Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi ChevyMonster,

You haven't missed anything, yet. :) We left those (1-18 - 1-30) open for some videos in the future, including the 1-07 to 1-11 spot.
    Hope that helps clear it up. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you

Great suggestions BlueMagica. As for Blender, we don't currently support it in the videos, but I'd be happy to put it on my list for future work. And thank you for the Moodle link. Excellent stuff.

2. BugBr

BugBr

Profs Walker,

I don't know what to say. It's really a good help, it's a great help that you guys are offering for me and people who are just starting to use Unity.

I'm glad to have access to those lessons, and really want to say thank you! Where I live it's very hard to find such detailed support, good instructors and people with good intentions, like you guys.

So thanks a lot! And keep up the good work! I'll be glad to have the Walker Boys certification, when I finish everything.

Cheers

3. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you. It's good to hear that the videos are working well for you, BugBr.

If you need any assistance along the way, just let us know. Thank you.

4. profcwalker

profcwalker

Just a quick update for those interested.

As of today we have the following.

53,000+ plays on vimeo with the videos
    92 countries have been viewing the videos
    400 Exams have been taken
    Donation Total: $15.00

Also, a WordPress Video for Unity will be available this week for those needing additional assistance in posting their Lab Projects.

Thank you!

5. jmiles

jmiles

Have been slowly working my way through your videos and am extremely impressed with the quality, especially the scripting videos. The way that you approach the scripting has helped me to realize that I tend to cover it too quickly and assume more knowledge from the students than is reasonable so it has helped me to slow down and feel comfortable slowing down which has lead to a more positive atmosphere within the class room.
    Am looking forward to submitting some assignments to you for feedback, though am nervous about the tests, I figure I'd feel really bad if I failed them :) Still, though will be taking them, just trying to clear some room on my calendar.
    I do wonder, though, in regards to the first set of videos that focus on the UI and the menu options. Seems kind of daunting and overwhelming, almost like memorizing a long list without a strong understanding of why. For those with experience in other engines or other development it would be fine, but the amount of material covered there is quite a lot and I wonder if it would not be easier on students to show the menu options gradually and within the context of a developing project?
    Anyway, this is a wonderful resource and I can not thank you enough for taking the time to develop it and then make it available.

6. bluelang

bluelang

I thought the same thing at first, but I think the idea is that you do a lot of solo work with/after watching the video. They tell you this before taking the test, but it might be cool if they put in some kind of checkpoints during that said "now go repeat this fifty times on your own before going to the next video."

7. profcwalker

profcwalker

Excellent thoughts jmiles.

Yes, finding a good ‘middle’ ground for learning then applying is certainly a challenge, especially for students of various learning levels (and time constraints).

We found (so far) from testing in classrooms that greater success (short and long term) for students comes from a solid foundation of the tools (memorization, testing, etc) balanced with a steady supply of practical application (stair-step). The sooner everyone in the classroom is speaking the same language (unity tools, programming, etc) the quicker the lessons can progress and the more indepth the level of learning can be.

I'm a big fan of Learn, Apply, Repeat. :)

Good luck with the exams.

Thanks for the great idea bluelang. That is certainly an element of online teaching that would be great to have in place. We’ll look into getting that implemented.

8. jmiles

jmiles

I have been adapting your approach to my own class as it is my first time teaching Unity and you have far more experience than I do.

Bluelang - I think a practice test to have an idea of the depth being tested would be nice, not being in a class with them, I'm not sure what to expect on the exams as far as how in depth they will be. I will find out next week though, I have penciled in a block of time near the end of next week that I should be able to go after the first exam and see how things go from there.

Reminds me, if we don't do so well, can we retake a different exam on the same subject? :)

9. profcwalker

profcwalker

Yes, you can actually take the tests as many times as needed. Each time you take one, it automatically randomizes the questions and answer order, which allows for a bit of replayability. :)

10. 36Dist

36Dist

Thanks for the amazing resource!

I'll be following the course very closely over the coming weeks and documenting my experiences on my blog at http://www.offlineedit.com

11. Scythe

Scythe

Nice set of Unity tutorials, I'd also like to thank you for the work you've put in this course. I have 2 questions:

- I'm at the first lab project (the clicker game), and I can't find any supplied downloadable assets for it, where are they? (in one of the videos, you're importing sound effects for the explosions) Of course I can get some explosion sounds on my own too, but I'm curious :)

- Does the student discount apply to non-us students too? I'm hungarian and I'm really interested in your game-art creation courses too.

12. diegorborges

diegorborges

Dear Professors,

Really, really, really THANK YOU for doing this. I actually work as a digital artist / media designer with motion graphics and 3d, and I always wanted to work with games. Finding Unity was one awesome thing for me. Having knowledge with some graphical programs and animation tools such as Adobe Flash, AfterEffects and 3dsmax give me some background to understand one or 2 things about how Unity works in the "visual" part. But programming just scares me to bits. I seriouslly never had any good skills with programming (only some modified java files for a game that I do mods), and your tutorials are teaching me how to script! That's magnificent! I simply can't believe that these things are finally making sense in my mind! Being an artist, you can immagine how hard is to learn programming. My mind is "visual", maths used to be my enemy. Not anymore! =)

I'm actually doing the Javascript course and just now found your tests. (Did 77 on the first one =/ )So I'll step back and do the full course from the beginning because I'm really learning a lot with you guys.

I'll be proud to have your certificates and I'll add them to my resume of course.

I really can't say how great is this whole course and the attitude of you making all this work for free. Sharing knowledge is a blessed thing.

Thank You!

Greetings from Brazil

All the best,

Diego Ribeiro

13. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

There have been many requests in 'How to' post the Lab Projects online, so we have created four videos going through the entire process, three different ways. The videos take you step by step in getting a free web host, creating a simple site, blog site and content management site and posting Unity Web Builds to each of them. All apps we use in the videos are completely free, so if you're looking for a 'how to' on this subject, this should help get you started. The site link is here. The video links are below.

Part 1: Set up a Free Web Host and Post a Unity Web build
    Part 2: Set up WordPress
    Part 3: Posting Unity Web Builds to Wordpress
    Part 4: NetObject Fusion (free cms) and Unity

Thank you 36Dist.
    It’s great to hear the videos are working well for you. Also thank you for the link; as you make progress, let us know and we’ll be sure to check in on you.

Hi Scythe.
    Great question. With both lab projects one and two, you create the artwork inside of unity (primitive shapes) and use a free app for the music and sound effects. With that said...we have had several projects turned in with really fun, new artwork. You can certainly explore that route if you feel comfortable creating the artwork or have images available.

The student pricing for the WBS Game Development Series is available to any students (local or international), as long as you provide the necessary documents. Let me know if you have any further questions on it. Thank you.

Thank you Diegorborges.
    We appreciate your support and commitment to learning Unity and programming. :) I look forward to seeing your progress through the course. Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

14. ggraham

ggraham

Professors,

It was good to see at our school Friday; I know the students enjoyed the workshop very much. Thank you for putting all of this material online! I've started watching the videos and their very good. Hopefully I will be able to keep it up and learn some of this.

-Greg

15. aLucarde

aLucarde

Hi!

Im starting this training course.. after some hours i will post here my conclusions about this training..

bye ppl

16. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Greg. We appreciate the efforts you all put in to the event. It was great working with your students and seeing them excited about game development opportunities. Let me know if you have any questions about the training material. Thank you. :)

Sounds good aLucarde. I look forward to hearing your conclusions. Thank you.

Note: Next set of videos will be available later this week.

17. profcwalker

profcwalker

Quick note on the next video release. We are converting files today and tomorrow and should have them up by Tuesday. Thank you.

18. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thank you! :)

19. ivanzu

ivanzu

ProfCwalker do you have normal map tutorials?

20. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi ivanzu,

Let me make sure I understand correctly.
    1. Are you referring to the Unity normal map setup
    2. Training Videos on creating normal maps with Low / High Polygon models (Mudbox, 3dsMax, etc)
    3. 2D Manipulation (Crazybump, etc)
    4. Or just information about normal maps

Thank you.

21. Dreeka

Dreeka

Hi,

I have started Lab 1, and on the videos, there was a text asset (project description). Is it available to download, and put into my project?

Thanks for your great work!

22. ivanzu

ivanzu

2. Training Videos on creating normal maps with Low / High Polygon models (Mudbox, 3dsMax, etc)
    Well this i know how to use NVIDIA photoshop plugins but what if want to make normals by hand ?

23. Cricket

Cricket

Hello Professor C. WWalker,

I just discovered your Unity training series and it seems to be THE answer to my prayers of actually learning how to create interactive 3D. I started watching the first set of 60 tutorials covering the Unity interface, workflow, etc. on Vimeo but, but after the first 18 videos, the series skipped to #30, and after #35 it skipped to the second set of tutorials. I tried accessing the missing tutorials a number of different ways but wasn't able to locate them. I assume the videos are numbered in the order you intend us to watch. Is there there some sort of temporary glitch with Vimeo or am I doing something wrong? I'm looking forward to really getting into this course!

24. zzzzz4512

zzzzz4512

Mwahahahaha! I finally got my account registered! I'm really enjoying the tutorials! :D

25. Maurice-Hoffman

Maurice-Hoffman

Hello Walker Boys i am addicted and I am curious when the next videos are coming ? Keep up the great work.

26. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,
    The videos for Unity Lab Tool Development are now available. Before jumping in to the 2d and 3d Mario clone Labs, tools need to be developed first. So, there are over 8 hours of video training providing step-by-step instruction for creating tools and components. Mixed in with the videos is a steady stream of ‘Artist’ and ‘Designer’ friendly programming direction.

Remember, if you are interested in this next series, you need to complete the exams and first two labs.
    Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you - Chad

Just a quick update for those interested.
    As of today we have the following.
    87,000+ plays on vimeo with the videos
    101 countries have been viewing the videos
    1,100+ exams have been taken
    240+ HD videos now available (free)
    Donation Total: $50.00

Hi Dreeka,
    The text isn’t actually available, but feel free to copy it from the video. Thank you.

Hi Ivanzu,
    We have an entire set of videos devoted to normal maps, low and high polygon modeling, as well as a complete series on Mudbox training.

Hi Cricket,
    Great question. When it comes to the numbering, we have a ‘gap’ between there for additional videos, however at the moment everything is complete to the degree to we set out. Simply go to the next video and continue watching and learning. Thank you!

Excellent zzzzz4521. Glad to know the lessons are working for you.

Maurice, we have put up the latest batch of videos today. This completes the Unity Lab Tools Development with about 8+ hours of training. Thank you.

27. zzzzz4512

zzzzz4512

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG The 2D mario clone tuts are up! :D Aahahaha I can't wait!

Edit: nvm lol getting ahead of myself here.... XD

28. Mani

Mani

Thanks for the large amount of time that you put into this detailed and meticulous set of tutorials.

29. zzzzz4512

zzzzz4512

Oh, is there somewhere where we can see other's work? I'd like to post my work for others to see, as well as have it graded. :D

30. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you Mani. We appreciate the kind words and are happy to help a great community of Unity users. :)

Hi zzzzz4512. Great question. We are actually putting together a page of links for everyone. We've always believed a great way for students to learn and grow, is by seeing what others have done before. We have a good amount of Lab 1 and 2 projects completed and will be sharing the links soon. Thank you for the suggestion.

31. awnold

awnold

you guys are totally awesome for this, just incredible, unbelievable. Hope to donate soon..
    Matt

32. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

Count me inn for donation awnold, i have no words to say to Prof Walker , amazing training videos.. Incredible work !! God bless

33. Reignoflife

Reignoflife

Why do the videos (1-60)
    Only go to 18. Then skip to 30, then end at 35?
    I have no clue what videos to watch.
    Or when ive watched enough to take the first exam.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  34. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you awnold, ersaurabh101. We appreciate the excitement and look forward to seeing some great labs from you both.

Reignoflife, you'll want to follow the video list from our site.

Starting with the Syllabus , that will get you going in the correct order. The numbering from vimeo is something we did to leave space for a few videos down the road. :)

And each Exam outlines and has links to what is needed for study.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
    Thank you.

35. Reignoflife

Reignoflife

Thank you :) Guess i just count out 60 until i hit the java portion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  36. profcwalker

profcwalker

Yes, you can certainly do that and/or you can go to the album section, where they are divided in to separate albums. I hope that helps. Thank you.

37. Reignoflife

Reignoflife

Thank you for the help. (And the tutorials).
    So far I've passed exam 1 2.
    Now on to Java. Which hopefully isn't as tedious and annoying as java programming with notepad....

38. KodaL

KodaL

Looks amazing! Just found this info as I was searching around for Unity Tutorials. I love the idea of taking an actual class. Looking forward to it!

39. monsterhead

monsterhead

Thank you guys so much! Can't wait for the 2d Mario clone tomorrow!

40. profcwalker

profcwalker

The 2D Mario Clone is complete, however the Training Videos for the Lab are not. We should have everything uploaded by the weekend.

While you wait, we have a build of the project (small part) online, available here: http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_2d_mario_example_1.html

The build (11mb, not optimized yet) highlights a couple of features that we will be going through during the training; including a Mario like control scheme, coin collecting, tube warping and breakable bricks.

We'll post again soon. Thank you.

41. P2D

P2D

Very cool. :D . Your tutorials are amazing. Thank you very much.

42. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you P2D.

For those waiting on the next tutorials (today), they have been pushed back until later this week. :\

Once they are complete, I'll post it here. Thank you for your patience.

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sounds really awesome...i love your javascript tutorials...very inspirational and I am sure i can get thru the exercises... I would also love to learn how to use unity cloth on an animated character :)...sounds like something i would enjoy...

44. jwalker195

jwalker195

Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to thank you guys for putting out such incredible tutorial videos. I have never really studied anything on video game design, programming, etc., and have learned a tremendous amount within the last week (when I started the tutorials) on how all of that works and what the potential for those tools are.

I have passed all of the first exams and am on the first lab, with my game almost complete and playable. But I seem to be having a difficult time on the "On Your Own" part of the game design process. I am not on these forums asking how to do it, I just need to know where I can go to research these parts of programming so that I can move on. I have tried searching the scripting ref. in Unity and also the Unify Wiki and some other sites, but I keep coming up blank. Is there something I am missing? Or do I need to step back for awhile and try something else?

Thank you very much for your help, I am incredibly excited to see what comes next.

jwalker195

45. meglasato

meglasato

Hey Guys,

Just a bump here for how great your online course is. Just completed the second lab and working on the Unity Tools portion. It really is amazing how much thought you have put into this and for you to provide it free of charge. If you're ever looking for a donation, let me know!

I've always wanted to try and make a game, and now I have! My friends can't get enough of the 2D shooter :) Anyways, keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Sincerely,
    David

46. monsterhead

monsterhead

Yea these tutorials are really amazing and I also plan on donating. Just so you know they have a donation button at the top of the free training page right under the Unity Lab Projects listing.

47. P2D

P2D

48. gamenovice

gamenovice

Im so happy!

49. P2D

P2D

Hi,
    This Weekend I've made a Tool to help me on sound design.
    If you want to see it's here :
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13388915/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html
    There is two things :
    One is to make footsteps. For this footsteps there is just two sounds used.
    The second is to make sound graphicaly. You can make sounds with a start sound a loop sound and a end sound an after save this on a prefab.

Thanks so much. Because i could have made this Tool with what i've learn on your tutorials.

Pierre Du Son alias P2D on the Unity forum.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  50. KodaL

KodaL

Going great so far. Learning so much! Very excited to see the new lab is posted now also!