Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sales numbers from the Mac App Store opening day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martin-Schultz, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Here's my sales numbers from the opening day of the Mac App Store:

93 sales of 4x4 Offroad Racing at 3.99$
    17 sales of Bubble Bang at 2.99$
    7 sales of Bubblez at 2.99$

Better than the predicted 5 sales that I had in mind. :)

What are your sales numbers?

2. Chimp Studios

Chimp Studios

3 sales of Light Quest at $9.99

That was worse than our predicted 5 sales :-(

We've slashed the price to $4.99, so if anyone wants to support us ;)

3. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Thanks for sharing the figures! It's good to get something 'real'.

Martin - 93 sales on the first day is awesome! I hope it continues for you, so that you can make more cool games :)

Cheers!
    Jeff.

4. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Thanks for sharing.

I would be curious to know how many OSX users even updated on Jan 6th
    I was never prompted by the updated and finally did it myself around 10pm.

I don't think the numbers are too discouraging though.
    Any one of your games at least stands a chance to be a standard download now though.
    It least it's not as bad as iPad opening day.
    I remember pouring my soul into getting my game ready for release only to find out that on opening day no one could even find my app.

5. Chimp Studios

Chimp Studios

6. Quietus2

Quietus2

One additional factor is that they tied it in with snow leopard. While I couldn't find any statistics, my hunch is there are a large number of mac's still running 10.5.x.

7. QFS

QFS

I'm glad you guys brought this up. I am curious, do sales level out and stay at consistent levels for a certain duration? Or do they hit a peak point and do a rapid drop within a short time period.

I mean I see you guys say predicted 5 sales, does that mean you predicted an average of 5 sales per day during the first month or so.

8. Chimp Studios

Chimp Studios

MacRumors.com just ran an article about sales figures.

9. MatthewW

MatthewW

Units sold for us, all of these are $2.99:

452 Blush
    128 Off-Road Velociraptor Safari
    101 Crane Wars
    13 Time Donkey

694 total units, $1,452 revenue after Apple's take.

Blush had a "new and noteworthy" placement, Crane Wars had a staff picks in the game section, and Raptor Safari appears to be climbing organically through word of mouth.

10. SquaxShaun

SquaxShaun

Good stuff ^^

11. yonek

yonek

Is Blush in top 100 overall ?

12. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Honestly I only expected 2-3 sales per app per day. We were joking on Skype and IRC with some developers at the launch day when 4x4 Offroad Racing was #9 game of all sales apps that it means 5 sales because only a few people at that time did download the OS-X update and got the Mac app store app. That was the story behind the predicted 5 sales... ;-)

The good thing is about the Mac App Store: It's additional money on top of the iOS sales money!

13. Bampf

Bampf

> The good thing is about the Mac App Store: It's additional money on top of the iOS sales money!

To be fair, it's not free money. You have to pay Apple a separate $99/year fee. That may seem like peanuts now, but that's also how it was when the iOS App Store first appeared. The more time goes by, the more competition and the harder its going to be to make back that $99.

14. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Sure, it's not free, but it's a different sales channel than iOS. But I agree, it will get harder, that's for sure!

15. JRavey

JRavey

What happened to all that business about code signing and such for Unity projects?

16. MatthewW

MatthewW

It's 51 overall right now (units sold, not grossing). Seems like there's a pretty steep spike in sales for the top 10, although that's always the case.

17. MatthewW

MatthewW

18. JRavey

JRavey

Thank you very much. That other thread went on and on and I kind of became lost.

19. seon

seon

We did 622 StuntMANIA sales on the 6th @ $4.99 before Apples cut. That's with no additional help via N&N or Staff Picks.

Better than I expected considering its going to be a slowish take-up of user base for 10.6.6

Our real test will be when StuntMANIA Reloaded gets approved as its leaps and bounds better than StuntMANIA, but it's also going to sit at a higher price point.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  20. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Thanks for sharing everyone! I hope to join these posts soonish. Congrats to everyone for their day one sales!

21. MuseGames

MuseGames

Guns of Icarus did 449 on the first day, so we're pretty happy.

@JRavey: Apple's normal codesigning tools work just fine with a Unity app; you just have to use the command-line 'codesign' rather than XCode. (Perhaps it's possible to do it through XCode as well, though, that's just how I ended up doing it.)

22. ezone

ezone

Galactic Gunner did 194 sales on day one (@ US$0.99). Thanks to all the hard work from the Unity devs and Matthew converting it from iOS to OSX only took one day. Nice incremental income and a total surprise how well it did. Be interesting to see the stats over the next few days.

23. Yorick2

Yorick2

Thanks everyone for the sales stats... greatly appreciated!

24. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Decane day #2 sales numbers:

4x4 Offroad Racing: 307
    Bubble Bang: 65
    Bubblez: 37

25. seon

seon

StuntMAINA sales for day #2: 709.
    We went up in sales which is awesome, but I am sure is just due to the excitement of the store opening.

26. ugur

ugur

Yeah, Stuntman Bob is selling well, too and yup, better on day 2 than on day 1, too. I see it as sort of a public beta because it is a spare time thing i do on weekends as hobby and was kinda sad one can´t write something like that on app store description pages, because i´d like people to know what they are buying there (which is in this case a game in constant progress rather than a polished refined one off thing), but yeah, it is still doing pretty nicely =)
    I expect the sales to not go that great overall anymore on the store after a while because it will surely get very crowded quickly but i´m very happy about it as long as it lasts and it has motivated me to push hard on making a nice update for the game right away =)
    So yeah, thanks to anyone buying the game =)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  27. ugur

ugur

And yeah, already said it in more private space before, wanted to say it again in public: A BIG THANKS to the UT fellas for making it possible that we all could get unity stuff up there, that was some really nice support push there =)

28. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Damn right - thanks to the UT guys. It was getting pretty close :-D

We did not pull a winner here. Sales on day 2 slowed down. But its still much better than current iOS sales for the same games, so cant complain.

29. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Sales on day #3:

4x4 Offroad: 364
    Bubble Bang:55
    Bubblez: 29

Currently all are at 0.99$ for a weekend sale.

30. Axel-F

Axel-F

My "Age of Tribes" - deep burried inside the iOS app store - got 220 sales @ 1.99$ yesterday and 258 sales @ 1.99$/0.99$ today. I'm very happy with this result. It even got featured in the games section - cooool!
    Nevertheless I lowered the price to 0.99$ in the late evening yesterday, I'm curious if this brings a better visibility in the charts. If not I will switch back to 1.99$. However, the new app store exceeds my expectations by far!
    Clickgamer will release my other game "Agents!" in a few days, I'm really curious how this will sell...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  31. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

yummi sales, makes me want to put something on the appstore myself

32. galent

galent

Congratulations folks!

33. BigB

BigB

so, back to the race to the bottom here too lol

34. seon

seon

No, not at all... we have kept StuntMANIA at our original $4.99 intro price this whole time and are seeing stellar sales and are still in the top 50 overall paid apps on the US store.

It might be an overall lower price point than what we used to sell at on our own site, but our sales number FAR exceeds the difference.

We are very very happy with the Mac App Store so far, and cant wait for our other games that are in the queue to get approved and launch on the store too.

35. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Same here. I lowered the prices to 0.99$ over the weekend and the result was that I went up a bit in the rankings, but had less net income than with higher prices. All games are back to higher prices since yesterday. But an interesting experiment for me.

36. Axel-F

Axel-F

I wonder if anyone else noticed about 30% less downloads yesterday (monday) by constant chart rankings? In fact my game is still climbing slowly the charts - but as said - downloads decreased noticeable (sunday: 290, monday: 205). I guess because it was maniac monday? :)

37. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

38. seon

seon

I think, just like the iTunes store, there are a few days of lower sales each week... days I assume will be different on Mac App Store as they would most likely be days when people spend less time in front of their computers... family time etc...

39. Axel-F

Axel-F

Mmhh, and again..a slightly better chart position then on monday but 15% less sales. I do not like this trend. It seems nobody is using a mac during working days? At least I do. ;)

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

they are using it but as your name implies "working days" ;)
    also people don't buy the same application 2-3 times you see ;)

and the most important fact is that apples DRM is a sick joke, independent of the platform, but on mac you don't need to jailbreak anything so the barrier is significantly lower than on iOS. But thats no mac specific thing, holds for any platform in the end, MS isn't banning millions of consoles per year for fun but to cut all mod chips from going ever online and updating again, yet play illegal copies online.

also what made me stop visiting it is that the store seems to be broken. The top list hasn't changed between 6th and 10th at all here, which just makes no sense at all.

41. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Slightly better than tuesday, around 266 $ net.

42. seon

seon

StuntMANIA stayed steady in sales and is still sitting in top 40 (currently #35) in US overall.

First few days were definitely a spike as the store was new, but we seem to have kept up fantastic sales since the start.

Piracy is always a problem on all platforms... I still believe that *most* that would pirate would not buy to begin with, so I don't count them as lost sales... just more marketing :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  43. seon

seon

We got a Staff Favourites listing today as well as some nice mini-ads on the store and StuntMANIA has now jumped to #21 overall on the Mac App Store in the US. Freaking awesome!

I have to say, seeing StuntMANIA so successful is really pleasing for us after so many years of continual development on the game.

I Can't wait to see what #21 equates to in sales numbers.

44. Yorick2

Yorick2

congrats! Thats great!

45. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Big grats on your fame and glory!!! May you become a billionaire :-D

46. seon

seon

Haha... ok, sales numbers are not that great. Will settle for paying the bills for now :)

47. Dreamora

Dreamora

hehe thats not that bad after all though, being able to pay the bills with the income in this fields is something that several thousand other devs would be happy to say ;)

48. seon

seon

I didn't mean to belittle paying the bills. It's a great motivation :)

Ok, so SM is currently doing better than paying the bills, but it's a far cry from allowing me to live the lifestyle I want to live ;)

49. seon

seon

Ok, so on the 14th, we were sitting at mid 20's on the US overall charts and brought in our highest sales numbers for a single day since launch... 1121 units.

By mid day on the 15th we had moved to #16 overall on the US charts and have held steady there since. I wont know what numbers we did on the 15th until later tonight my time (Australian time) but I am hoping for another significant increase in sales numbers due to the large jump in chart position.

BTW, for those that are new to this thread, these figures are not to brag, but to try to shed some insight into the type of numbers that need to be done/are done at different rankings on the store at the moment. Depends on which way you want to look at it. I would love to know what top 10 apps are yielding on the store in terms of numbers. I am sure the graph is exponential and not linear.

@Martin - Has being in New Noteworthy on the game section help increase sales numbers for you?

@Matthew - Has been given a top banner ad help you to increase your numbers significantly?

Anyone else want to share their success?

50. mehware

mehware

Seon, that's great, I love hearing these numbers on a new market. Congrats!