Search Unity

mazemaker (webplayer demo)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by drazil austin, Dec 21, 2010.

1. drazil austin

drazil austin

i am still working on it and when its done it will be able to store mazes in a database but i wanted to get opinions on the game im currently working on.

if you play it please give me feedback.
    http://drazilgames.com/games.php?game=mazemaker

2. Thetal

Thetal

Add any texture to the wall. And put some "color walls" option - so maze walls would be different in different parts of the maze (if maze builder decide to alter them). Also add option to place some objects other then walls - like statue in the center of the maze. Or "You are getting close!" sign. Etc.

Add ability to share built maze - wirelessly on Android/IPhone or facebook - and this could grow into a commercially successful game. IMHO.

3. drazil austin

drazil austin

i have already made a mazemaker game before on http://mazemaker.vndv.com this is more a remake except way better and real 3d not a fake 3d like i did before. as for the textures there is no textures on the builder but there are textures on the play option if you save it. i wanted to make it easy to see if there is a wall or not in the builder so i used colors instead of textures.

4. lonerider3000

lonerider3000

looks amazing. would you be willing to share the code?

5. devans770

devans770

Nice. Was able to make myself a maze and play it through. Would be great to have a maze generator. There is a c# project you can download from csharpcorner that generates random mazes (Requires registration). should be able to re-use the maze class to generate random mazes.

Found an obscure bug. If you disable the mouse (lock) and then complete the maze you cant see the mouse in order to select from the menu.

6. drazil austin

drazil austin

yeah im already aware of that bug. the mouse lock was really more for just me.

im not sure i want to share the whole code (still working on the game) but i will share how the mazes are saved and the basic idea of the code.

the code saves it as a string that looks like this
    "0,1,2,2,1011,1001,1101"

when it generates the maze it splits the string (at the , ) into an array. the first 2 are your start position and the second 2 are the end position. when generated it would look something like this

1S11
    11F1

with s as the start point and f as the end point.

as for the random mazes thing i may add that. but the idea is that the users will make the mazes. it will save the mazes to a database so anyone can play any other persons maze. my mazemaker.vndv.com site stayed alive for a while (by just a few users) then it got old (cause it sucked) this one however is run and displayed with unity and not images.

7. trooper

trooper

Hold down mouse button to place a line of walls?

Just make sure when you cross over the path of an already created wall and you're placing new ones it doesn't delete it... like the scheduling blocks in uTorrent.

8. drazil austin

drazil austin

i use the OnMouseDown function so im not sure how i would do something like that... but that is a good idea.

9. PolyMad

PolyMad

This web page is not available.

10. drazil austin

drazil austin

the site should be working now

11. drazil austin

drazil austin

i plan to edit this game live at 5:30 eastern today if anyone is interested (im probably not that interesting)

http://livestream.com/drazil

12. drazil austin

drazil austin

i updated the demo file. i added gates to the game. how are they?

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

The gates make it fun, but the problem is that the maze is too small - it's easy to get to the red "goal" section. If the maze area could be expanded, that would really help.

Also, an idea is if your camera is looking at something, identify it for the player - when I saw the dots, I didn't know what they were for a few minutes until I figured out they toggle a gate. When I saw the "goal", and went through it, I also got no feedback that I completed the maze - I thought it was a teleporter to the start for about five minutes, until it dawned on me that it might be the goal point.

Good start on this, though!

14. drazil austin

drazil austin

sorry. this is an update that i sectioned off to the updated part (was not trying to make a hard maze just wanted to test gates). the rest of the game lets you build your own mazes (gates not implamented in the building scene yet). as for not doing anything it is suposed to just return to scene 0 which is (or in this versions case was) a menu.

15. drazil austin

drazil austin

i updated the demo with a much better one