Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Hey guys how long does it take once you submit a project generally

2. Kale

Kale

Usually one or 2 days, but I think they have a project going on now. Might've mentioned in one of the previous posts? So it might be longer.

3. clip911

clip911

TBerg : Really beautiful game

4. sakocs

sakocs

5. Kale

Kale

Nice. Definitely nicely done. You probably should've used transparency on your items and make some sort of animation to let users know they died... but other than that, everything was well done.

6. Tberg

Tberg

clip911: thx buddy :)

sakocs: hey, same model I've borrowed for the spaceship ;)

7. sakocs

sakocs

@tberg Yeah it is a cool model

8. shadowfox

shadowfox

Code (csharp):
    1. // enemy script
    3. // inspector var
    4.    var numberOfClicks: int = 2;
    5. // private var
    6. [CODE]// player script
    8. // inspector var
    9.   var scriptEnemy;
    11. var tagName : String;     // allow the desiner to setup a tag in the inspector
    12. var rayDistance: float = 0; // length of the ray for our raycast
    13. // private var
    15. // update called every frame
    16. function Update ()
    17. {
    18. // mose button to select on go in objects of scene
    19.  if(Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
    20.   {
    21.       print("Yes the button works!");
    22.       var hit: RaycastHit;
    23.       var ray:Ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition);// get mouse position
    24.    //Casts a ray against all colliders in the scene and returns detailed information on what was hit.
    25.   if(Physics.Raycast(ray,hit,rayDistance))
    26.       {
    27.        if(hit.transform.tag == tagName)
    28.        {
    29.        //var position = Vector3(Random.Range(-3,3),Random.Range(-4,4),0);  //new random positon for the gameobject
    30.        //hit.transform.position = position; // move the gameobject to a new location
    31.        var enemyScript = hit.transform.GetComponent(scriptEnemy);
    32.       enemyScript.numberOfClicks -=1;
    33.        print("you hit an object");
    34.        }
    35.        else
    36.        {
    37.        print("This is not an enemy!");
    38.        }
    39.      }
    40.    }
    41.  }
    // update is called every frame
    function Update ()
    {
    if(numberOfClicks <= 0)
    {
    var position = Vector3(Random.Range(-3,3),Random.Range(-4,4),0); //new random positon for the gameobject
    transform.position = position; // move the gameobject to a new location
    numberOfClicks = 2;
    }
    }
    // respawn wait time is used to hide a game object for a set amount of time then unhid it
    function RespawnwaitTime()
    {

}
    // radom clolor is used to change out the material of a game object
    function RandomColor()
    {

}[/CODE]
    Hello I'm having a problem with lab one on the player script I keep getting a null reference not set to an instance of an object it's the player script this line enemyScript.numberOfClicks -=1;

9. Stec

Stec

@shadowfox
    There are two ways to get a reference to the script you want, you can use GetComponent with Type, or script name.

Code (csharp):
    2. // Example for the Type
    4. // The type is actually the name of the script that you want to call
    5. var variableName : Type = transform.GetComponent(Type);  
    7. // Your code would look like this, I assumed that the scriptEnemy is the name of the script you want to call:
    8. var enemyScript : scriptEnemy = hit.transform.GetComponent(scriptEnemy);
    12. // Example for the script name
    14. // It search for the script named "script name" in gameObject or transform you specified
    15. var variableName = transform.GetComponent("script name");
    17. // Your code would look like this:
    18. var enemyScript  = hit.transform.GetComponent("scriptEnemy");
    It is better to use it with a Type because it is a bit faster. In your code you have: var enemyScript which you want to show in inspector, but the variable will not show in inspector if you do not specified it's type or set the value for it. But as you see you actually don't need that variable.

10. txzzo

txzzo

I saw some of your videos a while ago and now that I finally have some time left over i want to get started with this again.
    but it asked me for my password when I try to watch a video. :(
    What is the password, or I do Anny thing wrong?

/ / Txzzo

11. Kale

Kale

You need to pass the tests to be given the passwords for Lab1. After that, they are given to you upon completion.

12. pskicker

pskicker

ignore this post

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  13. pskicker

pskicker

ignore this post

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  14. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Any idea when Lab 5 will be coming out? I will be finished Lab 3 tonight, starting Lab 4 tomorrow hopefully (they are usually pretty quick responding), and Lab 5 says end of Summer 2011.. but I'm not sure what season is it for you in the states now.. Autumn right? Which is after summer. It's Spring for me :)

15. Kale

Kale

More or less the beginning of autumn.

I too am waiting for Lab 5... but trust me Lab 4 will take a while. It's ridiculously longer than the other labs... or so it seemed to me.

16. pskicker

pskicker

when I watched the videos, it no longer needs the password.

17. Kale

Kale

Huh... it seems so. I haven't checked until now, but I guess passwords are no longer on the videos.

18. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

We just returned from the Unite 2011 conference. We had a wonderful opportunity to speak on Thursday, for the Unity for Educators session, which went over very well (I think). :)

For all those in attendance, we want to say, “Thank you”, for the support and kindness you showed us. It was much appreciated. :)

As many of you know, Eric and I were collecting data on our training videos over the past 10 months to help provide some validity to Unity training. Our goals were simple, help out the Unity Community with videos that taught on Unity Training and make it free. We made it similar to the way we like to teach in the classroom and tried to keep it fun and challenging.

During our presentation we provided some fun numbers being kept along the way. Below is a list of a few of them.

10 Months out – nearly a year of testing
    400,000 video plays (almost)
    122 countries viewing out of 196 total countries in the world
    8,500+ Exams taken
    600+ Labs Completed
    100’s of Websites created
    20+ high schools, 2 junior high, and a dozen+ college/universities using the material​

So, as some of you have noticed, the passwords have been lifted. That may raise a few questions for you. I would like to take a moment and see if I can answer the basic ones here.

What does this mean for…

1. You, the student using Unity Training Videos
    You can now jump around in any order that you like. Personally, for the highest level of success rate, we would suggest sticking to the course outlined and completing each step before moving on.​

Just a side note: During our 10 month study, several groups were allowed full use of the videos, of which we found their success/completion rate was very low, due to a lack of foundations, motivation through completion and goal setting. So, remember if you really want this, we’d suggest starting from the beginning and building your skills up in order. :)

2. Why no more Passwords?
    It’s primarily for the Instructors. Before, we were the ‘instructors’ for all the Labs. By opening this up, we are encouraging instructors and teachers to become the ‘gatekeepers’ in their classrooms. Teachers now have the opportunity to readily use this material in the classroom to assist in training, to grade the labs and provide the quizzes and exams needed to meet the requirements of their educational programs. (Where to get all this….read below)​

3. Personal Grading and checking of Unity Lab Projects
    Lab projects for the future, can be posted here on the forums for friends, family and critiques to review and enjoy.

Up till now, we (Eric and I) have been personally grading each and every wonderful lab project that was created. As of now, we will no longer be providing any feedback on Labs. We will actively be watching the thread and checking out labs from there. It’s a tough decision for us (stepping back); we’ve kept up with many, many (a lot) of you and truly enjoyed watching your passion and skills grow throughout the course.​

4. Helping the new guys and gals with the Labs
    We encourage anyone that has made their way through the tutorials already, to help the new people, and to go back through and find elements of your Labs that you are most proud of. The parts and pieces that were created from scratch and really moved the Labs forward. Post those pieces as unity packages or script files, so others can review it, study it, and even try to implement it in to their own code.

We have seen some really great projects and wonderful additions to the Labs. I think it would be amazing to start seeing posts here with the ‘extras’ available to the community.

In addition: One of the best ways to know Unity, is to teach it. If you did something cool with the Labs and want to post a tutorial (or link) about it, that would be excellent. ​

5. The Walker Boys future Unity Training Videos
    Yes, there is and will be a Mario 3d clone video series released. It’s looking like it will be in November.

In addition, we’ll also be filling out the rest of the video series on the Unity Editor, including all the components (with examples), and everything else that’s there. Sometime in December.

We are also considering translating all of the material and video (audio) to Spanish, if there is enough interest (Email us on this one).

Then, we’ll take a short break from the Unity Training, work on some more games and templates…then gear up for more training videos. :)

6. Where is the Presentation Material from the Unite 2011 Conference and what’s included?
    The actual files will be uploaded at the end of this week (Oct 8th, 2011)
    http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unite2011.html

Unity Course Material (Daily Planner, Syllabus, Assignments, Labs, Quizzes, Exams)
    Unity Videos - Download the complete set of videos (Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
    Unite 2011 Presentation (Prezi file)
    Unity Resources and Links we find most useful
    And anything else we can put in.

We want to thank each of you for making the training videos such a successful venture. We have literally received 1,000’s of ‘Thank you’ emails over the past 10 months, and with your excitement for Unity and your passion for game development, this has been a wonderful blessing and experience to be a part of.

Thank you,
    Walker Boys

19. Stec

Stec

@ProfCWalker
    I'm glad you had nice time at Unite and you deserve to speak there because this is by far the most complete Unity training series I saw.
    I think that removing the passwords is a good idea, there are a lot of guys (and maybe a few girls) that are not absolute beginners in Unity and would like to watch a tutorial about specific subject, the passwords wouldn't allow them. This is not a high school, we are all here because we want to learn Unity, so it is logical that we will try to watch as many tutorials as we can find. That leads us to grading, another great decision (by my opinion), until now many of us was rushed to finish your objectives and pass the lab, now everyone can specify their own objectives, learn a lot more and the games itself could be much more creative.
    I think that would be a good idea to put a link to this thread on every lab page, for questions, so that you don't get a lot of e-mails with questions that could be easily answered here.
    Again, thank you very much for doing this and I'm looking forward to new videos.

Krunoslav

20. guilmetted

guilmetted

The Educator Session was one of the best I attended during Unite 11! Thanks for all your hard work in supporting the Unity community - can't wait for your course material to be posted. Thanks again for a great session!

21. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice now i can finally see that 2d mario clone game lol :)Thanks!

22. fabioluizfs

fabioluizfs

Mario 3D, only in November! I have already started my 3d game. Let's see who finishes the game first! Check it out : BotPlanet .

23. myx2

myx2

24. Kale

Kale

That was definitely nicely done.

You actually implemented changes with the blocks breaking in different sizes. A lot of it seemed like the original game as well. Only thing that I can readily identify, gameplay-wise was the fact that it still spawns a mushroom when you're big but that is aminor detail and is easily rectifiable and you obviously know how to fix it if you had wanted to.

25. angel38

angel38

Well, I can't decide if the decision if good or bad, because I liked the challenge. XD

Thank you a lot Walker Boys, the tutorials are very helpfull to me and my developer Team....

About the translation into spanish... WE WANT!!!.....

26. rstehwien

rstehwien

27. Kale

Kale

Definitely both are very nice. Not to mention you did much more than was required.

I was never able to get many of the other weapons for the space shooter though.

28. rstehwien

rstehwien

Thanks Kale.

Adding weapons or pickups is pretty easy with my design. Each pickup you see falling implements an IPickup interface that has an ApplyToPlayer(Player player) function. All of the pickups hide themselves and stop falling when ApplyToPlayer is called. Non-weapons then do their thing (like adding a life) and destroy themselves. Weapons add themselves to the player's secondary weapon slot.

Each weapon implements IWeapon interface which has a RemainingAmmo property and Fire(Transform secondarySlot) function. When the player presses the secondary fire input it checks to see if remaining ammo > 0. If not it destroys the weapon and clears the slot. If it is Fire is called. Each weapon then does its thing for fire and decrements the ammo.... well the double shot has infinite ammo so it always reports there is one bullet left.

If I was doing this for real, I'd refactor a few things. First I don't like that I'm keeping a pickup around in the manner that I am. I'd probably have a pickup carrier that does the falling and has a payload of the given item that is then given to the player and does what I do above and the carrier does some sort of destruction animation. The item wouldn't know anything about movement. There were a few other things I'd do too clean it up.

But it was a tutorial and I'd learned what I came there for.

I considered adding solid beam lasers or other pickups but I eventually felt I was putting "lipstick on a pig" so to speak. I really wanted to get to the tools and then 2d mario clone. Looking forward to 3d mario clone.

29. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Problems with Lab 2

everything was going smoothly until I added the shield , the shield comes on fine but doesn't get destroyed , the script is exact I have the tags added and trigger on also when I duplicate the asteroid to add more they stick in one spot and do not move.
    has anyone had this problem.

30. rstehwien

rstehwien

I had some trouble with the shield not getting collision events because the player was a rigidbody + collider and the shield was a child of the player. When the shield wasn't a child the events happened properly. 2 Solutions were to either make the shield a rigidbody or the player only a collider.

If the shield isn't moving, it probably isn't a child of the player. Make sure you set the shield.transform.parent = player.transform

If it is that your new asteroids aren't moving... are you sure they have the script attached?

31. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

I solved the porblem with the shield added getcomponent shield to the asteriod script. As for the asteroid still having the same problem , I just been dupilcating the asteroid in the hierarchy which is the prefab put still no luck.
    if I remove the second asteroid then the orginal asteroid moves again and if I dupicate it the both sit still and i get killed buy a invisible asteroid.
    not sure whats happening.

32. Kale

Kale

post the code for your asteroid.

33. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

var astroidSpeed : float = 4.0;
    var explosion : Transform;
    var sceneManager : GameObject;
    var eulerAngleVelocity : Vector3 = Vector3 (0, 100, 0);

function Update ()
    {
    transform.Translate (Vector3.down *astroidSpeed * Time.deltaTime);

if(transform.position.y <= -6)
    {
    ResetEnemy();
    }
    }

function OnTriggerEnter(other:Collider)
    {
    if(other.gameObject.tag == "Player")
    {
    other.GetComponent("script ship").lives -= 1;

sceneManager.transform.GetComponent("scriptSceneManager").SubtractLife();

if(explosion)
    {
    Instantiate (explosion , transform.position , transform.rotation);
    }
    ResetEnemy();
    }
    if(other.gameObject.tag == "shield")
    {
    other.GetComponent("shield").shieldStrength -= 1;
    if(explosion)
    {
    Instantiate (explosion , transform.position , transform.rotation);
    }
    ResetEnemy();
    }
    }

function ResetEnemy()
    {
    transform.position.y = 8;
    transform.position.x = Random.Range (-3.2 ,3.2 );
    }

function FixedUpdate () {
    var deltaRotation : Quaternion = Quaternion.Euler(eulerAngleVelocity * Time.deltaTime);
    rigidbody.MoveRotation(rigidbody.rotation * deltaRotation);
    }

34. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

figured it out thanks for the help

35. fabioluizfs

fabioluizfs

Hello everybody, someone knows about some tutorial that shows how to make cool game UI with unity?

36. Adeno

Adeno

I really hope someone would make a similar thing such as the Walker Boys tutorials but intended for C# programmers:)

Anyway I'll give this a try even if I'm a C# guy, might as well learn a thing or two on how to use Javascript.

37. prefix

prefix

Excellent Work! I have been through most of these tuts already, and will go through the rest to get a refresher!

BTW each time I watch a new tut from a source, I learn "something" new. A "hotkey" or a "shortcut". Great information!

Thanks!

38. prefix

prefix

There are a plethora of tutorials that deal in this. You can start here

39. xzile40

xzile40

Very neat. I may look into this, since it seems to be step by step. I'm in high school (and currently in school as I type this, trying to learn unity3d) and happened to see this. Read up, got ready to start, clicked the first part for the video tutorials / whatnot, and it was blocked by the school blocker (the thing everybody hates in school where it blocks games / anything interesting. lol). We're going to see what we can do here to unblock it and get this going for me. :)

40. darrenl

darrenl

I'm having some frustrating issues with lab 4 right now. I can't get the part working were mario can move while he jumps. When he does jump, he only will move in the forward x direction. I've put in print statements in the !controller.isGrounded if block to troubleshoot, and the code is getting there, it just doesn't seem to pick up the key presses while he's in the air.

Everything looks correct. I think it might be something in the Input Project settings, but nothing obvious is jumping out.

Here is the code:

var speed : float = 3.0;
    var jumpSpeed : float = 8.0;
    var gravity : float = 20.0;

private var moveDirection : Vector3 = Vector3.zero;

function Update()
    {
    var controller : CharacterController = GetComponent(CharacterController);

if(controller.isGrounded)
    {
    moveDirection = Vector3(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), 0, 0);
    moveDirection = transform.TransformDirection(moveDirection);
    moveDirection *= speed;

if (Input.GetButton("Jump") !Input.GetButton("Fire1"))
    {
    moveDirection.y = jumpSpeed;
    }
    if (Input.GetButtonDown("Jump") Input.GetButton("Fire1"))
    {
    moveDirection.y = jumpSpeed + 5.0;
    }
    }
    if(!controller.isGrounded)
    {
    moveDirection.x = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    moveDirection.x = speed;
    }

moveDirection.y -= gravity * Time.deltaTime;
    controller.Move(moveDirection * Time.deltaTime);
    }

I've attached a screenie of the settings as well.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  41. darrenl

darrenl

/sigh....nevermind...I found it.

If you look carefully, in my code for not being grounded I have:
    {
    moveDirection.x = speed;
    }

...it should be:

{
    moveDirection.x *= speed;
    }

/smacks head

:)

42. tra2002

tra2002

43. Stec

Stec

@tra2002
    This is by far the most creative lab1 I've seen, fantastic job.

44. darrenl

darrenl

WOW @tra2002. Well done. Very well done.

I think I may go back and see if I can make mine as good as yours.

45. Kale

Kale

Holy crap! Over achiever!

But very nice. It's ridiculous that it's technically the same game.

46. ognomad

ognomad

Thanks for putting these up but it seems the flow of the videos are off, after unity app 1 18 interface main gameObject it just skip to 1 30 I though their where 60?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  47. Kale

Kale

It's weird like that. I believe they were/are going to put more in there later.

48. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ognomad: Yes, we are putting videos (on components) up there at a later date between the numbers. At the moment we are completing the Mario 3D tutorials. 'Hopefully' in the next two weeks we'll have all of that up and available, including a download spot for all videos and projects (Which is already up, just no active links to it yet).

49. DreamCloudGames

DreamCloudGames

Is it possible for you guys to make a Training Course like the Unity one but for Blender ?

50. profcwalker

profcwalker