Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MinePackage - Minecraft starter package

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by jc_lvngstn, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I've been involved in an effort to create a open source Minecraft starter package, with Unity, in the Gossip forums here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/63149-After-playing-minecraft...

In a nutshell, it provides a foundation for creating games similar to Minecraft. It's not an attempt to clone Minecraft. My hope is that it will encourage those who have played Minecraft, and want to learn or create something with their own ideas.

I figured it was time to move it to a dedicated home, on SourceForge. The site is brand new, as is my experience with SouceForge, so it's still getting some content. In the meantime, it has links to the downloaded Unity source, and the web player.

Here is the SourceForge link:
    http://minepackage.sourceforge.net/

Here's a web player link for the current version:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5556115/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

I'm looking for community involvement to make it even better. It is and always will be a starter package, a template. It's not intended to evolve into a full blown game...that is for others to do, taking the package and adding their own unique and cool ideas. My intent is to provide the basics (infinite terrain, trees, lighting, some basic ai for creatures) so people don't have to keep reinventing the wheel.

Connor_Epic likes this.
  2. LuckyDog

LuckyDog

Very Nice Did you grab any codes from minecraft to get this to work?

3. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

You mean decompiled or source code? Definitely not. I did scour the internet for clues on how to handle terrain generation, water, lighting, caves, etc.
    The thread in the gossip forum was by far the most useful. If you read it...you'll see a very honest and informative discussion starting from the beginning. That's one of the reason I decided to make the source open and free, instead of selling it or having some limited licensing.

4. Hanan

Hanan

Hey, been a long time lurker but seeing this project compelled me to post! I've been wondering for a while what kind of techniques minecraft employs to generate its terrains and cave systems and found looking through this project in its current state very informative. What kind of direction do you see this project heading? One aspect I would like see with this system is the option to generate sloping blocks of various angles to lessen the cubiness of the world for people more interested in the procedural generation of shapes and voxel terrains rather than the making of a minecraft clone.

I like how so far it is very easy to modify and create new decorative objects- after a few minutes of fiddling I was able to create palm trees.

DatJGuy likes this.
  5. ippdev

ippdev

Google Ads are covering up the download link on OS X Safari. Virgin Airways is blocking my minecraft demo!

BTH

6. Stolenbows

Stolenbows

wow thats awesome

7. lochlainn1066

lochlainn1066

That was the very latest thing we discussed on the thread in the Gossip forum. Go there and join in. That thread is the very reason I came out of lurking.

Love the trees. Take the next step! Break all the trees out into their own code, so they can be plopped down procedurally regardless of style.

Multi-use mineable voxel terrain is teh coolz.

8. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Just a quick note, I wasn't planning on continuing the discussion on the gossip forum, though others are free to do so. I felt like a dedicated place focused on the project was a better home for it, thus the discussion forum on sourceforge.

I'd like to do slopes, very much, but I'm still working on the basics...I'm working on putting infinite terrain generation back in. Of course, others are totally encourage to contribute with sloping solutions, better tree/decoration generation methods, etc.

Yoonatee...love the palm trees :)

9. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Please check out the sourceforge site :) My goal is to make this an awesome starter package for anyone wanting to make their own games. I also encourage others to lend in cool ideas. I like your palm trees, if you want to share the code, I'll add it into the tree generators as another type of tree in the starter package...I wanted to have 2 or three different types. Maybe a pine tree would be nice.

Here is a link to the forum:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/minepackage/forums/forum/1314602

[Edit]....is that lololol in text, in the bottom of the screenshot? :D :D

10. Hanan

Hanan

Haha yeah there was an empty slot in one of the scripts for a gui text so I just chucked that in to see if anything would come up but it remained 'lololol' when running. ;)

I've also added some Norfolk Island pine trees to the mix. One thing that bugs me about minecraft is the world can be so bland at times when it isn't that hard to add some nice variation to the landscapes like different foliage shapes.

11. zakdank

zakdank

are you still developing this??

12. SpiderPork

SpiderPork

Hey there!

I must say this is quite impressing, but is there any way I can change the world's size?

13. zakdank

zakdank

i know he said he has been working on infinite terrain.

14. SpiderPork

SpiderPork

Cool, thanks for the info.

One more thing - how could I script block placement depending on which chunk's face you click? Just like Minecraft? So if you click on the South face, it creates a chunk south of the chunk you clicked.

Thanks in advance.

15. sdsmith64

sdsmith64

I would like to know if this can be done with a pre made world. Instead of regenerating a new world every time. I would like to have a town where the player starts. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  16. Mauri

Mauri

It will be cool if you could build a rendering feature like in minecraft because my laptop cant handle
    such unity-big-filled-games like yours :/ Minecraft itself is working fine :p

Anyway, your project rocks!

17. miner

miner

Any idea how you could create the inventory interface? im tryin and failin at it

18. J_P_

J_P_

Really love the idea! Personally don't have any desire to make a Minecraft clone but I'll definitely keep this in mind if I come up with a novel idea for one :)

19. Wolfos

Wolfos

Looks cool, I like how you feel so much smaller than in Minecraft.

Noticed a bug: when you dig a hole of 1*1, you don't fit in that hole.

20. spg

spg

Cool project - you should adjust the camera clipping planes though. If you make a hole that's three or four blocks deep in the terrain and then jump in, you can see major clipping issues. The problem is visible in other situations, but this is the most obvious example.

Nice work!

21. lastphoenixstudios

lastphoenixstudios

downloading, hopefully this will help me with my own game. Its not really minecraft but does have some sandboxy features. This could assist in world gen.

22. dvidunis

dvidunis

can you add things like block placing and inventory i REALLY NEED THIS!!

23. ali31

ali31

If you can't figure out how to do it yourself, maybe you shouldn't try using premade packages. The scripting reference is your best friend.

24. zakdank

zakdank

Hi, since discovering this project , i have actually become a part of the development team, we have been hitting some walls recently and would love any support on our source forge forums, just post on there if your willing to help! thanks!

25. ligert123

ligert123

Hey thanks for making this package but i have a few questions will this work on ipod and android, what language is this in and what is the size of the chunks

26. CosmoKing

CosmoKing

That's what you get for digging straight down. :)

27. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Is this dead? Doesn't look like there's been a check in for 3 months.

28. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Very cool, thanks!

29. Bob5602

Bob5602

This is awesome. I'm gonna look through it and try to re-write for my own idea. If anyone has suggestions on how to make it work, I'd love to hear it. Basically what I want to do, is split it up even more. Have 64 smaller cubes for every regular cube and a setting that tells the engine if its a split up cube or not. So you can have a whole terrain of big cubes, but when you start 'picking' at them, you can just remove a small chunk out of each one, making that cube split into a number of smaller cubes.

30. eevielution

eevielution

I know this thread is slightly old, but does anyone have any idea how I would go about saving the chunks and world, creating a loading screen, or slightly altering the terrain to be something like small hills? I am trying to decode the C# bit by bit but it is not my language, JavaScript is what I use (after experience in ActionScript for Flash). If anyone has any information, please do share!

31. gore23

gore23

Is it possible for you to help show how made this or help with learning the scripting needed to make something like this ?

32. TehWut

TehWut

Dang......
    I thought this project really had potential, too bad it died..

33. TehWut

TehWut

[double post removed]

34. maynull

maynull

Hey there, this is great project.. really.. Are you still making progress with MinePackage ? It seems here that you stopped but I saw some older posts then this one shows that you're making progress. And are you able to provide some guidelines about all codes and stuff ? I'm checking codes but kinda lost atm. So If I can contact you from anywhere that'd be nice..

35. XavLar

XavLar

Please keep working on this! you're the only developer making something like minecraft that gives his source code away so we can all learn!

36. raistlinthewiz

raistlinthewiz

37. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Sorry, I'm not sure what techcraft is. But no, MinePackage was built from research and discussion, and information shared by others from this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/63149-After-playing-minecraft...

Where people have taken their own projects a lot further. But, I'm no longer working on this project.

38. Moonlight

Moonlight

I know you said that you are no longer working on this project, but I was wondering if you could answer a simple question. I was going through the code trying to figure out exactly how you have your lighting set up. I would like to use actual directional lights for all my lighting (except for lights that the player places, eg: torches), but the problem I am having is that when I remove any of the code that has to do with lighting, everything turns black, no matter what. It's like the lights are not even affecting the chunk meshes at all! I have tried everything I can think of, and I am wondering if there is some part of the code that I just missed. Could you do me a huge favor and just tell me where all the lighting comes from and the easiest way to get rid of it. I have been trying everything I can think of for about a week now and I am just starting to get frustrated. I would really appreciate it if you took the time to help me out real quick.

Thanks in advance!

39. XavLar

XavLar

Those pieces of code you removed are apart of the Shader which is very important if you want your blocks to have colour/texture and deph, hence "Everything turned black".

40. Moonlight

Moonlight

ok... so how would I go about removing the lighting then? I want to remove the lighting from the blocks and use standard directional lights. I don't know anything about shaders so could you help me out with that?

41. Moonlight

Moonlight

ok... so how would I go about removing the lighting then? I want to remove the lighting from the blocks and use standard directional lights. I don't know anything about shaders so could you help me out with that?

42. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Very nice package! I'm going to try integrating this into my game. Is it possible to use, for example, a marching cubes algorythm on this, or would that involve a complete overhaul of the terrain?

43. SevenBits

SevenBits

This looks very nice. I will have to play the web player and - gasp - maybe even download it.

44. Duskling

Duskling

Dropbox is 404 :(

45. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Odd. I'll see what's up.

46. RSH1

RSH1

I've been looking at the source code and so far have failed to understand how the blocks are textured. I see the images in the 'Textures' folder but can't find the actual code which assigns them beyond "GenerateUVCoordinatesForAllBlocks()". Could anyone point me to the code which links the texture files with the blocks please?

47. Robwhitlow3

Robwhitlow3

That code doesn't work at all -__-

48. Scimitar

Scimitar

Is this still an ongoing project, or is the solution as finished as it will be?

It's a great kickstart into a project and I applaud your decicion to share it, but the lack of documentation makes it rather difficult to understand what exactly is going on. It also seems like a lot of the code is ununsed, without any indication what code is used and what isn't.

49. chrisall76

chrisall76

Great start off kit, just need a bit more documentation and customization.
    My question is how would I make the blocks smaller? I'm trying to make a game a bit
    like CubeWorld but I can't find in the code where it picks the block size.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  50. SevenBits

SevenBits

Use an ad blocker, dude.

Also: why use Sourceforge? Github is traditional for open sourced projects. Hmm, maybe I'll add some code to this. Might be useful, after all...