Search Unity

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. pothb

pothb

Could be one of your tags is off. But try blanking out each if statement piece till it's stop. Then check check for it...

or make a new scene, and just put your player in, might be one of your sockets.

2. clip911

clip911

pothb : nay tag and other things are fine, if its a problem of tag then the object will not destroy . but everything is working fine . its just the
    sound and blinking function that are not working well.

3. Cusco

Cusco

stopped around 2 weeks..... oh my Lab-4 finished finally ...

Lab 4 ~ Go ~

4. clip911

clip911

cusco : looking very nice :)

5. Cusco

Cusco

hmm it has many bugs via webplayer ... = =" when I start first time ... the 1st Gumba pop suddenly ... when I play second time , the 1st Gumba is fine ... lol

6. satan

satan

Cusco - nice job! I've noticed a small bug - the mountains intersect in one place(Z-Sort issue). Consider making some space between the.That should fix it.

7. Cusco

Cusco

the mountains intersect in one place? Can you tell me which mountain? because the mountain is the middle Camera, it should not have a Z-Sort issue?

8. pothb

pothb

@clip911

well, unless you have it playing in some other way or in another spot, I don't see why it would be playing. unless you have the audio on repeat to continuously play.

@cusco, nice. Fire mario didn't work for me though. I got the mushroom, then another one came in the second spot. Then in the 3rd one, was a flower, but I was under starman mario, and it didn't seem to get me fireballs.

9. Cusco

Cusco

@satan Thanks, while looking for the Z-Sort, I found that at boys tutorial the Portal transform should not moving the position.z, it should be fixed now?

@pothb Because I am lazy ... thank you for comment~ as you wish it has been fixed =D

10. clip911

clip911

can somebody check the dropbox working fine??

11. pskicker

pskicker

@cusco, I'm playing your game and it's difficult to jump into the other uhm, what do i call that.. the two floating objects. XD

12. clip911

clip911

13. Cusco

Cusco

@pskicker I am using PS2 joystick in my PC ... it can jump well XXD
    but to make it more easy for keyboard user, it has been fixed a new one
    pls retry it again =D

14. P2D

P2D

Hi everybody,

Thanks Walker for this very very good Tuto :D

Here my Lab 4 : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/2D%20Mario/WebPlayer.html

@Cusco : Your Lab 4 is cool :D .I've a question for you. I've try to make platform on my lab 4 like you do. But could you explain to me, how do you do, to make Mario stay on the platform and follow the platform. If you try my Lab 4 on Level 2 you will understand :D. Thanks you

15. Cusco

Cusco

@ P2D - I just simply attach all the Player Object and Hud to the planform OnTriggerEnter
    and detach all the Object attaching back to the actor gameObject while OnTriggerExit

Using 2 script file to control it
    here is the code I try my best to clean it up .. XXD

Code (csharp):
    2. // Prefab Platform - padMovement
    3. var movement : float = 1; // Platform how far can move
    4. var speed : float = 0.1; // Platform moving speed
    6. // The frozen position container while player step on to hold the player object
    7. var thisChild : GameObject;
    9. private var curPosX : float; // Holding the Platform original position
    10. private var updateCharPos : boolean = false; // Toggle update for all char object to attach
    11. private var detachPosition : boolean = false; //  Toggle update for all char object to detach
    12. private var MathCos : float; // Hold for cosine movement over time
    13. private var thisPos : float; // Hold for current frame movement position
    15. function Start()
    16. {
    17.     curPosX = transform.position.x; // Frozen the Platform X position while start
    18. }
    20. function Update () {
    21.     MathCos = Mathf.Cos(Time.time * speed ) * movement ; // Cal. cosine over time
    22.     thisPos = curPosX + MathCos; // Frozen position plus cosine movement
    23.     // only move the platform position X
    24.     transform.position = Vector3(thisPos, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);
    25.     attach(); // Check for Attach or Detach Player Objects
    26. }
    28. function attach ()
    29. {
    30.     var playerLink = GameObject.FindWithTag("charFactory"); // Get all the Players Object
    32.     // Player first time step on the platform attach it to the platform
    33.     if (updateCharPos)
    34.     {
    35.         // Check if the Players Object is already parent or not?
    36.         if (playerLink.transform.IsChildOf(thisChild.transform))
    37.         return; // If  Players Object already parent to the frozen position container Skip it
    39.         // If not parent Players Object to the frozen position container (platform)
    40.         playerLink.transform.parent = thisChild.transform;
    42.         // Stop the attach toggle
    43.         updateCharPos = false;
    44.     }
    46.     // Player leave the platform detach from the platform, attach back to original object
    47.     if ( detachPosition )
    48.     {
    49.                 // Get frozen position container hold the player objects at normal time
    50.         var actorLink = GameObject.FindWithTag("actor");
    52.         // Check if the Players Object is already parent or not?
    53.         if (playerLink.transform.IsChildOf(actorLink.transform))
    54.         return; // If  Players Object already parent to the frozen position container Skip it
    56.         // if not, parent back all the player object to the normal one
    57.         playerLink.transform.parent = actorLink.transform;
    59.         // Stop detach toggle
    60.         detachPosition = false;
    61.     }
    63. }
    Code (csharp):
    2. // Platform Collider
    3. var target : GameObject; // Target Unique platform gameObject to attach or detach
    5. function OnTriggerEnter (other : Collider)
    6. {
    7.     if ( other.tag == "Player" )
    8.     {
    9.         //Set the target platform to attach
    10.         var thisTarget = target.GetComponent( padMovement );
    12.         // change the toggle
    13.         thisTarget.updateCharPos = true;
    14.         thisTarget.detachPosition = false;
    15.     }
    17. }
    19. function OnTriggerExit (other : Collider)
    20. {
    21.     if ( other.tag == "Player" )
    22.     {
    23.         //Set the target platform to attach
    24.         var thisTarget = target.GetComponent( padMovement );
    26.         // change the toggle
    27.         thisTarget.updateCharPos = false;
    28.         thisTarget.detachPosition = true;
    29.     }
    31. }

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  16. P2D

P2D

@Cusco : Thank you , it works perfectly :D .
    Before i've try something like you do. But i don't understand why it doesn't work. :(

Thank you for your help. Now i can make lots of good platform for 2D Game.

:D

17. Cusco

Cusco

Thank you for Unity Community XXD they have a great documentation especially in Unity Answer, you may found a lot of great code there

18. P2D

P2D

You're right :D

19. janoonk

janoonk

I noticed on the website that Uniy Project 5 Mario 3D clone is still not online.... It says late May. Any update on this?

20. pothb

pothb

Nah, I was just commenting and was wondering if you did it and it just didn't work for me or not. But cools... I hope to finish mine by the end of the week, but probably not as it is.

21. P2D

P2D

Hi,
    I've try to make, in lab4, here the test : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/Decor/WebPlayer.html Mario running on inclined plane. But i have an error i don't understand.

Mario run faster when he climbs than he goes down the hill. But i have don't change anything on my characterController script.

Have you got the same problem on your Lab 4? Have you any idea? Thanks
    :D

22. ShanaLei

ShanaLei

wow this is great.. thank you so much, this will help me to improve my games in unity3d :D

23. pothb

pothb

P2D... doesn't seem like it to me. He does slow down if he's got a barrel in front of him though. But other than that, doesn't seem slower to me.

24. P2D

P2D

Thank you Pothb.
    In my test http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/Decor/WebPlayer.html .
    Mario make around 12 steps to climb the first plane platform than he do around 16 step to down the hill the same platform. I don't understand :(
    When you say "doesn't seem like it to me" is it on our own Lab 4 Mario doesn't slow down.

25. Cusco

Cusco

@P2D I have try yr test, but it is very laggy same like stopped with my Sony Z48 notebook, I think you need to check the logic? it same like something wrong

26. P2D

P2D

Ok Thank you ! Now i thought it is because when i down a hill there is a problem with the controller.isGrounded........ I'm gonna find the answer :D

See you soon hihi ;)

Edit :

I've change the gravity of Mario when he is touching the ground. And now it seems to work.
    Because now my controller.isGrounded stay always true when Mario is on a platform.
    Thank you for having trying my test. It help me. :D
    Here the new : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/Decor/WebPlayer.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  27. pothb

pothb

@P2D, I tried it on yours. While it does seem like he's taking more steps, the time doesn't seem to be different, or atleast not enough for me to notice without a timer.

Changing gravity makes sense though. I'm guessing when he moves downward, gravity adds an extra speed to it, but I really didn't notice any speed difference.

28. P2D

P2D

@Pothd : Thanks for testing and comments. :D

29. Cusco

Cusco

@P2D Great! it is not laggy now, but I found some collision problem at below Red box area? While press arrow key up/down and the Mario fall of the ground, the transform.position.z same like need to be reset back to the original Z before he back to the normal state?

Or you may just change the Mario rendering Camera tag to "Front" Camera, so you dont have to touch the Mario Z position to make it on top of the bar?

Pls take care it before adding more function on top =D Hope it may help

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  30. clip911

clip911

31. pothb

pothb

Dude Clip911. That is damn impressive. Very awesome. 100 times better than mine.

Also, cusco... I totally get what you mean about getting lazy. Lab 4 is one hell of a doozy.

32. clip911

clip911

thanks man . i m w8ing for the mario tuts. hell of a work u guys doing there

33. Red Baron

Red Baron

Hello fellows,

I passed lab 4 today. The Walker Boys told me that the videos for lab 5 are in development. They'll post a message when the course is ready.

If you want to take a look at my Mario clone and the other projects please go here: http://unitygames.netii.net/

34. clip911

clip911

can we use "return" command in java? or is there is something else to denote it?

35. pothb

pothb

Fairly certain you can, there is a video that uses it... though they used it as an escape, rather than a assignment.

Nice Mario, Red Baron. And nice to hear news on the vids. Still the oddity with the flower turning you fire mario. But I'm guessing thats how the videos went.

36. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Sushanta. I would be happy to assist with additional questions. However you'll probably want to either post them in the scripting forum or email me for a quick response. :)

Stec. Thank you for the continued assists! :)

And a big 'thank you' to everyone else for doing a great job on working with everyone and keeping things moving forward.

Ariest. Before we posted the mario package, we tried it on about 10 computers and everythingn worked. Not sure, but I would do it similar to the others on saving the scene and going back.

bgm2006. Just checking. If you haven't sent them to our email addresses, please do so. That way we can review it. Thank you!

satan. Blender script is just because the models came from blender, so if you don't have it installed it will give you that error. The models actually don't have any textures. They are just for the scene wipes if you decide to use them. The other issues, I haven't had, but they don't appear to be an issue. And Yes and No to Lab 5. The art, code and design is complete. However it's missing the training videos to go along side it. We're pretty busy with work at the moment, so probably won't be ready for another two months.

KingCharizard. Videos. Not yet, but coming soon. We will be putting everything up and available for download. No dates yet, but hopefully by the end of summer. Hope that helps. :)

P2D. Happy to help and glad you've been enjoying the training. Nice plants in the mario scene. :)

Clip911. Thanks for the files. I sent you a pm.

If you have further questions, just let me know. Thank you.

37. beco13

beco13

38. Stec

Stec

@ProfCWalker
    You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

@beco13
    I tried to play your game, but the first scene is the "Credits" and there is no "Main Menu" button, just your homepage button. I waited for about 40 seconds but still nothing.

39. beco13

beco13

@Stec: sorry...I forgot to input text in it...you ought to press space to continue... >.< in some scene you ought to press space to continue..

40. Stec

Stec

@beco13
    Great game, very dynamic and fun. I really like the bullet effect, you done that with particles? As regards of a models, this lab purpose was to learn create functionality not the art part, others (including myself) did the art part just for fun and to see if we can do it. I have two recommendations: If you dont have time to put the text in scene "space to continue" and re-upload your game, just write that on your page close to the web player. The second is to put on your page discriptions of the pick-ups, I didn't know what to pick for certain bonus.

41. Maikel_Ortega

Maikel_Ortega

Hi guys! I just finished the first one. Hope I'll get the password for the space shooter soon :D

42. beco13

beco13

@Stec: thanks for your advice...I really appreciate that ^^ I've put it on my html.. :)
    and yes, I did the bullet effects with the particle system in unity...but I was actually expecting more like of a laser bullet...Instead I was only able to create like that one..hahahah >.<

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  43. Maikel_Ortega

Maikel_Ortega

I'm still waiting for the Walkers to answer me, and in the meanwhile I wanted to start learning about modeling (and make a spaceship for the 2nd lab). Software suggestions anybody?

44. clip911

clip911

go for 3d max , maya or blender but maya will be better

45. Stec

Stec

@beco13
    Particles in Unity are quite complicated (for me), I will have to find some tutorial about that.

@Maikel_Ortega
    There have been several discussions on this topic, and there will be a lots of softwares suggested to you, but the final conclusion is always the same: try them and pick the one that fits you needs. I will present some of them:

Blender - the most popular free 3D modeling and animation software. The learning curve is quite big but there is no limit what you can create with it if you have experience.

Google Sketchup - free/paid 3D software, allegedly easy to use. The free version has some problems with importing models in Unity, but there are topics about that on the forum.

Wings3D - free 3D modeling software, I did not use it so can't say anything about it.

TrueSpace7.61 - free, I just find it and it looks very interesting.

3ds Max and Maya - both Autodesk product, very expensive but also very powerfull softwares for 3D modeling and animations. I did use Maya for short time, it is amazing software but if you don't want to use it professionally (every day) I wouldn't recommend it, it is huge!

Cinema 4D - quite expensive but also quite easy to learn.

Lightwave 3D - don't know much about it, download trial version or check it on youtube.

46. Maikel_Ortega

Maikel_Ortega

Thank you very much for your answer Stec. I'll try Blender then: I have 0 experience with modelling software (the only thing I ever did was modelling with OpenGL from scratch), so I can't go with an expensive one like Maya. Also, I've been looking up the Blender site, and there's tons of tutorials, from beginner to advanced users. I'll start following some of them and see what happen :)

Anyway, I hope they look up their email soon, I want to start asap :D

47. Stec

Stec

@Maikel_Ortega
    You're welcome, if you need tutorials for specific topic in blender just send me PM, I found a few sites with lots of tutorials, but for start learn the interface and modeling tools. It will be difficult to learn Unity and Blender at the same time, both software are very time-consuming, so my advice is to make breaks (couple of days) between Unity projects and devote them to blender. As I said earlier, blender learning curve is quite big so don't expect that you will be able to model a nice looking spaceship in a few days from now, it will take some time (remember that it is not enough just to model something, you will have to do some texturing to), but do not be discouraged, if you have some free time and determination learn it, it wont be waste of time.

48. charfei70

charfei70

Am I supposed to view the API videos after finishing the Javascript Videos? Or do I go straight to the first project?

49. pothb

pothb

I don't think it matters... but those API videos would give you a clearer understanding of things mentioned in the videos.

50. Vivek

Vivek

Hey guys..
    Are these tutorials helpful if we want to create a game for android or iOS?..Are there too many irregularities
    in game development for phones and PC Standalones?..I am working on Lab1 right now..so just wanted to clarify if we can make best use of these tutorials for developing a game for android and iOS.