Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 3absiso

3absiso

This is good news, although i am still at Mario 2D.
    thanx for your great work and i watched the videos of your UNITE 2011 you were amazing
    Thanx for yous tutorials

2. profcwalker

profcwalker

@3absiso: Good to hear. Thank you.

3. cmasterenko

cmasterenko

I'm having some trouble reseting my coin count to 0 after Mario dies in the Mario2D tutorial. I have everything working and a few levels done, but while I was testing I noticed that my coin count doesn't reset when I hit play again after I win or lose. I tried resetting my coin count in a few different places, but I must be overlooking something simple :/ If someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great. Thanks.

4. cmasterenko

cmasterenko

nevermind, it was a stupid mistake on my part, it works great now :)

5. ivanzu

ivanzu

6. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ivanzu: I'll check it out.

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

Ok,thanks!

8. Nomad72

Nomad72

My turn to say "Wow! Thank you for these awesome tutorials!"

I've only got up to the Javascript lessons so far, but the videos have been extremely useful. In fact, the very first time I ever opened Unity was while I was starting this series. In short, I had absolutely NO previous experience or knowledge to rely on and I've encountered no problems at all. Granted, I've not really "done" anything yet, but I feel pretty comfortable with the environment and am really looking forward to getting onto the Labs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  9. ivanzu

ivanzu

10. Nomad72

Nomad72

OK, I've finally worked my way through all the "intro" videos and have started Lab 1. I got a password after passing the 4th exam, but cannot find anyplace where this password would actually be required. Am I doing something wrong, or is there no actual "password-required" segment of the first lab?

Another quick question: the video on audio assets uses 3 different explosion sounds. Am I supposed to download those, or am I supposed to supply my own audio clips for the Lab?

11. tra2002

tra2002

@Nomad72 the password is not required anymore. They changed this recently. You can now go through the videos and such without a password. Also when there is a download they use those assets in their tutorial.

12. Nomad72

Nomad72

OK, thanks tra2002. I'm assuming I need to provide my own 3 explosion sounds, since I've not seen a link for downloading anything for Lab1.

13. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

Do you also know if they are still grading the presentations?

14. tra2002

tra2002

15. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@tra2002 Thanks man, I appreciate it!

16. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  17. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Are you guys ever going to do a C# equivalent? JS is kind of outdated and isn't really an industry standard.

18. profcwalker

profcwalker

@MikeyUchiha: There are no plans to convert these projects to C#, however many individuals have gone through the course and honed their skills further in C# by converting the projects from JavaScript.

19. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Aww alright. Thanks for your time. It looked amazing til I found out it wasn't C#. XD

20. dashbloom

dashbloom

I got one big problem... I can't import models to Unity coz it show me error. This one:
    Can anybody tell me what I doing wrong?

21. Nomad72

Nomad72

I'm just starting out with Unity, but I'm having no real problem translating the JS into C# as I go along. There are a few instances where you need a bit more than a straight translation of a line of code (for instance when dealing with Coroutines), but it's not a massive issue to use these tuts with C#.

@jonlemosz, thanks for the link.

I'm about finished with Lab1, just trying to figure out the code for making the sphere move in a circular pattern. Although I doubt my little "game" is likely to challenge Skyrim for earnings, it's been a very nice learning experience and I'm excited about moving on to the next Lab(s).

22. Nomad72

Nomad72

OK, the "sphere move in a circlular pattern" part is driving me nuts. Can someone point me in the right direction with this? I've tried various combinations of transform.Rotate and transform.Translate but it never does what I want (or expect!).

Edit: nevermind, I finally figured it out.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  23. profcwalker

profcwalker

@Dashbloom: It looks like you are trying to import the 3ds max files for the mario characters. Those files are intended for developers that have 3ds max installed. You will want to use the 3d Mario Clone Project Files from here, they have the exported fbx file type.

24. Nomad72

Nomad72

25. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@Nomad72: I used the following line based on the equations of circular movement:

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.Translate(radius * Mathf.Cos(Time.time * Mathf.PI), radius * Mathf.Sin(Time.time * Mathf.PI), 0);
    What did you use?

By the way, nice game!

26. Nomad72

Nomad72

@jonlemosz, I don't have a clue what your code means, lol. I'm going to have to brush up on my mathematics a good deal. My code was completely different...

Code (csharp):
    2. [SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas]transform.Rotate(0, 0, 0.5f, Space.Self);[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
    3. [FONT=Consolas][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Consolas] transform.Translate(Vector3.up * Time.deltaTime*2, Space.Self);[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    The only issue I had with this is that I pretty much had to "spawn" new spheres in the same spot to prevent the orbit taking the sphere outside of the gameview. Also, I had to reset the rotation of the sphere when "spawning" it.

27. profcwalker

profcwalker

Lab Project 5 - 3D Mario Clone is now available for watching and downloading. If you see anything that needs corrected or added to, just drop me an email. Thank you.

Also, all unity project training videos and files are available for download here.

Our latest numbers:
    1 Year of Video Training
    540,000 video plays
    131 countries viewing out of 196 total countries in the world
    11,800 Exams taken
    700+ Labs Completed

Many of you are nearly complete with all your WBS video training. For those interested in a Certificate, be sure to follow the directions below (Also found on our website).

Here’s how you can receive the ‘Walker Boys Studio Course Certificate in Unity 3D Game Development’ and a WBS Certificate image for your website.

1. Complete and pass all exams (We’ll be keeping track of that automatically).
    2. Complete all five Lab projects (The Details and minimum requirements must be met).
    3. Post all five projects to your website (Must meet all Presentation requirements).
    4. Send a link to both Chad and Eric, so we can review the Lab projects and Presentations.
    Email: cwalker at walkerboystudio dot com
    Email: ewalker at walkerboystudio dot com
    5. In your email to us include a mailing address (physical address) so we can send the certificate to you on completion of the Unity Training!

That is it. Five steps and you can have your very own ‘Walker Boys Studio Course Certificate in Unity 3D Game Development'. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  28. Nomad72

Nomad72

ProfCWalker, just to verify: we still do need to email our Lab links to both of you, despite the other post you made saying you were not going to be providing feedback on Labs?

29. profcwalker

profcwalker

@Nomad72: Great question. Initially the lab projects had passwords so that individuals were required to complete each step in order. With all the videos open, the only thing we require is a link to your website containing all five labs. Email us only when you have all five labs complete and ready to present.
    Remember, this applies only to those that want the WBS Certificate. :) Thanks.

30. Nomad72

Nomad72

I know it doesn't apply to me just yet, but I'm very glad to see the Mario 3D clone videos are up - and that all the videos are now available for download. Thank you for all the effort you and your brother have put in!

31. divertoso

divertoso

hi Erick

I finally finished my 3 lab:

Sprites

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38903599/lab03-sprite/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Time

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38903599/lab03-time/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

there is the structure folders that i use:

Scenes
    Textures
    Fonts
    GUISkins
    Prefabs
    Materials
    Scripts
    Shaders
    Objects

Your Name Rafael Carvalho
    Timeframe (Start Date to End Date) 29/11/2011 - 05/12/2011
    Project Detail - What did you do, exactly.basicly i follow the video instructions
    Software Used only unity 3d
    Final Thoughts - Reflect for moment (Postmortem) i think some video too long (+ 20 min) it is tiring (you should consider do videos auntil 10 minutes)

I'm anxious for the password to lab 04 thaks

(sorry for my english, i'm brazilian)

32. XIKO

XIKO

:D:D:D
    Thx!
    very very much!
    :p:p:p:p:p:p

33. profcwalker

profcwalker

Just to let you know, our site is down for a bit (First time in 8 years). :) We should have things resolved shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

34. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@Nomad72, you actually nailed the simplest and easiest version. I guess I just geeked out on that one, lol.

35. XIKO

XIKO

I cant get download files 3D Mario Clone Project Files (250 mbs)..
    Why? :(

36. profcwalker

profcwalker

@xn4k3d: Hum. I just tried it and everything worked fine.

Also, I had to remove the training video file downloads from the site, it was getting hit too much for my site. I'm currently uploading the files to mediafire. If anyone would like them mirrored on different spots, just let me know. Thank you.

37. XIKO

XIKO

@ProfCWalker
    I get down files! thx!

I have a problem when I run the "play" the error appears "dt> = 0". What is this? Help me!

Ah, and do not forget momem! I'm your fan! You are amazing!:eek:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  38. profcwalker

profcwalker

@xn4k3d: That is part of the first jump if the second and third jump have not been programmed. Be sure that you have the second and third jump completed and that will go away. :)

In terms of what dt> = 0 is: http://answers.unity3d.com/answers/152577/view.html (Has to do with the length of an animation)

39. XIKO

XIKO

@ProfCWalker
    I understood!
    Then the error dt> = 0 this is?
    thanks man!

40. Nomad72

Nomad72

41. Nomad72

Nomad72

I'm busy with Lab 3 now, in particular the 2D animation tool part, and I'm a bit lost. I've got no "artistic knowledge" at all, so when whichever Walker brother it is talks about diffuse maps/uv's etc etc, I've got NO idea what on earth he is talking about. Is some art background necessary for this? And if so, is there a website that can explain all these terms to a complete dummy?

42. tra2002

tra2002

43. Nomad72

Nomad72

Thank you, tra2002 - that's very useful! It's amazing to me how many "noob programming tuts for artists" there are... and how few "noob art tuts for programmers" there are :)

44. tra2002

tra2002

@Nomad72 I have been learning this Unity and some graphic design since the beginning of this year and found that sometimes trying to find good learning resources is hard. Most times you get the google it response. For art tuts I have found a lot of tutorials for the chat junkies to make avatars and things to show off during their chat sessions to be very good. Google paint shop pro tutorials you will find a lot of art tutorials that might not be game design and might not be the program you use but the technics can be used for game design and just modify the techncs for the program you use.

45. Nomad72

Nomad72

@ProfCWalker

I've discovered a minor error in Lab3, part 4 of the Timer Tool (video entitled 'part 4 tool time step 3 print time to gui'). Maybe it's something that is corrected later on, I'm not sure.

The "problem" is that when you are using

Code (csharp):
    1. GUILayout.Label(minutes.ToString("f2"));
    ... the minutes value will round up as soon as the seconds value gets to 30. In the video you talk about the fact that minutes will change when seconds get to 60, but it doesn't actually work that way.

The solution I've found to make it work properly is this:

Code (csharp):
    1.   GUILayout.Label("Minutes: " + Mathf.Floor(minutes).ToString());
    As I said above, this might actually be resolved in one of the later videos so maybe my post is unneccessary, but it may be useful for anyone else who notices the incorrect minutes value.

46. clxyeah

clxyeah

Can anybody explain why that in Lab Project 2 my shield script for the health and strength of the shield isn't working, here is the code

Code (csharp):
    2. // Script Shield
    5. // Inspector Variables
    6. var shieldHealth    : int   = 2;            // How often can shield be hit
    8. // Private Variables
    11. function Update ()
    12. {
    13.     if (shieldHealth <= 0)
    14.     {
    15.         Destroy(gameObject);
    16.     }
    17. }
    18. // Shield Function
    19. function OnTriggerEnter ( other : Collider )
    20. {
    21.     if (other.tag == "Astroid")
    22.     {
    23.         shieldHealth -=1;
    24.     }
    25. }
    I can't seem to get the Shield Health to subtract once every time hit, and Yes both the Astriod and the Shield are both isTriggers.

47. Nomad72

Nomad72

Have you assigned a rigidbody to both the asteroid and the shield? I seem to remember that without the rigidbody assigned to the shield, mine didn't "register" collisions either.

48. clxyeah

clxyeah

I didn't originally have it assigned, but when added it still didn't work, any other ideas?

49. Nomad72

Nomad72

This might be a completely useless suggestion.... but the tag you are checking for in OnCollionEnter is "Astroid". You might want to verify that it's actually spelt that way in the tags in the inspector (i.e. that it's actually not spelt "Asteroid" in your inspector)

50. clxyeah

clxyeah

Unfortunately , no, the tag is done right :(, it just doesn't make sense :(