Search Unity

Video Tutorial - How to make an Asteroids style game!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ExB, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ExB

ExB

Hi everyone! I've been using unity for about a year now and I have decided to make some video tutorials on how to make an Asteroids style game. The first video can be seen here:

-UPDATE Jan 20th 2011- I DELETED THE ORIGINAL FIRST VIDEO AND REMADE IT. The new one is 100x better and shows a lot more! So delete the project files and redo it!

#1 Asteroids Movement

Direct Link Here

#1.5 Asteroids Movement

Direct Link Here

WEBPLAYER after episode 1:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6629353/AsteroidsTutorial/WebPlayer_ep1/WebPlayer.html

While making this video I have assumed you are familiar with the unity interface and know what does what. Please provide feedback with what you think I should improve and if I should continue making these :). Thanks for watching!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. starmind001

starmind001

Thanks! That was fun. I love retro games. Please do continue.

3. ExB

ExB

:). Thanks for the positiveness! I found a much better mic so the next episode should go a lot smoother!

4. starmind001

starmind001

Glad to hear that. So when in is the second part coming?

5. ExB

ExB

Perhaps tomorrow. I work a full time job so I'll be making these on my day off, which is tomorrow! In the next video I hope to add:

Screen restraints - So when an object exits the right side of the screen it re-appears in the left etc.
    Particle Emitter for the thrusters.
    (and if I can squeeze it in) Shooting bullets (simple version to start with).

Also: Does anyone know the time limit of youtube videos? A year or so ago I remember it was 10 minutes. But seeing how I went over that with this video I'm not sure anymore.

:)

6. BRIK

BRIK

I was just wondering, could you please tell me what software you used to capture your screen? Thanks.

7. Shardz

Shardz

This is great and really appreciated as I'm working on something which entails using some features borrowed from Asteroids and I'm having some hangups. As fate would have it, I'm using two C# plugins for features that I need to remove and/or rewrite in UnityScript because I want a webplayer version first. Problem number two would involve wrapping the player around the screen so that when it goes off the screen on one end, it wraps to the other end. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time, but every bit helps.

The video is great and I look forward to seeing more soon!

8. ExB

ExB

Camtasia Studio, I just got it and love it! Allows you to do a lot of cool features and add stuff to the time line very easily! It costs a bit of $$ though. I think theres a trial version running around somewhere on their site.

Thanks! I Appreciate the positive feedback :). Tomorrow I'll add a link to the script file that I go over in the video in the info box this way you can examine it much closer if you need :D

9. starmind001

starmind001

9 mins is the bare minimum, I believe. Right now I have up to 15 mins that I can upload, but I have seen up to 2 hrs be able to download. If your video is large there should be a link for you to contact youtube to upload larger videos to your account. Hope this helps.

10. ExB

ExB

Thanks for the info!

I Also wanted to say: Sorry I didn't get to the video tutorial today! Things came up, I'm gonna try to put it out tomorrow. Even though I didn't work on it today I came up with a lot of ideas on what can be added to this. The first few episodes are gonna be aiming to make a Asteroids Replica, After that is achieved to add a "fun factor" I will add some unique ideas to make it something that hasn't really been played before. I was thinking, Asteroids and ships drop weapon pickups, the player has health rather than a simple 1 hit kill. and maybe I'll eventually even go over "adding networking to your game", and add a multiplayer feature! I know I'm getting ahead of myself but all this stuff is something I struggled with my first few weeks and would be cool to help everyone out :).

11. ExB

ExB

HI PEOPLE! I deleted the first video and remade it and it turned into 2 parts. this completes the movement. Tell me if you like this! :). BTW: DELETE the project you started from the first one and remake it since this uses a 3d model for the ship and looks 100% better!

:)

12. Shardz

Shardz

Fantastic! This really helped me out quite a bit and I'm looking forward to more. I don't see a lot of top down tutorials out there and the screen wrap function alone was enough to chew on for a while. I only hope that I'm half as fluent in UnityScript as you are in a year 'cause it's extremely painful starting off with very little scripting experience and 10,000 questions right off the bat.

By all means, carry on! This is one of the best tutorials I've seen and I'm enjoying it very much.

13. jgb143

jgb143

When I was making an Asteroids game as a test project I quickly gave up on trying to do screen wrap (I calculated colliders at the edge of the screen instead). Wish I saw this then.

14. ExB

ExB

Thanks! I appreciate it :). I'll get to the next tutorial in a few days on my next day off of work so be ready! The new one is gonna have a lot more code in it. I'm gonna go over Instantiating a bullet and shooting it as the original Asteroids game did, But I'm going to add a twist to it to make it look and feel much more unique!

15. Shardz

Shardz

Yes, that was actually my goal when I started on this game ten days ago. I wanted to keep the simplicity, mechanics and fun factor of the original while adding newer generation features to the mix. I was thinking the Health/Shields/PowerUps combo would be what I wanted to implement and lots of surprises along the way. I have one player craft done and working (there will be more in the upgrade shop to purchase later) and about 3 enemies thus far and one extremely ugly asteroid that is screaming for ZBrush or something for help.

I was also checking out the Boids and thought they would make an excellent late-game type of foe that would swarm the player and probably validate the need for heavy weaponry upgrades. The only thing is, I believe that the Boid Controller code is in C# and that would toss my webplayer version out the window unless it was ported to UnityScript...and I'm not sure that is even possible really. A lot to think about for a "simple" game indeed.

I know this game has been emulated to death, but it's a great learning experience and pays tribute to one of the best games ever produced. No Sinistar for me quite yet until I get a firm grasp on things first. Thanks again and I look forward to more!

P.S. I just remembered last night about the teleport button in Asteroids. It was a panic button of sorts that would teleport you randomly on the screen. Now that the boundaries in the scene are in place, I can see that will be *relatively* easy to implement.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  16. starmind001

starmind001

Nice. I will have to catch up later on this.

17. ExB

ExB

Hey guys, Sorry that it has been a little while since I've made a video. I was planning on making one today (My day off) but stuff came up! I hope to get to the next segment soon! maybe in a couple days when I get time. Sorry! If it's any consolation, I've already planned what is going into the next video and coded all of it and if I might say... It looks pretty good :). Its going to be firing missiles (In place of the bullets) which explode. If I have time at the end of the video I will try to squeeze in adding an asteroid!

18. starmind001

starmind001

Sounds great! Could you maybe do both missles and lasers(both duel and single lasers)? Like for a weapon change on pickup.

19. lusho_games

lusho_games

thanks for this ! great tutorial

20. Duskling

Duskling

please keep making these!

21. Scryer

Scryer

I couldn't help but notice that these tutorials stopped after two videos. Did something come up? I was going to get started but I don't know...

22. xzile40

xzile40

Great! At first I was like meh.. then I was like "I gotta make this."