Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Geenz's RNM shaders: Now released!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Geenz, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Geenz

Geenz

GzRNM is a set of shaders that allows for the use of "Radiosity Normal Maps" in Unity 3D. Radiosity Normal Maps, ore more appropriately Directional Light Maps, are a kind of light map that allows for the use of normal mapping with static illumination. RNMs are baked in an external 3D application such as Maya, Blender, or Modo, using special texture maps called basis maps that are used as normal maps.

More information on RNMs can be found here: http://www.snowcatsolutions.com/index.php/news/comments/why-use-rnms

These shaders SHOULD NOT be used for dynamic character illumination. They are only intended for static environment lighting, and very limited dynamic lighting.

GzRNMPro v.1.1.1 is released.
    This new version of GzRNMPro includes much more accurate basis maps.
    v.1.1.1 Changes:
    • Much more accurate basis maps stored as 32-bit EXRs
    • Also included is the source PSD for the basis maps in the event you require the basis maps in a different format

v.1.1 Changes:
    • Refactored alot of code to share from a single .cginc. This will help in the future to bring about even more variants of the shader in the future (such as refractive, rim lit, and so on)
    • Created both transparent and alpha cutout variants of the shaders. All shaders have variants of these techniques. Transparency and alpha cut out works exactly like Unity's stock shaders.
    • Optimized the mobile SSBump CRNM shader a bit more. Dynamic lighting should be a bit faster (but should still be used _VERY_ sparingly).
    • Fixed a bug in the specular variants in some of the CRNM shaders. Diffuse illumination was not using SSBumps, but the shader's normal map instead.
    • Added a PC/Mac-specific version of the SSBump CRNM shader. This shader uses the supplied SSBump map for diffuse shading.
    • Created a new tool called CRNM Merger. This tool takes 3 RNM maps, and merges them into a UDK-style CRNM; complete with normalized averaged light color map for use with the CRNM shaders.
    • Created a new tool called SSBump Converter. This tool allows you to create SSBumps from normal maps imported into unity, and converts SSBumps created in SSBump Generator for use in Unity. This tool is in its first release, and has much more functionality planned for it.
    • Changed the behaviour of SSBump maps in the shaders. They now expect OpenGL-style SSBumps (that is, SSBumpmaps that use right handed coordinates). Use SSBump Converter to generate the appropriate SSBumps.
    • This is our first release that includes documentation for Maya and Modo from local forum resident The3DNinja. Although the documentation and tutorials are targeted for Maya and Modo, the concepts are fairly universal to other 3D modeling applications. Thanks Wes!
    • Starting with this release, shaders, documentation, and example content will be distributed separately.
    • GzRNMBasic is no longer available for purchase.
    • Probably a few extra additions and fixes that I've probably forgotten.
    All existing customers recieve this update free of charge. New customers may purchase the package here: http://j.mp/gUrBHM
    Maya and Modo documentation can be found here: http://j.mp/h01jHh
    Example scenes for baking RNMs in Maya and Modo are here: http://j.mp/hIg01e
    The example Unity3D project may be found here: http://j.mp/eEyG0O

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. wesrm

wesrm

Awesome!!! I've been waiting for these shaders to release. Thank you for this amazing contribution. I can definitely say that these shaders are top-notch, worth every penny and a must have for iOS developers (GzCRNMSSBump Rocks!).

Thanks Geenz!

-Wes

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome :) YAY Awesome

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great, i'd like to buy the propackage!. but i don't know which of those shaders are working on the iOS?
    is it possible to fake light with a texture map instead of using dynamic lights? Cause dynamic lights take to much performance. sorry for my nooby questions

5. simone007

simone007

Can you please post some screenshots with an example?

6. francksitbon

francksitbon

Hi i'm interested by your product, does normal maps works on ipad ? Standard Normal maps are really slow. do you have some video on Youtube ?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes some or one of them work for ipad. They are sure OpenGL ES 2.0 Shader. So not working on ES 1.1!!
    Questions is, which of those on the list above are working on iOS based devices! =)
    And how are they working? with a light texture trick or just with real dynamic lights? Cause only one dynamic light on a iphone/ipad would be a performace killer. And for noobs like us - we would need a small documentation of the shaders.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

lightmaps like those which are baked like in beast? i am wondering about the light effect shining on a bump shader when the object rotates. like the characters of "infitiy blade" from epic games. that's what makes me confusing and that's what i need for iOS devices.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  10. wesrm

wesrm

Hi,

I am currently working the full documentation and tutorial for the GzRNM shader package. In the meantime, I'd be happy to help answer some questions : )

@Antigollos @francksitbon The shader that works with the iDevices is GzCRNMSSBump. It is a lightweight shader designed for mobile and uses a compressed RNM map, which is referred to as CRNM. This shader is only available in the PRO version package and it uses a Self-Shadowing Bump Map instead of Normal Map to create detail.

A Self-Shadow Bump map combines a normal map with ambient occlusion to produce a directional ambient occlusion effect which causes ambient and direct lighting either through dynamic lights or lighting stored in the light map, that is arriving from different directions to be darkened when the light that would have been blocked by the self-shadowing effects of the surface.

You don't need dynamic lights in your scene to get the surface detail from the SSBump map detail. This GzCRNMSSBump shader utilizes a set of combined directional components that is output to single texture based of the RNM basis vectors. This CRNM texture encodes light intensity, which is used to reproduce light intensity and direction which is also effected by the SSBump map. You then combine this with a lightmap that encodes color, which can be stored at a fraction of the size of the CRNM map (Great for iOS) and you have your scene's lighting reconstructed without dynamic lights! It's the same pre-computed lighting technique that you see in Infinity Blade as you mentioned.

It may sound a bit complicated at this point, but it's actually quite easy to setup and get the shader working. As I mentioned, I'm working on the documentation and a tutorial on how everything works.

Hope this helps!

-Wes

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes that helped alot to understand that i am on the right path for my desired iOS effect =D
    cool! i will buy the package in the next couple of days.
    i also can't await your documentation on this!!! BIG THNX for doing it!!!

that's so cooooool :D

12. Geenz

Geenz

UDK's "simple" lightmaps that they use on iOS are literally just lightmaps with normal map shading baked in, and are made to brighten the surface they effect twice. There's nothing really special about them, hell, Beast can generate them just by accepting normal maps as inputs for their shading. If you ever take a look at UDK Mobile's lightmaps, you'll notice they kinda look like crap unless you increase the resolution.

The only thing particularly special about UDK's lighting pipeline on, is their character lighting. It's effectively the same system they use on the PC, only with simplified shaders.

Anyways, for anyone looking for more images of my shaders in action, you can find some images on flickr:
    You can start peeking about with the Mobile SSBump and CRNM shader.

My CRNM shaders are closer to UDK's directional lightmaps. If you take a look at the assets in UDK's maps, they have these "DirectionalMaxComponent" lightmaps, and these "NormalizedAverageColor" maps. Coincidentally, my CRNMs use the same kind of textures to achieve their effects (I didn't realize they were effectively the same technique until I actually bothered to poke about in one of UDK's map assets).

On the PC, my CRNM Indirect Specular shaders are quite close to UDK's built in lightmap shaders. For mobile, Wes is correct in stating that the CRNM SSBump shader is optimized for mobile. It takes far less instructions than any of the other shaders. If you need indirect specular on iOS, I'm currently devising an efficient way to handle specular on iOS. If you absolutely need specular from dynamic lights, then you can try using the CRNM SSBump Direct Specular shader, though I make no garauntees that it'll perform well on third and fourth-gen iDevices.

13. Geenz

Geenz

Also, a quick note about people who purchase either package: There will be updates coming soon. Updates that may include additional tools and the like to make creating and using RNMs and CRNMs easier. Anyone who purchases either the GzRNMBasic or GzRNMPro packages will recieve access to these updates.

14. Geenz

Geenz

Just a quick update on what's planned for the first update:
    • GzRNMPro will have the first release of my own CRNM maker. This utility will create a UDK-style directional lightmap, and an accompanying normalized light color map. Note: This does not bake CRNMs in Unity. This takes pre-existing RNMs and merges them into a single directional lightmap, and creates a normalized averaged light color map.
    • GzRNMBasic and Pro will be receiving a new utility to assist in importing RNMs into Unity.
    • More shader permutations! Cutout and (hopefully) transparent variations will be coming in this update.
    • A few updates to the shaders prepare the shaders a bit for future functionality.

This update will be free to anyone who purchases GzRNMPro or GzRNMBasic.

15. wesrm

wesrm

Here's a quick screen shot of a concrete column that is part of the game asset, which will be included in the documentation. This example uses the CRNM Bump Indirect Specular shader.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  16. francksitbon

francksitbon

concerning the mobile bump shader, I'm not convinced by the pictures on flicker, seems that CRNM Diffuse more bumped than SSBump CRNM Mobile. is there a way to test it ? perhaps could you post a video showing more the difference...

17. Geenz

Geenz

SSBumps are odd in the sense that you have to be very careful with how you generate them in SSBump Generator. SSBump Generator gives you the option to either convert normals into RNM basis normals, or create directional occlusion that are stored in the RNM basis that can be used for self shadowing (thus the name Self Shadowed Bump Map), or blend between the two. In the example on my flickr, I used a mix between the two. Here's a better example showing a SSBump encoded with nothing but directional occlusion with dynamic light sources:

There is no 100% fool proof way to make great looking SSBumps. It's a process that mostly consists of knowing what to look for in a "good" SSBump map.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  18. Geenz

Geenz

For the holiday season, the GzRNMPro package is on sale until new years for $40! You can purchase the discounted shaders here: http://bit.ly/dOu72G

19. Geenz

Geenz

Just for an example of what the mobile SSBump shader can do, I've decided to put this post together to show off a few different SSBumps, and how they look with the shader. These examples use the next version of the shader that will be released with the first update (which is approximately 1 week from now), which introduces an SSBump multiplier (controls the brightness of the SSBump, which may be needed to achieve the correct appearance when using SSBump normals).

The SSBumps generated for each example were generated in SSBump Generator 5.3.

This first example only used a normal map as input, with the SSBump Soft Lighting setting. The normal map was generated with a height scale of 20. The shader uses an SSBump scale of 2.
    SSBump map:

Screenshot with dynamic and static lighting:

Screenshot using a regular normal map with the CRNM Bumped Diffuse shader:

This next example uses a heightmap as input for an SSBump's AO. It only uses AO. It was generated with an AO radius of 0.02, and a height scale of 1.50. The shader has an SSBump scale of 1.
    SSBump map:

This last example shows what happens when we combine the two, both at full intensity in SSBump Generator's editor. The shader uses an SSBump scale of 2.
    SSBump map:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  20. francksitbon

francksitbon

Really nice! Is the effect static on iOS? If the lights are linked to the player, do they affect the bump in real time ? Can it be combined to the unity lightmapping tool ? (.EXR generated map). Thanks for the special price, but I need to know if your tool is useful for my iOS project.

21. francksitbon

francksitbon

ok I bought your shaders but it seems useless for my project.
    It needs to build with openGl 2.0 to work on iPad to get your shader work. and i get almost same frame with the ultra light bumped diffuse than with standard normal maps : 5fps on a simple square. (30 fps with 50000 zbrush mesh build with openGL 1.1 standard diffuse shader)
    Meanwhile, how do i generate Compressed RNM maps from my zbrush normal map ?

22. francksitbon

francksitbon

meanwhile the lightning doesnot affect the bump properly, when i move my light, the lightning is always on the same direction.
    (I just dragged my normal maps in the self-shadowed slot)

23. 3Duaun

3Duaun

hmmmm. I purchased the shaders too, and really need this for iOS ONLY. I hope additional acceleration arrives soon if possible. Thanks Geenz!

24. francksitbon

francksitbon

does it work at a nice frame rate for you Zhx? I wonder if it is a Unity problem. seems there are normal maps on the Epic Citadel project.

25. Geenz

Geenz

UDK uses what Epic calls "Simple Light Maps". They're literally just simple lightmaps that have normal map shading baked into the lightmap. There's nothing particularly special about them. Though they're baked at such a resolution, that if you look at them without diffuse maps, they look horrid.

As far as dynamic lighting, I wouldn't recommend it on iOS. It really kills performance with or without my shaders (unless you're using per-vertex lighting).

These shaders are intended for baked lighting generated outside of Unity. There's tutorials coming soon that demonstrate how to use external packages with the shaders, along with utilities for both Unity and external 3D modeling apps to bring lightmaps into Unity.

I'm working to see if I can manage to create a fixed-function variant of the CRNM SSBump shader for additional performance on iOS, and possibly support for earlier iOS devices (such as the iPhone 3G).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  26. Geenz

Geenz

You cannot use a normal map as a self-shadowed bump map. You _must_ use a self-shadowed bump map. You can generate self-shadowed bump maps with this: http://ssbump-generator.yolasite.com/

A rudimentary tool for converting normal maps into SSBumps will be included in the next update.

27. francksitbon

francksitbon

It would be nice to have the equivalent of epic in unity. The lightmapping tool is nice, but the textures are flat without bump. It would be nice to create a tool that bakes lightmapping generated texture + bump in one texture.

28. prime31

prime31

@Geenz, looks damn nice. Is there (or will there be) any documentation/tutorials for Blender?

29. Geenz

Geenz

On that note...

GzRNMPro v.1.1 is released.
    This new version of GzRNMPro includes new shader variants for alpha cutout, and transparent surfaces for all shaders!
    Changes:
    • Refactored alot of code to share from a single .cginc. This will help in the future to bring about even more variants of the shader in the future (such as refractive, rim lit, and so on)
    • Created both transparent and alpha cutout variants of the shaders. All shaders have variants of these techniques. Transparency and alpha cut out works exactly like Unity's stock shaders.
    • Optimized the mobile SSBump CRNM shader a bit more. Dynamic lighting should be a bit faster (but should still be used _VERY_ sparingly).
    • Fixed a bug in the specular variants in some of the CRNM shaders. Diffuse illumination was not using SSBumps, but the shader's normal map instead.
    • Added a PC/Mac-specific version of the SSBump CRNM shader. This shader uses the supplied SSBump map for diffuse shading.
    • Created a new tool called CRNM Merger. This tool takes 3 RNM maps, and merges them into a UDK-style CRNM; complete with normalized averaged light color map for use with the CRNM shaders.
    • Created a new tool called SSBump Converter. This tool allows you to create SSBumps from normal maps imported into unity, and converts SSBumps created in SSBump Generator for use in Unity. This tool is in its first release, and has much more functionality planned for it.
    • Changed the behaviour of SSBump maps in the shaders. They now expect OpenGL-style SSBumps (that is, SSBumpmaps that use right handed coordinates). Use SSBump Converter to generate the appropriate SSBumps.
    • This is our first release that includes documentation for Maya and Modo from local forum resident wesm. Although the documentation and tutorials are targeted for Maya and Modo, the concepts are fairly universal to other 3D modeling applications. Thanks Wes!
    • Starting with this release, shaders, documentation, and example content will be distributed separately.
    • GzRNMBasic is no longer available for purchase.
    • Probably a few extra additions and fixes that I've probably forgotten.
    All existing customers recieve this update free of charge. New customers may purchase the package here: http://j.mp/gUrBHM
    Maya and Modo documentation can be found here: http://j.mp/h01jHh
    Example scenes for baking RNMs in Maya and Modo are here: http://j.mp/hIg01e
    The example Unity3D project may be found here: http://j.mp/eEyG0O

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  30. 3Duaun

3Duaun

thanks for the fixes, hope some more speed can be gotten on iOS with your awesome shaders! Amongst the best Unity shaders out there IMO. Thank you Geenz.

Any word on the status on a Blender3D tutorial on RNM generation?

EDIT: Thanks for the Blender documentation update!! I'm sooo glad I grabbed your awesome shaders. Glad I was able to buy them directly from you too.

31. Geenz

Geenz

Blender is next on the list of 3D apps to document.

32. francksitbon

francksitbon

33. LittleBigKebab

LittleBigKebab

Aaaah finally !
    Here's a little tutorial sorta i wrote sometime ago, for those who want to generate RNM with Max/Vray.
    It's pretty simple indeed, though it would need a bit of maxscript to automate the process.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71538
    (at the end of the thread)
    I'd like to have more info on the maths you do to get the normalized lightmap color, as this was where i failed (i bought your pack)
    I'm not a tech though, i only have a poor cg artist brain.
    Thanks !

34. Geenz

Geenz

The framerate shouldn't be dropping (the only significant parts of that shader that were touched were the dynamic lighting portions). Are you using dynamic lighting? Dynamic per-pixel lighting on iOS has to be used very sparingly, with or without my shaders. The RNM shaders are intended for static lighting more than anything. The best I can do for dynamic lighting on iOS for optimal performance, is provide a vertex lit variation of the shader in the next version. However, if all you want is dynamic bump mapped lighting with specular, you're better off just using Unity's built in Bumped Specular shader.

35. Geenz

Geenz

We're looking into how things can be automated in 3D packages. The eventual goal of this project is to have complete automation between Unity and external 3D applications (and possibly external lightmapping tools in general).

36. 3Duaun

3Duaun

OSX 10.6.5, Unity iOS pro
    I'm getting an editor error when processing an SSBump(from a normal map). the error is as follows:

Unable to retrieve image reference
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels()
    GzSSBumpConverterUtil:FlattenSSBump(Texture2D, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterUtil.cs:28)
    GzSSBumpConverterGUI:OnWizardCreate() (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterGUI.cs:20)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

37. LittleBigKebab

LittleBigKebab

Ok nevermind my questions, it's all in the scripts.
    I guess i'll be able to do my own mixture from it.

Other lead : normalized lightmap color can be baked in vertex color for even more optimization.
    I wonder if there's enough vertex data to store RNM and color directly in vertices. No need for bitmaps then, which could be useful for tiny static objects with lot of tris.

38. wesrm

wesrm

Hey Mike!

Checkout the documentation walkthrough for modo and Maya. Rendering the RNM maps isn't difficult. It basically comes down to adding the RNM Basis maps as a normal map on you object and baking. Once you see the process for modo or Maya, you'll be able to translate this over to Blender.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Wes

39. Geenz

Geenz

There will be a special update for the RNM basis maps soon. I'm currently experimenting with them to provide much more accurate baking results.

40. LittleBigKebab

LittleBigKebab

mmh yeah you could start by making them in 32 bits:p

Could you provide the sample scene in Unity, with the .exr RNM please ?
    I'm on holydays, i don't have all my tools to generate them.

I've made a screenshot from your pdf of each lightmap and tried to get the normalized color with your tool but it looks very darker. Then i tried the autocolor in photoshop but that's not really close either. But since i don't have 32 bits files, i can't be sure.

Also for the basis maps, here is what i get

X {sqrt (2/3) , 0 , 1/sqrt 3
    Y {-1/sqrt 6 , 1/sqrt 2 , 1 / sqrt 3 }
    Z {-1/sqrt 6 , -1/sqrt 2 , 1/sqrt 3 }

once normalized to 0 - 1 (+1, and /2) gives :

X/red

Y/green

Z/blue

I don't think we use the same colors. How did you normalize yours ?
    I think my results are accurate though, it gives pretty much the same thing than a global baking (in 3dsmax though)

41. Geenz

Geenz

The basis maps we use now were more or less ganked from another package. The numbers you posted are the numbers I've come to for the next update (I basically calculated the basis by hand, added 1, and divided by 2 for the appropriate vector).

42. 3Duaun

3Duaun

any word on a fix for the broken SSBump converter i'm reported a few posts ago?

43. francksitbon

francksitbon

Hi, I don't know if i used them properly, i checked the static box off each light in the inspector.
    the lights don't move neither the objects, and the frame-rate is still low with the bump.
    I don't see how your ultralight bump shader can be used on iOS

44. Geenz

Geenz

...Then you're probably not using them right. This shader uses lightmaps baked in a 3D application such as Maya or Blender in a specific way.

zhx: I've looked into it. Can you provide a step by step reproduction case?

45. francksitbon

francksitbon

Are you telling me that I should not have any lights in my scene, and the bump map is illuminated by the illumination map ?

46. Geenz

Geenz

That's pretty much what radiosity normal mapping does.

47. francksitbon

francksitbon

ok i deactivated all lights and put a lightmap in the ultralight shader, but nothing happens the object is dark. Meanwhile, the framerate, is about 7fps... :(

48. Geenz

Geenz

I'd suggest reading through the documentation that can be found here:
    http://j.mp/h01jHh

The concepts found there can be applied and repurposed to most workflows. It does cover what RNMs are, how they're used in the shader, and how they're generated.

49. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I'm trying to find the foundation for the error, but I'm definitely having repeatable issued processing ssBumps :-(. I'll report the bug on my end as soon as I can track it down, soon hopefully, cant wait to get the most out of the shaders! :)

50. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Her are the steps that are repeatedly presenting me an error when (I attempt)creating an SSBump map with the SSBump Converter utility:

1: launch the "SSBump converter" from the utilities menu
    2: In the "normal" field, select from the assets folder, the normal map I want to convert(I've already generated the normal map in blender).
    3: Then Click "create" in the SSBump converter utility. (NOTE: I'm NOT selecting the "made in SSBump generator" checkbox as the Normalmap wasn't created in SSBump Generator.)

I then wait a few seconds, then get 2 errors each time. One error on line 27, and another error on line 28 within GzSSBumpConverterUtil.cs:

Code (csharp):
    1. Unable to retrieve image reference
    2. UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels()
    3. GzSSBumpConverterUtil:FlattenSSBump(Texture2D, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterUtil.cs:27)
    4. GzSSBumpConverterGUI:OnWizardCreate() (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterGUI.cs:20)
    5. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    Code (csharp):
    1. Unable to retrieve image reference
    2. UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels()
    3. GzSSBumpConverterUtil:FlattenSSBump(Texture2D, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterUtil.cs:28)
    4. GzSSBumpConverterGUI:OnWizardCreate() (at Assets/Editor/GzRNMTools/GzSSBumpConverter/GzSSBumpConverterGUI.cs:20)
    5. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    P.S. does the normal map HAVE to be in EXR format? will the converter still work with 8bit normal maps? I can export EXR's, but dont unless floating point color is required.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010