Search Unity

Has anyone made an MMORPG with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tatelax, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatelax

tatelax

I have seen a lot of posts recently about people trying to make MMORPG's. The only thing I have never seen on the web, is an actual MMORPG that has been made with Unity, and is completed. I can only find development videos from 1 year ago of failed attempts.

2. CrossGuard-Games

CrossGuard-Games

Didn't cartoon network make fusion fall with it...?

3. tosha96

tosha96

4. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

I saw in showcase, cublands it was called, M2H guys did it.

5. TestPilot

TestPilot

Dawn of The Tyrant is the only one I know. Still in development.

Nikolay116: Cubalands are not an RPG. Not even close!
    As for being MMO - I don't think so either. Just a network game. Max 16 or 32 players per "world". And no connections between games, player had to quite current game and then join new one from the list of servers. Unless they changed something recently.

6. tatelax

tatelax

If so few people have even done it, than why are people that are new to Unity and game development trying to make an MMORPG?

7. galent

galent

hehe, if you find a good answer to that question...let the rest of us know :)

(my best guess is, innocents is bliss... they just don't have enough information to even discuss the scope of what they're trying to do... 3yrs into that pet project and most will be the ones in the Collaboration forum pouncing on every new MMO request they find :D)

Cheers,

Galen

8. TestPilot

TestPilot

It is possible. As tosha96 pointed out, there is successful MMORPG developed with Unity. Plus the biggest and most popular game in the world, the one that already brought billions $$$ in sales is an actually MMORPG. This kind of things inspire people. Especially ones that have no clue of how to do it.

9. EyeSix

EyeSix

Isn't the new Battlestar Galactica MMORPG made with Unity? I know it's not out yet, but it is coming. As for people wanting to make mmorpg's themselves... It is because they're inspired by the games they play, and they probably have great ideas for moving the genre forward, but as we can all attest to, regardless of skill level (and I believe this will be true of all game developers, film-makers etc), their reach will always exceed their grasp.

10. stimarco

stimarco

In fairness, if you lower your sights a little and drop the "Massively" part of the equation, there's not all that much more involved in an MORPG than in an ordinary RPG, and it could make for an interesting series of tutorials.

The hard part is the server-side elements. I did have a thought recently that the UT folks could release a headless "Unity Cloud" version of Unity that can be run on one of the new cloud services—e.g. Amazon's. This would create a turnkey solution for many developers.

Of course, there's no reason why such a server app should be limited to games either!

11. tatelax

tatelax

I have made my own online game, complete with master server, a lobby, and more. It wasn't easy and I have been using Unity for almost 2 years. I couldn't imagine someone making an MMO with no experience, no matter how much dedication they have.

Anyways, I have seen that Dawn of the Tyrant video on Youtube and that looks pretty cool. I love how Unity gives professional game development to everyone. I just wanted to thank everyone at Unity for this.

12. Ayrik

Ayrik

We made Captains of DarkTide, an MMORPG that was playable and released into Open Beta before it was purchased by a publisher. Also, all of BigPoint's new 3D web games are made in Unity, and a lot of those are MMOs, but I don't think any from them have been released yet.

13. galent

galent

14. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

I guess you gotta know web a bit at least and its implication on the gamedev process. This is what most of people trying to make MMO lack

15. galent

galent

Oh, I could list a whole host of skills/knowledge on the networking dev side alone, but, since these folks have recently done this with Unity, I thought it might be nice if they could share some insights. Mostly for the benefit of those people new to game dev (whom we've been discussing here), as they tend to discount any insights not taken from a recent attempt. Of course, any insights would be helpful for all (I would think).

Cheers,

Galen

16. SnowCone

SnowCone

A team I am currently working with are aiming for one next year. It's going quite well, in fact! It's nice to be a part of the development.

17. Nemox

Nemox

Y'know, that's a really interesting way to think about it.

Start with a G. If you can make a G, you can expand upon it.

Then, make it an RPG. Learn how to make all the stats and stuff, combat and whatnot. Then make a MRPG; a local multiplayer RPG you can play with a friend who is next to you. Lay out all the framework so it's seamless to make 1,2, or even up to 4 players doing splitscreen or something.

Then make it an MORPG, taking it to the next level. And lastly, once all the framework is complete, the other M.

Sorry if that was random at all.

18. JRavey

JRavey

It wasn't random, it was sensible. If you can't make a single server which hosts 12 players running around doing quests, you aren't going to host 1,200 and certainly not 12,000.

19. cooljerry96

cooljerry96

im 1 of those people lol the irony im going to make an mmorpg in unity also its fps

20. cooljerry96

cooljerry96

im one of those people trying to do that and im new to unity

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm pretty sure I could make an MMORPG in about two weeks, it would be called "99.999 % meadow I slapped on a server" or Misonas for short".

Featuring:

Lack of anti-cheat
    One character player per everyone
    Only two shades of textures for the whole terrain
    One tree randomly splatted
    Poor performance across the board
    Stickmen instead of player characters
    One re-spawning skeleton
    No quests to do with anyone
    No character creation system
    One loot item, the amulet of no textures

And finally A UI system that could cause potential eye injuries.. Buy the special collectors edition and be limited to a crafting system I made on a whim. (May include bugs everywhere)..

LOL :), Making an MMORPG is easy.. Making it good takes years, even filling the space with enough assets could take a team of artists a solid year.

MMORPG's are not particularly the most difficult thing to do but if you want anything approaching a mediocre level of quality they are EXTREMELY time consuming , but if you're going to throw away 120+ hours a week of your life I'd probably spend it on something that wouldn't take you 5+ years alone. It's really a large team thing and even then I'm 50/50 on whether they are a good idea to do or not as an Indie.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  22. Glader

Glader

It's probably more of a time thing than a difficulty thing for the reason we see so few. The only reason you see a bunch of flappy birds is because it's probably like 200 lines to write. The reason you probably don't see many mmorpgs is because you might write 200 lines for a single bit of intangible functionality.

I have 3000 lines of servercode that essentially doesn't even do anything lol. It's just a real sink in time for programmers, artists and everyone else involved in content creation.

23. Meltdown

Meltdown

This is the way I see it. You get a couple of guys who are in a clan in their favourite MMO. then one of them finds out about Unity, and they're like "Hey, we can make our own MMO, and be rich like Blizzard and have 1 bazillion monthly subscribers.. our super flappy pig-horse MMO will be unique with the best quests and skill tree"

Now do you really think they want to learn how to make Pong first?

Nope, they look on the asset store, and see MMO Starter Kits and pre-made character models and their eyes light up with joy, this dream MMO is within their grasp...

They put together a bit of terrain, place some assets, take some screenshots, start a recruitment thread because they need another 20 people.. then they hit a wall and realise there is a LOT of work involved.. and then quite simply.. enthusiasm dies down.. and they quit.

What they should do is start with Pong, and a few other small games, and build up confidence and skills, then tackle the MMO after about 6 or 7 completed game titles.

But to be honest, these people don't want to build up skills and confidence, they just want a quick ticket to fame and fortune, and they find out there is no such thing in game development.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  24. npsf3000

npsf3000

You're also someone who is not aware of the concept of 'Necroing a thread'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.