Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Nomad72

Nomad72

Going back to my Lab2 files, I actually had the shield collision detection done in the asteroid file. I'm not sure if it would actually make a difference but you could try putting a

Code (csharp):
    3. if(other.tag=="shield")
    4. {
    5.      print("asteroid hit shield");
    6. }
    check into your asteroid file's OnTriggerEnter(), just to see if that collision is actually picked up. If it still doesnt work, then you have some issue with the setup of your rigidbodies/tags etc. Whenever something doesn't work, there is always a logical explanation :)

2. clxyeah

clxyeah

for some reason, that still didn't work, just going through a check list here
    - Both "is trigger"
    - Have tried both with/ without rigidbodies
    - Tag's are Correct
    Can anybody lend me there shield script :(, it makes no sense why this isn't working :(

3. Nomad72

Nomad72

You do have the shield script attached to your shield prefab?

On the face of it, it doesn't make sense.... but figuring out these sorts of problems is part of programming, and although it's frustrating as hell right now, it's also an opportunity to learn. You learn more by fixing things that have gone wrong, than by everything working first time.

Without actually having access to your project, the only thing I can recommend is that you don't get fixated on the idea on the idea that somehow the game engine is at fault. Obviously, there is a problem... your job as the programmer is to find it. That is not very helpful, I know... but it's still the reality.

Edit: I don't mean to come across as some sort of expert on these matter, lol. I'm a begginer just like you, and I've had several "wtf?" problems that have made no sense to me either. Still, solving them has involved learning things I otherwise would not have.

4. clxyeah

clxyeah

One problem i've noticed though, is that the Astroid itself doesn't hit the shield, it goes straight through? It doesn't collide with the shield itself, it goes straight through?

5. Nomad72

Nomad72

O, I've just thought of something. Remember that although this is a 2D game, the objects are still actually in 3D space. So, you need to go and look at your shield prefab, and make sure the transform position z value is the same as the z value for the asteroids and your player ship. If it's inadvertently got a different z value, the objects will never collide, no matter what else you do.

6. clxyeah

clxyeah

No, they defiantly are the same on the Z value, even when they were close i looked in the scene view and saw they were the same :(

7. Nomad72

Nomad72

Hmmmm.... then I'm fresh out of ideas. You are going to have to fiddle around until you find the answer.

If you like, you can zip your project files and email them to me at keith.goddard72 at gmail.com and I will see if I can figure out the problem, although I can't guarantee that I'll find the answer.

8. clxyeah

clxyeah

I got it working! It seemed the radius was off place, reset it and starting working! Thanks for all your help Nomad!

9. Silvershadow

Silvershadow

Is it possible to make the script example files you used in the video series for java scripting and api overview available for download?
    Could be used as a reference for the semantic and would be a nice overview.

10. clxyeah

clxyeah

11. tra2002

tra2002

@clxyeah Good job, I like it :)

12. profcwalker

profcwalker

@clxyeah: Just now checking the posts. Sounds like you got everything going. Great work. The extra elements added a fun level of gameplay. It definitely shows well for all the work you put in to it. :)

@Silvershadow: Actually that's the one thing we don't include, intentionally. I would encourage you to work through the javascript and api videos so that you can create your own personal set of references to use.

13. Nomad72

Nomad72

@clxyeah, good stuff, glad to see you got it all working.

@tra2002, how is your progress through the tutorials going? I'm done with Lab3, about 1/3 of the way through Lab4 (which has been a ton of fun!). Really enjoying this series, and learning so much.

14. tra2002

tra2002

@Nomad72 I have completed all but the Lab 5 - 3D Mario Clone which I have watched some of the videos and went through some of it but I have been working on a few projects and hard finding the time to get into it. Hoping to complete it by the end of the holiday season though. Here is what I did with the click and click lab I added a lot like a game manager that I can quickly add levels through the inspector and just set up everything there. I also added little bonuses and such to the game manager but haven't compiled that version into a web player yet. Still need to make some models to replace the place holders I have and also pretty up the interface.

http://www.ihdlive.com/WebBuilds/ClickandClick/WebPlayer/

15. Nomad72

Nomad72

That's impressive stuff, tra2002, quite a bit of extra stuff added in! There is a lot there that is still way beyond my current skill levels. I'm extremely happy with the progress I'm making with these Walker Boys tutorials, but with each thing I learn... I realize there are 234 other things I still need to learn. Sigh. Oh well, nobody ever said you could learn this game development thing over a weekend or two :)

16. tra2002

tra2002

Really using the tutorials from Walker Boys and listening to there helpful tips through out the videos, and a vivid imagination is a very good starting point. At first when I was trying to learn all this I was thinking huge, how to create a whole game but I soon realized I do not want to think that way because then I just overwhelm myself. Think small from your example don't worry about the full 234 things to learn, just find the 1-10 you want to use and learn those items. Then later if you find you need something that wasn't in your original 1 - 10 items just learn the 1 new thing. Before you know it you have accidentally learned all 234 things.

17. zaniocz

zaniocz

Hi everyone, I am in the part 3 (Tool Folder Creator Add Menu Item) of training video series 6, the project 3, and I have a question, How is the Shortcut to quick restart the interfaz of unity to delete the menu item wrong?, excuse me if in the video say that. but I can not yet understand all the pronunciation from english, thanks for the help, and thanks for the walker boys training tutorials, this tutorials are really help full to me.

18. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@zaniocz: Actually, what Prof. Walker is doing is pausing the video, restarting Unity and then resuming again. I don't think there's a shortcut for that. By the way, if you speak Spanish just let me know.

19. zaniocz

zaniocz

hmmm... @jonlemosz: Thanks, I thought the same in that moment, but I tried to find something to make me feel sure for that, for instance, the movement of the mouse cursor, but the mouse cursor stand in the same position between restarting of unity, :) , LOL , that accurate ¡¡¡, ok, so, is restarting unity , thanks... y si mi idioma nativo es el español, gracias de nuevo.

20. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@zaniocz: Great! If you have any other doubts about the videos just let me know. Greetings from Popayán, Colombia!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  21. bwelling

bwelling

Walker boys,

Wow! What a great learning tool! I love the experiment of keeping this tutorial free. You have done a fantastic and thorough job... definitely a class act.

I have gone through the first few tutorials, taken the quizzes, and completed Lab 1. It's ready for grading.

Is this all I need to do to get you to take a look at it?

Blake

22. zaniocz

zaniocz

Que alegria encontrar gente de mi patria en estos foros ¡¡¡ saludos desde Manizales ¡¡¡ (excuse me for the offtopic )

23. Nomad72

Nomad72

@bwelling, the process has changed a bit in recent times. You should post links to your Labs here, and have other people take a look at what you've done. The Walker Boys will only really "take a look" at your work once you have completed all 5 labs. This makes sense - from a pure time investment perspective, it must have been quite a challenge for them to look at every single completed Lab 1 and Lab2. I suspect that only a small percentage of people actually get through all 5 Labs - they do get progressivley more challenging and time consuming, so finishing all 5 requires a serious commitment to the task.

This thread doesn't seem to be very lively lately, but there are still some of us who are actively working through the Labs.

As for what you've done so far in Lab1, you seem have accomplished the basics but none of the "on your own" tasks (see this page http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_lab_1.html , "On Your Own" section). These "homework" assignments are your chance to go a little beyond what was covered in the videos, and ensure that you understand what you are doing. They really are worth doing!

24. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@zaniocz: the same, man! :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  25. organicoder

organicoder

Where did the videos 19 - 29 on Vimeo go? Are they gone, or am I looking the wrong spot?

And thanks alot for the tutorial :)

26. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

27. CaioMGA

CaioMGA

Oh! Tears! Thank you! Very Helpful site.

28. frabill

frabill

Thanks these are GREAT!! :)

29. cmasterenko

cmasterenko

I'm trying to port my lab 4 over to iPhone just for the practice and I'm having a huge issue with Mario. He looks great in Unity on my Mac but once I do a build to test my game out Mario only shows up as a black rectangle. I suspect it has something to do with the shader or the texture settings but I've played around with them quite extensively with no luck. Does anyone know what could be going wrong? Thanks.

30. Chizambers

Chizambers

Your website and training program are simply amazing. I have gone through the first 3 sections of the training course and have learned a lot. I am a newbie at Unity, but have been putting a lot of time and effort into learning the software. It's nice to be seeing results. The JavaScript sections have been especially helpful as I only have a very basic understanding of programming, but it's an area I want to learn more about so that I can get Unity based games to perform how I want.

Thank you very much for putting these tutorials together. They are proving to be an invaluable resource.

31. agentsmith

agentsmith

Can anyone share the completed scripts? My HD went out and I didn't have a backup of the project; I really don't want to have to spend another week to go through it again. PM me if you can help. Thanks!

- Jordan

32. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

Hello Professors Walker,

I just wanted to ask you where I can find instructions for working on the scene called "Tutorial 25 - Level Design Basics" from Lab 4.

Best regards!

33. Nomad72

Nomad72

@jonlemosz, I also wondered the same thing. It seems that the last few scenes in the downloaded project files are all "do it yourself" homework, although the last video in the series does briefly mention some stuff about it.

34. Rpixel

Rpixel

I'm a new one with Unity, and this tutorial is very very helpfull. Thank you so much :)

35. Eidolan

Eidolan

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before but at the moment I don't have the time to read all 37 pages, I'm having a problem with the 2nd terrain video, hes importing a height map from C:\newfolder. Now I obvious don't have the same "new folder" on my computer so where do I find a terrain height map on my computer? I tryed looking for anything that had a .raw but nothing on my system was compatible

36. Nomad72

Nomad72

There is no height map, so just ignore that part. Don't worry about it, all the rest of the resources you need will be available.

37. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

@Nomad72 Yeah, I guess we have to figure it out by ourselves :S

38. Chizambers

Chizambers

Just have to say, thanks a million for putting these training videos together. They are by far the best free training resource I have found for any software I have ever tried to learn. I just finished the clicking game section, and actually feel like I am understanding the coding process. What impressed me the most though was how in your videos you constantly refer back to the Unity Script Reference. One of my biggest problems has always been the question "how to I code something I don't already know how to do?". I never knew how to find the resources I needed with other software, but you guys do a great job of demonstrating how to use the reference library, and show how valuable it really is.

Thank you!

39. everygamer

everygamer

Hey, I just wanted to post a thank you for these resources. I am just starting the Walker Boys online course and looking forward to the challenges.

Quick question, the course website link on http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_syllabus.html is nolonger working. Is there a new link.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  40. profcwalker

profcwalker

@Nomad72: Thanks for the comments along the way with the other guys. :) It's always appreciated.

@bwelling: Yes, when it comes to reviewing the projects, we've pulled it mainly back to final comments when everything is completed. I did take a look at your project and everything looks good for the basics. It would be really great if you could add the 'on your own' as was suggested earlier. That's one part of the project that will help stretch and test your new found knowledge. :)

@cmasterenko: Great question. I haven't ported the project over yet, but from the sounds of it, it has something to do with Repeat/Clamp for the wrap mode on the texture. You may want to check that first. Be sure that it is set for Repeat so the offsetting will still work.

@Chizambers: We're glad the unity training videos are working out for you. It's also good to hear you are putting some quality time and hours into your training. And thank you, that (api usage) was one area among many we wanted to be sure was understand.

@Agent Smith: Sorry to hear you lost a project. I'm not quite sure what/which one you are asking for? I would suggest going through the tutorials again and be sure to backup along the way.

@jonlemosz: Actually those are for you to work with. We don't have support videos for them. One of our projects down the road will be to provide a full course in just level design basics for 2d, 3d games. It's more involved than we have time for at the moment, but it's on our radar. :)

@Rpixel: Great to have you here. Thanks for posting.

@Eidolan: That is correct, there is no image file for that. You can have fun and create one on your own or download one from the internet (example).

@everygamer: I just tried the link you provided and everything works. Try refreshing your browser when you go to the site. Let me know if you have any further issues. Thank you.

41. cmasterenko

cmasterenko

So, after a lot of searching and asking I did figure out why Mario isn't appearing for iOS just in case anyone else is trying to port. The largest texture that seems to be supported for iOS is 2048x2048 and the sprite sheet provided was 4096x4096, so I resized it in photoshop and now it shows up! However, I now have a separate issue. Mario seems to only be doing one animation no matter what I push or where he's going (he moves just fine, but it looks like he's floating because only idle right plays). Does anyone know how to fix that?

42. b3y0nd3r

b3y0nd3r

Just wanted to congratulate you Walker boys for the amazing work you have done.

I have a question, when will the video series be available for download? I would love to watch them in my iPad

thanks!

43. lockart

lockart

The tutorials are awesome ProfC I have learned many things about Unity specially the scripting part... I have gone through the exams and followed the first tutorial.
    and here is my final result.. please check it. http://naki.x10.mx/Unity/
    Thanks!.. :)

44. jonlemosz

jonlemosz

45. b3y0nd3r

b3y0nd3r

Thanks for the links. But the links of the video series are not working, maybe the links are wrong, or the server is down. The project files links seems to be ok, though.

46. profcwalker

profcwalker

@b3y0nd3r: Great question. We had them up for a bit, but our host shut it down after a few hours of getting hit hard on the bandwidth usage. We're looking at getting them up sometime this month and will post a link when we do. Thank you.

47. awes0meaxel

awes0meaxel

I'm gonna start the course. Do i have to fill up a signup form? or do i just start watching vids and doing what it says?

48. rockysam888

rockysam888

Just start watching video directly.
    Fill signup form only when you are ready for testing.

49. Branks

Branks

Any chance of these being purchasable on DVD or BluRay? Something that doesn't require streaming. Thanks in advance!

50. zChen

zChen