Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

The videos for the Unity Lab 4 - 2D Mario Clone are now available. There is 12+ hours of training videos taking you step by step through creating a 2D Mario style game. In addition, this project comes with a complete set of 'Original Mario Art' (136 mb).

Remember, if you are interested in this series, you need to complete exams (1-4) and the three labs prior to this one.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Just a quick update for those keeping track of stats.
    As of today we have the following.
    118,000+ plays on vimeo with the videos
    105 countries have been viewing the videos
    1,800+ exams have been taken
    285 HD videos now available (free)
    Donation Total: $90.00

Number of emails asking questions: 700+
    Number of actual labs completed: 100+

Note: Four videos in list will be updated this week.

Also, it's great to hear things are working well for each of you (RogueLover2000, P2D, gamenovice, monsterhead, david, neptune, jwalker). Nice work with the project and sound tool, P2D. :)
    JWalker, I've sent you a pm in regards to your questions.

Thank you. - Walker Boys

2. Holm

Holm

This is just a great concept!

I am totally new to video game development (have always dreamed about doing it) and just downloaded Unity Free to get started. Looking very much forward to have a look at your videos! Unfortunately I am not able to watch them on my Ipad while on the go. Do you have any workaround, or do you plan to release the videos in an alternative way, so people can watch them on i-devices as well?

Thank you so much for making all this information available for us "Newbies"!

Best regards,
    Patrick

3. monsterhead

monsterhead

Did you try using the Vimeo HTML5 player with the iPad?

Watch Vimeo Videos on iPad Using New HTML5 Universal Player

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. Holm

Holm

5. 3KyNoX

3KyNoX

Hello,

Big Thanks for the videos, but sent a mail..

Anyway, is it possible to upload it on YouTube, cause :

- You say video is in HD 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 resolution but in Vimeo that's not the case, really poor quality
    - I'm french and my english skills are low, YouTube got a subtitles beta system who can help me

Maybe you will like having these videos with french subtitles. I can do it if you want, video by video, step by step. What do you think about it ?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Thank you monsterhead for the assist and image explanation for Holm.

Hi 3KyNoX. I've sent a reply to you covering the videos and some additional thoughts on it. Thank you.

7. 3KyNoX

3KyNoX

Got it, Thanks :)

8. nomss

nomss

How do I get access to lab 2? Is there a solution to the HW for Lab 1? I'm stuck REALLY bad.

9. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Nomss. I've sent you a pm regarding your questions.

Thank you.

10. Malarhak

Malarhak

Hi,

I really want to thank you for creating this. It's the first time I see some free tutorial with so much work. What you're doing is just amazing.
    I just finished the first lab of your course, and am really happy to learn with these videos.
    By the way, I'm a french student in Game Design. My school works more in the theoritical side, and we're not using Unity. That's why I wanted to use Unity to complete my knowledge with some scripting and art basics. So your videos are just what I needed, and I really thank you. Now waiting for going into second lab !

Edit: How do we access to the second lab?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  11. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Malharhak,

Great to hear the training videos are working well for you and thank you for the kind words. When it comes to accessing the second lab; my brother will review the first lab, provide comments back, then send access to the next one. :)

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  12. Malarhak

Malarhak

Ok, thanks for the answer then :)

13. neungtale

neungtale

Hi,

How do I get access to 2D Mario Clone (Side Scroller)?

Thank you so much.

14. lasshi

lasshi

this is my first post at this community, so hi! :D

ontopic:
    thx so much for these tutorials! i started these yesterday, and passed tests, and now i have lab1 clickgame done! it´s amazing how much i learned by just watching video stream :D

i quess i should upload that and send you and email to gain next password? hope you like what i came up with, im not so much of an coder but an artist, scripting is kind of hard for me :p --> getting some free internet host space

and sorry for my incoherent english, isnt it clear that it ain´t my natural language?

15. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Neungtale,

Great question. To gain access to the 2D Mario Clone, you will need to have completed the Exams (1-4) and Labs 1-3. For more information on why we've set the course up this way and how to get started, be sure and go here.

Let me know if you have further questions. :)

Thank you Lasshi. We look forward to seeing your work. And your english is very good. :)

16. Reverendus

Reverendus

Like others have said, thank you for these lessons! I am working my way through them now. The only criticism I have is the naming convention on the videos. Twice now, I have gone to take one of the exams thinking I completed all the tutorials in that section, only to find that there was info from the next couple of videos in it. Other than that, Great Work!

17. ahaykal

ahaykal

Well done guys I loved the idea of taking classes and doing exams + they are very awesome for beginners like me ! I have seen many tutorials but I have learnt he most from practicing and doing exams because of you! Thanks again!!

18. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Reverendus and Ahaykal. We appreciate the kind words and are always happy to help others further their knowledge of Unity and Game Development.

Also, thanks for the note on the numbers. It is on our to-do list :)

19. calyston000

calyston000

Hi guys! I'm also pretty new at all this unity stuff!

But i cannot stress the fact that you guys have done a really great job! I really like you're way of thinking! Mostly that if you're stuck in a deadend for a lab it make you search for yourself and do it rigth! (like my case with the darn blinking sphere in the first lab!)

I've just submitted my first lab to you guys and i hope to pass! I cannot wait to have the acces to the second lab! (I'm tearing througth your tutorials like a beast!)

Just one question, how much time usually does it take to get reviewed ? Because i'm pretty sure you guys are really busy!

Anyway keep up the fantastic work!

20. Dreeka

Dreeka

They do the reviewing fast, usually I got mine under a day.

21. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Dreeka.

Calyston00, depending on our time schedule, it's usually within a day.
    Let me know if you have further questions.
    Thank you.

22. Toad

Toad

Hi, thanks for the great, free training videos! :)

Do you have an update on the "2D Game Template" in your signature? Your site states, "Updates and Information will be available January 2011"...

23. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Matt.

I'll be sure and update the site and information. Currently, we've decided not to make it a public release. As software piracy has taken hold of almost everything in the Asset Store, we are going to maintain all systems internal. It is unfortunate, but such is the current state of digital content.

On a positive note, the Mario 2D Clone is a wonderful 2d starting point. The ideas behind it are what prompted for creating a complete 2d game system.

If you have further questions, just let me know. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  24. P2D

P2D

Hi,

I have a problem when i want to open the Project Lab 4 Mario 2D on my PC.

When I open the project in Unity i've these error : 1) (It should not be an error but a window says that the project was created with an old version of unity) 2) Then a window says ShaderFixor.exe stop working . I close the window. I make this action about 20 time. 3) Then unity open the project and a big list of error appear. Here the list : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/ImportingErrors.txt .
    4) The Scene Tuto 01 is empty

I have a pc. Unity 3D Free. And when i start Unity i have this message every time : Your 64 bit Windows installation is missing an imporant service pack patch. Please apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976038 to ensure stability. But untill today i have no problem to open the projects Labs.

If you have any idea to help me. It will be cool. :D

Thank you.
    Pierre Du Son alias P2D on the forum

25. Dreeka

Dreeka

Installing the service pack might fix the problem.

26. P2D

P2D

Thank you Dreeka.

I've understoud my mistake. When i've receved the password for lab 4 all the letter on the e-mail of the password were on "block letter". So when i've unzip the file project it make lots of mistakes. I've change the password name (for exemple PASSWORD to Password) and now it works well on Unity.

Thank you The WalkerBoys. I'm happy now because i couldn't believe that it was impossible to me to make the Lab 4.

I'm going to start now. :D

27. Dreeka

Dreeka

Good luck :)

28. calyston000

calyston000

Hi again! I've still got no news for the review! Maybe i didn't send out the rigth link or maybe it's my email. I'll submit it here if you will! Sry i'm to eager to continue! lol! I really really like your tutorial! Very high quality!

So here it is the new link : Click here With all the information.

29. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi P2D. Good to hear things are working for you now. And thank you for the assist Dreeka.

30. Toad

Toad

The Mario 2d clone looks very interesting. Just completed Lab 1 and sent you an email...

31. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Matt.

32. Zephir

Zephir

Hello,

first I want to say thank you for that greate tutorial...

I have to say one thing, I watched many tutorials for several things (about Unity and other stuff), but from my point right now your tutorial is one of the best I watched. You are easily to understand, many tutors are hard to understand because they are talking in with accent (my native tongue is german), or they are explaning bad or too little. You found a way that perfectly fits for me, not to much talking not to less explaning.

Right now I'm to stupid or tiered to pass Exam 2 and I will try it again tomorrow after reviewing all keys ;)
    I'm very excited to get to the first lab, hope I will get there soon.

Thanks again!

33. Zephir

Zephir

Hi its me again,

I finished all of the introduction material and completed all exams. I got the last password from Exam 4 but I don't know for what. It's not working for lab 1. Where did I get the password for lab 1?

I can't wait for it :D

34. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Zephir,

It's great to hear things are working well for you on the training videos. I've sent you a pm in regards to your question. Thank you. :)

35. varedis

varedis

I would recommomend these tutorials for anyone starting out with Unity, while the format may be off putting to some, (i.e. needing to go through the very basics to get to the actual game creation) the first exams can be passed with a very basic programming and Unity knowledge and then you can get on to the Labs.

Chad and Eric do an excellent job in the video tutorials and do their best to teach the viewer how to search the documentation (something most people seem to miss). The "Homework" is a great 'see what you have learnt' tool. And really makes you feel like you have accomplised something.

If you have prior programming knowledge but could still do with a brush up, why don't you go ahead while just listening to the concept and see if you can implement something in a better or more suited way in order to keep yourself engaged in the learning.

Thanks Chad and Eric for the free training :)

36. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Varedis. We appreciate the kind words and support for the unity training material.

37. Superpescado

Superpescado

Hello thanks for all the hard work making the tutorials. I have finished the first lab and emailed it to you. Thanks again!

38. Toad

Toad

Lab2 completed and email sent! :)

39. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Just another quick update for those keeping track of stats.
    As of today we have the following.
    161,000+ plays on vimeo with the videos
    110 countries have been viewing the videos
    3,300+ exams have been taken
    310 HD videos now available (44+ hours, free)
    Donation Total: $144.00

Number of emails asking questions: 830+
    Number of actual labs completed: 180+

20+ schools currently reviewing and using the material in their courses (Middle Schools, High Schools, Universities)

Thank you. - Walker Boys

Also, thank you Superpescado and MattSimpson. An email will be sent to you once reviewed.

40. Dreeka

Dreeka

I have encountered a problem during lab 4, part 60. No matter what I do, gumba falls through the bricks. It is fine in the sceneTutorial 23 - Enemy Goomba Controls, but it falls down in the other scenes. I have tried everything I could, but nothing fixed it.

Can someone help?

Update:
    Actually, i have managed to fix it. The gumba on the z axis vas -4, and that caused it to fall down :p

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  41. txzzo

txzzo

Hello
    I have watch the series "The Fundamentals of Scripting in Unity 3D"
    now im on part Part 16: Switch, Case, Enumeration

And im wondering why do you put default in the end of a switch?
    Why isin't it a case?

//txzzo

42. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi txzzo,

An optional default case is typically allowed, specified by a default keyword; this is executed when none of the other cases match the control expression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch_statement). It's also nice because it sticks out as 'different' than the rest.

Let me know if that helps or if you need additional information.
    Thank you.

43. txzzo

txzzo

Okey,Thanks

so lets say

Code (csharp):
    2. var name = "Gustav";
    3. switch (name)
    4.     {
    5.                   case "ben":
    6.     print ("ben");
    7.         break;
    9.     case "Johan":
    10.     print ("Johan");
    11.                        break;
    13.     default:
    14.     print ("Name not found");
    15.                }
    Shod this code print "Name not found" beacuse there is no case with the name Gustav?

and thanks for the fast reply :D

//txzzo

44. profcwalker

profcwalker

That is correct. :)

45. txzzo

txzzo

Okey,Thanks
    The videos are greate :D

46. open768

open768

just enrolled :) a thought though, you could use moodle (moodle.org) to give a classroom feel?

47. MChez

MChez

The training is top notch, and a boon to the whole community. Thanks for providing these fantastic lessons. I happily donated and encourage others to do so. What you've provided equals or exceeds a lot of the commercial (read expensive) training out there.

I also think your game dev package is a fantastic deal. Unfortunately, my main 3d modeling program (softimage) is not your focus so I'll hunt and peck individual lessons when the time comes.

Have you made any progress with the mentoring program you elluded to eariler in this thread? I, for one, would be very interested in such training if it does indeed come to pass.

Thanks again and keep it up!

48. daimaku

daimaku

hi, i 'm totally new with unity3D, i have made some games with the xna from microsoft and the udk from epic i would like to learn unity3d to choose from udk or unity3d to be my tool to make games, i'm trying to view the videos but the vimeo site is asking me for a password, the videos aren't free?

49. Chobi77

Chobi77

Yes, the videos are free, however some are pass-worded which you have found out.

Its best to start from the introduction and work your way down, as you complete the projects and email the results to the Walker Boys you will receive passwords that will allow you to unlock the videos to learn more.

Hope this helps. :)

50. KillahKill

KillahKill

Thank you for these wonderful tutorials. I am in the same situation jwalker195 was a few pages back. I am having some trouble completing the "on your own" part of lab1. After messing around in the scripting ref I was able to sort of make some progress but I'm not ending up with exactly what is wanted. Any help you can give would be appreciated.