Unity Community

Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

1. Location
    South Africa
    Going back to my Lab2 files, I actually had the shield collision detection done in the asteroid file. I'm not sure if it would actually make a difference but you could try putting a

Code:  
    1. if(other.tag=="shield")
    2. {
    3.      print("asteroid hit shield");
    4. }

check into your asteroid file's OnTriggerEnter(), just to see if that collision is actually picked up. If it still doesnt work, then you have some issue with the setup of your rigidbodies/tags etc. Whenever something doesn't work, there is always a logical explanation

2. Posts
    for some reason, that still didn't work, just going through a check list here
    - Both "is trigger"
    - Have tried both with/ without rigidbodies
    - Tag's are Correct
    Can anybody lend me there shield script , it makes no sense why this isn't working

3. Location
    South Africa
    You do have the shield script attached to your shield prefab?

On the face of it, it doesn't make sense.... but figuring out these sorts of problems is part of programming, and although it's frustrating as hell right now, it's also an opportunity to learn. You learn more by fixing things that have gone wrong, than by everything working first time.

Without actually having access to your project, the only thing I can recommend is that you don't get fixated on the idea on the idea that somehow the game engine is at fault. Obviously, there is a problem... your job as the programmer is to find it. That is not very helpful, I know... but it's still the reality.

Edit: I don't mean to come across as some sort of expert on these matter, lol. I'm a begginer just like you, and I've had several "wtf?" problems that have made no sense to me either. Still, solving them has involved learning things I otherwise would not have.

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad72 View Post
    You do have the shield script attached to your shield prefab?

On the face of it, it doesn't make sense.... but figuring out these sorts of problems is part of programming, and although it's frustrating as hell right now, it's also an opportunity to learn. You learn more by fixing things that have gone wrong, than by everything working first time.

Without actually having access to your project, the only thing I can recommend is that you don't get fixated on the idea on the idea that somehow the game engine is at fault. Obviously, there is a problem... your job as the programmer is to find it. That is not very helpful, I know... but it's still the reality.
    One problem i've noticed though, is that the Astroid itself doesn't hit the shield, it goes straight through? It doesn't collide with the shield itself, it goes straight through?

5. Location
    South Africa
    O, I've just thought of something. Remember that although this is a 2D game, the objects are still actually in 3D space. So, you need to go and look at your shield prefab, and make sure the transform position z value is the same as the z value for the asteroids and your player ship. If it's inadvertently got a different z value, the objects will never collide, no matter what else you do.

6. Posts
    No, they defiantly are the same on the Z value, even when they were close i looked in the scene view and saw they were the same

7. Location
    South Africa
    Hmmmm.... then I'm fresh out of ideas. You are going to have to fiddle around until you find the answer.

If you like, you can zip your project files and email them to me at keith.goddard72 at gmail.com and I will see if I can figure out the problem, although I can't guarantee that I'll find the answer.

8. Posts
    I got it working! It seemed the radius was off place, reset it and starting working! Thanks for all your help Nomad!

9. Location
    Switzerland
    Is it possible to make the script example files you used in the video series for java scripting and api overview available for download?
    Could be used as a reference for the semantic and would be a nice overview.

10. Posts
    I finished Lab Project 2, a added a couple Extras's like, 3 powerups (Double Shot, Triple Shot and Slow Motion) and Asteroid AI.

Here is the Link : http://labproject2.herobo.com/WebPlayer.html

11. Location
    Louisville, Ky
    @clxyeah Good job, I like it

12. Location
    Dallas, Texas
    @clxyeah: Just now checking the posts. Sounds like you got everything going. Great work. The extra elements added a fun level of gameplay. It definitely shows well for all the work you put in to it.

@Silvershadow: Actually that's the one thing we don't include, intentionally. I would encourage you to work through the javascript and api videos so that you can create your own personal set of references to use.

13. Location
    South Africa
    @clxyeah, good stuff, glad to see you got it all working.

@tra2002, how is your progress through the tutorials going? I'm done with Lab3, about 1/3 of the way through Lab4 (which has been a ton of fun!). Really enjoying this series, and learning so much.

14. Location
    Louisville, Ky
    @Nomad72 I have completed all but the Lab 5 - 3D Mario Clone which I have watched some of the videos and went through some of it but I have been working on a few projects and hard finding the time to get into it. Hoping to complete it by the end of the holiday season though. Here is what I did with the click and click lab I added a lot like a game manager that I can quickly add levels through the inspector and just set up everything there. I also added little bonuses and such to the game manager but haven't compiled that version into a web player yet. Still need to make some models to replace the place holders I have and also pretty up the interface.

http://www.ihdlive.com/WebBuilds/Cli...ick/WebPlayer/

15. Location
    South Africa
    That's impressive stuff, tra2002, quite a bit of extra stuff added in! There is a lot there that is still way beyond my current skill levels. I'm extremely happy with the progress I'm making with these Walker Boys tutorials, but with each thing I learn... I realize there are 234 other things I still need to learn. Sigh. Oh well, nobody ever said you could learn this game development thing over a weekend or two

16. Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Really using the tutorials from Walker Boys and listening to there helpful tips through out the videos, and a vivid imagination is a very good starting point. At first when I was trying to learn all this I was thinking huge, how to create a whole game but I soon realized I do not want to think that way because then I just overwhelm myself. Think small from your example don't worry about the full 234 things to learn, just find the 1-10 you want to use and learn those items. Then later if you find you need something that wasn't in your original 1 - 10 items just learn the 1 new thing. Before you know it you have accidentally learned all 234 things.

17. Posts
    Hi everyone, I am in the part 3 (Tool Folder Creator Add Menu Item) of training video series 6, the project 3, and I have a question, How is the Shortcut to quick restart the interfaz of unity to delete the menu item wrong?, excuse me if in the video say that. but I can not yet understand all the pronunciation from english, thanks for the help, and thanks for the walker boys training tutorials, this tutorials are really help full to me.

18. Posts
    @zaniocz: Actually, what Prof. Walker is doing is pausing the video, restarting Unity and then resuming again. I don't think there's a shortcut for that. By the way, if you speak Spanish just let me know.

19. Posts
    hmmm... @jonlemosz: Thanks, I thought the same in that moment, but I tried to find something to make me feel sure for that, for instance, the movement of the mouse cursor, but the mouse cursor stand in the same position between restarting of unity, , LOL , that accurate ¡¡¡, ok, so, is restarting unity , thanks... y si mi idioma nativo es el español, gracias de nuevo.

20. Posts
    @zaniocz: Great! If you have any other doubts about the videos just let me know. Greetings from Popayán, Colombia!
    Last edited by jonlemosz; 12-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast