Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. profcwalker

profcwalker

(Update 11/3/2011)​
    Hi Unity Friends.

School is in session! The Walker Boys FREE Unity Game Development Course for the Absolute Beginner is your personal online training course for learning how to make your own Video Games with Unity Technology!

This Free Video Training Course is designed for the Artist, Designer, beginning Programmer, aspiring Game Developer, High School student and University student. Our goal is to provide you with a fun online course, based at a level of learning required to take you from a Newbie to a Professional.

If you are an instructor and looking for somewhere to start, feel free to use this course in your classroom, or as a template to create your own personal Curriculum from. This is the place to start your learning and training for Unity technology!

What all is included with the course. You can go to the ‘Official’ site right here or read through the Course Curriculum below to get an idea of what is available.

Unity Course Curriculum
    With over 330+ HD videos (50+ hours), taking you step by step through the Unity Software, Tools, Workflow, Language, Game Projects and more, you will be up and running in Unity just like a Pro.

Having worked with Unity for over one and half years, we (my twin brother and I) decided it was time to give back to a community that is so incredibly generous and sharing.

Our 12 years of Professional Game Industry experience in Art and Design and eight years of Curriculum Development and Lecturing at the Guildhall at SMU allows us to provide you with a great opportunity to further your development and interest in Unity Technology.

In addition to these free videos, we want to take a moment to extend one more great piece of news. We have concluded the development of a complete 300+ hour Professional Video Game Training Course for the Artist (2D, 3D, Animation, Design, and Programming) also available at an incredibly affordable price. The future of game development is truly in the hands of the next generation and by providing opportunity and the proper steps for successful development, we hope to ensure a positive growth in the generations to come.

“Let’s Learn and Grow Together.”​

We are happy to assist with any questions you may have. Please, post them here or email me and we’ll get back to you shortly.

Again, thank you for making this such a great community and wonderful place to be.
    - Walker Boys

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Wow!
    Thanks a lot for these man! Even though I`m surrounded by Unity devs at work, these tutorials will definitely help a starving artist that wants to create games :)

Keep up the great work!

Roald

3. BRIK

BRIK

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of tutorials. Thanks!

4. jmiles

jmiles

looks like a wonderful resource, thank you
    Any possibility of a one click download for the videos to be able to use them when not online or did I completely overlook how to do it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. retaf99

retaf99

Thanks for all your hard work!

6. sh1n1g4m1

sh1n1g4m1

thanks, it will surely help me a lot... :D

7. Merries

Merries

Guys check your PayPal donation button you have a predefined $135.00 training product that comes up on the sign in page.

8. RoyS

RoyS

Nice job on the tutorials. That's quite a set.

You're missing 25 in the first set. It's the one on terrain grass.

Question: On your other courses, what version of 3DS Max are you using?

9. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you, guys. We appreciate the positive feedback on this. My brother and I enjoyed working on the videos. Unity is truly an excellent game software application, which simply makes it a pleasure to work with, record on and teach from.

JMiles, great question.
    One click download: There is only one catch with the 'free' version of the videos. Our current intention is for it to be located at one spot to help us in monitoring its usage and to assist in web traffic through our site.

Thank you, Merries. I appreciate the catch on that. It has been corrected and updated. :)

RoyS, you are certainly correct. The terrain grass video is actually compressing down right now (800mg file). It will be up later this evening….Okay, it’s actually up now. http://vimeo.com/channels/151501#17665905. The training material on 3ds Max is using both 2010 and 2011.

Also, we realized our initial post was missing one key element…A roadmap. Our current videos are a first in a series of videos on Unity. So let’s take a look at where we are headed.

The Roadmap
    • Release the core training material for learning Unity 3 (Software app, Programming, API)
    • Write a post about the next steps :rolleyes:
    • Provide an incentive program for learning Unity 3, really well. We’ll get to this in a second.
    • Enter Quizzes and Exams (January)
    • Game Type 1 Released (January)
    • Game Type 2 Released (February)
    • Game Tool Development (March)
    • Game Type 3 Released (March)
    • Game Type 4 Released (April)
    • If you pass, you get a spiffy Certificate -> ‘Walker Boys Certified’

Does the certificate mean anything?
    To us, yes. We will be very proud of you and mail you a wonderful document you can keep.
    Note: Will the rest of the world care about the certificate? We’re not sure, it hasn’t been done yet. So, we’ll see. :D

So, you may have noticed the mention of Quizzes and Exams. In order to move from one stage of video training to the next, you will need to complete a series of quizzes and exams. By completing (and passing) the tests, you will be provided with the next training course in your development.

Question: Will this new phase cost money? No. It does require something more expensive and valuable…your time. If you have the dedication and resolve to further your education and skills, then you will have to make an investment in yourself and your time.

At the Guildhall, we are surrounded by amazing students that spend every waking moment in study and in practice of their craft (video game development). Our goal with the Unity training is to provide a similar opportunity to those willing to study, learn and practice the art, programming and design of game development through a free structured, educational program.

If you have the passion, we’ll provide the direction.

Let me know if y’all have questions.

Thanks again!
    Walker Boys

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  10. Quietus2

Quietus2

Very nice tutorials indeed. Great idea to make them very granular, so a new user can go right to the topic they're interested in rather than search through a 20 minute video for the same information.

Although, I'd like to see more 'art for the starving programmer' instead of the other way around. I was watching a video on color wheel theory last week and it made my head spin!

11. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Quietus.

Great idea with the programming to art direction. Our current videos on art actually work for artists, designers and programmers. We have had the opportunity to test the art videos on all disciplines and found the beginning series to work incredibly well. It teaches at a foundational level that anyone can learn and work from. You can check them out here if you are interested. If you're curious about any of them, just let me know.

Thank you.

12. Quietus2

Quietus2

I'd be interested in them all, but a tad expensive. Most of what I pick up is pieces here and there from watching other people's workflow in modo during their tutorials.

When I was a kid, I would toy with those 'paint by numbers' things I would get as a present. Poor princess lea, she would end up with green hair and purple eyes when I tried it on my own and I ignored the suggested crayon.

Programming can be learned, not sure that art can be. But if you were to do the same for art as you did with your 100 Unity for newbs tutorials, I'd certainly give it a go.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great Videos!

But Channel's Videos are all with HD Off and i am unable to turn on HD.
    If i try to switch to html5 i am able to see videos in HD but some videos are not available in HTML5 like, for example. the introduction to Javascript.

Tested with Safari 5.0.3 and Firefox 3.5.12

14. jmiles

jmiles

Thank you for all of the information, this is going to be a very valuable resource.

How strict are the time lines on the exam/assignment schedule that you have listed? I am very interested in proceeding through your program (sometimes I need help staying focused and a scheduled program is very good for that :) ), however with our new game development curriculum here at school my time is at a premium as it is. I will be using Unity within a 2 semester game programming course that begins this Spring and would like to work through your course at the same time to smooth out my rough edges and make sure that I do not over look interesting tidbits within the engine.

Anyway, as soon as I finish grading exams and projects from the current semester I'm off to start watching your videos, just hope I can find some online access for the 2 weeks I will be out of town surrounding the Christmas break.

15. Demonith

Demonith

Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx Tnx WOOOOW Tnx grate WORK !

Is there any way to download this videos ?

16. ObjectiveTruth

ObjectiveTruth

Absolutely Amazing. I just started to get into Unity and I'm blown away by the quality of the content.

It would be great if there were a way to post comments on the video because there were a few times i couldn't figure something out.

Definitely appreciated!

17. MrSplosion

MrSplosion

Thank you so much! Im new to unity ill defiantly use this!

18. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Thank you for the support and kind words. Again, it’s great to hear that these continue to be of use for your development and growth with Unity. On a fun note, in the matter of just a few days we’ve had over 3,200 views on the videos in over 51 countries.

Quietus.
    That’s great to hear you continue to enjoy and learn the arts. It’s certainly a wonderful and rewarding pursuit. We do have a few art videos online (part of the larger series), one you may be interested in is a beginners guide to speed painting (50+ minutes). It’s basically painting a landscape and laying down the foundations of one approach to it. Hope that helps.

Andrea Monzini.
    I've looked at the videos with multiple browsers and settings, but unfortunately, I can't get it to duplicate what you were talking about. I'm not quite sure where to help you on this one. Let me know if you find a solution, we can note it for future reference. Thank you.

JMiles.
    Great question. When it comes to the structure and pacing of the training, it falls in to two categories. Our ‘current’ design is set for:

1. Self-motivated individuals passionate about learning, working and doing. Basically, this means that we will provide feedback along the way on your Unity development, course work, homework and exams, however the pacing will be left up to the student.

2. Apprenticeship Program. This training will begin in February and will provide six individuals an instructor (My brother and I) guiding you through each step with live lectures, online training, and additional videos. This one will come at a cost due to the time commitments, however for the lucky six; it will be an incredible journey towards a goal of getting in to the games industry. My brother and I have had the opportunity to train over 100 artists from the Guildhall and assist them in finding employment in the game industry working on many of the top 'Triple A' games in the market over the past 5 years.
    Let me know if that helps and/or if you need further assistance. :)

Demonith.
    Thank you. Also, to answer your question on downloads-> Our current intention is for it to be located at one spot to help us in monitoring statistical data, its usage and to assist in web traffic through our site. That’s the only catch with the 'free' version of the videos.

ObjectiveTruth.
    When it comes to posting questions and comments about the videos, we were actually intending for this thread to contain that information so that it would be available in one spot, verses running it through multiple posts from the video location.
    Feel free to post questions here and the video number. We’ll be happy to assist where we can.

Thank you MrSplosion. It’s much appreciated.

-Walker Boys

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  19. Kaya

Kaya

THANK YOU!!!!
    I am a beginner in Unity and your tutorials thought me a lot.
    THANK YOU!!!!

-Kaya-

20. profcwalker

profcwalker

Glad to hear they are helping Kaya. We will be releasing several hours of new video later this month to complete the Unity (in-depth) training. Then it's preparation time for Course Material, Exams and a solid step by step approach to game development. The first game is complete and provides 6 hours of video training. Should be a lot of fun when it's released.

If you have any questions during your studies, feel free to post them here. Thank you.

21. Kaya

Kaya

Your tutorials are Great!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!:razz:

I've finished the Series-1 and Series-2. :eek:
    I've just have question about Part 23: Class Constructor; why in the constructor Monsters, the print(name + " was spotted walking around");
    did not print on console, but the "prints" appear in the Editor Log?
    Likewise print in the TeamUp function in (Part 24: Class with Functions and Constructor) seems to have the same problem.
    I think the print function in a class is not able to print to console. Is this true?

THANK YOU!!!

-Kaya-

22. Adamo

Adamo

Dear ProfCWalker,

I've carefully watched all your free Unity 3D tutorial videos in three (so far) series.
    Thank you very much for offering such a high quality training materials free. From your videos, I learned a lot about Unity. However, in addition to this, I am impressed with your programming style; you are very carefull in writing and immediatelly documenting your code. In these tutorials you are also teaching good programming habits. I do very much appriciate this. Very special thanks for this too!
    I am looking forward for your new tutorial videos.

Thank you.

Adamo

23. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Adamo. I appreciate the careful study of the videos and look forward to providing additional content to assist in your training.

24. Hakimo

Hakimo

Thanks very much for the tutorials. I'm starting to understand more on how to use Unity :)

25. Malaz

Malaz

5 stars with moon

26. coin-god

coin-god

I would actually give them the entire solar system.

Much respect for this tutorials, specially the coding ones. :)

27. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi, finally set some time aside to start looking at Unity, going through your free tutorials right now, great stuff, thanks.

28. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Hakimo, Malaz, coin-god and ProjectOne. We appreciate the support and interest in the videos.

Let me know if you have questions along the way. :)

29. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi,
    went through the 60 videos in Series 1 yesterday, it was a good way for me to recap on Unity after not being able to touch unity for 4 weeks , started looking at Unity, then got too busy with day job and was only able to get back to it the other day, so I found your videos very useful for a good recap and to learn a few things I missed the first time around.

I Didn't look at series 2 and 3 because they focus around UnityScript (JavaScript) and I am currently learning C#, so I think I will get confused if I start to look at UnityScript based videos while learning to use C# with Unity. I'm sure series 2 and 3 will be very useful to anyone going the UnityScript way.

Do you have plans for more Unity 3 videos covering other topics like rendering/lighting or even C# based videos?

30. Delita

Delita

I would say the same thing.

31. Dustin

Dustin

Wow!
    The videos are really great, they helped me a lot. You enhance the scripting language of a beginner like me very much.
    Thank you for providing them for free though they have the quality to be not free (but this wouldn't be so good ;))

For those who miss the 25th terrain video, it is slipped to the very end of the series.

32. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Delita, Dustin and Project One.

Project One: Do you have plans for more Unity 3 videos covering other topics like rendering/lighting or even C# based videos?

>> Rendering, lighting, physics, cloth, etc are currently in the works. As for C#, we don’t have plans for it; however Burgzerg and the guys at 3D Buzz have a wonderful set of C# videos.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/tutorials
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/37...ing-Videos-Download-them-now!?highlight=hours

Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

33. acs_andrew

acs_andrew

Great videos, a quick query though, the video for the trees (part 24) is only 5 seconds long, am I missing something?

Andrew

34. profcwalker

profcwalker

35. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Just a quick update for those interested. Part of our releasing the videos; we wanted to be sure to keep a running tally on statistics. It's been just about one month since we released the first set of videos, so I thought it would be a good time to provide a couple of numbers.

As of today we have the following.

20,000+ plays on vimeo with the videos
    80 countries have been viewing the videos

Top Five Countries Viewing
    1. U.S.
    2. Unknown (not sure if this one counts, but the few countries that go on the unknown list, North Korea and China)
    3. UK
    4. Canada
    5. Brazil

Donation Total: $5.00

Next week will begin the next phase of videos. I will post here when things go live.
    Thank you!

36. El Beno

El Beno

They are brilliant mate! Keep 'em coming

37. makan

makan

Thanks I definitely check them out :)

38. profcwalker

profcwalker

Quick Update: Everything is complete for the Unity Training Course. It will become available Monday.
    Thank you

39. MarkPixel

MarkPixel

Thanks a lot!

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Wow, this has to be the most comprehensive training i have EVER seen for an engine... everything I've seen so far is very well explained and interesting... I can't wait until you guys start showing the goodies like cloth and physics

41. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Unity School is now in session! Our FREE Unity Game Development Course for the Absolute Beginner, is your personal online training course for learning how to make your own Video Games with Unity Technology!

Be sure to check out the first post (above) or the 'Official' site to begin working your way from Newbie to Professional.

If you have any question while you work through the Course, just post them here.
    Thank you!

42. acs_andrew

acs_andrew

Very nice. Looking forward to progressing through them.

43. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

44. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

NIce to see how the free Unity course is progressing Walker Boys. I guess it is still free but you have to do the labs to progress, cool.

I have stopped though just because I am not going the Unity Java Script way, I am going the c# way so yes as you also suggested it is burgzergarcade tutorials and 3D Buzz tutorials for me. The will be releasing camera/character c# based new tutorials maybe Monday or next few days. Also for the ones that like me are more on the c# side and don't know about 3D Buzz, get familiar with their free content they also have a massive set of 219 free videos on Unity 3 about everything Unity http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?176, huge cover of the Unity Editor, probably nothing left unexplored.

all these free videos, no better time to learn Unity really :)

45. profcwalker

profcwalker

Excellent reference ProjectOne. For the C# sharp users, that's a good way to go. I've enjoyed many of those, as well. The more the better :)

46. bluelang

bluelang

unity app 9 08 and unity app 9 09 are superfluous to app 9 07.

thanks,

47. GodBlock

GodBlock

Hello

I am absolutely brand new to unity, and I'm very new to Blender (about a week) I have found loads of help for Blender and with this unbelievable series I think I can learn Unity.

Thank you so much for taking the time needed to create these tutorials and videos, it's very much appreciated.

48. profcwalker

profcwalker

The next Lab project -> Unity Lab Project 2 - Space Shooter, is now available.

We have had several hundred exams taken, through the Unity Training Course, which is great. I do want to remind those that have taken exams multiple times and not passed yet...keep on trying! Study hard and practice, practice, practice. These videos and exams are designed to 'hopefully' increase the knowledge and commitment of those new to Unity and Game Development.

Our goal in general is to provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills in a free online setting, through a fun and slightly challenging course.

Also, to keep things going on the 'non' exam side, we've released a complete set of videos on Exporting Objects from 3ds Max. This series includes:

Part 1: Exporting with FBX and Axis Directions
    Part 2: Exporting Mesh with Textures
    Part 3: Exporting Animations with Controllers
    Part 4: Exporting Static Mesh from Max to Unity
    Part 5: Exporting Animations from Max to Unity

To follow along with the videos, we have included a zip file for the unity project, here (15 mb).

If you have any questions or notice something that needs corrected, feel free to post them here. Thank you.

49. bluemagica

bluemagica

Nice set of tutorials, i just wish there were a playlist type thing so that I could automatically play the videos one after the other, oh well, I am looking forward to the rest of the series. There are two things I should say though:

1) It seems you guys are using the pro version to make the videos, I think it will be better for you to use the indie version cause it will be more common to your user base, and also there are some minor differences in the UI and coding capabilities of the pro version.
    2) You might consider using an actual course-management-system like moodle, so that doing these exams and all will become a lot easier.

Oh and I have a request too......Can you please consider doing a short tutorial on exporting from blender? Cause I myself am a freeware fanatic, and I would prefer to use a freeware alternative to the costly 3dsMAX and Maya....

50. ChevyMonster

ChevyMonster

I've gotten to video 1-18 at Vimeo, then it jumps to 1-30. Did I miss a step or link or something? And videos 1-08 through 1-010 have 1-07 in their title.