Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Live wallpapers!

Discussion in 'Android' started by jhoemar.pagao, Dec 9, 2010.

1. jhoemar.pagao

jhoemar.pagao

Hello everyone,

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/02/live-wallpapers.html
    I need to create a live wallpaper on android using unity as renderer. But my problem is I don't know how to implement things on unity. If im not mistaken, this would only be possible in a plugin. Unity has its own implementation of displaying the android rendering view, where live wallpaper need to override its class interface.

Your replies are much appreciated!

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

It's not possible today. The rendering mechanism of a wallpaper is different from how an Activity's view hierarchy works (that's how Unity is currently rendered). The Plugins feature is not sufficient to change that fundamental behavior. At one point we may provide wallpaper as build option inside Unity.

3. jhoemar.pagao

jhoemar.pagao

Ok. thanks!

4. morty346

morty346

any updates on this?

5. ina

ina

$1500 for Unity Android Pro and live wall paper is not possible :-(

6. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

Unity is a GameEngine. There is no reason that the creation of Live Wallpapers should be required. Furthermore, the creation of LiveWallpapers is so imple with the Android SDK alone, it would probably take even more work to create one using Unity.

7. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

Full 3D wallpapers without coding sounds like it would fit with what unity can do. Too bad, I really wanted to try something like that.

8. HashbangGames

HashbangGames

Having the ability to make an app like "Talking Tomcat" where you can build it with unity as an engine definitely sounds beneficial. The abilities that Unity has such as particle effects, being able to make it snow on your live wallpaper, or make realistic looking water, the sky is the limit here.. This would open up a whole new market of apps that would be created with Unity 3d, well worth paying the hefty unity cost.

9. MarekW

MarekW

10. nbalexis1

nbalexis1

Heart breaking...

11. rbdias

rbdias

Well, after integrating unity with eclipse I've found that unity android classes.jar already has the class UnityWallpaperService.

Please moderator, does it mean live wallpaper support is coming soon? Will it be present on oficial 3.5? Or is there any roadmap for that?

Needless to say that 3D live wallpapers are the new big thing on Android Market, with millions of downloads! And there is NO 3D engine that supports live wallpaper creation.

Thanks and Regards,

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  12. tcarrillo

tcarrillo

It's been over a year since this post was opened. Has there been any updates?

13. thebestbigal

thebestbigal

I second this. Is there any news on being able to do this?
    I cannot see any evidence that it can be done.

14. rbdias

rbdias

On Unity 3.4.x there was a WallpaperService class on Android classes.jar. It was almost fully implemented, but there were some missing parts. On Unity 3.5 they removed this class, but I was informed that this feature was in progress. So I think someone from Unity should appear to clarify what is the implementation status, and when it is going to be released.

Regards,

15. JSorrentino

JSorrentino

Man, I hope this is implemented. I would love to bring my current wallpapers to Unity, I think I can accomplish a lot more in much less time.

If Unity is working on this and beta testing is needed on a product to be released, I'd be glad to volunteer to convert what I have and contribute to testing.

16. Enzign

Enzign

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. adaman

adaman

Please make this happen. I'm eagerly waiting for this feature to be added.

18. Fynlen

Fynlen

19. LeoCeballos

LeoCeballos

I would like to add that this feature would be super valuable to me as well. I have some neat assets I've made for some games, and I think that if only as an extra marketing venue for our projects, this would be amazing.

Fynlen, have you tried that Unity2Eclipse? I thought plugins required Pro? And... did you get it to work with 3.5 or does it really require 3.4 like the description says? Maybe it uses that partially finished library that was removed?

20. Horror

Horror

I concur!

21. rdias

rdias

LeoCeballos
    It seems that the plugin relies on that partially WallpaperService class present on 3.4 only.

I hacked into unity 3.4 jar a while ago and I was able to create a Live Wallpaper apk. However there were some annoying bugs that I could not solve without getting unity's jar source.
    Did anyone try to use the plugin? What are the results?

Cheers.

22. RJClarke

RJClarke

Anyone have any successful results with the Unity2Eclipse plugin?

Also, does anyone know if Unity4 brings anything else to the Live Wallpaper table or if the built-in Eclipse in Unity4 can achieve the same sort of thing? (I don't quite understand how Eclipse functions, but I'd like to invest time in learning it if any of you lovely Unity users say it's worthwhile) :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  23. npsoft

npsoft

RJClarke
    No. Because the plugin relies/extends on a partially WallpaperService class found in classes.jar. It has lots of bugs and all live wallpapers developed with this plugin will crash each time the user turns the screen off, rotates the device, etc giving you 1 star reviews on Google Play (trust me ... i Know :( )

24. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

Any update on this issue?

25. shinx

shinx

26. oussa

oussa

27. ZimM

ZimM