Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Ajay1

Ajay1

Please help me. I have an problem with unity. When I open the script of any type(boo,java,c#) it shows me an error please help me but I watch your tutorials they are great.

2. clxyeah

clxyeah

Hey i have a problem in Lab Project 4, when i open up any scene, everything appears in the game view, but in the scene view nothing is there
    like this http://imgur.com/QhUxy

Anybody Help me?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  3. Nomad72

Nomad72

@clxyeah... if things are appearing in the game view, then they are in the scene view. You've probably had the scene view's position adjusted, or zoomed out too far. Try selecting something in the heirarchy and pressing F, that should bring things back "in place".

4. tra2002

tra2002

@Ajay1 What error does it show. It is hard to help without knowing the error.

5. E-Samurai

E-Samurai

Hello,

Thank you very much for this course! I've started it today, but I'm confused with the videos?
    I watched Unity app 1 videos from 01 to 18, then there's no 19, it's 30 to 35 directly, then the Unity app 2 series starts.
    What are exactly the first 60 videos that I should watch?
    Please help me! Thanks!

6. Ajay1

Ajay1

it says The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000135) Click on OK to terminate application

7. tra2002

tra2002

@Ajay1 make sure you have .net installed. I have seen this same error with other programs before when .net wasn't installed or had errors.

8. Ajay1

Ajay1

What is .net ??? Please help

9. cmasterenko

cmasterenko

@E-Samurai if I remember correctly that's how they did the videos. If you just follow the links in order that are given on the website you should be fine.

10. ShawnR

ShawnR

I finished the first lab project...i am so happy to stubble across this where i live know one teaches game design

see the link below

http://tinyurl.com/labprojects

11. EliasPaulo

EliasPaulo

I just Love you, guys. Thank you so, so much...

12. dayunbao

dayunbao

Taking a short break from the book I've been learning and checking out the video tuts. So far so good, but just going through the basics of the UI. The scripting is really the most important and difficult part, and what I'm most interested in. Looking forward to the scripting tutorials.

Regarding the video download issues (if no one else has mentioned it yet), using bit torrent would probably be best. You could also use that to track information about the downloads, too.

13. Ajay1

Ajay1

please help me when i create any object it is invisible but my mesh renderrer is on

14. Sharon Hanlon

Sharon Hanlon

Thanks so much for providing these tutorials. - they're making learning so much easier. Just wondering if there's an ETA on the missing videos? I'm stuck at 18 and really want to do them in the correct order.

edit: nevermind ... I was looking at the numbers on the HD videos, which jumped from 18 to 31, and thought everything from the Components tab was missing. But it actually looks now like that's intentional.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. ohmdb

ohmdb

16. RandoR

RandoR

Hey! I just completed first Exam and I just wanted to say thank you for making such amazing course :)

Definitely gonna try finish it :)

17. Lord Herman

Lord Herman

I've just finished the fourth exam, and I'd just like to say I'm loving this course! Thank you guys so much for making this. I've tried programming courses before, but this is the first time I get the feeling I can progress past the basics and actually do something with the things I learn.

Now on to the lab projects!

Edit: In the videos for Lab 1 some external assets are loaded into the project. Was I supposed to have those? I can't find any mention of them on the lab page.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  18. roger0

roger0

I'm going through the point and click game and i'm super stuck on part 11. I've typed in all the code exactly the same but I get a null referance exeption. It will register that I clicked the mouse button, but it wont realize I clicked on a object. I've attached the project file.

Attached Files:

19. clip911

clip911

I just want to thanks Walker Bros. for their wonderful tutorials. They're good teacher indeed.

20. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

My hat goes off to you guys. Thank you very much. I learned things in your tutorials that I never knew they existed in Unity!

21. pn99

pn99

Hi Walkboys,
    I love what you have guys have done here. That you have tailored these tutorials for artists. How many times can I say I've gone down that rabbit hole only to be blasted away as the technical jargon gets heaped on.. and on, until I'm a mess. Granted I've been reading JS books and now have a base understanding of syntax and OOP structure which helps. In particular your tone and manner and choice of how to explain the smallest details goes miles and miles to the newbie... you can't imagine how much it helps (and gives hope). So Thank you!

I do have a question. I'm at part 3 - 7 controller jump and fall (http://vimeo.com/album/1567704/video/21882407).
    Everything is good until 23:00 when I add the aniPlay.aniSprite ( 16, 16, 12, 11, 4, 12 ); for jump actions (walk, run and crouch).

My animation in unity does not look like what you have in the vid (i.e. arms shoot up for walking and running or back arches from crouching - from left facing side). Mine jumps then does the normal animation i.e. straight up/arms down by side.

Here is my code:

if ( !controller.isGrounded )
    {
    velocity.x = Input.GetAxis ( "Horizontal" );

// half height jump START

if ( Input.GetButtonUp ( "Jump" ) ) // pressing down the jump/spacebar then releasing quickly it gives you a lower jump as fallspeed has been subtracted
    {
    velocity.y = velocity.y - fallSpeed; // subtracting current height from 1 if jump button is up?
    }

// half height jump END

if ( jumpEnable ) // jump standard
    {
    velocity.x *= walkSpeed; // walk speed * current move speed
    aniPlay.aniSprite ( 16, 16, 11, 3, 4, 12 );
    }
    if ( runJumpEnable ) // run jump
    {
    velocity.x *= runSpeed; // run jump speed * current move speed
    aniPlay.aniSprite ( 16, 16, 11, 3, 4, 12 );
    }
    if ( crouchJumpEnable ) // crouch jump
    {
    velocity.x *= walkSpeed; // crouch jump speed * current walk speed
    aniPlay.aniSprite ( 16, 16, 12, 11, 4, 12 );

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
    PM99

22. Lord Herman

Lord Herman

Here's my blog post for the first lab project: http://lordherman.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/walker-boys-unity-course-lab-1-point-and-click/

I like how the labs are set up. The videos are instructive and give me a good basic setup for the game, and the On Your Own objectives give me something to figure out for myself while setting clear and attainable goals for me to complete. I tend to get lost when assignments are too vague and frustrated when they're too rigid, but this is exactly right.

I'm supposed to send Eric and Chad an e-mail once I've completed all the lab projects, correct? Not every time I complete a single assignment?

23. pn99

pn99

never mind.
    found my typo. my var jumpEnable was misspelled. : )

24. profcwalker

profcwalker

@awes0meaxel: Yes, that is correct. Also, a good starting place would be here -> http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_start_here__free_.html

@rockysam: Thank you.

@Branks: Great idea. We were/are still intending to put them online for free download, just haven't had the opportunity yet. Hopefully soon. :) DVD works well, but simply takes a bit too much of our time currently.

@zChen: Great job. Fun gameplay elements with the extra defense items and upgrades.

@Ajay1: Just checking to see if you've got everything working properly. Thank you.

@tra2002: Thank you for the assist.

@clxyeah: Just checking to see that you found the scene objects.

@Nomad72: Thank you.

@E-Samurai: Glad the videos are working well for you. And yep what cmasterenko said is correct. :)

@cmasterenko: Thank you.

@ShawnR: Great job with your first lab. The scary smiley was a fun addition to it, along with the cool sound effects.

@smaboy: Thank you. It's good to hear you're working through the training videos.

@dayunbao: Yep, sounds good. When we get the time, we'll be putting it up on one. Thank you.

@ohmdb: Good to hear lab 4 worked well for your training. Played through the first level. Nice job with all the extras. The only minor comment I would have is on the jumping. When the player hits a brick he jitters. You'll probably want to check for head hit on the bricks, the stop upword velocity. Thanks for posting!

@RandoR: Excellent. Have fun working through the course. Let me know if you have questions along the way.

@Lord Herman: Great to hear programming is sticking. :) And yes, lab 1 files are not provided, but should be found online. I believe there is a video that talks about it. And yes, when you've completed all the labs, send us an email so that we can review everything. Till then, posting them here is great.

@Roger0: Just double checking. Did I already answer your questions through email? If not, then you'll want to double check that your camera is tagged with 'Main Camera' so that the raycast call works.

@clip911: Thank you, we appreciate it.

@aram: Excellent. Happy to have helped. :)

@pn99: Good find.

Thanks guys. Hope everything is continuing to work well for everyone.

25. Lord Herman

Lord Herman

26. rileyr

rileyr

27. pn99

pn99

Hey Walkboys,
    Great stuff. I'm just pumping through the vids and loving it.

I did find vid #20 of the 2d scroller ortho and perspective cameras a little rattling. I watched it five times and I think I finally got the gist of what I needed to complete a 2d scroller. But i had problems following your part about 'depth, flag type, and culling' as you switched back and forth with these, I was lost.

Likely I just needed to read about cameras in unity like you mentioned at the beginning.

Thanks again,
    PN99

28. ShawnR

ShawnR

29. games

games

Hi, have made it to the final lab, 3D Mario. Upon importing the files/folders, none of the characters are appearing, the terrain is a pink color, and many errors appear within the console.

Searched and could not find verification on this but is the Pro version of unity required for the final lab?

Really excited to move forward but stumped by this. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    games

30. tra2002

tra2002

@games Make sure that the materials and textures have been assigned to the terrain and models. Usually when it is a pink color you just have to assign the materials or a texture to the material.

31. games

games

Thanks for the reply.

Something has to be occurring during import.

I am dragging the folders from within the 'Assets folder' into the project panel directly. None of the videos give an explanation as to whether or not this project requires a unique import process or project setup.

The other labs had a simple .unitypackage file to use, or just one big folder to drag and drop.

This project size is HUGE, lol. I'll keep tweaking and maybe import things appropriately by chance.

32. profcwalker

profcwalker

@games: For the projects, they were initially designed to be opened directly, not dragged into other projects. You may want to try opening its scene or project directly, to get things working from the start. Hope that helps.

33. games

games

Yes!

That was it! Thanks and sorry for my ignorance on that one.

Tao bless you,
    games

34. hordewilldie

hordewilldie

how do you get the gray scale image on video #1 31 "unity app 1 31 interface main terrain raw"? i cant find it

35. profcwalker

profcwalker

36. Lord Herman

Lord Herman

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  37. thomalex89

thomalex89

When are you supposed to do the labs I have finished the segments about using Unity and Have finished the basic scripting segments?

38. thomalex89

thomalex89

By the way thank a lot this has been very helpful for me.

39. Sharon Hanlon

Sharon Hanlon

I've worked through to the first Mario game, and am trying to translate what I've learned so far to my own game. But it's much harder when I have a project that I'm setting up from scratch, compared to one where all the sprites have been imported and added to the projects window already. That's an important step that I don't recall seeing any tutorial for - we went from primitives to planes with sprite components. How do you get a plane with just 2 triangles, and where does the sprite component come from? How do I get those into a brand new project? Was this covered in one of the videos?

40. pn99

pn99

Hi Walkerboys,
    just a small feedback on part 6 - 1 camera orthographic and perspective - tutorial 06 camera player setup for mario 2d game.
    This tutorial appears to not have the following:
    actors/prefab_mario_player_camera/main_camera/main_camera_perspective_back
    ...clouds...front...middlel
    .../player/collisionBoxBody and the other body parts

And I'm just running into issues with the follow up tutorial "part 7-1 camera smooth follow" where my camera is not following mario once he gets to the edge of the screen. So I'm not sure if it's because of those missing actor/prefabs? And I'm not getting any errors in the console. Mario just walks all the way over the edge with no camera follow.

My plan was to skip over this section as I got hung up for several days but I feat that without cameraSmoothFollow2D.js working, will it hinder tutorials further up?

pn99

41. Zomax

Zomax

Is there a site that I can download these files locally instead of Stream them.

VLC fast playback would be wicked...

42. pn99

pn99

never mind. it was my typo (again...)

and i realize that those missing parts mentioned above had no impact with that tutorial, and were present in the following tutorials where you did need it and it works : )
    pn99

43. ChrisAllen

ChrisAllen

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi and express my gratitude to the WalkerBoys for making this course.

I've completed the first 2 exams (and passed) and am looking forward to continuing with the next section

Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  44. BlueWolf

BlueWolf

Today I took the 1st exam and failed. I'm willing to improve, so I guess I will take exam again. I fell like I could make the test right now, but at the same time I think that won't be very honest. IDK if question are randomly generated and if so, to what point. I don't know if there is any system that disable you to take exams too often and I didn't even try.

What do you think? How much time should I spend improving my skills before trying to do test again?

45. tra2002

tra2002

No one can actually answer this but you BlueWolf. Only you know how well you learn. If you are serious at wanting to learn this it does not really take a long time to past the quizes with just a little studying, but master the knowledge they are giving will take a lot of practice. So read, study, and go over the videos till you think you are ready and then more then likely you will be ready.

46. b3y0nd3r

b3y0nd3r

hey Walker Boys, did you manage to get a new host for downloading the video tutorials?

I'm really looking forward to downloading them ;)

47. dayunbao

dayunbao

These videos are fantastic. Thanks Walker brothers for making such high quality tutorials!

I am currently doing the 2D Mario tutorial, and I've hit a problem I can't find a solution for. On tutorial 23-11 "gumba pathnode," after writing this code in the enemyGumba script:

function OnTriggerEnter (other : Collider)
    {
    if(other.tag == "pathNode")
    {
    var linkToPathNode = other.GetComponent(pathNode);
    gumbaState = linkToPathNode.pathInstruction;
    }
    }

which is supposed to link to the pathNode script, Unity gives me this error:

Assets/2D Mario Assets/Scripts/enemyGumba.js(116,69): BCE0022: Cannot convert 'PathInstruction' to 'GumbaState'.

I've looked over the script several times, and it's exactly the same as the code in the video, but I get an error. Later in the tutorial a similar error occurs, but a workaround is found that fixes it. Any ideas from anyone why I'm getting this error?

48. pn99

pn99

Hey Guys,
    I'm just loving these tutorials, they really are like mana from heaven. I'm now on tutorial #15 2D Mario platformer - projectile fireball (http://vimeo.com/album/1567704/video/23117807). And the fireball starts moving upon starting, however the ball does not bounce off the block floors (just goes throw it)? Would be wonderful if any one had any ideas. I have no errors showing in console.

My thought is that the fireball is not sensing the blocks, the onTriggerEvent function is not working properly (highly unlikely)... or I've structured the project wrong (I noticed upon opening the tutorial that there was not fireball, only a fireTrail under the prefab_fireball, contrary to what is shown in the video). I've tried recreating what Walkerboy have shown, a parent fireball with a child fireTrail inside... to no luck).

Here's the code:
    // fireball projectile
    // march 1, 2012
    // desc: controls the actions of the player projectile
    // instr: assign to the player properties component for projectile

// these vars get exposed in the inspector for easy changeing

var moveSpeed : float = 1.0; // speed of fireball
    var bounceUp : boolean = false; // setting direction of the fireball
    var bounceHeight : float = 0.25; // height limit for fireball
    var lifeSpan : float = 2.0; // set the time before the fireball gets destroyed
    var hitPosition : float = 0.0; // store location of the fireball when it hits something
    var heightDifference : float = 0.0; // get difference between the current pos and hit position

function Start ()
    {

}

function Update ()
    {
    if ( bounceUp == true )
    {
    transform.Translate (moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, 0.75 * Time.deltaTime, 0);
    heightDifference = transform.position.y - hitPosition;
    if (bounceHeight <= heightDifference)
    {
    bounceUp = false;
    }
    }
    else
    {
    transform.Translate (moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime, -1.0 * Time.deltaTime, 0);
    }
    }

function OnTriggerEnter (other : Collider)
    {
    if (other.transform.tag == "Untagged")
    {
    bounceUp = true;
    hitPosition = transform.position.y;
    }
    }

function KillFireball ()
    {

}

49. ianismrt

ianismrt

Hey everyone! first post here!
    Just want to say HUGE thanks to the boys for putting together such an INCREDIBLE resource... I went from having never programmed before to making a Mario game in a matter of WEEKS. Something my artist brain didn't think possible!

but enough gushing,

In lab 4, 2d Mario Clone:

Is anyone else having issues with their Mario crouch animations? I have my code exactly as shown in the tutorial but when I let go of the down button Mario continues to crouch for a little while before he stands up. If I assign crouch to "Fire2" it works perfectly with no lag after I let go of the button.

pothb in a previous post had this issue as well but he says it was solved by setting gravity to 20... Mine is and has always been set to 20 so I cant imagine that is my problem.

Any one else having this issue or is it just me? Any tips?

Thanks!

50. ChrisAllen

ChrisAllen

I've just finished the presentation for Lab 01 which can be viewed and played here

http://www.unity-projects.co.uk/click-and-click-walker-boys-lab-01/

I would welcome any comments, both about the game and the write up

Thanks
    Chris

update: I've added a post to my blog regarding the particle system in Unity 3.5. As it is different to the one used in the tutorials, I thought it might come in handy for people yet to do the Lab01 project

http://www.unity-projects.co.uk/shuriken-particle-system-lab-01/

and now I've found that you can use the old particle system with Unity 3.5.

Create an empty Game Object and from the components menu add Effects -> Legacy Particles -> and add: Ellipsoid Particle Emitter, Particle Animator and the Particle Renderer.

You now have the old legacy particle emitter on that empty gameobject. Just make sure you change the material of the particle to the default particle, found in the particle renderer.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012