Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beginner Guide To Unity Thread - What It Takes To Get A Running Start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ippdev, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ippdev

ippdev

n0mad started a thread with pertinent points about the flooding of forums with new user questions pushing topics down page that could use some serious answers. This thread, I hope, will be a repository of short snippets of code and what-to-do-when such and such happens, such as console warnings, where such threads can be given this link and killed with the result that the original questioner will be greatly enlightened and go on to help in the more serious threads that may need several heads banging a keyboard to solve. Kind of like a GPU gems pocketbook of tips, snippets of code and such to get you up and running.

To start with there is this excellent thread on how to understand and use Unity's version of JavaScript.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34015-Newbie-guide-to-Unity-Javascript-(long)

Which will allow you to look at scripts and code snippets and understand the syntax, or what they are "telling" the game/application to do or store in memory, retrieve from memory, set a value, get a value and what each of the value types are.

Basic granular scripts are probably the best and that way beginners can stack scripts and adjust Inspector variables to get a feel for what does what and be able to achieve more complex specific behaviours.

Thx
    BTH

2. n0mad

n0mad

That's a great idea :)

I'll make sure to feed it, thanks.

Here we go, a summary of all the different useful personal tips I learned since I jumped into Unity (jan 2009). That's not really a starting guide, but it could help people who didn't see this stuff (as those people might be more newcomers than vets, indeed).

Also, these topics are not out-of-the-box code snippets, which is why I didn't submit it elsewhere. It's mostly guidelines, tip sharing, and other tutorials.

iOS specific : Alphatesting not recommended at all.

All platforms : the power of Coroutines.

Performance optimization by using structs and static typing.

Very fast method to create 1 texture from multiple bitmaps.

How to pause a game : the coroutine way.

Editor script : how to generate mirror clips of your FBX animation.

Warning about CombineInstance class, not combining bindposes.

Faster Animation Clips loading times

Will feed it more over time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Great idea with this thread. To help out in that category, I've posted a link below to our Free Unity Video Training Series. This is a wonderful place to start learning and is directed towards the Artist, Designer, and aspiring game developer. It's a great video series for those looking to become a pro at Unity and JavaScripting, one step at a time. :)

• Unity 3 Software and Tools - from the ground up
    • Unity JavaScript - code training for the artist
    • Unity Api - how to read, write and use code

4. ippdev

ippdev

This thread is a serious thread about creating MMO styled game worlds and what tech it takes. There are many helpful links as well as some experienced server builders chiming in. Anybody serious about MMO games should digest this thread prior to asking elementary questions destined to tick off many of the regulars around here:)

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/58991-How-to-create-a-MMORPG

HTH
    BTH

5. Toad

Toad

There is an excellent series of video tutorials split into different modules (Essentials, Basic, Intermediate) on http://www.unity3dstudent.com/

Really good stuff.

6. Rolly

Rolly

Alec Holowka (Paper Moon, Aquaria) has an excellent series of Unity tutorial videos that are very beginner friendly, starting here:
    Unity3d intro tutorial.

7. InvaderStudios

InvaderStudios

8. n0mad

n0mad

[added animation clips loading times to my initial post]