Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to build or where to get the "overdraw" shader used in the Scene view

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Jean-Fabre, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Posted a question in unity answers with no reply, so I am trying now on the appropriate forum:)

Is the shader used for the overdraw effect available somewhere? You can view it in the authoring scene tab , the second drop down is normally set to rgb but you have other options, including overdraw.

I really like this shader, so hopefully, someone can put me in the right direction to build it, as I am not yet very knowledgeable with shaders unfortunately.

Bye,

Jean

2. Kuba

Kuba

3. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Yep, thank you very much for that! works very well.

I have added the possibility to pick the color for convenience:

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Overdraw" {
    2. Properties {
    3.     _MainTex ("Base", 2D) = "white" {}
    4.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (0.15,0.0,0.0,0.0)
    5. }
    7. SubShader {
    8.     Fog { Mode Off }
    9.     ZWrite Off
    10.     ZTest Always
    11.     Blend One One // additive blending
    13.     Pass {
    14.         SetTexture[_MainTex] {
    15.             constantColor [_Color]
    16.             combine constant, texture
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    20. }

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Paul-Swanson and JBehreandt like this.
  4. cupsster

cupsster

Can this be extended to support bump map?

5. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

This shader does not model any lighting. What would you expect a bump map to do?

6. Kovenant

Kovenant

Can this be made into an Image Effect? If so, how? I would want this shader to affect everything visible by the camera instead of switching materials of objects at runtime..

7. bgolus

bgolus

No. Quite explicitly this would be impossible as just an image effect. An image effect can only work on the image(s) that has been rendered, and since (presumably) the entire scene wasn't rendered in flat translucent colors to begin with there's no way for an image effect to show things that were hidden behind other things in the original image.

However it would be possible using a replacement shader.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-ShaderReplacement.html

Kovenant likes this.
  8. Kovenant

Kovenant

Thanks.. I've achieved what I wanted with a ReplacementShader :) This will work great for a Stealth game I'm working on. However.. Is it possible to make a ReplacementShader only affect certain objects in the scene, or rather ignore certain objects in the scene on a certain Layer or with a certain tag?

Making a whole level using this overdraw effect looks good, but with a lot of models in the scene it kinda makes no sense.. :)

9. bgolus

bgolus

If you don't want an object to render at all, just make sure it has a tag that isn't listed in the replacement shader. For example, you could have your replacement shader use a tag name of "Stealth", then walls would use the value "Stealth"="Wall', enemies "Stealth"="Enemy", etc. Objects you don't care about don't get the tag at all, or use a tag value like "Hidden". This does mean you have to either use custom materials, or assign the tags via script:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material.SetOverrideTag.html

If you want to render the scene with the replacement shader, but have some objects render normally, that you can't do. For that people generally just render the entire scene as is and either manually swap the materials on objects, or they just render everything and then use a replacement shader pass to render on top like this:

10. Kovenant

Kovenant

I found that video yesterday and it was great. However he forgot to include the modified Standard Shader and the shader he included doesn't work like it does in the video; i.e the outline is always drawn no matter if the character / object is behind a wall or not so I will try to fix that..

11. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

12. GearKlik

GearKlik

Is it possible to replace/edit the actual shader used by Unity to display scene overdraw? I find a color ramp from green through yellow to red is more intuitive for artists.