Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom's Terrain Tools - New Release (Version 2)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tom163, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Tom163

Tom163

Update: We're continuing to update this tool, so skip to the end of this topic to read about the latest news.

After lots more time than I hoped, I have updated my Terrain Tools to play nice with Unity 3, and improved many parts, transferred everything from individual editor scripts into one dockable editor window, enabled it to work with multiple terrains, more than one splatmap, and more.

For the full details, check out the Asset Store page:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/content/527

As per the old tools, I am selling these at a "pick your own price" model. In addition to the scripts themselves, I have included three full example data sets that cover the entire workflow from Terragen 2 setup to finished scene.

If you bought the older Terrain Tools, you should have received an update offer by mail. Contact me if you didn't.

Editor window preview:

Older threads with some details and more screenshots are here, here and here

Attached Files:

• $TTT2.jpg
      $TTT2.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • $TTT.png
      $TTT.png
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Congrats on the update Tom!

I have a question regarding one of the scripts included in the package:
    I have, for example, several rocks (prefab mesh with collider and rigidbody) that I want to distribute on the terrain. Can I use this "spawn map" to do this? Is it an editor script or can it be used at run time?

Also, can I use this (or any of the other scripts) with a mesh (some of my terrains are meshes and not Unity terrains)?

3. houndie

houndie

Please let me know when you ahve an upgrade option available as I would like to get my hands on this update asap!!

Thanks

4. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

hehe looks nice, you should give it away :)

5. RoyS

RoyS

I would rather pay for something. That way the developer will be more motivated to make upgrades and future releases. He should be rewarded for his efforts. This is a fantastic tool.

I loved your first Terrain Tools and will definitely upgrade. Anxiously awaiting the new release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, here is my Tutorial for using Tom's Terrain Tools (the first version) with L3DT (I use Pro)...

Here's the steps I use to get my terrain into Unity.

1 - Generate your L3DT map via the Wizard if you're unfamiliar with it. Then...
    File-->Export map-->(select) Heightfield
    File format - (pulldown) select "RAW"
    -type in a File Name
    -check "resize for export"
    -1025 size (default)
    Operations-->Alpha Map-->Alpha Express (png)

The raw is your heightmap and the png is your splatmap. Move those to your Assets folder.

2 - Make sure "Tom's Terrain Tools" is installed per his instructions.

3 - In Unity
    Terrain-->Create Terrain
    Add your 4 textures in Unity as normal (you can get some nice terrain textures from http://cgtextures.com )
    Terrain-->Import Heightmap RAW
    --Bit16
    --Windows

Now you should see your heightmap in your first colour chosen. If the mountains are too high, then go Terrain-->Set Resolution and change the 600 value. Just change those numbers until you get the desired height of your mountains and valleys.

Now for the rest of the colour of your terrain.

In Unity, select your png texture in the Project folder and in Inspector change it to ARGB 32 bit and hit the Apply button. Now you won't get an error message to change it to 32 bit RBGA as you've just done it. Now to add the splatmap...

Terrain-->Tom's Terrain Tools-->Splatmap

If you're sand is in your mountain area and your grass under the sea, then just change the order of your textures until it's right (ie, the terrain paintbrush textures as if you were painting one from scratch - the same ones you loaded above).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. Demonith

Demonith

No hols maker for terrain ? :(

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@Roy and Tom - Could you post this tutorial somewhere? I plan on getting L3DT about the same time I get Tom's Terrain Tools and this would be a good resource for me.

8. Tom163

Tom163

If you want to to it at runtime, yes you could use the spawn map script for that purpose. If you want it in the editor, the Random Object Map script is your friend. Both are included in the package.

I could link to this thread, or if Roy says "ok", put it on my website.

@pixelstudio: I'm giving other stuff away on this forum, including many parts or early incarnations of those scripts. But every once in a while or so, I need to buy a new Unity license, or some Assets for my own projects, etc. so I need to make some money to cover those costs.

9. Tom163

Tom163

No, these scripts only work with Unity terrains. The spawn map and random object scripts should (maybe with trivial modifications) also work for any mesh with colliders since they use raycasting, but the main script manipulates terrain data only.

Unity terrain doesn't support holes. There are a few ways to fake holes, but unlike, say, Torque you can not cut out a part of the terrain. It's a limitation of the engine, not of my scripts.

10. Westmark

Westmark

@bigkahuna: I'd recommend you look closely at world machine 2 before you buy l3dt :) I have both and I prefer WM2 any day :) I think you have much more control and if you've tried strumpys shader editor, then you'll be used to the same node-based generation process :)

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks for the info, both of you! :)

12. Westmark

Westmark

No problem :)

and yay! 100th post :p

13. Tom163

Tom163

WM2 and L3DT both have their use, and I've used both even though my main tool is TG2.

WM2 has a nice default setup and visual interface, if you like visual editors, it definitely beats the competition in that area.

L3DT has the design map, which is by far the best starting point if you have a rough idea of what you landscape should look like. Many of my own terrains start out in L3DT, though I export them to TG2 after the heightmap stage and do some final processing and the splat-, tree-, etc. maps in there.

GeoControl 2 should also be mentioned, it is the only tool I know that can easily create fairly good rivers.

14. zappapa

zappapa

In the previous version we had tree (blob)shadows. Where did they go?

15. Westmark

Westmark

@Zappapa: I'm just guessing here but i think it could have something to do with the Beast lightmapper... i can imagine some issues there.

16. RoyS

RoyS

Do with it what you wish.

My L3DT maps and Tom's Terrain Tool gave me a very good looking and very large map.

17. Tom163

Tom163

I removed them for two reasons. One is that the API has changed and terrain does no longer store its own lightmap. Modifying shadows would now have to go through the Beast lightmap data. The other is that thanks to Beast, the issue of tree shadows is now solved in the engine itself, so there is no need for having them scripted.

18. botumys

botumys

2 questions:
    - I'm working on a terrain and I have already 3 splatmaps, can I use your tool to continue my work or I have to create a new terrain to use it?
    - It is possible with the terrain tool to change color for trees by using a map (or the terrain's lightmap for example) the goal is to adjust tree value when they are in a shadow area and when they are far from camera view.

19. Tom163

Tom163

The tool only supports up to 2 splatmaps, but it can easily modified to support more, since the principle behind going to 3 is the same as going to 2, only the numbers change. But it you already have splatmaps painted, you should save them out first, there is a script somewhere around here that does that.

Individual tree colour changes are not currently supported by the script. As I understand it, they depend on the lightmap, which Beast calculates.

20. IonDave

IonDave

I just purchased TTT, but which version am I getting? Old or new??

21. Tom163

Tom163

@IonDave - if your download was a few KB, it was the old version. If it was about 70 MB then it was the new one, because I added all that example data to it.

Don't worry, if you bought the wrong one by accident, send me an e-mail and we'll work it out.

22. Tom163

Tom163

To clear up some confusion: Yes, there are about 70 MB of example data in this package, with everything you need for a complete workflow, from the Terragen 2 .tgd scene files to the resulting height-, splat-, tree-, grass- and bushmaps (and one overlay map) to the finished Unity scenes where everything comes together. There is no tutorial, however.

23. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Looks quite nice, well done!

24. HJP

HJP

25. Tom163

Tom163

An advance notification, I will be raising the prices for the tools a little in the next few days, as I have to pay most of my bills in Euro, and the US$ prices I use have been reducing in less and less Euros for a long time now. So far I've been eating up the difference, but it's reached a point where I need to adjust the US$ prices.

26. Zu01

Zu01

erm I bought this, and does it come by disc?

27. Tom163

Tom163

It comes as a download. When you buy it, you should be getting an e-mail with the download link within a few minutes. If you didn't, send me a mail with your order number and I'll make sure you get the mail sent to again.

28. Tom163

Tom163

Price update notice: As posted above, I've updated the prices, TTT now starts at $ 14.95

29. PhM340

PhM340

Hi tom,

In advance, I'm sorry if my question seems stupid.

I have complete geographic data Lambert93 for France in x, y and z.
    This is a very large file of 9,143,569 points x, y, z (176Mo).

Example:
    629750 6611500 213
    630000 6611500 212
    630250 6611500 212
    630500 6611500 213
    630750 6611500 210
    631000 6611500 215
    631250 6611500 216
    631500 6611500 213
    631750 6611500 214
    632000 6611500 212
    With your great application, are there plans to use its data to create a extract of territory or must go through intermediate steps?

In the latter case, what are the steps (what software?).

Thank you in advance for details.

Philippe

30. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Have you tried "Global Mapper"?

31. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Congrats on this, it looks really great. Will have to swing by and take a close look.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

32. PhM340

PhM340

Global Mapper ? no, I will see that, thank you ...

33. Tom163

Tom163

@PhM340: You will need intermediate steps, as my tools read in image files that Unity can import (e.g. PNG or TIFF, etc.). From the example you posted, it seems you have basically heightmap data, should be easy to translate that into a greyscale RAW that Unity can import as a heightmap, but that's not part of the toolset.

34. Scoppio

Scoppio

Hello tom! I've just bought the TTT and I've to say that even with the troubles I'm having with it I'd say its really fine, but there is a small problem

The rocks and trees it generates has no collider effect, how do I solve it? (I'm a newbie in the unity)

35. Tom163

Tom163

Scoppio - rocks (detail meshes) never have colliders in Unity AFAIK.

For trees, make sure that the "generate tree colliders" box is checked in the terrain object, and that the prefabs you use actually do have colliders attached (most of the ones that come with Unity don't).

36. Scoppio

Scoppio

Thanks, I solved the problem with ONE tree, one that I actually placed in the terrain, all the other low-poly/sprite one that are generated by your script have none and neither appears in the terrain gameobjetc, AND the generate tree colliders is checked.

Well... looks like that I've found where are all the other trees... I'll lose a few minutes making coliders and seeing what happens

These trees in "Terrain Assets >> Trees Ambient-Occlusion" were with its coliders turned off in the FBXImporter, turned those on, result:
    - when I place one of those trees manually, it collides with the player
    - when I place AUTOMATICALLY (either your script or the unity mass tree placer) it has no colliders at all

37. Tom163

Tom163

There are some rules on painted trees that don't apply to trees placed as objects. If I recall correctly, one of them is that they have to have capsule colliders. Or at least not all collider types work. Mesh colliders most definitely don't. That's another thing you could check out.

I also remember that only the "Sycamore with collider" tree in the Terrain Assets package has a collider at all. So try that one out.

38. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hello,

I purchased TTT recently, i'm still in test with it, and i'll be happy to found more tutorials (html+pics)or(video tutorials).

Thanks a lot !!
    Best Regards.
    ;) ;) ;)

39. afalk

afalk

What a superb tool. Finally had the chance to pick it up this weekend. Hat's off to you sir for creating this!

40. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Nice job here on this tools!

41. 3KyNoX

3KyNoX

Hello Tom,

I am looking for a Terrain Generator that I can use with procedural / fractal techniques for a Space MMO RTS game.

I saw on your website that it is not possible actually but do you plan in future doing this ?

Thanks for answer anyway :)

42. DisTrash

DisTrash

Tom has written a list of software for terrains creation. Search on his website.

Hope it helps,,,Best Regards.

;) ;) ;)

43. Tom163

Tom163

No plans. I don't think that building my own procedural generator could come even close to what dedicated tools like Terragen, L3DT, etc. etc. can do. So my workflow is to use those, and import their results.

44. mk1978

mk1978

I am having problems to use Terrain Tools when using Overlay map function. I always get this meessage:

When using the earlier version of the TT, it was working just ok. Has anybody been able to use Overlay maps in this new version of TT?

45. Tom163

Tom163

Check if the terrain object is set or empty. If it is empty, drag your terrain in there. I think this bug is fixed in the current development version.

46. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks Tom, works perfect now!

47. Flapman

Flapman

****Actually I figured this out. It was a problem with my resolution settings. :)

Love this add-on, Tom.

A

Hi Tom,

I just purchased your app. The splat texture feature is working great but I can't get my trees, bushes and grass to render in more than a small are of the map.

In an odd situation, all my rocks were lined up on a straight column. Doesn't quite match the map. :D

Thoughts?

A

$Tom_Screen.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  48. Flapman

Flapman

Tom,

I had a question that I hope you can answer as well since you have created maps in L3DT. I us Pro 2.9.

I noticed that the orientation of the RAW file is flipped and rotated when I import it to Unity. It presents me with the challenge of trying to reorient the maps to get them aligned right. I had to do that for all my SPLATs and overlays in your tool.

Any thoughts about that?

A

49. Tom163

Tom163

The RAW import is actually a fix. The tools are designed for importing all the maps from the same source, in the same orientation. It should work if your sources are that way.

50. Flapman

Flapman

Thanks Tom. :)