Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Transcripted - Web prototype

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Krobill, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Krobill

Krobill

Latest trailer of Transcripted :

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Krobill

Krobill

Added some refraction effects to the explosions. Maybe we've been a bit heavy handed with it, but for boys used to Flash limitations, it feels good just to be able do these kind of things :D

3. Acumen

Acumen

Just wanted to hop by and say the actual ingame art is pretty awesome !
    Yeh, my first thought when seeing the game menu was "Oh did I click the right link ?" - but you already mention that in the opening post ^^
    Should be really cool to see it all coming together. Hope you keep us updated !

4. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Excellent :) Feels like it should be up there witht he PSNetwork games - love the quality/feel :)

5. justicar

justicar

Bloody brilliant! Hard (because I'm lousy with keyboard commands) but it's cool as heck.

6. showoff

showoff

This is probably by far one of the best looking games I've seen on unity. It is simple but beautiful looking. Now just make a custom HUD or GUI for the menu and level selection then it will be perfect.

7. 1vo

1vo

gorgeus and addictive game to say little
    to add to what showoff said, IMO you should just tweak the difficulty progression level by level to make it perfect - in a quick try I saw the step up just from first and second level is too high

8. Krobill

Krobill

Thanks for the comments.

@Acumen : Yeah the front menu really sucks but it's really not a priority right now. Of course it'll change in the coming weeks when our GUI system will meet our requirements.

@Justicar :We're aware that the mouse + keyboard controls can be a bit hard for non hardcore PC gamers. The final version will have a pad control system and a mouse only feature with adapted difficulty settings

@1vo : yeah, the difficulty is not progressive enough and the game is overall way to hardcore. The current prototype is just an (unbalanced) example of what will be the survival / challenge mode. The actual core of the game will be an 'adventure' mode with a lot more features, puzzle mechanisms, weapons, opponents, boss and such, introduced very gradually with different difficulty settings.

We're a very small team so we're not expecting to finish the full game before October. We will post regular updates to get feedback on the different game mechanics we introduce. Actually, the first boss fight is pretty close to a playable version... maybe somewhere next week.

9. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

I can only agree with what's been said before. Looks great, the colors are really well composed I think. The gameplay is already fun, and has lots of potential with the additions you've mentioned.

10. Krobill

Krobill

And here comes the first boss fight ! For now, it's a level of its own which exists in two difficulty modes. It's an example of what will be featured in the full game where each boss will require its own strategy to be destroyed.

We implemented scrollable levels for the boss but most of the regular levels will soon be upgraded to larger scrollable versions too. We also noticeably increased the size of the web player window. A lot more space to enjoy far more intense bullets feast ! Next will probably come the brand new weapon system : upgrades, tiny bombs and shiny bullets and lasers all over the place ^^. Or maybe a decent start menu before that, who knows...

On a side note, we've finally tested our home-made 2D library used in this game on iOS platforms and it's doing good ! Unity is great :D

11. enragedmrt

enragedmrt

Awesome game. First game posted on these forums that I actually spent a bit of time on. Beautiful graphics and the gameplay feels great.

12. Krobill

Krobill

** Added a gameplay video in the first post **

13. killbourne

killbourne

i love the look of this one :) reminds me a little of Wizzle [made with udk] only very different and better looking imho.... well done

14. killbourne

killbourne

ok, i just played the demo and wow.... i take back what i said, nothing like wizzle. Very Cool :) [goes off to play again]

15. NomadKing

NomadKing

After seeing the screenshots, i clicked on the link expecting a geometry wars style clone - but instead i was suprised to find something much more interesting! A shooter-match-three-asteroids-style hybrid game, with great graphics, very nice gameplay and an overall high quality feel to it. Love the music too, very fitting. Well done guys :)

Now back to killing that damn boss...

16. PolyMad

PolyMad

Cool stuff!

17. Voumerus

Voumerus

Awesome game i really like the mechanics you've combined for some interesting yet simple game play that's very addictive and the graphics are beautiful :D

I don't often find myself playing a game wishing i'd come up with the concept ^^

18. PolyMad

PolyMad

I really love the environment visual, those shaders... great graphic stuff.

19. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

The game looks great! I really need to sit down and learn more about shaders. Does anyone have any good references for working with shaders in Unity? I think there are some tools to use, but I can't remember what they were.

Great work! Keep the updates coming!

20. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

If this is to do with Protein Synthesis, playing this counts as Biology revision, right?

Anyway, great looking/playing game. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

21. Krobill

Krobill

It definitely has to do with protein synthesis but not your usual everyday protein. More a work of (science) fiction than revision. You'll have to play the scenario mode when the game is complete to know what this is all about ^^

22. Krobill

Krobill

A few contact jobs later, we're back to Transcripted ! A new playable version has been uploaded with :
    - first pass of work on a more decent menu interface
    - highscore
    - larger levels with enough room for a greater challenge

Hopefully, the next updates will not take as long. Still some more tedious things to do like the hint / tutorial system, then we're off to the cool stuff : new weapons, new environments, new opponents.

23. Krobill

Krobill

And yet another update : this week, the hint system. You don't need to read the 'how to play' page to understand the game anymore!
    This will also serve as the interface for in-game dialogues with characters of the scenario mode.

Hints will pop only once each. A proper option to activated / deactivate or reset them will come later since we're quite fed up with GUI for now...

You can still play the game HERE but beware it is now slightly harder : cubes launched on the chain can now collide with hostile entities !

24. ali31

ali31

This game looks great, loving the colors and the lighting effects. Will you be porting it to the iPhone?

25. Krobill

Krobill

iPhone ==> little chance mainly due to ergonomy / lisibility problems
    iPad ==> pretty good chance if the game has any success on PC Mac

We have others projects for the iPhone that will be much more suited to the device ^^

26. ali31

ali31

I just had a go at the demo, I like the noise overlay whoever decided to add has a good eye for art.

27. Vancete

Vancete

Will be released as Win executable? It'll be amazing in my 1080p screen:D

28. niosop2

niosop2

Beautiful visuals and a great mash up of game types. Excellent work so far.

29. Krobill

Krobill

Yes Vancete, the final game will be a Mac and PC standalone game.

We already have a high resolution desktop build and it sure does look a lot better than the web player. At some point, we will also release a downloadable desktop demo.

30. Vancete

Vancete

Amazing work, mate.
    One more question: the final version will be free or payed?

31. Krobill

Krobill

Definitely not free. At some point, we have to make a living out of our games ^^

32. Kemical

Kemical

Damn, we failed our "one week, one update" challenge... At least here is a new "not so essential, so absolutely indispensable" feature ! ^^

Ennemies don't increase your score upon death anymore, instead they will now spread some bubbles which you'll have to collect to increase your score. In the Scenario mode, thoses bubbles will be the currency you'll need to upgrade (and pimp!) your nano-robot .

On a more technical note, the bubbles are animated inside their own shader, so you shouldn't be punished by your CPU if you have thousands of them displayed on you screen at the same time ;) (We also used this trick for the background, its animation was a bit too expansive)

As usual, our online version includes the lastest changes and you can find it here : http://transcripted.alkemi-games.com ! :)

33. Kemical

Kemical

Here comes the first "newbie friendly feature" : the shield !

You'll now have to deal with bullets in a slightly different way. The hitbox of the avatar will be significantly bigger for the purpose of colliding with bullets (that's the bad news) but your shield doubles your resistance against bullets and will regenerate over time when you stop taking damages for several seconds (this is the good one ^^).

We hope you'll like the design of the shield, and the impact effects. As for bubbles we continue to experiment with some vertex and fragment programs for nice and cheap effects. Here we've stored impact positions in the shield material, then within the fragment program the texture color is multiplied by the intensity of the shield (0 to 1) which is inversely proportional to the distance between fragment and impact position.

As always, you'll find the new version here : http://transcripted.alkemi-games.com

34. iisjreg

iisjreg

I love it. Awesom concept, beautifully realised.

The only possible suggestion I could make, is to somehow make the player and reticule slightly more prominent.

35. Arowx

Arowx

Hi Krobill, nice work good to see you are making great strides with this. Keep up the great work.

36. Krobill

Krobill

Thanks. 2 to 3 months of intense work to go before the release ^^

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wow, I love the graphics, but most of all I love the UI design: it feels very slick and fits perfectly with all the game :)