Search Unity

Multi-core physics

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by bigkahuna, Dec 20, 2010.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Any hope for multi-core support for the physics engine? Seems such a waste to have to minimize physics in a game because Unity maxes out one core while the others idle helplessly.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

To add on the maxing out: any hope that the buggy cpu affinity code in Unity finally gets removed. Reported it already with 2.1 and even 3.1 still hard locks itself against cpu 0 until you forcefully remove the processes right to use it through the process manager processor affinity dialog

3. Quietus2

Quietus2

As there is a native osX PhysX library now...

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

That doesn't change anything, its now officially out yeah but Unity already used native osx physx library before. The library is likely the same and just as not GPU accelerated as always
    Its not like the library hinders unity to use multithreading physx, its unity that does not use it / forcefully prevent it from doing it.

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Does Unity take advantage of the GPU at all? My dev machine has an nVidia graphics board that supposedly includes physics acceleration, but when I watch the CPU load it definitely maxes out that single CPU when physics processes are involved. Thus leading me to suspect that Unity doesn't use the GPU for anything but graphics.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

No it does not take advantage.
    Thats not possible, to take advantage they can't use the source based one, they would need to use the precompiled one.

And even then its only gpu accelerated on windows on NVIDIA GeForce 8300 and newer with CUDA enabled drivers installed and CUDA enabled

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

My principal concern is Windows so I would be happy if only Windows builds supported it, but I'm probably in the minority here in that opinion.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

pretty surely, yes.
    Also, principal concern windows: what does it help if 70% of the users+ won't get hw acceleration?
    Multithreading is 10 folds more important and would be more than enough for the features we have from physx

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

On "certain" projects I might be able to specify that the game will only run "well" if a PhysX GPU is used. Not likely UT would go that route, but I'm desperate to get better physics performance.

True and thus more likely the way UT might go.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Think so too.
    Also multithread will happen, its not a matter of if, but when. Cause otherwise UT will never enable developers to release a single disk game for PS3 or XBox 360 as neither of them will accept an engine thats unable to use 70% of the hardware due to a fundamental flaw by any halfway current middleware base requirement

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

12. sawfish

sawfish

How can Unity currently market itself as PS3 or 360 compatible if it DOESN'T use all the cores?

Isn't that misleading?

13. dissidently

dissidently

Have spent my max 3 votes on the wishlist post.
    @sawfish... keep poking. You'll find literally dozens of major features misleadingly represented in this manner. It's "the Unity way".

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

I would assume along the development for exactly that platforms UT is working on this shortcoming (for these and for the dual core mobiles where not having it is a major problem as the mobile cpus don't get faster but more parallel in 2011) and I've good hope that it will lead to solving it on other platforms too.

15. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I disagree, and if this is the way you feel, why use the engine?

16. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Actually you don't need cuda for gpu accelerated physx. Just the physx driver.

17. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

True, but have you tried running physx on a card without cuda, let me tell you how funny it is... ALOT.

PS: I agree with this request!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011