Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate physics props pack / Asset store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by CallToAdventure, Dec 11, 2010.

1. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Hi everyone,

Here's a sneak peak of my almost completed physics props pack. What good is a prop if it doesn't move or break or shatter when you shoot at? This pack solves this problem for you.
    This build has 2 levels - one for high end specs computers - DO NOT load it unless you have a good rig - and one with fewer physics objects for regular computers. It is NOT a performance issue concerning Unity or its physics engine, I just added a LOT of objects and all of them shatter in bits and pieces. Also, the damage is setup on my developer weapon missile explosion and is set to take 100% damage. In a real game scenario, this will almost never occur.

At the moment there are no sounds. I am working on a way to figure out how to trim the number of sounds played even if the number of audio sources created is very large.

Here is the Demo. Enjoy!

2. MrSmive

MrSmive

its cool man, but turning the impact down a bit might help, figure its 1 of two variables, that guns power or the objects fracture scripts but i think it would be nicer to be able to damage an object more before it explodes like its been hit with an rpg, im sure its possible to do with setup you have there mate just a few tweaks.

3. Jay_Adams

Jay_Adams

Pretty cool. I assume everything will be adjustable so you can change health/power on objects/guns?

4. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

The more you want to damage an object before it goes down to smaller bits the more setup is needed in the modeling package. You need to have all various damage states as separate models. The script can work with variables - if health = 40/instantiate wreck 1, if health = 10/instantiate wreck 2 and so on. A simpler way to do it is have a generic damage script with a health variable instantiating the next stage of a damaged object.

5. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

I made a few tweaks and added a developer weapon as well (machine gun); The crates have several damage states as well as collision damage on fall; an update to the webplayer is available here.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

A new build is available at this link. I added a wood shed with destroyable parts and barrels.

Short video on youtube:

7. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Pretty damn cool.

8. trooper

trooper

Do the models require joints or does it work on a parenting system?

9. MrSmive

MrSmive

looking much better, it still seems to light though if you know what i mean.

10. Blacklight

Blacklight

This is pretty good, but whats with the character in the webplayer demos? Sometimes if I walk backwards the character gets launched into the air.

11. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

The system is pretty simple; once an object receives (this) amount of damage a clone is instantiated with physics properties. If you want to further destroy that part just add the damageHandler scrip to it and set its own damage piece. The most part of the work is done in creating the pieces and setting them in editor. I don't know if its possible or how to do it, but sure enough It should be a lot easier to have a script that looks for parts in a model and automatically assign properties. There are no joints involved. It could be possible and somewhat useful to be able to define the joint in the model with a dummy or a null object and then the script should be able to read that and automatically create the joint - or any other physics component for that matter.
    I am aware of the bug with the player getting thrown in the air, I am using the late FPS physics player, not the old one. This brings a performance issue to the table as well. After all the pieces are instantiated and come to a rest, their respective rigidbody component and mesh colider should be deleted and replaced with a less expensive box colider, depending on what you need for gameplay; I don't fully trust the physics system in unity yet, I believe it still needs to mature a bit to reach a level of stability and performance like in Crysis or HL2. And I am convinced there is need for a bridge between the 3dmodeling program and unity to be able to set-up physics components, say, like Crysis does.

12. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hi, looks nice, when is this coming out?

13. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Working on it as we speak, should be submitted later tonight. From there on, it's up to the Asset Store team. : )

falling damage slideshow (video uploading now)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  14. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

...And here goes the video. No machine gun involved, objects take damage just by falling. I just shoot a bit after all the falling groups are down.

15. MrSmive

MrSmive

thats real nice man, please add something with some softness, like a sack of potatos or a human body, would really like to see what happens to that stuff when it hits the ground, would tend to pop and spray more than bounce and fly

16. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

I think a sack of potatoes - or sand or similar is easy to to. Look at some of the half-life videos where the gravity gun is involved and a mattress; basically you would need 2 rigid bodies with a fixed joint and a single mesh. I will try but this is something beyond this version of the pack.

17. MrSmive

MrSmive

tiss a shame mate, would love to see it, this is the ultimate physics pack though right lol

18. Mikie

Mikie

Lari, can one destroy other objects. Not just crates.

19. TiG

TiG

Very nice job. If you switch to primitive colliders instead of mesh collider, you can get better performance. Well placed box collider can do magic.