material?), the boxes have a missing script in the Mono Behaviour (I think the carryable goes here?). Also the first 2 spheres have a missing script (would the hand script go here?)
    Also the camera is missing a script (which one?).

If I open the executable I see the floor and boxes textured fine, but striking the pose all I want, I don't see a character appearing... any tips would be highly appreciated.

8. Posts
    OK I think the Nite3 script goes on the camera, when I do that i get DllNotFoundException: OpenNI

9. Location
    Italy
    Hi Amir... I installed all the libraries and dependencies as wrote on readme, and I got it working with the precompiled unityskeleton (and unitiskeleton2 found on your website)... but I can't make working the unity project because it has lost all the links to the monobehaviours (and also shaders and materials...)...

I think you should use the "export package" feature to keep the logical links between the assets inside the project...

btw, thank you for your work!.. we will start expreimenting it really soon!

PS: I found a shorter way to install the libusb-1.0 library, downloading the roxlu openNI repo through github and manual copying the content of /Source/External/LibUSB/Mac/ inside the /opt/local/bin/ folder in my mac.
    --
    Francesco Marcantoni
    CEO of Esimple
    www.esimplestudios.com

10. Location
    Italy
    Only a last question.. (I'm talking about OSX unityskeleton build): I noticed that the axis are inverted... I changed the mirror option to true inside OpenNI.xml and I get the right X movement, but I still have the wrong Z axis orientation...
    --
    Francesco Marcantoni
    CEO of Esimple
    www.esimplestudios.com

11. Location
    I'm sorry I suck at sharing Unity Projects! I'll learn how to use export package now!

12. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by checco77 View Post
    Only a last question.. (I'm talking about OSX unityskeleton build): I noticed that the axis are inverted... I changed the mirror option to true inside OpenNI.xml and I get the right X movement, but I still have the wrong Z axis orientation...
    if you want it to be looking at you and mirror image i think you should just put a negative sign somewhere in there. also will do this to the project when i learn to export packages

13. Location
    Sao Paulo, Brasil
    looking at this,...my mind start to think about my new challenger!

good job!

14. Posts
    Here is a video showing what I've been able to do with the info I found in this forum. Just using FAAST to drive a character in unity. very simple yet very cool
    (I already posted this in another thread but I thought it fits here too)
    Thanks to all!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....26955&comments

15. Location
    Řresundsregionen
    We are trying to get this to work here, but both on windows and Mac the error message that comes from running the binary is

DllNotFoundException: OpenNI
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) xn.OpenNIImporternEnumerationErrorsAllocate (intptr&)
    at xn.EnumerationErrors.Create () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.EnumerationErrors..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.Context.InitFromXml (System.String xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at xn.Context..ctor (System.String xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Nite3.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Any clue on whats wrong?

/Thomas
    ElectroCute * Smack Boxing * TouchWars * Monster Ball * Smack Hockey * Tactical Soldier
    Unity SmartFoxServer API * Unity Asset Server Commit Mailer
    Follow on twitter: http://twitter.com/thomas_h_lund

16. Location
    London
    REALLY awesome job, this will be so much fun to look forward once I know enough (and have gotten a kinect =) )
    One thing though: with such bg music and such an avatar, you should have done the robot dance instead! :O

/Kweiko
    Twitter: @Kweiko
    Blog: www.kweiko.abbascenter.com/

17. Location
    Brazil
    Great job amir!

Using your project example I was able to develop this Penalty Kick "game"! It's not a game yet but it's still very fun!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEXc7YVZ-E
    Giancarlo Taveira
    @giantaveira

18. Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Nice work..Thanks for the info abt setting it up.

19. Posts

Problem with the Unity-Project and Source-Codes

First Thanks for your work. Your ReadMe (for MacOS X) works really good. (Only thing that not work or i had to do also - i guess this is installed on your maschine was: *********1.1**** sudo port install git-core *********** after 1) Intall MacPorts from: http://distfiles.macports.org/)

The Tests and your Skeleton-Programm (compiled) works perfectly on MacOSX.

But my Problem is now the Unity-Project. If I download the whole thing over git. I get a folder with the Assets Folder etc. If i open for example skeletontest-project. there a lot of Missing-Scripts on the gameobjects. And i can't even compile it.

What can i do to fix this? Do you have also a simpler version? Than i could start to bring all together again. Or am i the only one with this problem?

Thanks for any help

René Bauer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast