Unity Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Location
    Mt. Rose Hwy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    However, the disgustingly slow pace of development of Blender 2.6 has really been putting me off.
    Seriously? How long did it take NT to release a major upgrade between LW10 till 11?

2. Posts
    I'm going with Blender because of price, free training or really inexpensive (CG Cookie), and the gee whiz features that supposedly make the other expensive commercial products so good and so easy aren't exportable via FBX anyway.

But the main reason is no matter which of these modeling programs you choose they are all tedious and frustrating to learn and this is coming from someone that has sorted through pages of uncommented code to find intermittent bugs reported from the field.

I did try the demo of C4D and the models were easier to build but the features used to make the model so easy to build were not exportable via FBX so I wound up from having a very nice smooth nurbs based model in C4D to a ultra-low poly FBX model that was broken. Ultra-low poly model meaning the FBX looked awful and I saw no way to tell C4D, "Hey, how about a few more polys to better represent those nurbs via a detail slider or something?"

3. Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    I'm going with Blender because of price, free training or really inexpensive (CG Cookie), and the gee whiz features that supposedly make the other expensive commercial products so good and so easy aren't exportable via FBX anyway.

But the main reason is no matter which of these modeling programs you choose they are all tedious and frustrating to learn and this is coming from someone that has sorted through pages of uncommented code to find intermittent bugs reported from the field.

I did try the demo of C4D and the models were easier to build but the features used to make the model so easy to build were not exportable via FBX so I wound up from having a very nice smooth nurbs based model in C4D to a ultra-low poly FBX model that was broken. Ultra-low poly model meaning the FBX looked awful and I saw no way to tell C4D, "Hey, how about a few more polys to better represent those nurbs via a detail slider or something?"
    Top left of C4D viewport there is a "Make Editable" button (viewed as two spheres and two arrows). Just select your object/s and click that button. It will then turn the object/s into a polygon mesh including any modifier settings (like HyperN'URBS object etc) that you have attached to your low poly mesh. FBX will then export it correctly. Since FBX can't recognise C4D modifiers it is only exporting polygon meshes when you exported earlier. The only one that existed was your low poly mesh. C4D modifiers are non destructive hence will not permanently alter your low poly mesh until you tell it to with the Make Editable button

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artzfx View Post
    Top left of C4D viewport there is a "Make Editable" button (viewed as two spheres and two arrows). Just select your object/s and click that button. It will then turn the object/s into a polygon mesh including any modifier settings (like HyperN'URBS object etc) that you have attached to your low poly mesh. FBX will then export it correctly. Since FBX can't recognise C4D modifiers it is only exporting polygon meshes when you exported earlier. The only one that existed was your low poly mesh. C4D modifiers are non destructive hence will not permanently alter your low poly mesh until you tell it to with the Make Editable button
    Thanks a lot.

5. Posts
    are we talking about prices? Blender is free period and if you never 3d modeled before then you will be in luck to learn it and grow with it.

if you used Softimage, 3DS Max, Maya, or any other program then good luck trying to learn Blender with its horrible controls, and I stress that a lot I never used C4D but I heard its ok, but I took a look at the C4D web site and it seems Prime ( i guess that the lower level C4D) cost about $945? while Blender is free.

If anything I will say Softimage is the best and very easy program to use, but the price tag $3,145 will turn anyone away even me.

One good thing about Blender is it does have cool stuff that you wont find in a lot of programs, like texture painting, 3d sculpting, a tree generator etc.
    but in the end a 3d program is a 3d program, and everyone is use to there program. for me Softimage is favorite program to use .

6. Posts
    I'm VERY interested in animating, but I can't find any tutorials for Cinema 4D. Please respond
    Quote Originally Posted by the_motionblur View Post
    Of those two - Cinema4D - most recent version. You don't have a choice which version to chose with C4D either way
    Read through the various threads, here. Cinema still needs a few features for really flawless game export, still but it's geting better.

Personally I am using Cinema4D for the most part because I find it more intuitive to use and used Blender (up untill the version change) for polymodeling because the tools are way faster.
    My sculpting application is ZBrush paired with Topogun.

Really - it's just a matter of personal preference, though.
    Cinema at least is way easier to get into if you're new to 3D.

Cheers

7. Posts

Carrara 8.0 Pro

What about Carrara 8.0 Pro as an alternative to Blender and tonema4D ?
    Carrara is as user friendly as Cinema 4d but much cheaper
    It can export FBX animated files to Unity, whithout any issue, as faras I know, while Cinema 4d is reported to have some flaws
    It can import/ export from/to DAZ3D and Poser which are a precious sources of models,postures and animations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12