Search Unity

[50% OFF SALE] PlayMaker - Visual Scripting for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alex-Chouls, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Playmaker 1.6.0 is now live in the store!

Release Notes: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W311

This release introduces Custom Action Editors:

- Create custom editors for any action.
    - Create custom property drawers for Object variables.
    - Create interactive scene gizmos to edit action parameters.

This lets third party developers create better Playmaker integrations, and lets you customize Playmaker for your specific game or pipeline.

I think people will have quite a lot of fun with this :)

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. cel

cel

any news on the ouya front?

4. josemoreira

josemoreira

Can't wait to try those new cool features :)

Thanks Alex!

5. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Actually the developer working on OUYA samples and the OUYA Unity plugin uses Playmaker!

Check out this video developed with OUYA and Playmaker:

[video=youtube;g0sAKwcdx6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sAKwcdx6M&feature=plcp&list=PL4mjXeDqRBM TIc60JC-iBWWv4M73RBh9H

The plan is to include a Playmaker sample with the official OUYA unity plugin:
    https://github.com/ouya/ouya-unity-plugin

I don't think it will need a lot of custom actions, maybe just the SendMessage action to invoke the virtual controller buttons...

6. echo17

echo17

New SmoothMoves Playmaker action scripts!

Check out the links on my website here: http://www.echo17.com/smoothmoves.html in the "Extra Goodies" section.

There are two links:
    • Just the Playmaker action scripts which you can put into the Playmaker actions folder
    • Unity project containing the action scripts and example scenes. For this one, be sure you have a project with Playmaker and SmoothMoves already installed!

See this FAQ for more information.​

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Hello Alex, will there be a tutorial for the 1.6.0 Custom action editors ? I can't seem to grasp the use of the custom action editors.
    Are there any samples ?

8. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

There's a sample here, but it's more of a test editor, to just walk you through the API:
    https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1104

Have you copied this to a project and used it? It helps to understand the code if you see the output...

There are some samples in PlayMaker/Actions/Editor, but these deal mainly with implementing OnSceneGUI in a CustomActionEditor, letting you interactively edit action parameters in the Scene View.

9. nipoco

nipoco

A little webdemo for my new Asset Package. Build with Playmaker.

Playmaker is definitely one of the best investments I've ever made.

10. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks! Cool assets, love the hand-painted textures. You should have a link to the asset store product! ;)

11. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

I love Smooth Moves! And your video showing Smooth Moves + Playmaker is still one of my favorite tutorial videos:

[video=youtube;kAWeMfKdsNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWeMfKdsNc&feature=share&list=PL2D81DCDA7 3ABE877

12. josemoreira

josemoreira

Smooth moves and Playmaker, what a nice set of tools. IMO, the best tools available :)

I have a situation Alex, i think the action Set Color RGBA isn't working properly. (Or i'm blind and rusty LOL)
    Anyway, i have state generating random ints from 0 to 255, next state convert them into float, next state set those floats into Color RGB value (Set Color RGBA) and generate a color variable, next Set Background Color.

But it doesn't work, i have those variables in the inspector and they are working perfectly, the color variable also in the inspector turns to white and stay that way, rarely change to another color and then turn white again. Checking the color pallet of the camera background, well it contain very large numbers.

What am i doing wrong?

13. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Color channels use a float between 0 and 1. So use Random Float instead and you should be fine...

14. josemoreira

josemoreira

You are right, as usual :) Thanks!

15. panz3r

panz3r

I am looking to do some tcp/ip integration in my project and i am wondoering if in playmaker there are building blocks for raw tcp/ip communication
    Something like :
    connect to this ip on this port on tcp/udp
    send this data
    put here received data

16. Mikie

Mikie

Alex, do you know if the Android functions in Playmaker 1.6 work with 4.1.f1? In 3.5 they did not work for me.

17. Krileon

Krileon

Any chance there will ever be custom variables? For example public FsmMyVar testing; instead of FsmString, FsmInt, etc..

Also can you please provide screenshots of the 3 new usages in action instead of a simple script as am having a hard time grasping what the new features do exactly.

I'd also like to see variable groups. So for example I could have the below.

Variables: 2
    Text: Test1
    Value: 0
    Text: Test2
    Value: 1

Basically the same as using FsmString[] and other array based types except grouped together under the same index. Is this possible? Maybe is already possible? This would cause you to end up with the below for example.

Code (csharp):
    2. if ( items > 0 ) foreach ( int item in items ) {
    3.     Debug.Log( textStrings[item] );
    4.     Debug.Log( valueInts[item] );
    5. }
    I basically want to group together some variables in an array so I can have as many variable groups as needed.

I also tried the below, but it doesn't work as var1-3 won't save.

Code (csharp):
    2.     [System.Serializable]
    3.     public class CustomPlayMakerActionList {
    4.         public FsmString var1;
    5.         public FsmString var2;
    6.         public FsmString var3;
    7.     }
    9.     [ActionCategory("Testing")]
    10.     public class CustomPlayMakerAction : FsmStateAction {
    11.         public CustomPlayMakerActionList[] test;
    Any advice how to have this? Is it now possible with the new API implementations to extend the GUI to handle this? Is it just a GUI limitation or is some other factor making it not work? I really hope that something can be done or maybe implemented in the future (I'll gladly help in any way I can if not implemented yet).

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  18. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I am not aware of any custom actions for raw tcp/ip connection, but if you know a framework or library that does, get in touch with me and I'll integrate it so you can work with it. If not two library I know of:

Have you checked UniWeb? it has a socket.io example, and it looks like it supportst sockets and websockets.

A long time ago, I have worked with https://github.com/CreativeTechnology/socket.io-unity-client/pull/1 to create a pusher library and that did a good job, and it was working on Unity 3X where as uniweb only support unity4x. so you could have a go at that as well. It's not maintained anymore but still works.

If you can verify this is what you need or if you want to use another lib, then I'll build a playmaker proxy for this.

bye,

Jean

19. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Yes, this is already supported. It's called FsmVar

Working with it requires some work tho, but I wrote a PlayMakerUtils to deal with this so that using it in custom actions is simple.

If you want to see it in action, download ArrayMaker, most actions have been rewritten to use FsmVar:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W715

study for example "ArrayListAdd" and "ArrayListGet"

As for custom Class, it's all working pretty well, please go to the related post on the playmaker forurm a custom class test with both a regular class and a class that accepted Fsm var to show proper action ui controls even within custom class.

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=3979.0

Bye,

Jean

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. Krileon

Krileon

I don't see how this is custom variable types. FsmVar just provides a dropdown to select from a predefined list of variable types so an action variable can be 1 of those listed. I'm wanting to add a custom type all together so it can be used in globals, used to set a variable value in an action, etc.. basically extending the existing selection (int, string, etc..) with new ones. That way enums can be used as Fsm variables, etc.. As is for enums I translate an int to the enum that way I can control the value with an FsmValue; now I could make the public variable the enum, but then I can only set it directly in that action and not with an Fsm variable.

Will continue this discussion on the PlayMaker forums. Please see my reply.

21. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

22. GiusCo

GiusCo

Ok got this yesterday after tinkering a bit. Great tool, you should all know by now. Very well done, Alex.

Little time for this game development trade (I'm a hobbyist), so really hoping Playmaker will help me to make the most of it. I have several half-baked games needing love for original packing and release. My rationale is that sketching events with fsm a la Playmaker will speed up the coding.

23. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks! Be sure to join the Playmaker Forums :)

24. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Check out Pro Carrom Light made entirely with PlayMaker: WebPlayer

$screen_2.jpg

Follow the PlayMaker forum thread: here

25. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Cool work in progress, The Way, made with Playmaker:

[video=youtube;NeVK0-S9Kuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NeVK0-S9Kuo

Follow the PlayMaker forum thread: here

26. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Working on Playmaker support for Blackberry, Windows Store apps, and Windows Phone 8 apps! :)

27. willoneill

willoneill

Alex,

Bought PlayMaker a few days ago and absolutely love it! It is the tool that has taken Unity from indecipherable to completely awesome for me, and I can't thank you enough.

I found this thread while Googling for a way to do something in PM and found a post of yours from two years ago! I'm hoping this will still be a good place to ask about it.

Here's the situation, and you'll have to forgive me for any nonsense as I am not a coder: I want to create an FSM that -

1. Is triggered by hitting a key ("Z" for example) while inside a trigger box where the trigger box is. (Right now it just happens automatically when the player enters, I haven't found any tutorials in binding keys...)

2. Then fades the screen to black, and begins writing white text on it with a typewriter style (Right now I'm semi-doing this by fading the camera out, cutting to a camera in the middle of nowhere with a black BG, and then fading back in, and then just displaying some GUIText. I'm pretty sure this method is ridiculous)

3. Allows the player to advance through it quickly by pressing that same key ("Z"), preferably not through just accelerating the type, but by instantly displaying that section of it up to the next piece of punctuation (I can't figure out how to do anything like this at all)

4. At the end of the text (sometimes multiple pages, and I would love to control page breaks somehow) the camera then cuts back to the room, fades back in, whatever. Basically the game goes on, and the event can be repeated if the player hits "Z" again.

I don't know if what I'm asking here is really complex or hilariously simple, apologize if the former. If it would make any better sense of what I mean in terms of exactly how I want this text to display and be interfaced with by the player, what I'm actually trying to do is port and make a 3D version of my game Actual Sunlight (http://www.actualsunlight.com) - if nothing I've said up there makes any sense, feel free to just grab the demo. You'll basically see what I mean right off the bat in terms of how the whole game is basically interacting with objects and then just getting huge swaths of text about them - I essentially want that part of it to be exactly the same.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  28. Uttpd

Uttpd

The playmaker forum is your best resource:
    http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/

After checking the game over the greenlight page. Playmaker can cover all your needs, even do I did not follow all your questions there are extensive actions to control the camera and text (string to float int etc..). Look at it as objects instead off text or GUI and you can make them behave as you imagine with playmaker. Try to break your "problems" in the smallest part possible.
    and Welcome.

29. willoneill

willoneill

Thanks Uttp! I definitely like the spirit of your suggestion considering that the text I'm talking about is definitely the game content and not a part of its GUI, but up until now the GUI is the only way I've seen to display text on screen. I don't know what you mean by controlling text via 'string to float int etc.', though, but I will try to wrap my head around it... Unless you guys think I have absolutely no hope of doing so without a coding background, which I'm sure may be possible. :)

30. Uttpd

Uttpd

I don't know coding myself, in fact before using Playmaker I couldn't follow basic terminology like "string" " int" " float" etc (a string being a piece of text and a int is a integral number). So taking from me you don't need to know any prior coding :)
    check this channel for tutorial videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HutongGamesLLC

PS: I also use 2dToolkit to mange all my 2d sprite needs. wish I found invaluable as with playmaker.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  31. josemoreira

josemoreira

Hi Alex! How is the support for BB and WP8? Any ETA? :)

32. Mikie

Mikie

So, Alex. Does 1.6 work with 4.2? Official word. Still down loading.

33. BTStone

BTStone

I'm using the latest PM version with 4.2, no probles so far :)

34. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

The current version of Playmaker should work fine with 4.2. You might come across some warnings about obsolete commands, but they still work okay. The next update will fix those warnings...

35. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Support for the new platforms in 4.2 is in beta now :)
    Hoping to get them out early next week...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  36. josemoreira

josemoreira

Awesome!!!! Alex Chouls and Playmaker rocking all the time :cool:

37. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks! The PlayMaker community is the best! :D

Didn't quite make it out of beta last week - but should be released this week...

38. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

39. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Thanks for making this types of tool.it's awesome.

40. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks! :D

41. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Playmaker 1.7.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store, should be up soon hopefully!

BlackBerry support for Unity 4.2 has also been submitted as a PlayMaker Add-On for $20.
    Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store Apps Add-Ons should also be out soon...

The BlackBerry Add-On is also available on our online store now:
    http://hutonggames.com/store.html

42. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Playmaker 1.7.0 is now live in the Asset Store.

Also the Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry10 Add-Ons are up in our store:
    http://hutonggames.com/store.html

It's going to take a little longer to get the Add-Ons into the Asset Store...

43. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

44. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

The Playmaker Windows Phone 8 Add-On is now in the Asset Store:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10602

I also wanted to clarify our Add-Ons plan:

Free updates and support are not going away. We've released major free updates for over 2 and half years and will continue to do so. But as PlayMaker/Unity grows this approach becomes less sustainable. With the Add-On model we're trying to keep the base price low while growing PlayMaker in a sustainable way.

Add-ons won't always line up with Unity's pricing model - we'll offer free support for platforms and features as best we can (e.g., iOS, Android, XBOX, PS3, Wii, Mecanim, Pathfinding...). We also make many free Add-Ons for other third party extensions. Our main priority with Add-Ons is to keep PlayMaker affordable while continuing to grow the product so we have the best tool out there.

More specifically, the Add-Ons for BlackBerry, Windows Phone 8, and Windows Store Apps represent a significant investment in development, hardware and ongoing support. We believe offering them as dedicated products with free updates and support is the way to go.

We look forward to seeing you publish your games made with PlayMaker on these exciting new platforms! :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  45. SteveB

SteveB

Heck Alex, I'm waiting on Playmaker 2.0 that I have to pay for; you of course need to monetize, and the more money you make, the more robust it becomes and the more we benefit.

Do yo thang! :D

-Steven

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think paying for the add-ons with the prices they have is very reasonable,
    I would love to see the core playmaker updates free forever.

Paying for expansions yes I would be happy to pay for some great actions for example.

47. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks! Playmaker 2.0 is still a ways off... but we have some very cool stuff in r&d :)

48. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

There are lots of very cool (free) updates still in the works for Playmaker :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  49. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

50. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Another cool update for Psave Pseudoburger, a point and click adventure being developed with PlayMaker:

[video=youtube;4ifwQE80R2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifwQE80R2Q&feature=player_embedded